PDA

View Full Version : Do any Chinese sword arts have drawing techniques?

kal
01-27-2007, 08:01 AM
Some of the original Japanese sword arts have very highly-developed methods for drawing the sword from its scabbard and cutting at the same time. It's usually called either iai or batto. Here is a superb example, taken from the Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CVBox1dnEd4

In comparison, all of the people I know who train with Chinese sword or sabre begin with the weapon already out of its scabbard.

Are there any Chinese sword arts that do practice drawing the sword as a fighting skill?

David Jamieson
01-27-2007, 08:18 AM
Drawing with a jian is a technique that isn't necessarily tied to it being pulled from it's scabbard.

Yes, there are similar blade techs across the board and transcending national arts. The shape of the blade generally determines the usage of it that has the most efficacy.

GeneChing
01-29-2007, 10:46 AM
Check out our 2005 Sword Special (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=567) - Emei Sword Drawing Skill - The Forgotten Art of Drawing the Jian By John P. Painter Ph. D. ND.

lunghushan
01-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Drawing the Jian is usually built into the form. A lot of forms start assuming you have the Jian in the scabbard. (therefore hitting with the handle of the sword or the scabbard as the first move).

Shaolinlueb
01-29-2007, 01:26 PM
there is no art you jsut put it out and start slashing, hacking at people and when its over you whipe off the blood and put it back in. ;)

Li Ma-Keh
02-16-2007, 06:08 AM
I remember seeing a Dao Lu,(braod-sword form), once at a competition being 'drawn' from its' scabbard. The student had the broad-sword/scabbard strapped over his shoulder, so that the sword would lie flat against his upper-back, with the handle of the sword aiming up over his left shoulder. If I remember correctly,.. the form opened with a standard Shao-Lin salute,(double-block - jump to the right & press palm/fist forward in an empty-stance),.then he circled his right-arm over to his left-shoulder, grabbed the sword-handle and drew it out & down to his right-side then back, while his left-side-palm pressed forward in an empty-stance,(somewhat like the Tai-Ji Jien technique; 'shoot wild geese'). The form itself was o.k.,..basic braodsword movment ,(Southern-style),...and the competator wasn't 'goofy' looking or acting, ie; 'overly' dressed, or SCREAMING or chanting incorrect pronounciations of Chinese words,...you know, the stuff that makes the Judges embarassed, or makes you think 'he' made it up,..lol'. It was actually pretty cool! Li Ma-Keh

GeneChing
02-16-2007, 10:53 AM
If you look at western fencing, there's an acknowledgment of unsheathing the sword within 1st position. Of course, western fencing is based on dueling, so it's assumed the blades were already drawn by the time they actually got to combat. In many classical schools, the 'draw' is built into the salute, which typically begins in 1st position.

Japanese styles have iaido, which concentrates on the quick draw. I remember my kendo/iaido sensei saying that while iaido was part of the disciple, it's not considered as 'honorable' as kendo, since you're essentially attacking some one by surprise. Again, this echoes the code of dueling.

In the Chinese styles, it's pretty rare. Aside from the article I mentioned above, and a few unique forms that implement the scabbard like Li Ma-Keh mentions, I've also seen it referenced in a book about long sword. I didn't buy that book, so I don't remember the title exactly, but it was about a long dao like weapon, a two-handed sword, which was worn in a scabbard over the back. It was too long to be drawn by the user (this is a frequent oversight when people wear back scabbards). So, in this book, there was this sequence for two soldiers to draw each other's sword. I thought that was really amusing and almost bought the book for that alone, but passed it by, probably because my budget was tight then.

PangQuan
02-16-2007, 11:08 AM
i know one japanese method for fast drawing is to push the blades edge into the scabard as you start your draw, iai.

this will help increase the speed of your draw, as well as control. the grove that the blade will ride in will create minimal resistance for your blades release, vs. having much contact with the sides or back of the blade. as the grove has been, essentially, developed for this purpose through practice.

i would assume many blades could use this method for drawing.