PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives

mambi
01-30-2007, 03:40 AM
So ! no sympathy for whining! .what are alternatives to " hard styles" other than tai chi? :confused:

Ray Pina
01-30-2007, 07:16 AM
Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu
Judo

Those two are just fun. You'll get stronger, tougher from the inside and learn smooth, applicable technique. If you're competitive, you'll progress fast and ne bruised often.

Ba Gua
Great style if you can find the right instruction. How do you know if it's right? The people who've trained it for over a year with any level of devotion will have a heavy power about them, there skin and eyes will be clear... they will be healthy. They can also fight. Good luck. Lots of people with things to say and demonstrate with this style but I rarely does the way they walk or twist relate to any applicable martial arts. The health and fighting aspects go hand in hand.

Hard styles
I think you'll find that boxing... most any striking sport... is not as "hard" as many would have you believe. No one wants to trade blows. No one wants to hit a hard target with a soft hand. Most of these styles actually have a very refined aproach, theory, strategy for avoiding direct conflict and taking chunks off here and there.

I'd say see what is available at the highest level. If you have a world class boxer near by, study that. If you have world class BJJ, take that. Better than having your heart set on "soft" and joining up at Joe Joe's Internal martial arts, which teaches Tai Chi, cardio kick boxing and "shaolin" at the local strip mall, next to Blockbuster. Go deep. Go down stairs where the water drips from pipes. That's where you find the good stuff.

SPJ
01-30-2007, 07:57 AM
hard styles also have soft components.

mambi
01-31-2007, 03:46 AM
Thanks Ill run this by the OSO also.knows me pretty well about now other input much valued. I neglected 1 important bit of info,Im 55 and in fairly good shape in no small part due to last 5 years in the Ma and 15 as gym rat.never muscle head .Neighbohood I gre up in lived Kid chocolate who was world champ in the 20s. nice guy Ba Gua Ill look into it. avoid Mcdonalds approach, at malls > supprt/ encouragement much appreciate. BJJ at 55 must think about that..

SPJ
01-31-2007, 08:12 AM
at this point of life;

general fitness and health are more important.

each style has different levels of difficulties/requirements or in scales.

Tai Chi has small circles, medium and big ones etc.

Large, slow and circular movements may be a good start. if you have injuries or arthritis then start with small then graduately medium etc.

Ba Gua is good to walk with fixed postures and turning waist and steps.

you may walk in a 36 steps circle instead of 8 or just randomly, big S or N etc.

do them slowly and breathe naturely.

over time then increase the difficulties a bit at a time.

--

some type of physical activites with low amplitude.

--

alternative would be to swim or slow walk etc.

--

:D

SPJ
02-02-2007, 06:00 PM
I designed a few sets of practicing Ba Gua basic palms with Tai Chi flavor.

I only showed them once in a local Chinese church. It was an instant love for people there.

I will try to post them over the weekend.

:)

SPJ
02-02-2007, 07:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZPBAWSMR04&mode=related&search=

a cool clip.

SPJ
02-03-2007, 08:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikohIr5B1oY&mode=related&search=

another cool clip.

there is a kid's little car ride in the back.

--

SPJ
02-04-2007, 11:54 AM
for people who are interested;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt9Sp6CWU0w

practice sets of Ba Gua basic palms with Tai Chi flavor and breathing exercise (Qi gong).

closing palm, uplifting palm, hitting palm, pulling hand, downward pressing palm etc etc.

usually do it at slower speed.

due to file size to upload, I sped up.

:D

kidswarrior
02-05-2007, 06:57 AM
So ! no sympathy for whining! .what are alternatives to " hard styles" other than tai chi? :confused:

I'm 55 too, so I gotcha'. Another alternative that you might try is to find an art/teacher you like which might be considered 'hard', but practice slowly. Speed and hard applications will come with time if you need them (real confrontation), but in meantime, you're not tearing up your joints, etc. This can be a little humilitiating, since you may have to opt out of some class activities, even stand in the back. But a good teacher/studio/classmates will understand and be supportive (I never found such a place, but you could/might).

Ben Gash
02-05-2007, 07:04 AM
Well, there's the "soft" styles :rolleyes:
Bagua, Xingyi, Liuhebafa, Wuji, Taiyi. Also don't forget that Taiji is a fairly diverse group of systems, so there's Taiji and there's Taiji.

mambi
02-05-2007, 08:09 PM
kidswarrior_ you got it! a hard style slow.Thats what Im looking for. It is hard to do around youngsters, ego and all that I been lucky in that thats been hat ive been encouraged to do and its on me to reach when and where I can . Asheville M.A and S Melton is very good about that. How the aspects of MA affect you as you age is a wander that, at least for me , sound cliched and petty , when trying to explain them. I know enough forms to practice o n my own if need be.. good thought and insight on you part.