PDA

View Full Version : OT: Stupid Americans

Flying-Monkey
01-27-2007, 05:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfRUMmTs0ZA

Sorry if this was posted before.

RonH
01-27-2007, 07:09 PM
While I admit there are plenty of stupid people of all ages in this country, I can't watch anything with that tool in it, especially if it's his segment.

SanHeChuan
01-27-2007, 09:04 PM
Almost made me re-think becoming a teacher.

FuXnDajenariht
01-27-2007, 10:09 PM
omg! tell me that old broad did NOT just say "stay the course" with a straight face. :rolleyes:

David Jamieson
01-27-2007, 11:05 PM
in a nutshell, here's how it is.

People are easier to control and manipulate when their heads are empty and their bellies are full.

Not everyone is aware of the greater agenda, and many willingly buy into it without question to keep that belly full.

rogue
01-28-2007, 05:56 AM
Somehow my son's have yet to have a bad teacher. My kids lowest grades are the mid-80's, most of their grades are in the mid90's. Both boys are achieving big in their schools in academics, sports and music.

Here's what I know about getting your kids edumacated. First it's all about the parents, you have to be involved. We worked very closely with our kid's teachers. When our kids had a problem with something we talked with their teacher to find out what we could do to help out our kid and the teacher. Every teacher knew they could call us and report a problem with our kids without us blaming the teacher. If our kids made a trip to the principle's office, I made a phone call to talk with the principle to find out what happened, he would also receive a written apology from the young offender along with a hand written page or two of "I will not [fill in the blank] again".

What this resulted in was a team made up of the kid, the teachers, the principle and us, and that team was about problems being solved instead of fingers pointed.

SPJ
01-28-2007, 08:20 AM
each child is different so the path or learning curve is different.

the teach can only discover the differences in each child and guide them along indiviually.

it is not about the money.

it is about the time that the teach, parents, firends, society/TV media/paper/books etc the child gets.

education is a life long journey, we learn something new each day or life experience in general, a visit to the zoo, museum, even just nature. there is knowledge to discover.

education is not limited to the classroom time or school yard.

heck I spent more time study whatever than the actual classtime.

that is entirely in your hand and not the government/state or federal.

--

lkfmdc
01-28-2007, 09:42 AM
me fail english, unpossible! :D

tank g'd there are no stupid people in Europe :rolleyes:

AJM
01-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Rogue. That was spot on. Who are you and what have you done with Rogue?

Shaolinlueb
01-28-2007, 11:07 AM
kids arriving to school doped up. hahaha i have seen it in my school and drunk off their minds. its america, for everystupid kid we have plenty fo smart ones.

rogue
01-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Rogue. That was spot on. Who are you and what have you done with Rogue?

I suffer from multiple personality disorder. :D

BTW, thanks.:)

mattb
01-28-2007, 06:53 PM
Somehow my son's have yet to have a bad teacher. My kids lowest grades are the mid-80's, most of their grades are in the mid90's. Both boys are achieving big in their schools in academics, sports and music.

Here's what I know about getting your kids edumacated. First it's all about the parents, you have to be involved. We worked very closely with our kid's teachers. When our kids had a problem with something we talked with their teacher to find out what we could do to help out our kid and the teacher. Every teacher knew they could call us and report a problem with our kids without us blaming the teacher. If our kids made a trip to the principle's office, I made a phone call to talk with the principle to find out what happened, he would also receive a written apology from the young offender along with a hand written page or two of "I will not [fill in the blank] again".

What this resulted in was a team made up of the kid, the teachers, the principle and us, and that team was about problems being solved instead of fingers pointed.Unfortunately it seems less and less parents are willing to put the time that it takes into being a parent. But my hats off to you sir for doing it right.

But from my experiences, the last 15min of that video is another big reason. I graduated in '96 and in my 4 years, I think I had 2 teachers that intended on being teachers in the first place. Some that I talked to liked the "easy workload" and extended vacation time. :rolleyes:

This is another video that made me cringe a little:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr1qee-bTZI&mode=related&search=

I know last year my niece who was in 1st grade at the time, was already starting to work with calculators. Talking to some other people, in the couple districts around here they did away with learning multiplication tables, fractions and division a few years ago! Though I "hear" they are planning to bring all that back within the next year, and do away with the calculators.

No, I don't have any idea why today's kids are just this side of being vegetables. :rolleyes:

FuXnDajenariht
01-28-2007, 08:43 PM
truthfully, honestly...i had to give up on school to learn just about anything. i stopped taking school serious in the 6th grade. i taught myself most of what i know now.

im surprised they're just figuring out what us 40-50% drop out rate kids knew years ago. trade school is your best bet nowadays, also relatives with connections in whatever bizness your interested in, that and college and thats IF you can afford the **** tuition for a decent one.

you wont get anywhere in public school sad to say. but if its not the ALL of the students and its certainly not ALL of the teachers, i know everyone knows atleast one good one, and funding sure isn't the problem.... i also know that most of our parents aren't the deadbeats that teachers try to paint them out to be. modern life is hectic especially for a single mom like mines is.

if thats the case then i wonder why they never thought to change the curriculum and the way they teach us kids? they dont teach anyone to think for themselves anymore, to think critically. the little bit of HS that i was present for reminded me of Attack of the Clones....

but i guess you can't have a good consumer/cheap labor society with critical thinkers like DJ said.

FuXnDajenariht
01-28-2007, 08:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr1qee-bTZI&mode=related&search=

all of my math teachers were the worst. lol thats why i now have absolutely no love for the stuff. i think its probably becuz math is the hardest subject to convey to someone. dont even get me started on the language barrier some of them had with us. prolly the worst subject to have heavily accented English with.

all my social studies/history teachers were my favorite though. they were the best ones i had in my opinion, but that might be because i had a natural love of the subject. i'd like to think they brought that out in me though. some of my SS teachers were the most passionate ones i had. also some of my science teachers which i also always enjoyed as a result.