PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever have patellar tendonitis?

xcakid
02-01-2007, 12:12 PM
After not training for 12yrs. I am finally back at it again. Unfortunately a week back I suffered a set back. After doing some jump kicking drills, my knee started bothering me that day after. Continued on the second and experienced a little bit more pain and swelling. So I went to the dr. and was diagnosed with patellar tendonitis on both knees. Dr. told me to go get a brace. Gave some Ibuprofren and told me to lay off doing anything "athletic" for at least 3wks after the swelling subsides. Its going on 2wks now, and I still have mild swelling. I am still going to class and going through the motions at the back of the class.

I was wondering if anyone here have experienced this. If so, what did you do to speed up healing time? Do you still suffer from time to time with swelling and not being able to train?

Thanks.

GKT
02-01-2007, 01:31 PM
I have experienced numerous sports injuries over the years. The best advice to a speedy recovery (even though it is hard to do) is to take a break from all activities and just rest until you are 100%

Take care

Chief Fox
02-01-2007, 01:43 PM
I had it in my left knee. I feel for you man because it sucks but you can get through it.

I saw a docotr and I was told that it was a result of tight quad muscles. The muslce is too tight so it puts a lot of pressure on the tendon. Makes sense. I ended up going to physicla therapy for it for about 6 weeks or so. If this is an option for you, I recommend it.

If physical therapy isn't an option then keep these two things in mind. Stretch and Strengthen.

A typical Physical therapy session went like this.

Warm up on stationary bike for about 10 minutes.

Different leg strengthening exercises. Wall sits and leg press.

Balance on wobble board while throwing a ball at a trampoline.

Stretch.

After each session I would put ice on my knee and take some ibuprofin.

I did this twice a week for about 6 weeks.

During this time I stopped going to kung fu class. After the 6 weeks I slowly went back. 1 class a week, 2 classes a week and then up to 3 classes a week.

Here's what I did to stretch out my quads.

1. I layed face down on my bed. The leg I was going to stretch was on the bed, the other leg was on the floor.

2. With your one foot flat on the floor reach back and grab the ankle of the other leg. The idea is to touch your butt with the heel of that foot. At first you may need some help with this. FYI, this is painful but it has to be done!

3. To increase the stretch, slide the foot on the floor forward or up towards your head.

Hopefully this info helps.

Good luck.

xcakid
02-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Thx Chief Fox!!

My Dr. said that it was odd that I had it on both knees at the same time. Pretty much the same diagnosis as yours though.

With regards to physical therapy, I am doing something similar. Including the icing and ibuprofren after each work out.

Man 6wks!!!! That is murder. As I said I am doing some light workout in the back of the class right now about 2X a week. Basically going through the motions. Not really doing stances properly and not going high or full extensions on kicks. I don't feel any pain afterwards, dunno if that means anything or not.

I'll cut down to once a week for the next week or so.

It totally bites getting old and out of shape :(

BTW, are you wearing a patellar brace? My Dr. said I may have to wear it working out from now till the end of time.

Chief Fox
02-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Thx Chief Fox!!

It totally bites getting old and out of shape :(

BTW, are you wearing a patellar brace? My Dr. said I may have to wear it working out from now till the end of time.
You're welcome. I hope the info comes in handy.

It does bite getting older. I'm 38 but I've recently come through some tough injuries and am feeling pretty good. From here on out it's going to be all about avoiding injury.

I was wearing a patellar brace for a while but now I no longer need it.

In my opinion the best exercise for your legs, knees, whatever is squats.

Once you're feeling pretty good start doing squats at least once a week and keep stretching. Your legs will be bullet proof in no time. Add some deadlifts in there and you'll be doing even better.

xcakid
02-02-2007, 01:06 PM
You're welcome. I hope the info comes in handy.

It does bite getting older. I'm 38 but I've recently come through some tough injuries and am feeling pretty good. From here on out it's going to be all about avoiding injury.

I was wearing a patellar brace for a while but now I no longer need it.

In my opinion the best exercise for your legs, knees, whatever is squats.

Once you're feeling pretty good start doing squats at least once a week and keep stretching. Your legs will be bullet proof in no time. Add some deadlifts in there and you'll be doing even better.

LOL, I am 38 too. Turning 39 this Aug. Funny thing is I remeber all of my injuries in the past came after I got to higher ranks.

Luckily once I get past this, I think if I continue on with my Shaolin Long Fist training which involves really low stance to high kicks, I should be able to developed my leg muscles. I'll work on squates and lunges though.

Thanks again

xcakid
02-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Well 5wks into it. I am about 90%. Jumping still give me pain. Sucks cause one of the form has a 180 degree jump. So can't really practice that. Swelling went down after 2wks.

I basically went to class 2X a week. Lifted weight 3x a week. Which included squats and lunges every time I go to the gym and did 10Min stationary bike at a 7 resistance. Now doing it at around 10. I was icing the knee about 2X a day. After work out and before bed for about 20mins ea session. Right now I am only icing it after workouts.

Now I am able to squat my body weight(200lbs), do lunges with 40lbs weight. Also added leg curls and leg extensions @ around 60-70lbs this week. Able to do my stances now with minor discomfort when doing and holding a twist stance, so I am taking it easy on that one. My kicks are still about 60% power otherwise I expereince pain.

Still wearing a leg brace when I workout. Right knee still crack every now and agian.

Overall pretty happy with my recovery. Thanks to chief fox for all the hints. Saved me $150 a week in physical therapy. :cool:

monkeyfoot
02-20-2007, 11:28 AM
gee i just posted a thread almost exactly the same as this.

I am in the same situation but my situation is a partially torn medial ligament. It sucks because I know the only way to properly heal is to immobolise the knee for 6 weeks.

:( 6 WEEKS! :(

craig

Chief Fox
02-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Well 5wks into it. I am about 90%. Jumping still give me pain. Sucks cause one of the form has a 180 degree jump. So can't really practice that. Swelling went down after 2wks.

I basically went to class 2X a week. Lifted weight 3x a week. Which included squats and lunges every time I go to the gym and did 10Min stationary bike at a 7 resistance. Now doing it at around 10. I was icing the knee about 2X a day. After work out and before bed for about 20mins ea session. Right now I am only icing it after workouts.

Now I am able to squat my body weight(200lbs), do lunges with 40lbs weight. Also added leg curls and leg extensions @ around 60-70lbs this week. Able to do my stances now with minor discomfort when doing and holding a twist stance, so I am taking it easy on that one. My kicks are still about 60% power otherwise I expereince pain.

Still wearing a leg brace when I workout. Right knee still crack every now and agian.

Overall pretty happy with my recovery. Thanks to chief fox for all the hints. Saved me $150 a week in physical therapy. :cool:
Hey man, I'm glad you're doing so well and I'm glad I could help. I struggled with my knee for several months before getting help. Once I started doing the right thing, I could feel improvement almost on a daily basis. Us "old" guys need to stick together.
Good luck.

Chief Fox
02-21-2007, 08:37 AM

I am in the same situation but my situation is a partially torn medial ligament. It sucks because I know the only way to properly heal is to immobolise the knee for 6 weeks.

craig

Dang dude, a partially torn ligament. That sucks. Do those things heal on their own or is that something you need to have repaired?

The only advice I can offer is, 6 weeks of immobilization is nothing compared to surgery to repair a torn ligament. Also, many people say that their leg has never been the same after surgery.

So consider the immobilization and get some physical therapy too. You could be completely back to normal by summer.

Good luck.

MasterKiller
02-21-2007, 09:32 AM

craig

Except you are self-diagnosed, right? I think I would go see an orthopedic surgeon just to be sure. How did you come to the conclusion you have a partial tear?

xcakid
03-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Well just an update. I believe I am 100% now. Can run sprints and change direction with no pain. Jumping no pain. Stances no pain.

Recoup time a little under 10wks. Did not miss that much KF training. Just basically took it easy, 2X a week at 1/4 speed training, for the first 4wks of the injury.

I hope I don't get this again. I will be wearing a brace till the end of March when training. Will also continue working out my legs at the gym. Lunges, squats, etc.