http://www.shareapic.net/content.php?gid=22359&owner=zatoichi

Tip Top Martial Arts Actress ,
Do you like her ?

Does the Pope **** in the woods?
Does a bear wear a funny hat?

Err, wait a minute ... I think you get the point though :D

unkokusai
01-30-2007, 10:27 AM
Eh, she's gettin' a little long in the tooth...

lui1828
01-30-2007, 11:57 AM
Michelle was a former Miss Singapore/ or was it Malaysia ? in the 1980's.

For her age she still looks good. She did a commercial for a Maylasia/singapore Travel Board. It is on youtube and she looks Hot. She is one classy women

Li Kao
01-30-2007, 12:50 PM
I had a thread about her not too long ago ... http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44338

Unko -- You're no spring chicken either!

unkokusai
01-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Unko -- You're no spring chicken either!

So I should know!!!

AJM
01-30-2007, 04:24 PM
Eh, she's gettin' a little long in the tooth...

What are you, like thirteen?:D

Shaolinlueb
01-30-2007, 10:45 PM
my dad is in love with her. she is engaged to some fat dude who manges the ferrari formula 1 team. :rolleyes:

jethro
01-31-2007, 01:18 AM
Yeah, Ferrari's are just my favorite. I also have also have a couple of other race teams I manage.

Shaolinlueb
02-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Yeah, Ferrari's are just my favorite. I also have also have a couple of other race teams I manage.

hahahahahahahaha nice man.

Li Kao
02-13-2007, 12:14 AM
Since I never get tired of talking about Michelle, here is a link to the trailer of her upcoming movie Sunshine. It's a sci-fi space movie directed by Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, 28 Days Later). Not sure if it will be good or corny but on the one hand, it's nice to see Michelle branching out a bit from her typical femme fatale role (though I'll never tire of watching her kick some butt.) ;)

Hishaam
02-13-2007, 10:18 AM
my dad is in love with her. she is engaged to some fat dude who manges the ferrari formula 1 team. :rolleyes:

Are you talking about Jean Todt :confused: not to belittle the man, but him and Yeoh, the ****ed *******. :mad: :p

edit:
Didn't know that D A M N E D B A S T A R D was part of the filtered words.

jethro
02-13-2007, 09:26 PM
now ya do:p

GeneChing
09-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Deleted from Fearless (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41304), panned in Geisha (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39390) and Sunshine, but honored in France.

Yeoh to receive French honor (http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/2073/1/)
Written by Patrick Frater
Monday, 10 September 2007

HONG KONG – Seems Michelle Yeoh, one of Asia 's favorite actresses, is also a hit with the French cultural elite.

The Malaysian-born actress who attained fame as the Hong Kong film industry's top female action star in the 1990s, is to receive the Legion of Honor (Chevalier de la Legion d'Honneur), a French civil honor.

The medal will be presented to her at a ceremony in Kuala Lumpur on Oct 3.

Yeoh, whose credits include "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and "Tomorrow Never Dies," most recently starred in the Asik Kapadia-helmed "Far North," which preemed last week in Venice . She will next be seen in Roger Spottiswoode-directed "The Children of Huang-shi" and French director Mathieu Kassovitz's " Babylon A.D."

doug maverick
09-25-2007, 12:24 PM
actually i read alot of the revues for that movie and she was the only one out of three chinese girls who actually got praised for her role.

Jimbo
09-25-2007, 09:03 PM
I liked her best in Yes, Madam when she stole the show away from Cynthia Rothrock (IMO).

I saw her in Sunshine. The movie was just okay, but her role in it could have been played by anyone, and neither she nor Hiroyuki Sanada have much to do in the film. Sunshine is a *bit* like a combination of Event Horizon and the first Alien movie.

Michelle is 45, but she's aging really well.

GeneChing
10-05-2007, 12:26 PM
...now Michelle is a French Knight

Michelle Yeoh receives top French award (http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/10/4/nation/19077071&sec=nation)
By PARVEEN GILL

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian actress Datuk Michelle Yeoh, who shot to international stardom after her role as a Bond girl in Tomorrow Never Dies, has been made a “Knight” of the Legion of Honour by the French Government.

French Ambassador to Malaysia Alain du Boispean presented the Chevalier award to the 45-year-old Hong Kong-based actress at a ceremony at his residence on behalf of the French President yesterday.

Michelle, dressed in a grey Cavalli gown, said: “I am truly honoured to receive such a great honour and I would like to dedicate this award to my family.

“I would also like to share this award to not only Malaysians here but also in France, who have been working hard to strengthen the bilateral relationship between both countries.

Memorable occasion: Du Boispean and Yeoh sharing a light moment after she was conferred the award in Kuala Lumpur last night.
“I promise to be a worthy representative of both countries.”

Yeoh, well-known for performing her own stunts in action films, was presented the award – established by legendary French leader Napoleon Bonaparte in 1802 – for her involvement in various charity organisations throughout the world.

Du Boispean told Yeoh: “By conferring the highest distinction, France would like to pay a special tribute to your outstanding performing talent, to the exceptional place you occupy in the multiple worlds of cinema – be they Asian martial arts, Hollywood or international cinema.”

Yeoh, who is the fiancee of Ferrari chief Datuk Jean Todt, is actively involved in organisations such as AIDS Concern Hong Kong, American Foundation for AIDS Research, Brain Centre Foundation, Force of Nature Foundation, Hong Kong Cancer Fund, Institute of Cerebral and Medullary Disorders and Save China's Tigers.

The 1983 Miss Malaysia, who was listed by People magazine as one of the 50 most beautiful women in the world in 1997, is the 12th Malaysian to have been accorded the Legion of Honour since 1998.

GeneChing
03-18-2008, 11:37 AM
for the Asia Injury Prevention Foundation

Michelle Yeoh in Hanoi (http://english.vietnamnet.vn/lifestyle/2008/03/773976/)
15:09' 18/03/2008 (GMT+7)

VietNamNet Bridge – Malaysian movie star Michelle Yeoh is now in Hanoi as the Goodwill Ambassador of traffic safety for the Asia Injury Prevention Foundation.

The star of “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” arrived in Vietnam in the evening on March 13. She paid visits to victims of traffic accidents at the Hanoi-based Vietnam-Germany Hospital and the Central Pediatrics Hospital, and Protect helmet factory on March 16.

On March 17, the actress visited Hanoi-Amsterdam High School to talk with students about the importance of helmets, had a walk around Hoan Kiem Lake, and attended a press conference on traffic safety for Vietnamese children.

This morning, March 18, she presented helmets to students of Tay Son primary school.

Michelle Yeoh will stay in Hanoi till March 19. During this time she will visit the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, some museums and other victims of traffic accidents.

This is the second visit to Vietnam by Michelle Yeoh in her ten years as Goodwill Ambassador of traffic safety and a representative of the Asia Injury Prevention Foundation.

Yeoh is one of the top Asian movie stars, famous for martial arts and action films. Miss Malaysia 1983 was selected as one of the most beautiful people in the world by People magazine in 1997. The magazine dubbed her “the queen of martial arts movies”. Yeoh has had no formal martial arts training; she relies on her dance training and instructors, and does many of her own stunts.

Michelle Yeoh started her film career acting in action and martial arts movies in Hong Kong such as The Heroic Trio in 1993, and the Yuen Woo-ping films Tai Chi Master and Wing Chun in 1994.

Like many other Hong Kong stars, Yeoh has attempted to break into Hollywood. She starred in the James Bond film Tomorrow Never Dies as Wai Lin (1997). In 2005, Yeoh starred as the graceful Mameha in the film adaptation of Memoirs of a Geisha. This year a Hollywood movie, “The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor”, will go to theatre and feature a role by Yeoh.

SteveLau
03-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Well, Michelle is a good actor. But in behind the screen movie staffs (producer, director, etc.), she is not so good.

She did very well in international movies like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Tomorrow never dies. Also, I think she had good performances in other international movies made in the last 5 years.

Regards,

KC
Hong Kong

GeneChing
04-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Once a Bond girl, always a Bond girl...

Pleasing reunion for Michelle Yeoh and Bond director (http://star-ecentral.com/news/story.asp?file=/2008/4/21/movies/20907296&sec=movies)
By SETO KIT YAN

Former Bond girl Datuk Michelle Yeoh works once again with the director of her Hollywood debut Bond flick.

DATUK Michelle Yeoh is a most energetic and industrious personality who is never shy of hard-work. This year, the leading Asian actress features in three Hollywood movies including Escape from Huang Shi (known earlier as The Children of Huang Shi), yet she makes it a point to include projects that are close to her heart such as the global road safety campaign that takes up much of her time and energy.

In Escape from Huang Shi, she portrays Madame Wang, a stately noblewoman-turned-merchant who helps Englishman George Hogg in his quest to spare 60 orphaned boys the horrors of the Japanese invasion by leading them 1,000km across the snow-covered Liu Pan Shan mountains to safety at the edge of the Mongolian desert.

“Madame Wang was a very strong, independent woman who lived in very difficult times and needed to survive in a treacherous world and war. She was blessed with an acute business acumen which probably saved her in such precarious times.
Datuk Michelle Yeoh and Jonathan Rhys Meyers in Escape from Huang Shi. In the film, Yeoh portrays Madame Wang, a stately noblewoman-turnedmerchant who helps Englishman George Hogg in his quest to spare orphaned boys (pic bottom) the horrors of the Japanese invasion.

“Meeting Mr Hogg reminded her of compassion and a sense of humanity she thought she had lost. And she made huge personal sacrifices for the children and Mr Hogg. If not for that, Hogg and the children would have perished. She was a friend that we all want to have,” said Yeoh in an e-mail interview.

Yeoh also revealed that she drew her inspiration from the many characters in her life. “Strong independent women I meet or watching female politicians... but mainly from Roger (Spottiswoode, the director of the film). He knew what each character had to bring to his story. I didn’t have to guess, and I like clarity especially when time was of essence.”

Calling hers a cameo role as she did not have many scenes in the movie, Yeoh, nonetheless, took on the role as she looked forward to working with Spottiswoode.

“His passion for this story, commitment to the dedication, and sufferings endured by the real characters; it was a story he wanted so movingly to tell.”

Yeoh first worked with the film director in 1997 when she made her Hollywood debut as Bond babe Wai Lin in Tomorrow Never Dies. Now, a decade later, she has much to say about him.

“Watching Roger work for this movie was seeing a director weaving his magic with sincere conviction in his art and love for this tale. He had lost so much weight, but the fire in his eyes burned so intensely, physically tired but mentally and spiritually strong!

“He spun each scene I had, whether with Jonathan Rhys Meyers (who plays Oxford graduate George Hogg) or Radha Mitchell (who plays Australian nurse Lee Pearson) with mastery, patience and gentleness. It was a pleasure to have this opportunity to work with Roger again, and I hope it will be a full length feature next time.”

Escape from Huang Shi is also her second Hollywood film with iconic Hong Kong actor Chow Yun-Fat after their last outing together in the Ang Lee-helmed Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000), which eventually became the highest-grossing foreign-language film in American history. However, it is a pity that they do not share any scenes together this time.

“The script had it that Chow and I weren’t in the same scenes. (My scenes were) mainly with Jonathan Rhys Meyers who is an amazingly intense and talented actor and the wonderful Radha Mitchell. I enjoyed immensely the short three days I had with them.

“I particularly enjoyed the one short scene with Radha Mitchell, she’s luminous and strong. I would liked to have gotten to know her better. (She is) so talented.”

What are her thoughts about Escape from Huang Shi?

“It is a very touching story of survival, love, humanity, horrors of war, but most of all one man’s search for truth, commitment and love to himself and for others. It was most moving to hear the survivors talk about Mr Hogg.”

Yeoh, 45, says she is privileged to have worked with some of the best, yet she is always seeking new challenges, and so her search continues with more films coming up.

Later this year, we’ll see her in a couple more Hollywood flicks. She plays a sorceress in Mummy 3: The Tomb of the Dragon Emperor which is due in cinemas late July and portrays a nun in Babylon AD that will be out early September.

Although her hectic schedule is packed, Yeoh still manages to fit in projects which are especially meaningful to her. As the Global Road Safety Ambassador for Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA), Yeoh is in the midst of shooting a documentary film for the Make Roads Safe Campaign directed by Richard Stanley.
Radha Mitchell, Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Chow Yun-Fat team up to save lives in Escape from Huang Shi.

“We’ve filmed, so far, in Hanoi on roads, schools, hospitals ... then Kuala Lumpur and New York. Next in South Africa, India.” In her capacity as Global Road Safety Ambassador, she urges people to wear helmets while riding on a motorcycle.

On March 31, Escape from Huang Shi premiered in China, but Yeoh had to be in New York at the United Nation’s General Assembly, where Chairman Commission for Global Road Safety Lord Robertson of Port Ellen together with other delegates made history.

The first ever global UN Conference on road safety was approved, in an effort to reduce the rapidly growing death toll on the world’s roads.

“The resolution was passed and we will have our first ministerial meeting on Road Safety in Russia in 2009. Meeting (UN Secretary General) Ban Ki-moon certainly was an honour.”

Yeoh is also scheduled to attend amfAR’s (American Foundation for AIDS Research) annual Cinema Against AIDS, to be held on May 22 during the 61st Cannes International Film Festival. She is set to serve as one of the chairs of the event along with several other prominent personalities including Hollywood stars like Sharon Stone and Madonna.

She has been voted once again by buyers and exhibitors as one of Hong Kong’s Most Desirable Actresses – along with Maggie Cheung, Carina Lau, Charlene Choi, Maggie Q, Cecilia Cheung and Malaysian Angelica Lee – in a survey done during the 2008 Hong Kong Filmart last month.

GeneChing
09-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Who cares about Michelle's brother...hold the phone...Big Milk Cow? ;)

Michelle Yeoh's brother photographed in intimate acts (http://www.asiaone.com/static/multimedia/gallery/100916_yeoh/)

Bobby Yeoh Lam Jit - the brother of Bond girl Datuk Michelle Yeoh - was photographed engaging in intimate acts with a starlet in a park in Hong Kong.

The 47-year-old businessman was seen kissing and fondling Joey Choi Wai-man, 39, at the park after some drinks.

Choi is known for her 37F breasts, for which she was nicknamed Big Milk Cow.

sanjuro_ronin
09-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Mazeltov !!
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jZkl5OXuPII/TIhamI1rs7I/AAAAAAAACdE/Hh3_imlhCus/s1600/busty-Choi-Wai-Man-make-out-park-outdoor-fool-around-yeung-nam-yan+(20).jpg

GeneChing
12-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Prequel Gets a Title, Takes Aim at Yeoh and Fassbender (http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/12/paradise_found_ridley_scotts_a.html?utm_source=fee dburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nymag%2Fvulture+%28Vulture+-+nymag.com%27s+Entertainment+and+Culture+Blog%29)

* 12/8/10 at 4:45 PM

Paradise Found: Ridley Scott’s Alien Prequel Gets a Title, Takes Aim at Yeoh and Fassbender
http://images.nymag.com/images/2/daily/2010/12/08_yeoh-fass_560x375.jpg
Photo: Eamonn McCormack/Getty Images, VINCENZO PINTO/AFP/Getty Images

Don't believe any rumors about Ridley Scott’s Alien prequel being pushed back a year. Our sources tell us Fox is definitely making it and that production starts in March. Last Thursday, an online report stated — incorrectly, it turns out — that the releases of Scott's back-to-back prequels were being moved to 2013 and 2014. Not so.

Here’s what’s really going on: Insiders familiar with the situation tell us that this is merely the echo of a failed effort to cast the movie with Leonardo DiCaprio. Initially, there was some talk at Scott Free of pushing back production to accommodate DiCaprio's schedule, so that he could shoot Clint Eastwood’s J. Edgar Hoover biopic back-to-back with Scott’s two-part Alien prequel. That, apparently, will not be happening — there will be no "push" to next year.

Oh, and by the way, let's stop calling it "Ridley Scott's Alien prequel" — the title is Paradise.

We're told that Paradise reboots the original Alien franchise, in that the story follows a group of space travelers who encounter a monstrous alien creature that picks them off, one by one. Since there's no working budget yet on the film, formal offers have not gone out to actors, but our spies tell us that several are at the top of Scott's list for leading roles.

By now, readers of this blog know that Noomi Rapace has been the front-runner for the role of “Elizabeth Shaw,” the film’s main character, but we’ve learned of other parts, too: There's "David," who's actually an android, an earlier version of the Bishop 341-B character that Lance Henriksen famously played in Aliens. We're told that Scott was interested in Michael Fassbender for the part, but that Fassbender's reps had sought such an outrageous amount of money for their client that they — forgive the pun — alienated Scott. Of course, there's still a chance that Fassbender's reps may salvage the talks, but things haven't been going so well.

We also hear that Scott hopes to give the part of “Vickers” — a fortysomething, tough-but-sexy woman — to crouching tigress Michelle Yeoh.

There are other interesting roles, including an older businessman along for the ride, but we’re most curious about the part of Engineer 1, who we’re told is to be "played" by a six-foot-five-inch actor, but will actually be entirely CGI, à la Gollum in The Lord of the Rings films.

Finally, still no word on the fate of Paradise visual effects designer Henry South, whose Twitter feed has been suspended ever since his November 9 tweet: “Started work on alien prequel today!! Absolutely stunning. Worth waiting till late 2011 for peeps!”

South had worked on the effects for Scott’s Robin Hood, as well as the forthcoming installments of Pirates of the Caribbean and Harry Potter, and has no doubt been called on the carpet by the super-secretive Scott.

Henry, Henry, Henry: In space no one can hear you scream, but in cyberspace, everyone can hear you tweet.
With this and the Aung San Suu Kyi project, Michelle is rocking it.

doug maverick
12-10-2010, 12:05 AM
looks like you posted too quick, gotta remember most of these so called "news" sites dont have fact checkers anymore...because they try and break the story first...so they dont wait for confirmation.

ALIEN Prequel NOT Called “Paradise”; Casting Reports False; Will Only Be One Movie
by Matt Goldberg Posted:December 9th, 2010 at 8:55 am

* 0diggsdigg

slice_alien_movie_image_xenomorph

Yesterday, it looked as if we were getting a huge amount of info on Ridley Scott’s Alien prequel. Vulture reported that the film was called “Paradise”, and that Michael Fassbender (Inglourious Basterds) and Michelle Yeoh (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) were being offered roles. But last night, Chris Petrikin, 20th Century Fox’s Senior Vice President of Corporate Communications, took to the Twitter machine to make some clarifications. He first stated that the title is not “Paradise”. Presumably, “Paradise” could just be an alias for the production. It did seem odd that Fox would make an Alien movie and not put the word “Alien” in the title.

In other clarification news, The Playlist reports that according to a source who’s close to the production, the casting rumors regarding Fassbender and Yeoh are “just plain wrong.” Hit the jump for more rumor control on the Alien prequel.

Petrikin also dispatched the long-held rumor that Scott was actually making two prequels back-to-back. The notion that Scott would be directing two Alien movies came from the director himself while he was doing press for Robin Hood. Here’s the transcript of what he said:

then again this is hollywood and maybe fox just wants to keep things under wraps until they are ready to announce it...so who really knows...but yeoh and fessbender would have been some great additions.

GeneChing
12-10-2010, 12:04 PM
So even if a news story is false, it's worth posting as long as it's cited and corrected (thanks for that, Doug). We've seen film projects evolve on many of the threads here, and I think that's actually rather fascinating. Plus the rumor mill can be very orchestrated, which is also a fascinating aspect of modern journalism. Case and point, the development of Green Hornet (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47340) has been hysterical. ;)

Here's more on Michelle's Suu Kyi project

Actress Yeoh meets Myanmar's Suu Kyi to discuss film (http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.reuters.com/actress-yeoh-meets-myanmars-suu-kyi-discuss-film-reuters)
Source: Reuters Tue Dec 07, 2010, 12:48 pm EST

YANGON (Reuters) - Malaysian actress Michelle Yeoh visited Myanmar at the weekend to discuss her plans to play the lead role in a new film about recently released pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

Yeoh, who is best known for playing Chinese spy Wai Lin alongside Pierce Brosnan in the 1997 James Bond film "Tomorrow Never Dies" spent Sunday with the Nobel Peace Prize winner to discuss the possibility of playing her in a movie.

The charismatic Suu Kyi, daughter of late independence hero Aung San and adored by many in Myanmar, spent 15 of the past 21 years in detention because of her fight against military dictatorship. She was released on November 13 after her latest period of house arrest expired.

"(Suu Kyi) saw her off at the airport this morning," said Nyan Win, Suu Kyi's lawyer and spokesman.

"Yeoh spent the whole day at Daw Suu's residence," he added, referring to Suu Kyi. "I understand she is planning to play her in a film in the near future."

Yeoh, 48, is also a dancer and is well known for performing her own stunts in action movies.

She has starred mostly in Asian films and was nominated for a BAFTA award for best actress for her role in Ang Lee's 2000 box office hit "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" which won four Oscars.

Brule
06-28-2011, 10:20 AM
http://en.news.maktoob.com/20090000842128/Myanmar_deports_Hollywood_star_Michelle_Yeoh/Article.htm

GeneChing
10-04-2011, 09:07 AM
The Lady - Official Trailer [HD] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSYz5YZi5xw)

GeneChing
10-12-2011, 09:40 AM
I'm only posting the intro - follow the link if you want to read the actual interview...

Michelle Yeoh (http://www.timeout.com.hk/feature-stories/features/45823/michelle-yeoh.html)
Posted: 9 Oct 2011

For years, Michelle Yeoh has lived and breathed the iconic Burmese freedom fighter Aung San Suu Kyi. In this exclusive interview, the actress speaks candidly to Mark Tjhung about how her controversial new movie The Lady changed her life forever.

As she swivels on her make-up stool while elegantly attired in a leggy champagne one-piece, Michelle Yeoh hardly resembles a kung fu movie star. She bubbles with an exuberant air, laughs in a way that shakes her tiny frame and, perhaps most strikingly of all, even at the age of 49, radiates a youthful grace – all characteristics that suggest ‘beauty queen’ far more than ‘stunt starlet’.

It was decades ago that the Malaysian-born actress was first branded with the ‘action girl’ tag. She’s since been labelled as ‘Hong Kong’s Martial Arts Mistress’ and even ‘Asia’s Queen of Action’. Indeed, her breakout movies, from 1992’s Police Story 3 to The Heroic Trio and Yuen Woo-ping’s Tai Chi Master, all possessed a combative twist; and the films that propelled her to global fame – her motorcycling Bond Girl role in Tomorrow Never Dies and Ang Lee’s elegant, wildly-acclaimed Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon – followed a distinctly ‘physical’ path. Yet in recent years, Yeoh has taken on more expansive, diverse roles outside the asskicking genre and, somewhat ironically, her latest role – easily the most important of her career – is about as non-violent as it gets.

In Luc Besson’s upcoming The Lady, Yeoh portrays Aung San Suu Kyi, the revered Burmese Nobel Peace Prize-winning freedom fighter who has led the non-violent opposition against Burma’s military junta. Yeoh has described this as the role of a lifetime. There have been whisperings about the potential for an Oscar nod, and The Lady, after debuting at the Toronto Film Festival last month, has already started making waves on both cinematic and political fronts.

In her first in-depth interview since the movie’s world premiere screening, the actress talks exclusively with Time Out about being deported from Burma and living, breathing (and then finally meeting) The Lady herself.

GeneChing
03-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Officer Michelle reminds me of Yes Madam, which I just watched again recently. It's the ultimate kung fu buddy flick, only the buddies are Michelle and Cynthia Rothrock.

Michelle Yeoh receives France's highest honour (http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/entertainment/view/1189430/1/.html)
Posted: 16 March 2012 1824 hrs

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/components/display_image.php?id=487015
French President Nicolas Sarkozy (L) awards Malaysian actress Michelle Yeoh the officer of the Legion of Honour during a ceremony at the Elysee Palace on Mar 14. (AFP/Pool/Kenzo Tribouillard)

KUALA LUMPUR - Malaysian actress Michelle Yeoh has been awarded the officer of Legion of Honour, the highest decoration by France, during a ceremony in Paris on Wednesday.

The award was presented by French President Nicolas Sarkozy at the Elysee Palace, the official residence of the president, according to a statement by the Malaysian embassy in Paris on Friday.

Present at the ceremony were the president's wife Carla Bruni, Bernadette Chirac, wife of the former president Jacques Chirac as well as Malaysian ambassador to France Abdul Aziz Zainal.

During the ceremony, President Sarkozy decorated 11 personalities from the world of arts and entertainment with the Legion of Honour or The Order of Merit.

Besides Yeoh, French composer Jean-Michel Barre and designer Jean-Claude Jitrois also received the Legion of Honour award.

The statement said the Legion of Honour is France's highest honour, while the Order of Merit, consisting of five distinct ranks, rewards men and women, French or foreigners, for their exemplary services rendered to France or to the causes supported by France.

GeneChing
02-01-2013, 10:29 AM
I still haven't seen The Lady (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63486). I really should. I love Michelle's work.

Yeoh to be hailed at Asian Film Awards (http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/yeoh-to-be-hailed-at-asian-film-awards)
By Patrick Frater
Thu, 31 January 2013, 17:16 PM (HKT)

http://www.filmbiz.asia/media/BAhbB1sHOgZmSSIvMjAxMy8wMS8zMS8wMS8xOC8zOS80NzUvTW ljaGVsbGVZRU9IX2MuanBnBjoGRVRbCDoGcDoKdGh1bWJJIg01 MDB4MTAwMAY7BlQ?suffix=.jpg&sha=7bddbcfb
Malaysian superstar Michelle YEOH 楊紫瓊 is to awarded the Excellence in Asian Cinema Award at the Asian Film Awards.

"Michelle has an impressive career of over 30 movies. Her incredible talent has led her from action films in Hong Kong to international works like The Lady," said Roger GARCIA, executive director of the Hong Kong International Film Festival Society Limited 香港國際電影節協會.

"Her work in Chinese language cinema has helped promote it to an international audience and the global film industry. Michelle has excelled as both an action star and a serious actress – a very rare combination in this business, and practically unique. She is the perfect choice to be awarded with this prestigious honour."

"It is my goal to continue as an advocate of the Asian film industry and to promote a positive, strong image for Asian women in international films," said Yeoh.

Yeoh's filmography ranges from local action film productions like Yes, Madam 皇家師姐 (1985), Police Story 3: Super Cop 警察故事Ⅲ超級警察 (1992) and The Heroic Trio 東方三俠 (1992) to historical drama The Soong Sisters 宋家皇朝 (1997). She shot to international stardom through roles in films including Tomorrow Never Dies (1997), Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 臥虎藏龍 (2000) and Memoirs of a Geisha (2005). Her latest film, Gina KIM 김진아's family drama Final Recipe 파이널 레시피, is currently in post-production.

The prize will be presented in Hong Kong on 18 March at the AFA ceremony.

GeneChing
03-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Michelle Yeoh honored at Asian Film Awards (http://movies.yahoo.com/news/michelle-yeoh-honored-asian-film-awards-031101014.html)
Associated PressAssociated Press – Sun, Mar 17, 2013 11:59 PM EDT

http://l.yimg.com/os/mit/media/m/base/images/transparent-1093278.png
Michelle Yeoh, Hong Kong based Malaysian actress, poses before a ****tail reception to celebrate the recognition of the Excellence in Asian Cinema Award at the 7th Asian Film Awards in Hong Kong Sunday, March 17, 2013. (AP Photo/Vincent Yu)View Photo

HONG KONG (AP) — Michelle Yeoh is happy to be honored with the "Excellence in Asian Cinema Award" but says she hopes there's no hidden message.

She asked, "I hope it's not their way of telling me that I need to retire?"

The star of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and last year's Aung San Suu Kyi biopic "The Lady" is being honored at the Asian Film Awards on Monday night.

Speaking to reporters a day earlier, Yeoh said she's happy to receive the award where her career started, in Hong Kong.

And while she acknowledged she's long heard rumors of a "Crouching Tiger" sequel, she says she's yet to see a script or other plans on the project. The 2000 original was directed by Ang Lee and won four Academy Awards.

The recent reports have attached kung fu star Donnie Yen to the unconfirmed sequel, and Yeoh said she's a fan and would welcome the opportunity to work with him if a project is developed.

The Hong Kong film festival's opener Sunday was "Ip Man: the Final Fight," the latest film about martial arts master Ip Man. Lead actor Anthony Wong and actress Zhou Chou Chou were among stars walking the red carpet.

Veteran Hong Kong directors Johnnie To and Ronny Yu are also premiering works at the festival, which features "Infernal Affairs" director Andrew Lau.

The festival closes in April with the Iranian film "Closed Curtain," which is fresh off a win for best script at the Berlin Film Festival.
Word is she is remarrying, this time to French motor sport executive Jean Todt.

GeneChing
06-02-2014, 10:07 AM
"yes, we'll have the watch ready for you at midnight.......the watch.....the Chinese watch....yes, right-oh, bye-bye mother" ;)

MAY 09, 2014
Richard Mille Tourbillon RM 51-01 Tiger and Dragon-Michelle Yeoh (http://en.worldtempus.com/article/new-watches/richard-mille-tourbillon-rm-51-01-tiger-and-dragon-michelle-yeoh-1583181)
— Richard Mille renews its association with the famous Malaysian actress Michelle Yeoh and creates the tourbillon RM 51-01 Tiger and Dragon-Michelle Yeoh.
Richard Mille Tourbillon RM 51-01 Tiger and Dragon-Michelle Yeoh

This novel artistic creation celebrates her new film ‘Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II’, due to be released in 2014, in which Michelle returns to the role of her well known character, Yu Shu Lien. Richard Mille and Michelle’s collaboration began in 2011 with the creation of the RM 051 Phoenix Tourbillon, a symbolic timepiece in which she was intimately active. Michelle desired to reiterate the concept of forms and shapes integrated within the watch’s movement, this time with a visual scene centered on the symbolic themes of the Tiger and the Dragon, with a tiger and a dragon clutching the tourbillon movement.

Created from 3N red gold, the figures are carved and incised entirely by hand. Special miniature tools were specifically made for the specific artistry required in the physical realization of these two creatures. To increase the realism of these special animals, a long and painstaking process of hand finished micro painting was executed, also including the unseen parts of these two marvelous entities. The tiger and dragon have deeply influenced Asian culture.

http://cdn-us-cf.yottaa.net/517e7ece86305e2fc50000a5/en.worldtempus.com/v~4.86/sites/default/files/styles/789w/public/rm-51-01-tiger-dragon-michelle-yeoh_three_quarter.large_.jpg?itok=aV4bDUFQ&yocs=_&yoloc=us
Tourbillon RM 51-01 Tigre and Dragon-Michelle Yeoh © Richard Mille

The Tiger, considered as ‘Yang’ supremacy, therefore male, was viewed as a demon hunter. For the military, the tiger, symbol of courage, was represented on shields and weapons. The dragon, meanwhile, is a very common symbol in China, taking on many complex traits, as an emblem that can unify a group, or a larger nation. Today we closely associate it with prosperity and happiness.

With a power reserve of 48 hours, indicated by a red line between 10 and 11 o’clock, the grade 5 titanium movement includes a torque limiting crown to protect the watch from possible overwinding. The RM 51-01 Tiger and Dragon-Michelle Yeoh will be available in a limited edition of 20 pieces in 18K white or red gold.

http://cdn-us-cf.yottaa.net/517e7ece86305e2fc50000a5/en.worldtempus.com/v~4.86/sites/default/files/assets/images/rm-51-01-tiger-dragon-michelle-yeoh_front.soldat.jpg?yocs=_&yoloc=us
Richard Mille Dos de la Tourbillon RM 51-01 Tigre et Dragon-Michelle Yeoh

http://cdn-us-cf.yottaa.net/517e7ece86305e2fc50000a5/en.worldtempus.com/v~4.86/sites/default/files/assets/images/rm-51-01-tiger-dragon-michelle-yeoh_back.jpg?yocs=_&yoloc=us
Back of the Tourbillon RM 51-01 Tigre and Dragon-Michelle Yeoh © Richard Mille

GeneChing
04-27-2015, 10:22 AM
Our heartfelt condolences to everyone who has suffered due to this terrible tragedy.

Michelle Yeoh With Husband Jean Todt In Nepal During Saturday's Earthquake (http://www.malaysiandigest.com/frontpage/29-4-tile/551377-michelle-yeoh-with-husband-jean-todt-in-nepal-during-saturday-s-earthquake.html)
Published on Monday, 27 April 2015 15:16
Written by Carolina Cheah

http://www.malaysiandigest.com/images/stories/new2/carol2/michelleyeohandtodt.jpg
Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh and Jean Todt Arrived In Kathmandu, Nepal on 23 AprilTan Sri Michelle Yeoh and Jean Todt Arrived In Kathmandu, Nepal on 23 April

In the chaos and confusion that followed the Saturday night earthquake in Nepal, the news report last week that Malaysian actress Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh and her husband landed in Kathmandu, Nepal last Thursday, 23 April had escaped media notice.

Yesterday, the Federation International Automobile (FIA) released a statement that all FIA delegates including its President Jean Todt and his wife, Michelle Yeoh are reported safe but stranded in Kathmandu.

http://www.malaysiandigest.com/images/stories/new2/carol2/michelleyeoh_jeantodt2.jpg

“This week the FIA conducted its inaugural Asia-Pacific Sport Regional Congress in Kathmandu, Nepal. The event was attended by 45 delegates from 14 countries in the region, as well as FIA officials including President Jean Todt, Road Safety Ambassador Michelle Yeoh, and Deputy President for Sport, Graham Stoker. During the running of the Congress the country of Nepal, including its capital Kathmandu, was subjected to a massive earthquake that has taken a shocking toll on the country. All members of the FIA party and Congress delegates are safe and accounted for." - FIA

According to the account provided by Chinese entertainment blog ent.163, Michelle and her husband were attending an official function in a hotel when the earthquake struck. They had fled the hotel together with other guests, and though reported to be a little shaken up, the Hollywood movie star was uninjured.

Michelle together with Todt had apparently made their way to the Kathmandu airport yesterday, 26 April but found it to be closed with flights cancelled and local communication servers shut down.

Together with the rest of the FIA delegates, they will remain stranded in Nepal with little communication access to the rest of the world for the moment. An associate of the FIA delegation later shared this Twitter posting which was later reported by the racing magazine GPToday.

http://www.malaysiandigest.com/images/stories/new2/carol2/FIA_twitter.jpg
Pic: Twitter screenshot

According to the entertainment report, there were an estimated 300,000 tourists in Nepal when the tragedy occurred and most areas are still without power.

Yeoh was in Nepal to participate in the Asian Regional Sports Congress organised by Federation of International Automobile (FIA) under the United Nations. She is also the ambassador for Global Road Safety for the FIA. Todt was in attendance in his capacity as president of FIA at the inaugural Asia-Pacific Sport Regional Congress.

- mD

GeneChing
04-29-2015, 08:22 AM
Michelle Yeoh is 'safely home' after being stuck in Nepal quake zone (http://www.ecns.cn/2015/04-28/163437.shtml)
1 2015-04-28 14:57 CRIENGLISH.com Editor: Gu Liping

http://www.ecns.cn/2015/04-28/U472P886T1D163437F12DT20150428145707.jpg
Michelle Yeoh and Jean Todt.(File photo)

The "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" star Michelle Yeoh is "safely home" after she was stuck in Nepal during the deadly earthquake on Saturday.[Special coverage]

Yeoh was visiting Nepal to attend the inaugural Asia Pacific Sport Regional Congress with her partner Jean Todt.

After being stranded at the airport for a few hours, they were able to catch a flight and return home to Paris.

The 52 year old actress also vowed to do her best to help Nepal to rebuild after the devastating earthquake.
Hold the phone. THAT'S who Michelle is marrying? oh no.

Jimbo
04-29-2015, 08:46 AM
Hold the phone. THAT'S who Michelle is marrying? oh no.

Maybe he has a good personality? I dunno. I'm certain the fact that he's extremely rich plays a big part.

GeneChing
07-27-2015, 08:25 AM
Legendary Kung Fu star Michelle Yeoh officially joins star-studded line-up at Madame Tussauds Hong Kong Michelle Yeoh’s all-new wax figure to be featured as new Kung Fu Zone’s one and only female martial arts master (https://www.madametussauds.com/HongKong/en/NewsAndEvents/Michelle_Yeoh_officially_joins.aspx)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fwp2Zl30mo#t=84

https://www.madametussauds.com/SiteImages/Assets/1/Michelle_Yeoh_1_lo.jpg
https://www.madametussauds.com/SiteImages/Assets/1/Michelle_Yeoh_2_lo.jpg
https://www.madametussauds.com/SiteImages/Assets/1/Michelle_Yeoh_3_lo.jpg
https://www.madametussauds.com/SiteImages/Assets/1/Michelle_Yeoh_5_lo.jpg

HONG KONG (27 July 2015) International star Michelle Yeoh today unveiled her wax figure at Madame Tussauds Hong Kong. Styled as the character Yu Shu Lien in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Yeoh’s wax figure joins Kung Fu masters Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Donnie Yen at the newly opened Kung Fu Zone in paying tribute to Hong Kong martial arts films. In celebration of the 15th anniversary of its opening, Madame Tussauds Hong Kong launched the brand-new Kung Fu Zone as the finale of its third major expansion project. In addition to the four legendary martial arts masters, a gauntlet of interactive challenges also awaits visitors.

Styled as the fearless character Yu Shu Lien in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Yeoh’s figure clutches a Chinese sabre and appears to be ready for a fierce fight. Re-enacting a classic scene from the film, the life-like figure also exudes Yeoh’s celebrity charm. According to Yeoh, her wax likeness reminded her of numerous interesting moments from the filming of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and she hoped guests can immerse themselves in the world of martial arts films as they interact with the wax figures.

This is Yeoh’s second collaboration with Madame Tussauds Hong Kong. To prepare for production of the new wax figure, Yeoh spent five hours with a team of professional sculptors from the United Kingdom for the sitting process. Her measurements of all parts, as well as colour matching and contrasting of her hair and eyes, were taken with great precision. Hundreds of photos were taken to ensure the final figure can fully capture her graceful style and impeccable physique.

Yeoh said: “I’m honoured to have the opportunity to collaborate with Madame Tussauds Hong Kong for the second time. I was, once again, amazed by the professionalism of Madam Tussauds studio artists. It never occurred to me before how similar wax-making artistry is to martial arts – both require patience, precision and an unyielding pursuit of perfection.”

Although it was not the first time that Yeoh has collaborated with Madame Tussauds Hong Kong, she was once again thrilled and amazed by the liveliness and likeness of her wax figure – the level of detail was so refined that even the figure’s sharp gaze was an exact replica of its living counterpart.

Yeoh said: “I’m extremely pleased to join three martial arts film legends in the newly opened ‘Kung Fu Zone’ and pay tribute to Hong Kong martial arts films. Chinese martial arts has a long and illustrious history, while Hong Kong has made significant contributions to the spread of Kung Fu fever around the world, particularly through martial arts films produced in recent decades. I’m deeply humbled to be a part of the Kung Fu culture and I hope guests can experience the spirit of Chinese martial arts through their interactions here.”

The Kung Fu Zone is Hong Kong’s first permanent tribute to martial arts and Kung Fu films. As the grand finale of the attraction’s third major multi-million dollar expansion, the new zone is close to 800 square feet. Modelled after a traditional Zen monastery, the all-new themed area features a beautifully crafted red arched door and a magnificent sculpted dragon.

Besides Yeoh, three other influential Kung Fu film stars who have made immense contributions to the development and popularisation of martial arts will be featured in sets inspired by key scenes from classic Kung Fu films, covering some of the most iconic moments in Hong Kong film history. Bruce Lee, widely considered as one of the greatest martial artists of all time and a pop culture icon of the 20th century, is now immortalised in wax and greets visitors with his signature flying kick. Jackie Chan, dressed in a traditional duangua suit, strikes an iconic pose from his vast body of work in martial arts comedies, which catapulted him to early fame in his career. Donnie Yen’s wax likeness appears as Ip Man, the Wing Chun master of legendary Bruce Lee.

Ms Kelly Mak, General Manager of Madame Tussauds Hong Kong, said: “We are thrilled to collaborate with Michelle again. A familiar face the world over, Michelle is an iconic martial arts star and her influence has been recognised with the title of Dato’ and other honorifics numerous times. Through Michelle and her fellow martial arts stars, we hope to exemplify the best of Chinese martial arts, which was first brought to the world stage by Hong Kong martial arts films before it became a significant facet of global culture. The Kung Fu Zone aims to carry forward the traditions and spirit of this precious intangible cultural heritage of the city, and interactive elements will complete the all-around Kung Fu experience for tourists from all over the world.”

A series of interactive experiences also awaits visitors as they make their way through the zone. An interactive screen teaches martial arts combat moves, and combatants can receive immediate feedback on their performance. Guests are also invited to prove their balance and agility on sensory-activated projections on the floor and test their speed by hitting as many targets on a Wing Chun wooden dummy as possible within the time limit. The magnificent sculpted dragon overlooking the area has in store an interactive surprise for courageous fighters. These dynamic special effects promise to immerse everyone in the martial arts world.

Kung Fu Zone Promotional Offer
From 29 June 2015 to 31 August 2015, Kung Fu Zone Tickets Package can be purchased at HK$188 each. Each package includes one Madame Tussauds Hong Kong adult admission ticket and one 6R photo (guests can get their photos taken by Madame Tussauds Hong Kong staff within the Kung Fu Zone).

Madame Tussauds Hong Kong 15th Anniversary Campaign

Wonderful prizes will be awarded to selected guests through the “Surprise across Asia with Madame Tussauds" campaign. All visitors to Madame Tussauds Hong Kong will receive a greeting card upon entry from April to December 2015. Those who submit the most creative greetings will have a chance to win a set of admission tickets to all seven Madame Tussauds attractions in Asia, including Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Wuhan, Singapore, Tokyo and Bangkok (each set of tickets is valued at approximately HK$3,000 and entitles entry for two persons). One winner will be selected by Madame Tussauds Hong Kong on the 15th of the month from April to December 2015 (except for August). On 15 August 2015, 12 winners will be announced to commemorate the attraction’s opening in August, 15 years ago. Winners will be notified of the prize collection procedure by email.

For enquiries, please call: (852) 2849 6966.

The Kung Fu Zone sounds pretty fun.

GeneChing
08-07-2015, 09:26 AM
It's not real until they set a date.

Actress Michelle Yeoh planning to marry fiance soon (http://women.asiaone.com/women/relationships/actress-michelle-yeoh-planning-marry-fiance)
The Star/ANNWednesday, Jul 29, 2015

http://women.asiaone.com/sites/default/files/styles/full_left_image-630x411/public/original_images/Jul2015/201528_michelle_star.JPG?itok=OeIl3SIa
Wedding plans: Yeoh and Todt will soon tie the knot.
The Star/ANN

Malaysian superstar Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh is planning to marry her fiance Datuk Jean Todt at the end of this year or early next year.

However, the venue of their wedding had yet to be finalised.

"My father passed away end of last year so I have to wait for a year to have my wedding," she said.

Yeoh, 52, said she hoped to have a low-profile wedding ceremony before having wedding parties in Malaysia and Hong Kong.

"I will inform you all when the time comes," said Yeoh, who has been engaged to Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) president Todt, 69, since 2005.

In an interview in May, Yeoh's mother, Datin Janet Yeoh said she wanted nothing more than to see her famous daughter get married.

Expressing her Mother's Day wish, Janet said she would be over the moon if the two could tie the knot fast.

"The sooner the better. Of course, I am looking forward to it. Every mother would be anxious to see her daughter marry. I would very much love to have Jean take care of her," Janet said.

GeneChing
12-09-2015, 11:18 AM
I forecast we will be hearing a lot about Michelle again with CTHD2 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?65170-Crouching-Tiger-Hidden-Dragon-2-Sword-of-Destiny) in a few months.

‘Fourth Direction’ Wins Top Prize at Singapore Festival (http://variety.com/2015/film/asia/fourth-direction-top-prize-at-singapore-festival-1201654841/)

http://i2.wp.com/pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/j15_3031-res.jpg?crop=0px%2C93px%2C1703px%2C948px&resize=670%2C377
COURTESY OF F MEDIA
DECEMBER 5, 2015 | 04:01AM PT
Patrick Frater
Asia Bureau Chief
Gurvinder Singh’s drama “The Fourth Direction” continued its winning ways by claiming the top prize at the Singapore International Film Festival (SGIFF) on Saturday.

Prizes were given out at a ceremony attended by David Beckham, Dev Patel and Terence Chang as well as local Singaporean celebrities Michelle Goh and Zoe Tay.

“The Fourth Direction,” based on two short stories about friends during the Sikh separatists’ uprising against the Indian military, was first presented in Un Certain Regard at Cannes. Last month it won top prize for an Indian film at the Mumbai Film Festival.

The SGIFF jury, headed by Brillante Mendoza, said: “Through a masterful execution, ‘The Fourth Direction’ makes us experience the fear and tension of the era and how the political situation is influencing the life of this family.”

The festival started on Nov. 26 and will finish Sunday (Dec. 6) with a day of tributes to Iran’s Mohsen Makhmalbaf and repeat screenings of the winning films.

Makhmalbaf accepted an award from festival executive Yuni Hadi and immediately dedicated it to Busan festival programmer Kim Ji-seok, who he called on stage.

The otherwise slow-moving ceremony at the Marina Bay Sands MasterCard Theatre was punctuated by a performance from actress and singer Amy Cheng and had its high point with a Cinema Legend Award for Michelle Yeoh. “The best is yet to come,” said the Malaysia-born Yeoh.

Singapore International Film Festival 2015 Prize winners
Asian Feature Category:

Best Film

The Fourth Direction (Chauthi Koot) dir. Gurvinder Singh (India)

Special Mention

“Tikkun” dir. Avishai Sikun

Best director

Ryusuke Hamaguchi for “Happy Hour” (Japan)

Best performance

Taha Tegin Ozdemir, Yakup Ozgur Kurtaal and Omer Uluc in “Snow Pirates”

Honorary Award

Mohsen Makhmalbaf (Iran)

Cinema Legend Award

Michelle Yeoh (Malaysia)

Southeast Asian Short Film Category

Best Southeast Asian Short Film

“The Fox Exploits The Tiger’s Might” dir. Lucky Kuswandi

Best Singapore Short Film

“My Father After Dinner” dir. Gladys Ng

Special Mention

“Ferris Wheel” dir. Phuttiphong Aroonpheng

Best Director

Lucky Kuswandi for “The Fox Exploits The Tiger’s Might”

Youth Jury Prize

“Three Wheels” (Kong Bei) dir: Kavich Neang

The Most Promising Project of the Southeast Asia Film Lab

“Auntie” (A-Joom-Ma”) by He Shuming

GeneChing
10-14-2016, 09:27 AM
Michelle Yeoh to star in Bollywood project (http://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/bollywood/michelle-yeoh-to-star-in-bollywood-project-3036109/)
Michelle Yeoh is foraying into Bollywood with an untitled project.
By: PTI | Leh | Published:September 17, 2016 5:56 pm

http://images.indianexpress.com/2016/09/michelle-yeoh-759.jpg
Michelle Yeoh, best known for her roles in hits like “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” and Bond movie “Tomorrow Never Dies”, is foraying into Bollywood with an untitled project.

Actress Michelle Yeoh, best known for her roles in hits like “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” and Bond movie “Tomorrow Never Dies”, is foraying into Bollywood with an untitled project.
The 54-year-old Chinese-Malaysian star, who calls herself a great fan of the Hindi film industry and actor Aamir Khan, said the movie will be an action drama with some dance thrown in.
“I’m planning to work in Bollywood and it’s going to be an action film with obviously some dance because it is Bollywood,” she said on the sidelines of Naropa festival here.
“It will be about a Chinese and Indian family. In reality, we are such close neighbours but we are culturally so different and through this film we want to show how we can get along,” Yeoh said.
The actress did not reveal much about the film but said she would be working with an Indian actor.
Talking about her favourite star in Bollywood, Yeoh said, “I really admire Aamir Khan and I would love to work with him.”
Yeoh also revealed that the “3 Idiots” star was approached for the project.
The actress will next be seen in Jason Statham-starrer “Mechanic 2” the sequel to the recently released “Mechanic: Resurrection”.

We'll plan to revisit this both for this untitled Bollywood action pic and "Mechanic 2" (actually they mean Mechanic 3 because Resurrection was the sequel to Statham's 2011 redux of Charles Bronson's 1972 flick :confused:)

GeneChing
12-07-2016, 03:12 PM
I was tepid about the new series but now I'm all in. Michelle will be a great Starfleet captain.

Exclusive: Michelle Yeoh Boards Star Trek: Discovery (http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/788489-michelle-yeoh-star-trek-discovery)
BY SILAS LESNICK ON NOVEMBER 22, 2016

http://cdn2-www.comingsoon.net/assets/uploads/2016/11/MichelleYeoh.jpg

Michelle Yeoh is the first star to join CBS All Access’ Star Trek: Discovery

Star Trek: Discovery has found its first star! Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon‘s Michelle Yeoh is set to headline the CBS All Access series, Nicholas Meyer just confirmed to CS. Meyer, who helmed Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, is serving as a consulting producer on Discovery. Although it is unconfirmed at this time, Michelle Yeoh’s role is potentially the series’ lead, a female Lieutenant Commander.

“I know Michelle Yeoh is in it,” Meyer told us during a discussion of his 1979 sci-fi classic Time After Time. The film, starring Malcolm McDowell as H.G. Wells and David Warner as Jack the Ripper, received a Blu-ray edition last week from Warner Archive.

Michelle Yeoh recently reprised her Yu Shu Lien for a Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sequel, Sword of Destiny. She also played a recurring role as Lotus on the second season of the Netflix original series, Marco Polo.

Star Trek: Discovery is executive produced by Bryan Fuller with Gretchen Berg, Aaron Harberts and Academy Award winner Akiva Goldsman manning the bridge.

Following its May 2017 premiere on the CBS Television Network, all episodes of Star Trek: Discovery will be available in the U.S. exclusively on CBS All Access. Continuing the worldwide appeal of the franchise, each episode of the series will be available globally within 24 hours of its U.S. premiere, presented on Netflix in 188 countries and through Bell Media platforms in Canada.

Who would you like to see join Michelle Yeoh in the Star Trek: Discovery cast? Share your thoughts in the comments below and check back soon for our full interview with Nicholas Meyer.

(Photo Credit: FayesVision / WENN.com)

GeneChing
01-31-2017, 04:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp4Vfh48bCM

GeneChing
09-26-2017, 09:47 AM
SEP 22 2017, 3:27 PM ET
From Bond Girl to ‘Star Trek’ Captain, Michelle Yeoh Wants to Keep Surprising You (https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/bond-girl-star-trek-captain-michelle-yeoh-wants-keep-surprising-n803901?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_aa)
by TIFFANY HU

https://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2017_38/2164656/michelleyeoh_startrekdiscovery_cbs002_aedc13bfe4e4 c280b0ccb716f003054f.nbcnews-fp-1200-630.jpg
Michelle Yeoh as Captain Philippa Georgiou in "Star Trek: Discovery" Jan Thijs / CBS Interactive

In the span of her 30-year career, Michelle Yeoh has done everything from jumping off rooftops to predicting the future. She's been a Bond girl, a geisha, and a sorceress — all roles that the Malaysian-born actress says show the "charming, weird roles" she wants to keep taking on.

"I hope that I keep surprising you,” Yeoh told NBC News. “Otherwise, you will only be seeing Michelle Yeoh playing Michelle Yeoh, which is kind of boring.”

Yeoh's latest role will take her to a new frontier as Captain Philippa Georgiou in the television series "Star Trek: Discovery" on CBS All-Access, the network's on-demand streaming service. The 15-episode series will be the first "Star Trek" series since 2005's "Enterprise" ended.

https://media4.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2017_38/2164641/michelleyeoh_startrekdiscovery_cbs001_e4ee70200f3a d72b06641698a681d10e.nbcnews-ux-600-480.jpg
(left to right) Doug Jones as Lieutenant Saru; Sonequa Martin-Green as First Officer Michael Burnham; Michelle Yeoh as Captain Philippa Georgiou in "Star Trek: Discovery." Jan Thijs / CBS Interactive

As Georgiou, Yeoh joins a diverse cast (which includes Sonequa Martin-Green and Maulik Pancholy) that continues the franchise's legacy of on-screen representation. When the series released its first promotional trailer in May, Georgiou was featured heavily, speaking with Yeoh's native Chinese-Malaysian accent, which fans praised Yeoh for.

“Do you think it’s very strong?” Yeoh wondered, joking that she personally thought her accent was charming. “I think it is good that it received such positive reaction, because people are very aware right now. But what I’m really proud about is that we have an Asian female captain — all the boxes ticked right away.”

She continued, "If you’re given the opportunity to be able to play badass female roles, then why not? And when you say badass, I hope you mean that she’s strong, she’s smart, and she can be physical when need be. I’m very proud to play those roles, because I believe when more roles like that are seen by women, it empowers the young girls and other women who are watching.”

Born in Malaysia, the 55-year-old actress got her start in Hong Kong films before making her U.S. debut in the 1997 James Bond film, "Tomorrow Never Dies." Since then, she's continued to appear in dozens of films, both in Asia and in the U.S., including the Academy Award-winning films such as "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and "Memoirs of a Geisha."

https://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2014_40/692021/140930-crouching-tiger-still-1050a_9da87ee2a5660fb6f8638924c6bdab55.nbcnews-ux-320-320.jpg
Image: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON, (aka WO HU CANG LONG), Michelle Yeoh, 2000. ©Sony Pictures Classics/courtesy Everett Collection Sony Pictures / Courtesy Everett Collection

“I don’t restrict myself to specifically, ‘OK, this is the kind of roles I want to play,’ but I do know what are the roles that I don’t want to play,” Yeoh said. “I want to make sure that when I take on a role, it is something I’ll be happy to spend time on — and I’ll learn from it, and I’ll enjoy those precious moments or months that I will be working on it.”

Her next big role is already generating buzz: Yeoh will appear in the upcoming film "Crazy Rich Asians" alongside "Fresh Off the Boat" star Constance Wu. The film, based off the novel by Kevin Kwan, doesn't have a release date yet, but it's already being praised for putting Asian and Asian-American faces on screen in Hollywood.

“It’s an amazing film,” Yeoh said, adding that her role of Eleanor Young was fun to play. “It’s, what, the first [film] in 20-something years with an all-Asian cast? Isn’t that a long time coming?”

Yeoh said that, even within the Asian community, it was special to see “an actress who was working in the western part of the world” and “an actor who was working in the eastern part of the world” learning about different cultural issues each faced, while filming.

“I hope that this will be gigantically successful,” Yeoh said. “Because that will open up to producers understanding that the audiences want to see what’s happening on the other side of the world — and that there are stories to be told.”

So far, Discovery lacks the humor of Star Trek, and I'm not fond of the depiction of Sarek, or SPOILER the fate of Georgiou in ep 2 END SPOILER but I'm enjoying being back in the Star Trek universe.

Michelle Yeoh (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?44824-Michelle-Yeoh) on Star Trek Discovery (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70138-Star-Trek-Discovery)

GeneChing
10-05-2018, 02:41 PM
OCTOBER 4, 2018 7:08PM PT
Michelle Yeoh, Kevin Tsujihara to Be Honored at Asia Society U.S.-China Summit (https://variety.com/2018/film/asia/michelle-yeoh-kevin-tsijihara-asia-society-china-summit-1202969877/)
By PATRICK FRATER
Asia Bureau Chief

https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2018/08/cra-08668r.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1
CREDIT: SANJA BUCKO

Iconic actress Michelle Yeoh (“Crazy Rich Asians,” “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon”) is to be honored alongside Warner Bros. chairman and CEO Kevin Tsujihara at the U.S.-China Entertainment Summit in Los Angeles later this month. Elizabeth Daley and Steven J. Ross, dean and Time Warner professor at the USC School of Cinematic Arts, respectively, will also be honored.

Held at the Skirball Cultural Center on Oct. 30, the summit conference comes at a time of ratcheted-up tensions between China and the U.S. and at a moment of profound change in the two countries’ entertainment industry relations.

Other prominent speakers include Legendary East CEO Wayne Jiang, “The Meg” director Jon Turteltaub, “Crazy Rich Asians” producer John Penotti, former Wanda executive Jack Gao, and Albert Cheng, COO and co-head of television, Amazon Studios.

Chinese actress and director Eva Jin, producer Ben Ji, ICM partner Spencer Baumgarten, Warner Bros. executive Chantal Nong, Artist International Group CEO David Unger, super-agent Christina Chou, MPA Asia Pacific president Mike Ellis, and Twitch co-founder Kevin Lin also join the line-up.

Yeoh is being honored for her achievements as an actress, producer and writer. Tsujihara will be honored for his vision and leadership. Warner Bros. was recently involved in two Asia-significant movies “Crazy Rich Asians,” and “The Meg.” Daley is to be honored as an education pioneer.

“Michelle (Yeoh) outdid herself with her Oscar-worthy performance in ‘Crazy Rich Asians.’ We will undoubtedly look back on 2018 as a game-changing year for Asians and Asian-Americans because of Kevin Tsujihara and Warner Bros.,” said Janet Yang, chair of the Entertainment Summit. “Elizabeth Daley has steadily and brilliantly built a robust people-to-people relationship between China and the USC Cinema community that transcends anything Washington can do.”

The summit is organized in conjunction with the Beijing Film Academy and the China Onscreen Biennial and with the support of organizations including the Los Angeles Chinese Film Festival and the Asian World Film Festival.

THREADS
Michelle Yeoh (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?44824-Michelle-Yeoh)
Crazy Rich Asians (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70914-Crazy-Rich-Asians)

GeneChing
01-14-2019, 04:04 PM
I copied all the posts above off the Star Trek: Disco thread (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70138-Star-Trek-Discovery) for this new Star Trek: Section 31 with Michelle Yeoh (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71162-Star-Trek-Section-31-with-Michelle-Yeoh) (working title - I'll update that when the time comes) and copied it to Michelle Yeoh (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?44824-Michelle-Yeoh)

This just made my Monday. :D

"CBS ALL ACCESS" GOES BLACK OPS WITH MICHELLE YEOH FOR NEW “STAR TREK” SERIES BASED ON SECTION 31 (https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-all-access/releases/view?id=51779)

Jan. 14, 2019 – CBS All Access today announced plans to further expand the “Star Trek” universe with a new live-action series in development starring Michelle Yeoh. The series will expand on Yeoh’s current role as a member of Starfleet’s Section 31 division, a shadow organization within the Federation, on STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, which debuts its second season Thursday, Jan. 17 exclusively on CBS All Access in the U.S., and is distributed concurrently by CBS Studios International on Netflix in 188 countries and in Canada on Bell Media’s Space channel and OTT service CraveTV.

The series will be produced by CBS Television Studios, Secret Hideout and Roddenberry Entertainment. Alex Kurtzman, Heather Kadin, Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth will serve as executive producers. Aaron Baiers will serve as co-executive producer along with Bo Yeon Kim, and Erika Lippoldt will also write the series.

“Michelle has shattered ceilings, broken boundaries, and astonished us with her grace and gravitas for decades. As a human, I adore her. As an actor, I revere her,” said Alex Kurtzman. “Erika and Boey are remarkable, exciting writers who bring a fresh perspective to the world of ‘Star Trek,’ and we’re all thrilled to explore the next wild chapter in the life of Captain Philippa Georgiou.”

“I’m so excited to continue telling these rich ‘Star Trek’ stories,” said Michelle Yeoh. “Being a part of this universe and this character specifically has been such a joy for me to play. I can’t wait to see where it all goes – certainly I believe it will go ‘where no WOMAN has ever gone before!’”

Michelle Yeoh is recognized as one of the greatest and the most successful actresses from the east. She can most recently be seen starring in John M. Chu's romantic comedy “Crazy Rich Asians,” and in CBS’ STAR TREK: DISCOVERY. The former Bond girl is best known for her roles in Ang Lee’s “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Tiger, Hidden Dragon” and its sequel, Rob Marshall’s “Memoirs of a Geisha,” Roger Spottiswoode’s “Tomorrow Never Dies” and Danny Boyle’s “Sunshine.” Michelle also starred in Luc Besson’s critically acclaimed “The Lady” and voiced a role in the DreamWorks animated hit “Kung Fu Panda 2.”

The development of this new untitled series is the latest expansion of the “Star Trek” franchise. In addition to the hit original series STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, returning with season two on Thursday, Jan. 17, and STAR TREK: SHORT TREKS, a series of short stories tied to STAR TREK: DISCOVERY and the overall “Star Trek” universe, CBS has announced a new untitled “Star Trek” series featuring Sir Patrick Stewart, reprising his iconic role as Jean-Luc Picard, as well as its first animated series, STAR TREK: LOWER DECKS, developed by Emmy Award winner Mike McMahan (“Rick and Morty”).

About CBS All Access

CBS All Access is CBS’ digital subscription video on-demand and live streaming service. In addition to its original series, which include STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, THE GOOD FIGHT, STRANGE ANGEL, TELL ME A STORY and NO ACTIVITY, CBS All Access gives CBS fans the ability to watch more than 10,000 episodes on demand – spanning current shows from primetime, daytime and late night, as well as past seasons of select series and classic TV hits – and stream their local CBS station live. CBS All Access is currently available online at CBS.com, on mobile devices via the CBS app for iOS, Android and Windows 10, and on Roku Players, Apple TV, Chromecast, Android TV, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Fire TV, Samsung Smart TVs, Vizio Smartcast TVs and Amazon Channels. For more details on CBS All Access, please visit https://www.cbs.com/all-access/.

GeneChing
01-21-2019, 09:32 AM
Jan. 6, 2019, 3:35 p.m.
FASHION
By TRACY BROWN
Yes, Michelle Yeoh wore the ‘Crazy Rich Asians’ ring to the Golden Globes (https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-golden-globe-awards-2019-updates-yes-michelle-yeoh-wore-the-crazy-rich-1546815288-htmlstory.html)

https://www.latimes.com/resizer/7oS-3LlzElmGEOr2IT2ZK6lL4-o=/1400x0/www.trbimg.com/img-5c32896c/turbine/la-lb-media-imagefromios-20190106-150408/900
Michelle Yeoh on the Golden Globes' red carpet. (Jen Yamato / Los Angeles Times)

Michelle Yeoh had fans seeing green on Sunday’s red carpet for the Golden Globes. The actress wore her now-famous “Crazy Rich Asians” engagement ring to the 76th annual ceremony.

Part of Yeoh’s personal collection, the emerald-and-diamond ring played a pivotal role in the Golden Globe-nominated rom-com where it was introduced as Eleanor’s (Yeoh) engagement ring.

Yeoh previously told The Times that she planned to wear the accessory because “the ring is so much a character in the film.”

The ring symbolized Eleanor’s acceptance of her son’s American-born girlfriend (Rachel Chu, played by Constance Wu).

Yeoh also previously revealed that she had purchased the ring as a gift for herself. “I don’t wait for people to send me flowers. If I want them, I’m going to send them to myself,” she said.

“Crazy Rich Asians” has two Golden Globe nominations going into Sunday’s ceremony. The film is competing in the category of best musical or comedy picture, and Wu is a nominee for actress in a musical or comedy picture.

THREADS
Michelle Yeoh (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?44824-Michelle-Yeoh)
Crazy Rich Asians (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70914-Crazy-Rich-Asians)
The Golden Globes (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71111-The-Golden-Globes)

GeneChing
03-08-2019, 10:34 AM
WE DON'T DESERVE MICHELLE YEOH (https://www.elle.com/culture/a26238927/michelle-yeoh-crazy-rich-asians-star-trek-discovery-interview/)
If you think this is Michelle Yeoh's moment, think again. She's been kicking ass to the amazement of moviegoers for 30 years. But with the smash success of Crazy Rich Asians, Hollywood is finally recognizing her greatness.

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/hdm019919ellemy15313-v2-1550681755.jpg
BY ESTELLE TANG
FEB 21, 2019

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/hdm019919ellemy15249-v2-1550682830.jpg
Dress, Miu Miu; Turtleneck, Jaime Major; Necklace and earrings, Bulgari; Bracelet, Van Cleef.
EMILY SHUR

Every Malaysian I know has a precise, detailed map in their head: a culinary topography, marked with the best curry noodles in the night market or where the freshest satay comes spitting off the grill. In Michelle Yeoh’s home town of Ipoh, locals might argue over who makes the silkiest tofu curds or expound on which vendors serve the best of the city’s signature poached chicken with bean sprouts. In that part of the world, food represents respect and love; it’s close to a religion.

Yeoh and I, both Malaysian, understand this. We know what’s important—and that’s lunch. So I sit quietly as Yeoh, looking marble-perfect, surveys a different culinary landscape altogether: the BLVD Lounge in the Beverly Wilshire Hotel. All around us, the day’s lunch crowd is buzzing: a family the size of a small army attack their burgers; two businessmen, their suit jackets slung to the side, laugh over the remains of a long work lunch; an older man in a jaunty hat and a model contoured to Instagram perfection sip on wine.

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/michelley-cra2-1550769784.jpg
Dress, Miu Miu; Turtleneck, Jaime Major; Necklace and earrings, Bulgari; Bracelet, Van Cleef.
EMILY SHUR

And then there’s Yeoh in the middle of it all, eyes stalking the waitstaff from her perch at our table. “I’m always hungry,” she says, unmoving, except for a brief, twinkling glance in my direction. “It’s a Malaysian thing.” She doesn’t say anything more. She knows she doesn’t have to explain herself to me.

If you’ve seen Crazy Rich Asians, you know what one look from Yeoh can do. It can make you long for her approval, and devastate you when it doesn't come. It can be warming or withering. It can feel like the end of the world. Now, it must feel laser-sharp, because our waiter suddenly turns around, meets Yeoh’s eye, and bustles over to our table. He takes our orders and sweeps back to the kitchen. Yeoh settles back into her chair, smiling. Now everything’s as it should be.

Pop culture has yielded many iconic moms, but in playing Eleanor Young, Yeoh—56 years old, and a Leo, obviously—became the face of a new, terrifying kind of cinematic mother. The Young matriarch is a glamorous, exacting disciplinarian. She knows you could achieve greatness—but that you aren’t there yet. She’s a swift and unsentimental judge, quick to point out when you’re falling short. She expects as much from you as she’s given you herself, which is everything. That is, she’s a stereotypical Asian mom, a cultural archetype, yet one that has seen few iterations in Hollywood.

On its face, Crazy Rich Asians is about a young woman falling for a bachelor, finding out he’s loaded, and struggling to fit into his world. Eleanor represents the guards at the gate, the barrier to entry. But to call her a villain would be an oversimplification. The movie’s extremely satisfying opening scene, in fact, belongs to Eleanor, introducing her as a fierce protector of her family’s honor. (She buys a hotel that refuses to accommodate them, no big deal.) For Eleanor, marrying into the revered Young family meant devoting herself to their needs, especially those of her son, Nick (Henry Golding). Having sacrificed her own happiness to ensure Nick ends up the favorite, Eleanor holds strict ideas about who can follow in her self-abnegating footsteps. And Nick’s spirited Chinese-American girlfriend Rachel (Constance Wu) ain’t it.

Eleanor’s demanding standards create and control the movie’s emotional weather. And she owns the film’s most startling moment. After a seemingly delightful afternoon of making dumplings, during which Rachel gets to know Nick’s close-knit relatives, Eleanor and Rachel run into one another on the grand staircase of the Young family home. After a brief tête-à-tête, Eleanor gently touches Rachel’s face and says: “You will never be enough.”

You couldn’t pay someone to ruin you more completely.

Yeoh's performance turned that gesture into a gut-punch. “I just went and touched her face,” she says, “and when they called cut, everybody went...” She puts her hand to her chest and lets out a sharp gasp.

“I’ve never had this conversation with Constance, but something definitely intimidated her every time,” says director Jon M. Chu. “Constance couldn’t get through the scene because she would just break down and cry. It was just so brutal. They’re just words! It’s crazy.” Twitter self-flagellants were also in awe of the fierce put-down. "Imagine having Michelle Yeoh telling you you'll never be enough,” wrote one. “I would instantly die.”

“I used to have my own voice in my head telling me I'll never be enough,” wrote another, “but at least now it's Michelle Yeoh's.”

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/hdm019919ellemy15007-v2-1550767661.jpg
Top, Balmain; Jeans, Levis; Tiara, Beladora
EMILY SHUR

I read some of these gasping, semi-erotic plaudits out to her over our salads. Yeoh is bemused but game—and then I get to one about her Star Trek: Discovery character. For the uninitiated, that’s Emperor Philippa Georgiou, a sword-wielding ruler partial to dominatrix-adjacent leather suits. She's so popular she’s getting her own CBS All Access spin-off. I read this particular tweet with a frisson of worry. Will this immaculate swan of a woman understand the internet’s ***** vernacular and take it for the affection it is? “‘I want Emperor Georgiou,’” I say, “‘to step on me.’”\

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/michelley-star1-1550768724.jpg
CBS

Yeoh snaps her head back and releases a full-throated cackle of astonishing volume. She throws a starched napkin over her face, but it does nothing to muffle the sound. It lasts for several seconds and seemingly fills the room. Eleanor Young would never.

The tweet has the same cackle-inducing power over Sonequa Martin-Green, Yeoh’s Discovery co-star. “These are the same sorts of jokes that we have around set,” she explains over the phone. “I'm not going to disagree with Michelle, because she'll kick me in the face. Obviously she never would, and that's why we're able to joke that way. She couldn’t be more loving and jovial.”

continued next post

GeneChing
03-08-2019, 10:36 AM
"WHEN I FIRST CAME OUT HERE, HONESTLY, THERE WAS NO REGARD FOR ASIAN ACTORS. THEY WERE LIKE, 'OH, YOU SPEAK ENGLISH!'"

Martin-Green and Yeoh were the first two women of color to take the helm in a Star Trek franchise. That shared achievement has grown into an almost familial bond: On set, Martin-Green calls Yeoh “mother,” and Yeoh calls her “daughter.” They’ve held each other during long hours shooting in Jordan, where early Discovery scenes were filmed. They’ve peed behind shrubs in the Bedouin Desert after the production’s Port-a-Potties didn’t arrive, and they still laugh about it today.

Growing up, Martin-Green learned about “powerful women who were fighters” from her own mom, who introduced her to Yeoh’s early action movies. So when Martin-Green first met Yeoh, who had cut such an intimidating figure in her mind, she was struck by how warm she was in person.

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/michelley-crouching-1550768867.jpg
EVERETT

What didn’t surprise her was that, simply put, Michelle Yeoh kicks ass. Several supercuts of Yeoh’s fearsome fighting scenes recently made the rounds on social media. Two swords in hand, she backflips her way through Reign of Assassins. She switches between weapons without losing a breath in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. She’s doing the air-splits in Supercop. “Oh, the scorpion kick,” says Yeoh of her signature move in Yes, Madam, like it’s the Macarena or something.

A pageant queen and former ballet dancer whose career was derailed by a back injury, Yeoh was always “very physical.” The actress still does her own stunts: That’s all her in Star Trek. But when she appeared in Yes, Madam, her first action role, she had never studied martial arts. To get her up to speed, the production company set her up with an martial arts expert. But he lacked, she puts it generously, a teacherly bent. “He'd be like, ‘Just do it,’” Yeoh says now, still incredulous. “‘What do you mean, Just do it?’”

So she self-guided her own training, spending hours a day in the gym and getting to know the stuntmen. “They were curious,” she says, and they saw the former Miss Malaysia as an oddity, trying to psych her out with intense workouts and advanced moves. Thanks to Yeoh’s ballet background, though, she was flexible and strong. She kept going. They stopped playing games.

Soon, crowds would gather to gawk at Yeoh on set, which only made her more determined to wow them. “I think when you're young, you're like, ‘What have I got to lose?’" That “why not?” attitude led to one of her most skeleton-rattling stunts: In Supercop, Yeoh played Interpol inspector Jessica Yang, a supervisor on police officer Ka Kui’s (Jackie Chan) mission to infiltrate a drug organization. During the film’s climax, she jumps a moving motorbike off a bridge and onto a train speeding underneath. A normal person shouldn’t do that kind of thing. Even an action star shouldn’t do that kind of thing.

“Those were insane times,” she says. “I was empowered by the fact I was so fit. I was doing all these crazy, fun things, and people were astonished.” When she revisited the movie to dub the English dialogue, though, she was aghast. “I went, What the hell was I thinking? There were a number of times that it all could have gone tremendously wrong.” In a twist of fate, she’s now an ambassador for road safety in Malaysia. When I bring it up, she laughs. “Well, don't do what I do on screen, okay?”

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/hdm019919ellemy15090-v2-1550767794.jpg
EMILY SHUR

Yeoh’s career has been unusual, to say the least. Nothing like it existed before her. Her ex-ballerina’s grace, sheer physical power, and subtle stoicism made her a superstar in Asian cinema, particularly in the action genre. But her crossover into Hollywood was more fraught. “When I first came out here, honestly, there was no regard for Asian actors,” Yeoh says. “They were like, ‘Oh, you speak English!’” For years, Yeoh was billed as Michelle Khan, a stage name selected to sound racially ambiguous. On movie posters, she would sometimes appear as a woman of indecipherable ethnicity, her likeness so reworked that it was essentially a cartoon. Once, Yeoh saw one and asked, “‘Whoa, what movie is this?’ And they said, ‘That’s your movie.’”

continued next post

GeneChing
03-08-2019, 10:38 AM
"WE COULD ASK ANYONE ON OUR CAST—THEY WERE ALL INSPIRED BY HER TO COME INTO THIS BUSINESS."—JON M. CHU

Still, she scored major roles in what would become blockbuster hits in America: Colonel Wai Lin in Tomorrow Never Dies, a Bond girl whose combat prowess gave Pierce Brosnan’s 007 a run for his money; geisha doyenne Mameha in Memoirs of a Geisha; and the loyal, poised fighter Yu Shu Lien in Ang Lee’s wuxia epic Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. But while Crouching Tiger remains the highest-grossing foreign-language movie in American history, it didn’t result in instant stardom for Yeoh or its other Asian stars.

Landing Tomorrow Never Dies did, however, allow Michelle “Khan” to exit stage left. Yeoh has used her birth name ever since. “After that, it was like, You know what? My name is not so hard.”

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/michelley-tomorrow1-1550768942.jpg
GETTY IMAGES

From early on in the development of Crazy Rich Asians, everyone from Chu to the book’s author Kevin Kwan and executive producers Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson wanted Yeoh to play Eleanor. “It was sort of like, No duh,” Chu says.

Yeoh could project the power, elegance, and intelligence Eleanor required. But more than that, as one of very few Asian actresses to enjoy a long career in Asian and American markets, she held an almost talismanic importance for the first Hollywood movie with an all-Asian cast in 25 years. (The last was 1993’s The Joy Luck Club.) “We could ask anyone on our cast,” Chu says. “They were all inspired by her to come into this business.”

Yet in the wake of Crazy Rich Asians and its wild success, some wondered where Yeoh had been for the last 20 years. And when you tremble at her steely, flawless performance as Eleanor, it’s tempting to ask: Why isn’t Michelle Yeoh a bigger star? As Chu has said: “She should have much more recognition. She should be on the same level with a Meryl Streep.”

“I don’t think about that,” Yeoh demurs when I ask about it. She’s grateful for what she’s been able to achieve. “Maybe it’s because I'm Chinese—I like to please the people around me. But you don't sit there and think about it.” What Yeoh knows better than most is that until the runaway box-office success of Crazy Rich Asians, Hollywood stardom has been virtually impenetrable to Asian women. But for a new generation of Asian actresses working in Hollywood—think Lucy Liu, Constance Wu, Awkwafina, and Greta Lee—perhaps it’s that much easier to break boundaries when Yeoh has taken a whack at them first.

Crazy Rich Asians benefited from Yeoh’s rich experience. She had plenty of opinions about Eleanor, from her motivations and actions (the character is much more nuanced than the frantic, icy antagonist of the book) to what color the lanterns in her garden should be (red, not white, which in Chinese culture symbolizes death).

But one behind-the-scenes tweak, care of Yeoh, has attained legendary status. Eleanor’s engagement ring, featuring a gargantuan emerald nugget flanked by two diamonds, plays a crucial role in the film. Chu originally wanted an emerald ring modeled after one that John F. Kennedy had designed for Jackie, an ornate, jewel-encrusted honker. But the version ginned up by production didn’t meet Yeoh’s standards.

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/hdm019919ellemy15341-v2-1550684040.jpg
Jacket, skirt, tie, skirt, all Dior; Heels, Christian Louboutin
EMILY SHUR

“She just took two seconds,” Chu recalls. “And she said, ‘No, that's not the ring.’ We were like, ‘Oh, uh, yeah, well...what else do you have?’” Like a genie, Yeoh supplied one of her own baubles: the very rock you see on screen. It’s massive, which will come as no surprise to anyone who’s seen Yeoh dripping in diamonds and emeralds on the red carpet. It looks like you’d have to sell a small country to buy it.

“I believe in treating yourself,” Yeoh explains when I ask about the bling, which came from an Aladdin’s cave of treasures belonging to a jeweler friend. “I believe that things should speak to you, and when I saw that stone, it was like love at first sight.” A grin spreads across her face. “Then I thought, ****, maybe I should ask how much it is.”

Her folly was the movie’s windfall. “I felt like this was the Eleanor piece,” says Yeoh. “It's recognizable, but it's so simple. It's not a big name, it doesn't come from a particular brand.” But its extravagance stressed out everyone on set. “The producers were more worried than I was,” she says, laughing. “I said, ‘It's already insured, don't worry.’”

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/michelley-cra3-1550769135.jpg
WARNER BROS.

Yeoh’s jewelry is kind of a signature. “I love my jewels,” she says. “When I used to live in Hong Kong, my friends and I would play Mahjong”—the Chinese game that plays a pivotal role in the movie—“and we would wear all our rings, all our bracelets, and go like this.” She swirls her hands around as if she’s shuffling tiles on the bright green felt of a playing table, imagining the tornado-meets-windchime clacking of precious stones and glittering metal. Then her head goes back, and there’s that boisterous laugh again.

As if by conjuring, Yeoh spots Crazy Rich Asians author Kevin Kwan ensconced in another corner of the restaurant. When our time comes to an end, she gets up to greet him. But she’s concerned; my plate isn’t empty. “You didn't get to eat!” she says. I assure her I’ll finish every last bite before I go. “Okay, good,” she says, squeezing my shoulder gently.

It’s what Eleanor Young does when she sees Nick for the first time—makes sure he’s fed. It’s what she does when she hand-rolls dumplings with her family—pays respect to tradition and propriety. And I think it means the same thing coming from Michelle Yeoh. She knows how important it is.

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/legendsissue-my-1550768086.jpg
EMILY SHUR

Photography by Emily Shur | Cinematography by Danny Dwyer | Style Editor Yashua Simmons | Style Assistant Mark-Paul Barro | Hair by Makiko Nara using Oribe at Walter Schupfer Management Makeup by Sabrina Bedrani for Christian Dior Beauty | Special Thanks to Airbnb | Special Thanks to Cavallier Investigations | Special Thanks to Ladurée | Video Production by Rachel Liberman | Production by Oona Wally, Suze Lee, & Sameet Sharma
ESTELLE TANG Senior Editor
Estelle Tang is the Senior Editor covering culture and entertainment at ELLE.com, including TV, movies, books, and music.
Luv Michelle. Just luv her.

I think we've discussed all the films and shows mentioned above and I don't feel like linking them right now.

GeneChing
05-13-2019, 08:22 AM
FILM
CANNES
Michelle Yeoh Joins ‘Gunpowder Milkshake’ – Cannes (https://deadline.com/2019/05/michelle-yeoh-gunpowder-milkshake-lena-headey-angela-bassett-navot-papushado-1202611713/)
By Mike Fleming Jr
Co-Editor-in-Chief, Film
@DeadlineMike

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/micehelle-yeoh-e1557509755328.jpg?w=910&h=511&crop=1
Matt Baron/Shutterstock

Michelle Yeoh has committed to star in Gunpowder Milkshake, joining Avengers: Endgame and Guardians of the Galaxy‘s Karen Gillan, Game of Thrones‘ Lena Headey, Black Panther‘s Angela Bassett and Billions‘ Paul Giamatti. Pic is a female-driven high-concept assassin story that has a rich mythology and spans multiple generations.

Written and directed by Big Bad Wolves‘ Navot Papushado, the film begins shooting at the Babelsberg FilmStudio in Germany, with principal photography commencing June 3. Ehud Lavski has co-written.

Studiocanal and The Picture Company partners Andrew Rona & Alex Heineman produce. Papushado’s Big Bad Wolves’ partner Aharon Keshales is exec producer.

Yeoh is coming off shooting the Avatar sequels, Crazy Rich Asians and Star Trek: Discovery. She returns to the action game after Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and the 007 film Tomorrow Never Dies. She is represented by her manager David Unger of Artist International.

Studiocanal will release in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Germany and France, and will be selling the rest of world at Cannes. It is co-repping U.S. rights with UTA.

The Picture Company has an overall deal with Studiocanal.

THREADS
Gunpowder Milkshake (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71156-Gunpowder-Milkshake)
Cannes (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?53853-Cannes)

GeneChing
07-11-2019, 09:40 AM
Carl Samson·July 8, 2019·6 min read
Michelle Yeoh Tells Lena Headey to ‘F*** Off’ in Hilarious Video (https://nextshark.com/michelle-yeoh-lena-headey-video/?fbclid=IwAR0G3eh44uSofcYw2fvZUc_Gtpz-cZ4gDmuDFwqlCQqB5MXJ14Zu-inzUlg)

https://nextshark-vxdsockgvw3ki.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/HEADEYxYEOH.png

Michelle Yeoh and Lena Headey have certainly gotten closer on the set of “Gunpowder Milkshake.”

On Thursday, Headey shared a short video showing exactly what it’s like to work with the “Crazy Rich Asians” star — especially when she “hates” you.

https://nextshark-vxdsockgvw3ki.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/HEADEYxYEOH_1.jpg
Image via Instagram / @iamlenaheadey

“Good morning, Michelle!” Headey greets Yeoh, who comes out from a trailer truck. “How are you doing?”

In response, Yeoh says, “Oh, f*** off.”

https://nextshark-vxdsockgvw3ki.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/HEADEYxYEOH_2.jpg
Image via Instagram / @iamlenaheadey

The exchange, which ends with Yeoh even giving Headey what appears to be the finger, has raked in nearly a million plays.

“I LOVE HER SO MUCH ITS ANNOYING. Obvs,” the “Game of Thrones” star captioned the video.

iamlenaheadey
Verified (https://www.instagram.com/p/BziPV49Beoy/?utm_source=ig_embed)

Click video for sound

iamlenaheadey's profile picture
iamlenaheadey
Verified
I LOVE HER SO MUCH ITS ANNOYING . Obvs @michelleyeoh_official 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

Follow the link to Lena's gram above to hear it.

THREADS
Gunpowder Milkshake (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71156-Gunpowder-Milkshake)

GeneChing
01-20-2020, 09:24 AM
I just stumbled across this when searching for something else entirely. Good to know, right?

Michelle Yeoh tops list of most ‘dangerous’ celebrities to search for online in S’pore, says study (https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/michelle-yeoh-tops-list-most-dangerous-celebrities-search-online-spore-says-study)
By*JUSTIN ONG

https://www.todayonline.com/sites/default/files/styles/new_app_article_detail/public/photos/43_images/yeoh.jpg?itok=-BtctuOU
REUTERS
Malaysian actress Michelle Yeoh (pictured) at the premiere of the 2018 hit Crazy Rich Asians in Los Angeles.

Published 22 OCTOBER, 2019 UPDATED 22 OCTOBER, 2019

SINGAPORE — A simple web search for free content featuring Malaysian actress Michelle Yeoh could expose searchers to a high level of risk of malicious websites and viruses, according to a study released on Tuesday (Oct 22).

Yeoh, who most recently starred*in 2018 box office hit Crazy Rich Asians, tops the list of the most dangerous celebrities to search for online in Singapore, the study by computer security company McAfee found.

Yeoh, 57, has a string of hit movies dating back decades including the 1997 James Bond movie Tomorrow Never Dies and the 2000 martial arts hit Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Other famous names that made the top 10 list include rapper and musician Nicki Minaj in second place, American actress Scarlett Johansson in sixth, and Taiwanese singer A-mei in 10th spot.

WHY DOES IT HAPPEN?

Consumers have multiple platforms to choose from to access content about their favourite celebrities. This gives them the opportunity to conduct potentially dangerous searches across the Internet to find the latest celebrity news and gossip, McAfee said.

Read also: Avril Lavigne, Bruno Mars named ‘most dangerous’ in online searches

Cybercriminals use these opportunities to lure unsuspecting consumers to malicious websites that may install malware or steal personal information and passwords.

HOW ARE THE 'MOST DANGEROUS' CELEBRITIES IDENTIFIED?

The top celebrities in the study had search terms coupled with search terms such as “torrent” or “pirated download” (for example, “Michelle Yeoh” and “pirated download”). Torrent files are often used to download illegal movies, songs or games.

Read also: Sharp spike in web threats against S’pore Internet users in 2018: Cyber security firm

McAfee measured the risk levels of domains and URLs generated by these searches and assigned a risk-level score to the sites, before compiling the top 10 list.

The firm said that when searching for these celebrities, consumers are often unaware of the risks involved in downloading content featuring the celebrities.

Personal information is often compromised in exchange for access to consumers’*favourite celebrities, movies, television shows or music, said Mr Shashwat Khandelwal, head of South-east Asia consumer business*at McAfee.

McAfee said that despite many streaming services available to consumers, many still “choose to put their digital lives at risk in exchange for pirated content” in the pursuit of “free” options.

“It’s important for these viewers to understand the risks associated with torrent or pirated downloads, as they may open up themselves to savvy cybercriminals and end up having a much higher cost to pay,” McAfee added.

WHAT CAN CONSUMERS DO?

Stream and download movies, music and TV shows directly only from a reliable source. The safest thing to do is to wait for the official release instead of visiting third-party websites that may contain malicious software (malware) disguised as pirated video files.

Use a*comprehensive cybersecurity solution to protect yourself*from malware, phishing attacks, and other threats.

Use a “web reputation” tool. These tools — many of which are available for free — help alert users when they are about to go to a malicious website.

Use parental control software. Ensure that limits are set for your child on the devices they use and use parental control software to help minimise exposure to potentially malicious or inappropriate websites.

GeneChing
03-28-2022, 08:16 AM
Read my latest feature for Den of Geek: Best Michelle Yeoh Movies You Need to Watch Right Now (https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/best-michelle-yeoh-movies/)

https://www.denofgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/everything-everywhere-michelle-yeoh-1.jpg?resize=768%2C432

Threads
Michelle-Yeoh (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?44824-Michelle-Yeoh)
Everything-Everywhere-All-At-Once (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?72284-Everything-Everywhere-All-At-Once)

GeneChing
04-09-2022, 08:25 AM
Read my latest feature for Den of Geek: Everything Everywhere: Inside the Craziest Fight Scene You’ll Ever See (https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/everything-everywhere-fight-scene-choreography/)

https://www.denofgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Michelle-Yeoh-wuxia-Everything-Everywhere-All-at-Once-Review.jpg?resize=768%2C432

Threads
Michelle-Yeoh (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?44824-Michelle-Yeoh)
Everything-Everywhere-All-At-Once (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?72284-Everything-Everywhere-All-At-Once)

GeneChing
08-12-2022, 09:35 AM
Michelle Yeoh becomes Dr. Yeoh as first Asian artist to receive AFI’s honorary doctorate in fine arts (https://nextshark.com/michelle-yeoh-becomes-dr-yeoh-as-first-asian-artist-to-receive-afis-honorary-doctorate-in-fine-arts/)
Grace Kim
4 days ago

https://nextshark.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Michelle-Yeoh.jpg.webp

Michelle Yeoh will receive an honorary doctorate of fine arts degree from the American Film Institute “for contributions of distinction to the art of the moving image.”

She will be the first Asian artist to receive the honor.

The award will be presented on Saturday, Aug. 13, at Hollywood’s iconic TCL Chinese Theatre during the commencement ceremony for AFI Conservatory’s Class of 2022.

Malaysian actor Michelle Yeoh will become the first Asian artist to receive an honorary doctorate of fine arts degree from the American Film Institute (AFI).

The AFI announced on Monday that Yeoh will be recognized “for contributions of distinction to the art of the moving image” spanning her over-40-year career.

Yeoh will be presented the honor on Saturday, Aug. 13, at Hollywood’s iconic TCL Chinese Theatre during the commencement ceremony for AFI Conservatory’s Class of 2022. AFI Trustee Emeritus Lawrence Herbert will also be conferred with an honorary doctorate of communication arts degree for his commitment to AFI’s mission on the same day.

“Michelle Yeoh and Lawrence Herbert have inspired the world with their remarkable talents,” AFI President and CEO Bob Gazzale said in a statement on Monday. “Though both of these trailblazers have proven impact in vastly different ways, it is their shared dedication to the art of the moving image that provides this proud moment for AFI to shine a proper light upon their gifts given us.”

Yeoh has accumulated over 70 acting credits across film and TV in a number of diverse roles. The actor made a name for herself early on in her career within Hong Kong’s film industry, then rose to international stardom in the ‘90s with films such as “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” and the James Bond film “Tomorrow Never Dies.” Some of her other notable works over the past few decades include “Memoirs of a Geisha,” “Crazy Rich Asians,” “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” and “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.”

Her recent performance as the star of A24’s critically acclaimed “Everything Everywhere All at Once” is generating Oscar buzz. The mind-boggling film became the studio’s first film to reach the $100 million milestone at the box office last week.

Yeoh will also be leading an all-Asian cast in the upcoming Netflix drama series “The Brothers Sun.”

Featured Image via Getty First Asian doctorate here? Aren't we all Doctors? Asians be lagging. :rolleyes:

GeneChing
08-31-2022, 08:45 AM
Aug 29, 2022 8:00am PT
Michelle Yeoh to Receive Toronto Film Festival’s Groundbreaker Award (https://variety.com/2022/film/actors/michelle-yeoh-toronto-award-1235353081/)

By Patrick Frater

https://variety.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Michelle-Yeoh-Photo-Credit-Thomas-Laisne-Getty-Images-for-Richard-Mille-cr-res.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1
Michelle Yeoh
Thomas Laisne, Getty Images for Richard Mille

Michelle Yeoh will receive the Toronto International Film Festival’s inaugural Share Her Journey Groundbreaker Award.

The TIFF Share Her Journey Groundbreaker Award recognizes a woman who is a leader in the film industry and has made a positive impact for women throughout their career.

The award, sponsored by Bulgari, will be presented at an in-person gala fundraiser on Sunday, Sept. 11 at the Fairmont Royal York Hotel.

“Michelle Yeoh is the definition of groundbreaking,” said Cameron Bailey, TIFF CEO. “Her screen work has spanned continents, genres and decades. This year she delivered a performance in ‘Everything Everywhere All at Once’ that shows her limitless abilities.”

With a nearly 40-year career, Yeoh has broken barriers and inspired generations of audiences with her performances. These include “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,” “Tomorrow Never Dies” and “Crazy Rich Asians.”

Born in Malaysia and educated in the U.K., Yeoh enjoyed her initial acting success in 1990s Hong Kong action films and briefly became a producer following stardom in Roger Spottiswoode’s James Bond title “Tomorrow Never Dies” and Ang Lee’s 2000 breakout hit “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.”

Returning to acting, she went on to defy convention and build a global career with key roles in Rob Marshall’s “Memoirs of a Geisha,” Danny Boyle’s “Sunshine,” and Jon Chu’s “Crazy Rich Asians.” After appearing in James Gunn’s second installment of the “Guardians of the Galaxy” franchise, Yeoh returned to the Marvel universe in Destin Daniel Cretton’s “Shang-Chi.” In March 2022, she starred in the Daniels’ genre-melting “Everything Everywhere All at Once,” which has since become A24’s highest grossing film.

Yeoh was recently announced as the first Asian artist to receive the American Film Institute Honor, and was this year featured in the Time 100 “Most Influential People” list.

Past TIFF Tribute Awards have gone to Jessica Chastain, Roger Deakins, Anthony Hopkins, Joaquin Phoenix, Taika Waititi, and Chloe Zhao.

“Bulgari has a long history of championing women, in front of and behind the camera, in the cinematic arts. Supporting this TIFF Tribute Award is a continuation of this legacy of cultivating future talent and their groundbreaking work that enriches the world we live in,” said Jean-Christophe Babin, CEO of Bulgari Group.

Asian-Film-Festivals-and-Awards (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?48392-Asian-Film-Festivals-and-Awards)

GeneChing
10-17-2022, 09:18 AM
Michelle Yeoh, Pete Davidson Join ‘Transformers: Rise of the Beasts’ (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/michelle-yeoh-pete-davidson-transformers-rise-of-the-beasts-1235239562/)
Yeoh will provide the voice of Airazor, and Davidson will voice Mirage, as they help director Steven Caple Jr. with the 1990s-set film inspired by the popular 'Beast Wars' property and for Paramount.

BY ETAN VLESSING

OCTOBER 11, 2022 4:34PM
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/Michelle-Yeoh-and-Pete-Davidson-Split-Getty-H-2022.jpg?w=1296&h=730&crop=1&resize=681%2C383
Michelle Yeoh, Pete Davidson JEREMY CHAN/GETTY IMAGES; KEVIN WINTER/GETTY IMAGES

Michelle Yeoh and Pete Davidson have boarded Transformers: Rise of the Beasts, the seventh installment of the Paramount Pictures franchise based on Hasbro’s Transformers action figures and inspired by the popular 1990s Beast Wars property.

Yeoh will lend her voice to the Airazor character, and Davidson will voice Mirage, as previously announced Steven Caple Jr. will direct. Dominque Fishback and In The Heights actor Anthony Ramos will also star.

Entertainment One, Hasbro’s entertainment studio, is executive producing, while Skydance is co-financing and executive producing.

Returning to the action of the original franchise movie 15 years ago with the original Transformers, the latest sequel Transformers: Rise of the Beasts will offer a 1990s globetrotting adventure and introduce the Maximals and Terrorcons to the existing battle on earth between Autobots and Decepticons.

New Republic Pictures is also co-financing and executive producing. Transformers: Rise of the Beasts is produced by Lorenzo di Bonaventura, Michael Bay, Mark Vahradian and Duncan Henderson.

The sequel is set for a June 9, 2023, release after being pushed back a year by a pandemic-era production delay.

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts will partially be set in Brooklyn, New York, and will also go to Peru, among other locations. Michael Bay directed five Transformers films from 2007-17, with Travis Knight having helmed the 2018, 1980s-set prequel Bumblebee. The franchise has grossed $4.8 billion globally.

Transformers (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?47070-Transformers)

GeneChing
10-17-2022, 09:21 AM
Michelle Yeoh, Jamie Dornan, Tina Fey, and more join Agatha Christie thriller A Haunting in Venice
Kenneth Branagh is back as Hercule Poirot. (https://ew.com/movies/agatha-christie-a-haunting-in-venice-movie-cast/)

By Lauren Huff
October 10, 2022 at 07:03 PM EDT

The suspects have been assembled for Kenneth Branagh's latest Agatha Christie adaptation.

The film, titled A Haunting in Venice, will once again be directed by Branagh, who will of course reprise his role as mustachioed detective Hercule Poirot. A Haunting in Venice, which is described as an "unsettling supernatural-thriller inspired by Christie's novel Hallowe'en Party," will feature a screenplay by Oscar nominee Michael Green (Logan), and will fittingly start production on Halloween. It will shoot both at Pinewood Studios outside London and on location in Venice.

In addition to Branagh, the mystery will boast a starry cast that includes Kyle Allen, Camille Cottin, Jamie Dornan, Tina Fey, Jude Hill, Ali Khan, Emma Laird, Kelly Reilly, Riccardo Scamarico, and Michelle Yeoh.

The film, which is Branagh's third Christie adaptation with 20th Century Studios after 2017's Murder on the Orient Express and 2022's Death on the Nile, is set in post-World War II Venice on All Hallows' Eve. Per the official logline, it follows a now-retired Poirot who is living in a self-imposed exile in Venice, when he reluctantly agrees to attend a séance at a decaying, haunted palazzo. When one of the guests is murdered, the detective is thrust into a sinister world of shadows and secrets.

https://imagesvc.meredithcorp.io/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F6%2F2022%2F10%2F10%2FM ichelle-Yeoh-Jamie-Dornan-Tina-Fey-101022.jpg
Michelle Yeoh, Jamie Dornan, and Tina Fey | CREDIT: STEPHANE CARDINALE - CORBIS/CORBIS VIA GETTY IMAGES; EMMA MCINTYRE/GETTY IMAGES; FRAZER HARRISON/GETTY IMAGES
"This is a fantastic development of the character Hercule Poirot, as well as the Agatha Christie franchise," Branagh said in a statement. "Based on a complex, little known tale of mystery set at Halloween in a pictorially ravishing city, it is an amazing opportunity for us, as filmmakers, and we are relishing the chance to deliver something truly spine-chilling for our loyal movie audiences."

Judy Hofflund is back as a producer. Executive producers include Louise Killin and James Prichard, along with Ridley Scott, Simon Kinberg, and Mark Gordon. The film also marks a reunion for Dornan and Hill, who previously starred together in Branagh's Oscar-winning semi-autobiographical drama, Belfast, last year.

A Haunting in Venice will open in theaters nationwide in 2023.

A two-for for Michelle Monday!

GeneChing
12-06-2022, 11:01 AM
2022 ICON OF THE YEAR

MICHELLE YEOH

DECEMBER 6, 2022 8:43 AM EST
Cast your eyes to the floor and you’ll notice: though there are dozens of people here, engaged in as many conversations over afternoon cocktails, virtually all the shoes in the room are angled toward Michelle Yeoh.

It’s mid-November in Los Angeles, which means the city is gearing up for Oscars season, and Yeoh is holding court before an industry screening of her film Everything Everywhere All at Once. Everyone here wants to meet her, to shake her hand, to be remembered by her. Dressed in staggering platform sneakers and an embellished blazer, she’s posing for photos, cracking jokes, throwing her head back to laugh, sipping from a glass of wine—embodying the role of the star—until fellow actor Ke Huy Quan approaches, and she softens. She places a hand on his cheek, brushes something from his shirt. The two played husband and wife in the surreal, action-packed family love story, and through their connection, Yeoh’s warmth becomes visible in the chaos.

https://api.time.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/TIM221226_POY-Magnolia-Cover.jpg?quality=85&w=800
Photograph by Michelle Watt for TIME
“They call it a campaign,” she says later, exhaling in the silence of a private dining room. She’s played her part, and now she can eat. “It’s a little overwhelming.”

The fact that all this is new to Yeoh is remarkable. Since making her debut in Hong Kong action films in the mid-’80s, the now 60-year-old Malaysian actor has battled Jet Li in The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, flung herself onto a moving car driven by Jackie Chan in Supercop, and jumped off a skyscraper with Pierce Brosnan’s James Bond in Tomorrow Never Dies. She had major roles in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; Memoirs of a Geisha; and Crazy Rich Asians. She’s done Marvel, Star Trek, Kung Fu Panda, Minions—Avatar, Transformers, and The Witcher are next. But, until Everything Everywhere All at Once, which premiered in March, she had never been No. 1 on a Hollywood call sheet.

She’s clear about why: Asian actors have long been given stereotypical or inconsequential roles, and rarely top billing. “It shouldn’t be about my race, but it has been a battle,” she says, golden baubles on her jacket clanging as she mimics elbowing her way through a crowd. “At least let me try.”

Which is why the role of Evelyn Wang in Everything Everywhere All at Once was such a revelation. In the hit art-house film directed by Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert (known as Daniels), Yeoh is an overworked, over-burdened immigrant wife and mother facing an IRS audit of the family laundromat when, suddenly, everything changes. She learns that there are multiple versions of the universe, and they’re all facing a threat that only she can stop—if she can figure out how to jump between different realities and pick up skills possessed by different versions of herself. Yeoh has the opportunity to showcase all of her talents—as a martial artist but also, in portraying Evelyn’s deep love for her family, even as she struggles to communicate with them, her abilities as a dramatic actor. It’s a shift for the actor, who toggles between wacky sequences, like a world where humans have hot dogs for fingers, and intimate moments. “She usually plays masters, tough fighters,” says Jet Li. “The action—I know she can do it. But really acting from the heart, believing the part, makes the movie very special.”

https://api.time.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/time-icon-of-the-year-2022-michelle-yeoh-everything-everywhere-all-at-once.jpg?quality=85&w=800
Yeoh knew the film would be a hit when it premiered at SXSW: “The last time when I felt that so immediately was in Cannes for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.” Courtesy A24
This is the moment Yeoh has long been waiting for: a big, starring role, the kind that could make her a household name. She likes to tell the story of how, during a recent press tour, she kept hearing from young journalists that their parents were excited for them to interview her. Her point is that she wants young people themselves to think she’s cool and relevant. I know this means I probably shouldn’t bring up my parents, but there’s a problem: my mom, who I’ve heard refer to Yeoh as her “hero,” is currently hiding in my company-provided hotel room. She doesn’t live in Los Angeles—she flew here, ostensibly to spend time with me, but we both know the truth. She wants to meet Michelle Yeoh.

Yeoh was not meant to be a movie star. Growing up in Ipoh, Malaysia, she imagined a future in ballet. But a back injury at the Royal Academy of Dance in London cut her dancing ambitions short, and in 1983 her mother entered her in the Miss Malaysia pageant—which she won—and soon she was filming a wristwatch commercial with Jackie Chan. The production company for the ad also made movies, and she quickly found her way into the industry.

Yeoh has been a major star in Asia for decades—she was a giant in the golden age of Hong Kong action cinema, top-lining dozens of films and earning a reputation for nailing daring stunts. She nearly quit acting more than once—first because she got married and planned to have children (a path she learned wasn’t possible for her), and later because of injuries she suffered on set. In 1995, Yeoh was recovering from a stunt gone wrong when Quentin Tarantino, in Hong Kong to promote Pulp Fiction, stopped by to pay homage. As he recited her fight sequences, frame by frame, Yeoh decided she wasn’t done. Soon, she landed her first major Hollywood role: Wai Lin, the Chinese secret agent in Tomorrow Never Dies who, in what was then a departure for the franchise, was every bit James Bond’s equal.

continued next post

GeneChing
12-06-2022, 11:02 AM
https://api.time.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/time-icon-of-the-year-2022-michelle-yeoh-green.jpg?quality=85&w=800
Michelle Watt
Around that time was when Yeoh realized that there was a fast way to gain a foothold in the U.S., and there was a right way. People she met could not distinguish Malaysia from China or Japan, and were overly complimentary of her English. After Bond, the offers came in—but they were for the only kind of roles the industry could imagine for someone who looked like her. Yeoh turned down everything that perpetuated harmful tropes about Asian women, and it was three years before she made another Hollywood film.

That project was the 2000 martial-arts fantasy Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Director Ang Lee thought of her first for the role of the warrior Yu Shu Lien, who grounds the movie. “I would hope, selfishly, that it was the peak for her,” Lee says, adding that she made him cry on set. “But she just went on making good performances, year after year.”

Another high point was 2018’s Crazy Rich Asians, in which Yeoh played a tough yet loving mother who disapproves of her son’s relationship. For Kevin Kwan, the author of the book and an executive producer on the film, her performance exposed a dichotomy: audience members in Asia expected nothing less from a familiar star, while Americans treated her like a new discovery. There was a push to launch an Oscar campaign for her, but it didn’t take off. “Hopefully, that planted a seed,” Kwan says. “And you keep building.”

Yeoh is carrying an added weight in this year’s Academy Awards race: the understanding that victory for her would be received by Asians everywhere as victory for them too. No Asian woman has won Best Actress. “I’ve thought about it,” she admits. “And not just me—I feel like my full Asian community has thought about it. They come up to me and they say, ‘You’re doing it for us.’”

Yeoh is suddenly finding herself, after all these years, in the conversation with many women, white women in particular, who are considered to be the very best at their craft. “I do look at all my peers—Cate Blanchett, Olivia Colman, Helen Mirren—and go, Oh God, I envy all the different opportunities you get to showcase your talent again and again,” Yeoh says. She put everything she had into playing Evelyn Wang. “When you get an opportunity like this, you have to pour your heart and soul into it, because you don’t know when the next chance is,” she says. “I think that is my biggest fear: Please don’t let this be the one and only.”

It’s hard to put into words what representation means to people who so rarely enjoy it—how it feels to see, for the first time, a person onscreen who looks like you or someone you love saving the world. I’m trying to find the right way to ask Yeoh what this means to her when I realize I need to tell her the truth: I’ve stashed my mother nearby, and she’s dying for an introduction. I’m not at all surprised when Yeoh insists I bring Mom to the photo shoot the next morning.

In the car on the way to the studio, I offer my mother a warning: this is a top-secret operation, and she cannot take photos. Inevitably, the moment we arrive and she takes in the scene—the crew, the equipment, and the Michelle Yeoh, radiant in front of long, lighted mirrors—Mom’s phone is out of her pocket. But Yeoh greets us both with such warmth and recognition that in that moment we are not journalist and guest—we are daughter and mother, greeting an icon who represents us in a way that feels deeply personal.

For hours, I watch my mom watch Yeoh. She has her arms stretched outward in a glittering gown, she’s dancing. Everyone is rapt. And she reminds me of my mom—they are of the same generation, after all, and they are both dynamic and fierce and wonderful in ways that feel related, at least to me. To see my mom witness Yeoh at work is to understand what she means to so many people around the world.

https://api.time.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/time-icon-of-the-year-2022-michelle-yeoh-chair.jpg?quality=85&w=800
Michelle Watt for TIME
If life is a series of decisions that set you on your own path, Yeoh has made some good ones. Starring in a film about confronting multiple realities has meant she’s been answering questions about alternate versions of her own life all year—what if she’d never injured her back as a teen ballerina? What if she’d had children and remained retired? What if Tarantino had never visited her? Her answer is always the same: There’s no point in wondering what if. Her life has gone the way it has gone, and there’s only forward from here.

What happens next, at least for this film, is out of her hands. But that doesn’t stop her from reaching one across the table, palm open toward me.

“OK,” she says, meeting my eyes with a disarming combination of jest and sincerity. “Give it to me.” Yeoh has always been a woman who knows what she wants: to prove herself, to lend voice to fully embodied, fascinating characters, to play and to love and to reach generations through the magic of movies. Now she wants that Oscar—that validation for herself and for people around the world who look like her, like us, so we can experience what it feels like to be told we belong. “It’s not about needing it,” she says. “It’s that feeling that you don’t have to explain: it’s love from other people. My arms are out open.” —With reporting by Mariah Espada

Set Design by Rian Calhoun; Styling by Jordan Johnson; Hair by Bertrand W Delacourt; Make-up by Sabrina Bedrani

Write to Lucy Feldman at lucy.feldman@time.com.

Congrats to Michelle. She totally deserves this.

GeneChing
01-11-2023, 12:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHpDqn0nlK8

The-Golden-Globes (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71111-The-Golden-Globes)

GeneChing
01-15-2023, 12:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=QGIyYbfAIU8

GeneChing
03-13-2023, 08:34 AM
Mar 12, 2023 4:59pm PT
‘Everything Everywhere All at Once’ Dominates Oscars With Seven Wins, Including Best Picture (Full Winners List) (https://variety.com/2023/awards/awards/oscar-winners-2023-list-1235548935/)
By Brent Lang, William Earl
https://variety.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/Everything-Everywhere-All-at-Once-Best-Picture-Oscar-Win.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1&resize=681%2C383
Getty Images

“Everything Everywhere All at Once” was named best picture at the 95th Academy Awards on Sunday, capping off an improbable awards season run by winning the movie business’s highest honor.

The film, a gonzo adventure about a Chinese-American laundromat owner grappling with an IRS audit and inter-dimensional attackers, earned seven statues, including original screenplay and directing honors for its creators Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert (collectively known as the Daniels). The victory is a triumph for A24, the indie studio that pushed the zany film to an impressive $100 million at the box office, a stunning achievement at a time when the market for arthouse movies has shriveled. The studio also managed the rare feat of nabbing all four acting honors — three of which were won by “Everything Everywhere All at Once” and one by “The Whale.”

It was a night of comebacks and reassessments. “Everything Everywhere All at Once’s” Michelle Yeoh became the first Asian woman to be recognized as best actress. The honor came after a long career in martial arts and action movies like “Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon” and “Yes, Madam.”

“Ladies, don’t ever let anyone tell you that you are past your prime,” Yeoh said. “For all the little boys and girls who look like me watching tonight, this is a beacon of hope and possibilities,” she added.

Brendan Fraser took best actor honors for his performance as a morbidly obese man trying to reconnect with his estranged daughter in “The Whale.” Fraser, once a prominent actor known for his work in popcorn flicks such as “George of the Jungle” and “The Mummy,” had spent the last decade and change away from the spotlight dealing with health and personal struggles. His win continues his remarkable resurgence.

“I started in this business 30 years ago, and this – they certainly didn’t come easily to me, but there was a facility that I didn’t appreciate at the time until it stopped,” Fraser said, acknowledging his career setbacks. He thanked his director Darren Aronofsky for “throwing me a creative lifeline and hauling me aboard.”

Ke Huy Quan won best supporting actor for his performance as Yeoh’s frazzled husband in “Everything Everywhere All at Once.” A former child star who appeared in “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom” and “The Goonies,” Quan had given up on acting in recent years, frustrated by his lack of opportunities. Accepting his award, he fought back tears while sharing his personal history.

“My journey started on a boat,” he said. “I spent a year in a refugee camp and somehow I ended up here on Hollywood’s biggest stage. They say stories like this only happen in the movies. I cannot believe it’s happening to me. This is the American dream.”

“Dreams are something that you have to believe in,” he added. “I almost gave up on mine. To all of you out there, please keep your dreams alive.”

Jamie Lee Curtis, a veteran headliner of horror hits such as “Halloween” and the daughter of Hollywood legends Janet Leigh and Tony Curtis, won best supporting actress for her turn as an IRS inspector in “Everything Everywhere All at Once.”

Curtis dedicated her statue “to all of the people who have supported the genre movies that I’ve made for all these years” and also acknowledged her family history in entertainment, noting, “my mother and my father were both nominated for Oscars in different categories.” Choking up, she ended with: “I just won an Oscar.”

With its multiverse storyline, and off-beat touches such as a character with hot dog hands and weaponized *****s, “Everything Everywhere All at Once” represents a radical departure from the kind of staid prestige fare that historically dominated the Oscars, but the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences has changed dramatically in recent years. In the wake of the#OscarsSoWhite controversy after no actors of color were nominated in two consecutive years, the Academy made a big push in 2016 to diversify the pool of voters. In subsequent years its membership has gotten younger, and now includes more people of color and women.

The ceremony unfolded at a tense time for Hollywood. As consumers have shifted away from cable and towards subscription streaming services, major studios and their corporate parents have spent a lot of time and coin launching their own in-house Netflix challengers. The entertainment industry has also undergone a period of consolidation, with Discovery merging with WarnerMedia, Disney buying much of 21st Century Fox and Amazon snatching MGM, deals that in the first two cases left the purchaser with a lot of debt on their balance sheet. Investors have become increasingly concerned that major media companies are over-leveraged and that the new ways that they are making money with streaming have failed to replace the old ways they once profited from such as cable subscriptions and movie ticket sales. That’s hurt the share prices of everyone from Netflix to Disney to the newly rechristened Warner Bros. Discovery, sparking a period of layoffs and cost-cutting. With a possible recession looming and studios facing tangled labor negotiations with the unions representing writers, directors and actors that could lead to strikes, there were dark clouds gathering that could have overshadowed the Oscars’ celebratory air.

Presiding over it all and (mostly) keeping things light and breezy was Jimmy Kimmel, returning for the third time as the host of the Oscars. The late night comic wasted no time bringing up the big moment from last year’s ceremony, when Will Smith charged the stage and slapped Chris Rock for making a joke about his wife Jada Pinkett Smith’s bald head (Pinkett Smith suffers from alopecia which leads to hair loss).

“If anyone in this theater commits an act of violence at any point during this show you will be awarded the Oscar for best actor and permitted to give a 19-minute-long speech,” Kimmel joked.

“If anything unpredictable or violent happens during the ceremony, just do what you did last year — nothing,” he added. “Sit there and do absolutely nothing. Maybe even give the assailant a hug.”

continued next post

GeneChing
03-13-2023, 08:35 AM
“All Quiet on the Western Front,” an adaptation of Erich Maria Remarque’s novel about trench life during World War I, picked up four Oscars, including the prize for best international features. Other major winners included “Pinocchio,” Guillermo del Toro’s stop-motion musical, which was named best animated film, as well as “Women Talking,” which earned best adapted screenplay for Sarah Polley.

“Navalny,” a look at Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny, won best documentary. Yulia Navalny, the imprisoned politician’s wife, came to the stage after the award was announced with a message aimed at Vladimir Putin. “I’m dreaming of the day when you will be free and our country will be free,” she said.

The Oscars did opt not to wade fully into international affairs. For the second year in a row, the program turned down overtures by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy to address the global audience about his country’s struggles against Russia’s illegal invasion.

This year’s crop of best picture nominees included smaller films such as “Triangle of Sadness” and “Tár,” but also several popular favorites like “Top Gun: Maverick” and “Avatar: The Way of Water.” It’s unclear how much the inclusion of these blockbusters will lift this year’s viewership, but the Oscars have been on a ratings nosedive. Last year’s telecast drew an audience of 16.6 million, the second-lowest ratings in its history. In contrast, in 2014, the Oscars drew 43 million viewers, a sign of the telecast’s precipitous drop in popularity.

The Oscars made some notable cosmetic changes, subbing in a champagne-colored carpet for the usual red one. That choice, however, led to some last minute scrambling after a rainy weekend left organizers cutting up sections of the carpet that had been ruined by the bad weather and dirty shoe soles. However, some near disasters were averted. On Saturday, Ovation Hollywood, the shopping center and entertainment complex that hosts the Academy Awards, suffered power outages. By Sunday, though, the skies cleared and the only sign of flickering lights were the flashbulbs greeting the stars as they made their way into the auditorium.
continued next post

GeneChing
03-13-2023, 08:36 AM
Here is the full list of Oscar winners:

Best Picture

“Everything Everywhere All at Once” — Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert and Jonathan Wang, producers

“All Quiet on the Western Front” — Malte Grunert, producer

“Avatar: The Way of Water” — James Cameron and Jon Landau, producers

“The Banshees of Inisherin” — Graham Broadbent, Pete Czernin and Martin McDonagh, producers

“Elvis” — Baz Luhrmann, Catherine Martin, Gail Berman, Patrick McCormick and Schuyler Weiss, producers

“The Fabelmans” — Kristie Macosko Krieger, Steven Spielberg and Tony Kushner, producers

“Tár” — Todd Field, Alexandra Milchan and Scott Lambert, producers

“Top Gun: Maverick” — Tom Cruise, Christopher McQuarrie, David Ellison and Jerry Bruckheimer, producers

“Triangle of Sadness” — Erik Hemmendorff and Philippe Bober, producers

“Women Talking” — Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner and Frances McDormand, producers

Best Lead Actress

Michelle Yeoh (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)

Cate Blanchett (“Tár”)

Ana de Armas (“Blonde”)

Andrea Riseborough (“To Leslie”)

Michelle Williams (“The Fabelmans”)

Best Lead Actor

Brendan Fraser (“The Whale”)

Austin Butler (“Elvis”)

Colin Farrell (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)

Paul Mescal (“Aftersun”)

Bill Nighy (“Living”)

Best Director

Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)

Martin McDonagh (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)

Steven Spielberg (“The Fabelmans”)

Todd Field (“Tár”)

Ruben Östlund (“Triangle of Sadness”)

Best Film Editing

“Everything Everywhere All at Once” — Paul Rogers

“The Banshees of Inisherin” — Mikkel E.G. Nielsen

“Elvis” — Matt Villa and Jonathan Redmond

“Tár” — Monika Willi

“Top Gun: Maverick” — Eddie Hamilton

Best Original Song

“Naatu Naatu” from “RRR” — music by M.M. Keeravaani, lyric by Chandrabose

“Applause” from “Tell It Like a Woman” — music and lyric by Diane Warren

“Hold My Hand” from “Top Gun: Maverick” — music and lyric by Lady Gaga and BloodPop

“Lift Me Up” from “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” — music by Tems, Rihanna, Ryan Coogler and Ludwig Goransson; lyric by Tems and Ryan Coogler

“This Is a Life” from “Everything Everywhere All at Once” — music by Ryan Lott, David Byrne and Mitski; lyric by Ryan Lott and David Byrne

Best Sound

“Top Gun: Maverick” — Mark Weingarten, James H. Mather, Al Nelson, Chris Burdon and Mark Taylor

“All Quiet on the Western Front” — Viktor Prášil, Frank Kruse, Markus Stemler, Lars Ginzel and Stefan Korte

“Avatar: The Way of Water” — Julian Howarth, Gwendolyn Yates Whittle, Dick Bernstein, Christopher Boyes, Gary Summers and Michael Hedges

“The Batman” — Stuart Wilson, William Files, Douglas Murray and Andy Nelson

“Elvis” — David Lee, Wayne Pashley, Andy Nelson and Michael Keller

Best Adapted Screenplay

“Women Talking” — Sarah Polley

“All Quiet on the Western Front” — Edward Berger, Lesley Paterson and Ian Stokell

“Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery” — Rian Johnson

“Living” — Kazuo Ishiguro

“Top Gun: Maverick” — screenplay by Ehren Kruger, Eric Warren Singer and Christopher McQuarrie; story by Peter Craig and Justin Marks

Best Original Screenplay

“Everything Everywhere All at Once” — Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert

“The Banshees of Inisherin” — Martin McDonagh

“The Fabelmans” — Steven Spielberg and Tony Kushner

“Tár” — Todd Field

“Triangle of Sadness” — Ruben Östlund

Best Visual Effects

“Avatar: The Way of Water” — Joe Letteri, Richard Baneham, Eric Saindon and Daniel Barrett

“All Quiet on the Western Front” — Frank Petzold, Viktor Müller, Markus Frank and Kamil Jafar

“The Batman” — Dan Lemmon, Russell Earl, Anders Langlands and Dominic Tuohy

“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” — Geoffrey Baumann, Craig Hammack, R. Christopher White and Dan Sudick

“Top Gun: Maverick” — Ryan Tudhope, Seth Hill, Bryan Litson and Scott R. Fisher

Best Original Score

“All Quiet on the Western Front” — Volker Bertelmann

“Babylon” — Justin Hurwitz

“The Banshees of Inisherin” — Carter Burwell

“Everything Everywhere All at Once” — Son Lux

“The Fabelmans” — John Williams

Best Production Design

“All Quiet on the Western Front” — production design by Christian M. Goldbeck, set decoration by Ernestine Hipper

“Avatar: The Way of Water” — production design by Dylan Cole and Ben Procter, set decoration by Vanessa Cole

“Babylon” — production design by Florencia Martin, set decoration by Anthony Carlino

“Elvis” — production design by Catherine Martin and Karen Murphy, set decoration by Bev Dunn

“The Fabelmans” — production design by Rick Carter, set decoration by Karen O’Hara

Best Animated Short Film

“The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse” — Charlie Mackesy and Matthew Freud

“The Flying Sailor” — Amanda Forbis and Wendy Tilby

“Ice Merchants” — João Gonzalez and Bruno Caetano

“My Year of Dicks” — Sara Gunnarsdóttir and Pamela Ribon

“An Ostrich Told Me the World Is Fake and I Think I Believe It” — Lachlan Pendragon

Best Documentary Short Film

“The Elephant Whisperers” — Kartiki Gonsalves and Guneet Monga

“Haulout” — Evgenia Arbugaeva and Maxim Arbugaev

“How Do You Measure a Year?” — Jay Rosenblatt

“The Martha Mitchell Effect” — Anne Alvergue and Beth Levison

“Stranger at the Gate” — Joshua Seftel and Conall Jones

Best International Feature Film

“All Quiet on the Western Front” (Germany)

“Argentina, 1985” (Argentina)

“Close” (Belgium)

“EO” (Poland)

“The Quiet Girl” (Ireland)

Best Costume Design

“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” — Ruth E. Carter

“Babylon” — Mary Zophres

“Elvis” — Catherine Martin

“Everything Everywhere All at Once” — Shirley Kurata

“Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris” — Jenny Beavan

Best Makeup and Hairstyling

“The Whale” — Adrien Morot, Judy Chin and Anne Marie Bradley

“All Quiet on the Western Front” — Heike Merker and Linda Eisenhamerová

“The Batman” — Naomi Donne, Mike Marino and Mike Fontaine

“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” — Camille Friend and Joel Harlow

“Elvis” — Mark Coulier, Jason Baird and Aldo Signoretti

Best Cinematography

“All Quiet on the Western Front” — James Friend

“Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths” — Darius Khondji

“Elvis” — Mandy Walker

“Empire of Light” — Roger Deakins

“Tár” — Florian Hoffmeister

Best Live Action Short

“An Irish Goodbye” — Tom Berkeley and Ross White

“Ivalu” — Anders Walter and Rebecca Pruzan

“Le Pupille” — Alice Rohrwacher and Alfonso Cuarón

“Night Ride” — Eirik Tveiten and Gaute Lid Larssen

“The Red Suitcase” — Cyrus Neshvad

Best Documentary Feature Film

“Navalny” — Daniel Roher, Odessa Rae, Diane Becker, Melanie Miller and Shane Boris

“All That Breathes” — Shaunak Sen, Aman Mann and Teddy Leifer

“All the Beauty and the Bloodshed” — Laura Poitras, Howard Gertler, John Lyons, Nan Goldin and Yoni Golijov

“Fire of Love” — Sara Dosa, Shane Boris and Ina Fichman

“A House Made of Splinters” — Simon Lereng Wilmont and Monica Hellström

Best Supporting Actress

Jamie Lee Curtis (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)

Angela Bassett (“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”)

Hong Chau (“The Whale”)

Kerry Condon (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)

Stephanie Hsu (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)

Best Supporting Actor

Ke Huy Quan (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)

Brendan Gleeson (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)

Brian Tyree Henry (“Causeway”)

Judd Hirsch (“The Fabelmans”)

Barry Keoghan (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)

Best Animated Feature Film

“Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio” — Guillermo del Toro, Mark Gustafson, Gary Ungar and Alex Bulkley

“Marcel the Shell With Shoes On” — Dean Fleischer Camp, Elisabeth Holm, Andrew Goldman, Caroline Kaplan and Paul Mezey

“Puss in Boots: The Last Wish” — Joel Crawford and Mark Swift

“The Sea Beast” — Chris Williams and Jed Schlanger

“Turning Red” — Domee Shi and Lindsey Collins

Michelle-Yeoh (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?44824-Michelle-Yeoh)
The-Academy-Awards (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?20798-The-Academy-Awards)
Rrr (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?72383-Rrr)
Black-Panther-Wakanda-Forever (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71012-Black-Panther-Wakanda-Forever)

GeneChing
03-13-2023, 08:50 AM
Hong Kong Martial Arts Legend Sammo Hung Recalls Casting Michelle Yeoh in Her First Role (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/filmart-hong-kong-sammo-hung-michelle-yeoh-oscar-1235349997/)
"Everything Michelle has she has made for herself,” the veteran actor and producer said in response to her history-making Oscar win.

BY MATHEW SCOTT
MARCH 13, 2023 12:55AM
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/GettyImages-1473126799.jpg?w=2000&h=1126&crop=1&resize=681%2C383
Michelle Yeoh, winner of the best actress in a leading role Oscar for ‘Everything Everywhere All at Once' COURTESY OF RODIN ECKENROTH/GETTY IMAGES

Veteran Hong Kong martial arts director Sammo Hung first saw Michelle Yeoh in early 1984 when she arrived for a screen test with hopes of landing her very first role, a bit part in the action comedy The Owl vs. Bombo.

On Sunday night, Hung watched as Yeoh picked up an Oscar for her role as the universe-jumping housewife Evelyn Wang in Everything Everywhere All at Once — and he was part of the city that celebrated Yeoh’s win like she was one of their own.

“I’m very happy for her,” said Hung. “She had talent from the very beginning and we could all see that. We have never had many Chinese people standing on this [Oscars] stage. I hope this means there will be many more from now on.”

The Malaysia-born Yeoh turned to Hong Kong’s fabled film industry as her future as a 22-year-old. Injuries had curtailed her dreams of being a ballet dancer, and her training at London’s Royal Academy of Dance, and Yeoh had gone on to be voted Miss Malaysia in 1983. But she was looking for a career change.

On the advice of studio heads, Hung — who had already worked with Bruce Lee in the early 1970s and had helped craft the martial arts stylings of Jackie Chan, among others — was told to give the aspiring actress a chance.

“From the start, she was very easy to work with,” said Hung. “My boss just said here is a girl from Malaysia we want to work with. After that first role we just really wanted to see how far we could go with her. We thought immediately, ‘Why not see if she can become an action star?’”

The 71-year-old Hung — himself honored for his lifetime achievements Sunday night at the Asian Film Awards in Hong Kong — cast Yeoh in another small role, alongside Chan in 1985’s Twinkle, Twinkle, Lucky Stars. But in his role as a producer, he then gave her the lead in another action comedy, Yes, Madam, the very same year.

Thus, Yeoh’s future — and her fortune — was set on its path. Yes, Madam was among the first of the genre to cast female leads, and Yeoh threw herself into the challenge of playing a gun-toting inspector chasing down corrupt and often violent gangsters, later revealing she trained for eight hours a day, learning martial arts and sculpting her body to match the image of an action star. The film’s success spawned eight sequels.

“She always worked very hard, from the very beginning,” said Hung. “She’s also had luck and timing. She arrived when the Hong Kong film market was very good, and there were lots of opportunities. She worked hard and she used her talents. When the Hong Kong film industry wasn’t doing well, she found opportunities in America — so she took a chance. Everything Michelle has she has made for herself.”

Sammo-Hung (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?55110-Sammo-Hung)

GeneChing
04-18-2023, 08:36 AM
Apr 18, 2023 8:00am PT
Paramount+ Greenlights ‘Star Trek: Section 31’ Film Starring Michelle Yeoh (https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/paramount-plus-star-trek-section-31-film-michelle-yeoh-1235586743/)

By Joe Otterson
https://variety.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/Michelle-Yeoh-Star-Trek-Section-31.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1&resize=681%2C383
Russ Martin

Paramount+ is officially moving forward on a “Star Trek: Section 31” project starring Michelle Yeoh, but it will now be an event film instead of a series, Variety has learned.

It was first reported that a Section 31 series with Yeoh was in development back in 2019. In the film, Yeoh will reprise the role of Emperor Philippa Georgiou, whom she began playing during Season 1 of “Star Trek: Discovery.”

Per the official logline, “Emperor Philippa Georgiou joins a secret division of Starfleet tasked with protecting the United Federation of Planets and faces the sins of her past.” Rumors of a Yeoh-led Section 31 project began upon the conclusion of Season 1 of “Discovery,” after a deleted scene revealed Georgiou being approached by a member of the shadowy intelligence organization on the Klingon homeworld.

“I’m beyond thrilled to return to my ‘Star Trek’ family and to the role I’ve loved for so long,” said Yeoh. “Section 31 has been near and dear to my heart since I began the journey of playing Philippa all the way back when this new golden age of ‘Star Trek’ launched. To see her finally get her moment is a dream come true in a year that’s shown me the incredible power of never giving up on your dreams. We can’t wait to share what’s in store for you, and until then: live long and prosper (unless Emperor Georgiou decrees otherwise)!”

Production will begin on the film later this year.

The news comes about a month after Yeoh won the Academy Award for best actress for “Everything Everywhere All at Once,” making her the first Asian person to win the award. She also picked up wins at the SAG Awards, Independent Spirit Awards, and the Golden Globes for her work in the film. She is also known for her roles in films like “Crazy Rich Asians,” “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 1 & 2,” “Memoirs Of A Geisha,” the James Bond film “Tomorrow Never Dies,” and “Sunshine.”

She is repped by Artist International Group and Cohen & Gardner.

“All the way back in 2017, before the first season of ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ had even aired, Michelle had the idea to do a spin-off for her character, Philippa Georgiou,” said executive producer Alex Kurtzman. “She broke new ground as one of the first two women on screen in the pilot to usher in a new age of ‘Trek,’ and now, six years later, ‘Star Trek: Section 31’ finally arrives on the heels of her latest groundbreaking win. Everyone on Team ‘Trek’ couldn’t be more thrilled to have our legendary friend return home to us as we expand our storytelling into new and uncharted corners of the Trekverse. Long live Emperor Georgiou; long live Michelle Yeoh!”

Craig Sweeny (“Limitless,” “Medium”) serves as writer and executive producer on “Star Trek: Section 31.” Olatunde Osunsanmi (“Star Trek: Discovery,” “The Man Who Fell to Earth”) will direct and executive produce. Yeoh will executive produce in addition to starring. Alex Kurtzman and Aaron Baiers executive produce via Secret Hideout. Rod Rodenberry and Trevor Roth of Rodenberry Entertainment also executive produce along with Frank Siracusa and John Weber. CBS Studios will produce. Sweeny, Osunsanmi, and Kurtzman are all currently under overall deals at CBS Studios.

“For years, we’ve been looking forward to Michelle Yeoh one day returning to ‘Star Trek,’” said David Stapf, president of CBS Studios. “Her powerful performance as Captain and Emperor Georgiou was a pivotal moment for the return of the franchise, and her portrayal resonated with fans around the world in a multitude of ways. We couldn’t be prouder to join forces with Michelle once again as we continue to explore the ‘Star Trek’ universe, celebrate its legacy and chart a course for the future of the franchise.”

Section 31 was first introduced in the “Star Trek” series “Deep Space Nine.” The organization has since been featured in the “Star Trek” shows “Enterprise,” “Discovery,” “Lower Decks,” and “Picard,” as well as the film “Into Darkness.”

“We’re thrilled that ‘Star Trek: Section 31’ will be the next title in our ‘Star Trek’ universe,” said Domenic DiMeglio, chief marketing officer and head of data at Paramount Streaming. “Michelle Yeoh is an incomparable talent – she brought Emperor Georgiou to life in such an incredibly fun and nuanced way that the character immediately became a fan favorite. We’re so thrilled to welcome Michelle back to the ‘Star Trek’ and Paramount+ family and can’t wait for fans to see what this special movie event has in store.”

The film is the latest development of the next generation of the revamped “Star Trek” era at Paramount+. The series finale of “Star Trek: Picard” is set to debut on the streamer this week, with the main cast of “Next Generation” reuniting for the show’s third and final season. It was announced in March that a Starfleet Academy show has been ordered to series.

Beyond that, it was announced that both “Star Trek: Strange New Worlds” and “Star Trek: Lower Decks” had been renewed ahead of their new season premieres and that “Star Trek: Discovery” will end with its fifth season in 2024.

Star-Trek-Section-31-with-Michelle-Yeoh (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71162-Star-Trek-Section-31-with-Michelle-Yeoh)

GeneChing
07-30-2023, 01:15 PM
Michelle Yeoh's Oscar makes a cameo at her wedding to long-time fiancé Jean Todt (https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/michelle-yeohs-oscar-makes-a-cameo-at-her-wedding-144137304.html?guccounter=1)

Suzy Byrne·Editor, Yahoo Entertainment
Fri, July 28, 2023, 7:41 AM PDT·3 min read

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/ECgrVWM1t9oBo1HhUw7DUg--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTI0MDA7aD0xNzQw/https://s.yimg.com/os/creatr-uploaded-images/2023-07/d4bceaf0-2d48-11ee-bff1-7b8a52c81d01
Michelle Yeoh's Oscar — for Best Actress in Everything Everywhere All at Once — made a cameo at her wedding. (Photo: Felipe Massa via Instagram)

We're not sure if Michelle Yeoh had something new or something blue at her wedding to Jean Todt in Geneva on Thursday, but she definitely had something gold.

News of the Academy Award-winning actress's wedding to the former Ferrari CEO and International Automobile Federation president — after a 19-year engagement — broke early Friday, courtesy of photos posted on Instagram by guest Felipe Massa. The ex-Ferrari Formula 1 driver wished the couple a "happy marriage" and shared snapshots of the ceremony, program (which noted the couple had a 6,992 day engagement) and reception.

Among the party pix were three different shots in which Yeoh's Oscar for Best Actress in Everything Everywhere All at Once, won earlier this year, made a cameo. Massa held it in one photo with the newlyweds as well as in a solo shot of himself with the bride. In another picture, the couple posed by their cake — and the Oscar was on the table next to the dessert. Pretty impressive wedding decoration, right?

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/okZL0N1txz8UOUzlTsDHcg--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTI0MDA-/https://s.yimg.com/os/creatr-uploaded-images/2023-07/3729dd10-2d53-11ee-bc9e-8f2f29d53697Newlyweds Michelle Yeoh and Jean Todt with Felipe Massa and her Oscar. (Photo: Felipe Massa via Instagram)

It's not like the Oscar had far to travel. It appears Yeoh, 60, and Todt, 77, married at their home in Geneva. So it was easy for the gold guy to be grabbed and brought in as an extra "witness" to the couple's vows.

The couple showed off their 18th-century Geneva mansion to the Financial Times in 2019. In that interview, they talked about meeting at a Ferrari event in June 2004. "We’re like a fairytale," Todt gushed. Yeoh said her favorite thing in their home was ... Todt.

As for why it took so long to get hitched — especially when he proposed weeks after they met nearly two decades ago— a source told Us Weekly in June that they "got engaged very quickly, but when they started planning a wedding, no dates worked because they both were so busy with their careers." They felt "secure" in the relationship and that felt their commitment was enough, but did "to joke with friends that they’re going to elope at any moment."

The Malaysian actress, also known for roles in Crazy Rich Asians, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and the Bond flick Tomorrow Never Dies, won big at the Academy Awards in March. She became the first Asian to win the award — and the first Malaysian to win an Oscar in any category.

Before the Oscar landed in her Switzerland home, it did travel to Malaysia so her mother — who she dedicated the award to — could get her hands on it.

Yeoh had been in production on the film adaptation of Wicked in London. However, filming was halted earlier this month due to the SAG-AFTRA strike. Director Jon M. Chu said they were nearly done making the two-part movie musical in the U.K. when they had to hit pause. A pause that ended up being great to squeeze in a long-awaited wedding.
At least she married a dude named Jean.

GeneChing
10-17-2023, 09:19 AM
Oscar winner Michelle Yeoh elected to be an International Olympic Committee member (https://apnews.com/article/michelle-yeoh-olympics-ioc-bdd927f269a78102b62023371b75f949)
https://dims.apnews.com/dims4/default/f7f7d96/2147483647/strip/true/crop/6848x4563+0+1/resize/980x653!/format/webp/quality/90/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.apnews.com%2F45%2F38%2Fd 06b5c78a36aa765ae48901540ec%2F3586910df67d4405982e 5aec3d82f500
Oscar-winning actress and UNDP Goodwill Ambassador Michelle Yeoh addresses a media conference on road safety at EU headquarters in Brussels, Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2023. (AP Photo/Virginia Mayo)

Updated 6:41 AM PDT, October 17, 2023
MUMBAI, India (AP) — Oscar-winning actor Michelle Yeoh was elected as a member of the International Olympic Committee on Tuesday despite some “no” votes from her new colleagues.

Eight new IOC members were voted in to make a total of 107 drawn from royal families, sports officials, current and former athletes, and leaders from politics and industry.

After being summoned to the lectern by Princess Nora of Liechtenstein, the longest serving IOC member at 39 years, Yeoh read the 104-word oath while holding a corner of the Olympic flag — white with five colored rings.

“I promise to fight against all forms of discrimination and dedicate myself in all circumstances to promote the interests of the International Olympic Committee and Olympic Movement,” Yeoh said to complete the oath.

Like the other new recruits, Yeoh was presented with a golden medallion by IOC president Thomas Bach.

Member duties at annual IOC meetings include approving recommended candidates as future Olympic hosts. In Paris next year, they could also be asked to change Olympic rules to allow Bach to seek a third term as president in 2025 beyond the current 12-year limit.

Yeoh, who has ties to the United Nations representing her home country Malaysia, was elected in a 67-9 vote by secret ballot. Her membership comes in the same year as her Oscar win for best actress in “Everything Everywhere All at Once.”

She also is an international campaigner for road safety in partnership with her husband, Jean Todt, the former head of the Ferrari team in Formula One racing. He also previously served as president of FIA, the governing body of motorsports.

The only unanimous vote Tuesday was the 76-0 result for Cecilia Tait, a three-time Olympian in volleyball and a former congresswoman from Peru. Tait helped Peru win a silver medal at the 1988 Seoul Olympics.

The first Israeli to win an Olympic medal, Yael Arad, also was elected Tuesday, 71-5. Now president of the Israeli Olympic committee, she won silver in judo at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics.

Other new members include Hungarian government sports executive Balázs Fürjes, German sports official Michael Mronz and Tunisian lawyer Mehrez Boussayene.

Two recently elected presidents of governing bodies in Olympic sports also got membership: Petra Sörling of Sweden from table tennis and Kim Jae-youl of South Korea from the International Skating Union.

IOC members are nominally volunteers but can receive $7,000 each year for administrative costs. They are entitled to receive $450 each day they are at meetings, plus on travel days.

2024-Olympics (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68366-2024-Olympics)

GeneChing
11-13-2023, 10:20 AM
Michelle Yeoh named Balenciaga’s newest ambassador (https://nextshark.com/michelle-yeoh-balenciaga-ambassador)
https://nextshark.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/Michelle-Yeoh-Balenciaga.jpg?width=640&auto_optimize=medium
via Harvard Law School
The Malaysian actor's new role has generated mixed responses
Bryan Ke

NOVEMBER 10, 2023

BALENCIAGA HAS OFFICIALLY named film star Michelle Yeoh as its newest brand ambassador.
What’s up: Yeoh, 61, announced her partnership with the Paris-based luxury fashion brand on Instagram Thursday, sharing three pictures.

The 2022 Oscar best actress winner said she is “thrilled” to join Balenciaga as a brand ambassador. In another post, she wrote: “Fashion is a form of art. It’s not just about a dress but about self-expression, how you feel in the dress, and the values you embody wearing it; it is a way to communicate my work and who I am to the world.”

The “Everything Everywhere All At Once” star also noted that it is an “honor” to partner with the brand.

Mixed reactions: Yeoh’s new role generated mixed responses from her fans. One Instagram user wrote, “I love you, but Balenciaga is not the way to go.”
Others brought up past controversies involving the brand. Last year, the company faced backlash for ads that allegedly promoted child exploitation.
“Wow with all the controversies surrounding child exploitation and questionable marketing promos. Very disappointed with Michelle,” one commented.
“Look at the marketing they did with children…please don’t go this route,” another noted.
While many responded negatively to Yeoh’s announcement, some still praised the actor for the photos she posted.
“You look so beautiful, and most of all, and as always, so classy,” one Instagram user wrote.
“Absolutely awesomeness,” another commented.

Bryan Ke
is a Reporter for NextShark So hard to find a clean company nowadays. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I didn't follow the Balenciaga controversy that closely...

GeneChing
01-15-2024, 09:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeSXFDxQEow

Shenzhen-produced-dance-drama-quot-Wing-Chun-quot (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?72612-Shenzhen-produced-dance-drama-quot-Wing-Chun-quot)
Lululemon (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?72677-Lululemon)

GeneChing
01-16-2024, 10:28 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zTePiGE8hw

Shenzhen-produced-dance-drama-quot-Wing-Chun-quot (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?72612-Shenzhen-produced-dance-drama-quot-Wing-Chun-quot)
Lululemon (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?72677-Lululemon)

GeneChing
01-17-2024, 09:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dcaarL326E

Gwyneth-amp-Goop (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69410-Gwyneth-amp-Goop)

GeneChing
03-06-2024, 09:12 AM
Michelle Yeoh 'heartbroken' over cancellation of her drama 'The Brothers Sun' (https://www.thestar.com.my/lifestyle/entertainment/2024/03/06/michelle-yeoh-039heartbroken039-over-cancellation-of-her-drama-039the-brothers-sun039?fbclid=IwAR0zGmzu0pP4OkySPd0i087lLiD1rPfrMZ uaUQ5zPVnptGaInKsjUl7hblw)
By ANNDREA A. WEBBER
ENTERTAINMENT
Wednesday, 06 Mar 2024

2:00 PM MYT
https://apicms.thestar.com.my/uploads/images/2024/03/06/2577962.jpg
Oscar winner Michelle Yeoh has reacted to the news of her series getting axed. Photo: Handout

Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh is “heartbroken” over streaming giant Netflix's decision to axe her action comedy series, The Brothers Sun, after one season.

In an Instagram update today (March 6), the 61-year-old said: “Heartbroken... and finding it so hard to understand why... however, I am so very proud of my Brothers Sun family and what we presented to the world. Heads held high.”

The Oscar winner’s post was accompanied by several photos with her co-stars.

Created by Brad Falchuk and Byron Wu, The Brothers Sun tells the story of Charles Sun (Justin Chien), who must travel to Los Angeles to protect his mother Eileen (Yeoh) and younger brother Bruce (Sam Li) after his father – the head of a Taipei triad – is shot by an assassin.

The eight-episode series received rave reviews upon its premiere on Jan 4, with many critics praising Yeoh for her stellar performance as “Mama” Sun.

While the show spent five weeks in the Netflix Top 10 for English-language series, peaking at No. 2, it reportedly failed to attract a large audience.

According to American entertainment portal Deadline, its number of weekly viewers stayed below seven million and fell under two million for its last two weeks in the Top 10.

Despite its numbers, The Brothers Sun has its own group of devoted followers.

The decision to cancel the series has been met with ire from fans, who have taken to social media to express their disappointment and call for other networks to pick up the project.

Canadian poet and illustrator Rupi Kaur said the news was “disappointing”.

“It was the first show I watched this year because it was so much fun and I fell in love with the characters. It was so well done. Thank you Michelle + cast & crew,” she said.

Another fan added: “As an Asian American, it was amazing to see such a great cast in the Western media. Heartbroken to see it end.”

“I’m genuinely loving the show... hoping another service will pick it up,” said another.

I'm heartbroken too. I really enjoyed this show.

The-Brothers-Sun (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?72524-The-Brothers-Sun)