PDA

View Full Version : Tai Chi Fighting Question

Daredevil
09-26-2001, 10:48 PM
I seem to be full of Tai Chi related questions, don't I? Oh well.

The fighting strategy in Tai Chi seems to be to stick to what comes and via that "throw the enemy" out. What I'm curious about is applying that sticking succesfully. (I've practised only very little push hands ..)

I can see you sticking into big, committed attacks, like lunging punches and deep kicks, but what I perceive as a lot more difficult is sticking to say, a boxer's approach?

Quick punches, jabs, hooks, etc, that don't give you a lot to stick to, or that at least are retrieved with decent speed. If you just "snap" a solid punch at a Tai Chi Quan player, how am I going perceive the energy (before it's just gone) there to stick to it?

Thanks!

Water Dragon
09-26-2001, 11:00 PM
Don't confuse learning theory with fighting theory. Tai chi can be extremely aggresive. In fighting, you are responding to intent (beginning of action) rather than the action itself. i.e. Don't wait.

You may take my life, but you will never take my Freedom

Braden
09-26-2001, 11:08 PM
There are a very wide variety of strategies in taiji.

Don't play the other persons game.

If you try to box a boxer, you will lose. I believe taiji works best up-close and personal. Move in on the boxer, crowd him, keep contact at all time. Keep him off balance at all times. He will shift his hips and shoulders to strike, yield your body circularly when he presses against you with this movement, so he presses into emptiness, and you further lead him into emptiness with your other side. Add in a dose of smacking him really hard at every opportunity.

Shooter
09-26-2001, 11:38 PM
Good advice from Water Dragon - Read the intention and hit first.

How you hit, and what you hit with depends on your range management (Following) and sensitivity (Listening). As Braden wrote, getting close is one method of controlling without countering. Angle of entry and controlling the opponent's elbows are also important if all they're trying to do is punch. That's rarely the case though. Again, hit first. Also, at that range, his commital will allow for throws-in-the-flow. Pushing, Bumping, Elbows, and counter-striking are flow tactics of attack combined with defensive maneuvering as alluded to in Braden's post.

The only problem is in knowing what you're looking at. Insofar as boxers/kickboxers go, it's a good idea to train with them at their game. Staying within the context of their training will free up your own ideas and give you some good insights.

Wongsifu
09-27-2001, 01:36 AM
my 2 cents is that when you stick with any martial art wether its tai ji or wing chun, you stick with the whole body, if a boxer throws a jab and you stick to the hand that threw the jab, one waist rotation later, he will have kbnocked you out whilst you are stuck to his jab, you must position your self correctly with the whole body to be able to stick effectively.... maneuvre yourself around him in such a way tat he has to make an efferot to move around so as not to get closed in

I wongsifu shall strike fear into the hearts of trolls and mma guys who **** me off on these forums oh and in real life.

EARTH DRAGON
09-27-2001, 01:38 AM
most boxers are trained to fight direcly in front of them , so their footwork is back and forth, try to move diagonally and you will throw off most fighters and stlyes. remember fighting is a science and their is more than one way to draw a line between point A and point B

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

taijiquan_student
09-27-2001, 02:14 AM
On the subject of a boxer's jab, my teacher was demonstrating to us roll-back, specifically capturing the other person's center. We were mainly feeding our partners long lunge-type punches, but my teacher got one of us to jab, and he could still roll-back and stick, capture the center, and return it. So, even though it's harder you can still stick to quick jabs.
--T.S.

Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi.

gazza99
09-27-2001, 03:29 AM
Ive also been taught "sticking to and not letting go" This can be taken many ways, but for a quick jab sometimes its very effective to just bump it out of the way quickly as you attack, then you can worry about taking his center.This can be considered sticking to and not letting go as you keep the pressure on your opponent. Often times people try and stick with one principle of fighting, and not ever going beyond. There are many ways to use taijiquan, and many different ways one principle can be used, its difficult to have this conversation online, as its better felt and done, than written.
Gary

"Of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong"-Dennis Miller
www.pressurepointfighting.com (http://www.pressurepointfighting.com)

taijiquan_student
09-27-2001, 03:45 AM
Very true.

"Dui fang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."