PDA

View Full Version : Mantis, Internal or External?

Aeturnal
02-02-2007, 10:57 PM
im trying to understand some of the different mantis styles as i might decide to take it up, but im trying to figure out if its internal or external or both.....ive heard of taiji mantis but im not really sure of its implications. there seem to be a dozen different styles of mantis out there and so im not too sure what to make of it. any opinions? :)

NJM
02-02-2007, 11:29 PM
It is both.

Oso
02-03-2007, 07:30 AM
lol. short and sweet there, njm.

all martial arts is both, Aeturnal. I don't really count your run of the mill TKD or Krotty school as martial arts anymore but good, traditional karate will have it's internal aspects.

i've long thought that too much attention was paid to the difference between 'internal' and 'external'.

Northern Mantis under the right teacher will have plenty of both for you.

where are you located?

Yao Sing
02-03-2007, 07:54 AM
Are you familiar with the idea that the original intent of Internal MA and External MA was Ours (Internal) vs Theirs (External)? So External arts would be arts outside of the area (I believe it was a region in China).

I read that either here or on MQ but don't remember (Jake maybe?) who posted it. Maybe they'll speak up because I think it makes a lot of sense. No art is strictly Internal or External by our current definition.

NJM
02-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Aeturnal.

Ooh, I like this word!

Oso
02-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Ooh, I like this word!

um, it's the dude's handle.

but, yea, kinda funny/coincidental.

Mantis108 could expound upon the 'tai chi' in tai chi praying mantis but i've never studied any martial art that didn't have the same concepts as tai chi.

but then again, i don't get the big whoop over 'tai chi' as some holy grail of internal discipline. i think i may have to switch my usual 'ninjas suck' to 'tai chi sucks' :D

hmmm...how badly would I get swarmed if I just posted that on the internal arts forum???? :p

mantis108
02-03-2007, 12:53 PM
im trying to understand some of the different mantis styles as i might decide to take it up, but im trying to figure out if its internal or external or both.....ive heard of taiji mantis but im not really sure of its implications. there seem to be a dozen different styles of mantis out there and so im not too sure what to make of it. any opinions? :)

Welcome to the board. The style of mantis really doesn't matter because "Tanglang Jiu Shi Tanglang" (mantis is mantis) ultimately. More importantly, it is not about conforming to the style; rather it is about the individual gaining insights through the training that the style offers. People took the system of mantis and developed insights through it, then they establish their own style of mantis. There are 4 major branches of mantis today (Meihwa, Taiji, Qixing, and Liuhe). Each have its own corpus. Then each branch in turn has its own hybrid styles (8 Steps, Mimen, Changquan, Wah Lum, CCK TCPM, etc). Mantis as a system is flexible and empowering enough to inspire individual growth. That, my friend, is the essence of true Kung Fu.

As for internal or external nature of mantis, it is no doubt both as pointed out by others before. The distiction is also mostly political rather than technical in nature IMHO. As long as you are using your physcial body to fight, it is both internal and external harmonized as one - period. The minute some one starts telling you this is internal style and that is external style, you can be sure that such person doesn't get Kung Fu at all and he's BSing you with bogus theories and psuedo-philosophies. Incidentally, those people (ie form performers) generally have never been involved in a real self defense or real fight situation in their life and don't even understand or appreciate the value of sparring with a resistive partner. So please beware of the quality of instruction you are about to receive from your teacher mantis or otherwise.

Regards

Mantis108

Oso
02-03-2007, 02:10 PM
well said

{hoists beer in the general direction of Yellowknife}

:D

Aeturnal
02-03-2007, 02:10 PM
im actually in nyc i plan to check out master su yu changs class in the future......im intrigued with internal vs. external question because i always thought the internal element would better handle the "big guy vs. little guy " question......it seems like tai chi which is internal, doesnt seem to be able to stand as a fighting style on its own, but i mean i could be wrong i just havent seen it in action. im assuming tai chi mantis would be something along the lines of bringing the 2 together? correct me if im wrong. thanks for all the responses guys!

mantis108
02-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi Oso,

Chin, Chin. :D

{hoists burbon towards Nashville instead} ;)

im actually in nyc i plan to check out master su yu changs class in the future......im intrigued with internal vs. external question because i always thought the internal element would better handle the "big guy vs. little guy " question......it seems like tai chi which is internal, doesnt seem to be able to stand as a fighting style on its own, but i mean i could be wrong i just havent seen it in action. im assuming tai chi mantis would be something along the lines of bringing the 2 together? correct me if im wrong. thanks for all the responses guys!

I understand where you are coming from.

First off, Kung Fu in action is about details. It is safe to say that Kung Fu regardless of styles are developed with the weaker constituation in mind which often translated into a physically, mentally or emotionally weaker being. The goal of Kung Fu training is to transform the weak into the strong. It is this amazing transformation that we called Kung Fu. Proper attitude and proper training protocol is key. The so-called big 3 internal styles (Xingyi, Bagua, and Taiji) could all be linked to other so-called external styles roots (Xingyi & Bagua - Fanziquan and Taiji - Tongbi, etc) if we dig deep enough into their evolutions. So there is really no such a thing as internal is better or worst provide the training is realistic and pratical in nature. Now, in modern times these so called internal styles and other traditional style have bought into the one strike one kill mindset so much so that they pay little to no attention to cardio vascular training and strength training at all. To them, body mechanics and non aerobic (not to confuse with anaerobics) musculature movements trump everything else. This in part is done to delimit the practice of Kung Fu for the non athletic inclined people to broaden the demographic. But also it is done because of the gross misconception of traditional thoughts and worldview namely the Yijing (classic of change).

The Greater Meihwa Line of Praying Mantis (Meihwa, Taiji, Taiji Meihwa) as we know it all came from the same source namely Liang Xuexiang (1810-?). These styles are named based on an entry (profile of praying mantis) in the manuscripts of Liang, which shows some degrees of proficiency of applying the Yijing concepts in constructing a pugilistic system; thus, understanding the Yijing would help gaining insights into the Tanglang of Liang Xuexiang IMHO. BTW, the original designation of Taiji in the Taiji Tanglang refers to the Taiji hands (the dynamic nature of the mantis hook hands) that employ archtypical attributes of Yinyang, Gangrou, and Xushi. This has nothing to do with Taijiquan the style found in Chen Jia Gou, Henan. Later on we also see that the corpus of Taiji Tanglang in general is different from Meihwa (plum blossom) in that ground fighting forms are found in the Taiji Tanglang (both in Jiang Hualong-Song Zide line and Sun Yuanchang line) while White apes series is found mainly in the Meihwa Tanglang.

In the CCK TCPM, we do have Taijiquan and other Taiji forms in our curriculum but that's a different story. I will leave that for now.

Warm regards

Mantis108

Oso
02-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Hi Oso,

Chin, Chin. :D

{hoists burbon towards Nashville instead} ;)

LOL.

my arms don't reach that far

yu shan is in Nashville

I'm in Asheville ;)

:)

Aeturnal
02-03-2007, 10:45 PM
i guess im trying to understand more how an internal and external style differ then.....why just not bother doing something like muay thai or kyokushin if there really is no difference? im not saying one should do that, im just trying to understand what the real difference is :)

Oso
02-03-2007, 11:12 PM
the point is that there isn't really any difference.

'do watcha like'

(and I'll buy a beer for the first person who can tell me the musical group that line is from)

don't worry about any presupposed differences between 'internal' and 'external'

muay thai has lots of tradition and rituals that could be regarded as what you are thinking 'internal' is.

not sure about kyokushin as I've only fought one kyokushin fighter :cool: :p

from what I know of Master Su, you'll get good mantis training. heh, we would be brothers in a sense as we would both be training in lines of mantis deriving from Zhang De Kuei. so, for what it's worth, you'd be part of a pretty huge family of mantis peeps.

find a good teacher, the rest will follow.

dayum, i'm being corny as hell tonight.

Aeturnal
02-03-2007, 11:24 PM

'do watcha like'

(and I'll buy a beer for the first person who can tell me the musical group that line is from)

don't worry about any presupposed differences between 'internal' and 'external'

muay thai has lots of tradition and rituals that could be regarded as what you are thinking 'internal' is.

not sure about kyokushin as I've only fought one kyokushin fighter :cool: :p

from what I know of Master Su, you'll get good mantis training. heh, we would be brothers in a sense as we would both be training in lines of mantis deriving from Zhang De Kuei. so, for what it's worth, you'd be part of a pretty huge family of mantis peeps.

find a good teacher, the rest will follow.

dayum, i'm being corny as hell tonight.

cool, well i appreciate the encouragement, im still just trying to understand what the difference is btwn the 2....i mean it seems like there would be a huge difference btwn them ehh?" i dunno

Three Harmonies
02-04-2007, 12:19 AM
Styles are different expressions of the same energies. :)
Heed Oso's advice about a good teacher. I would train with the best teacher regardless of what he taught, EVEN TKD!! :D

Michael Dasargo
02-04-2007, 01:00 AM

'do watcha like'

Digital Underground (Make that a red stripe ;) )

Aeturnal

Internal is commonly associated with soft, passive-aggressive movements.

External is commonly associated with brute, assertive-aggressive type movements.

However, an External emphasis also refers to how something looks, while an Internal emphasis also refers to how something feels and functions.

What your thinking of as Nei Jia (Tai Chi, Xingyi, Bagua etc) are systems that are predominately composed of passive-aggressive training methods giving a soft and gentle look to the practice. However, the person playing it may only understand the look of the movements (an external expression), rather than the feel and function (an internal expression).

Likewise, a Muay Thai fighter may emphasize a passive-aggressive defense and focus on spiraling the spine to produce power, thus making such an expression of Muay Thai " soft" and "internal" in principle.

Internal and External is a matter of principle emphasis, and is not exclusive to individual systems.

Tai Chi, Xingyi, and Bagua fighters that I know do heavy bag and focus mitt work, while karate guys I know practice slow to refine the kinetics of individual techniques.

Mantis is balanced. The internal and external emphasis is matter of how you wish to train.

Hope it helps,
M.Dasargo

bungbukuen
02-04-2007, 05:20 AM
Sorry Michael. I thought your explanation was confusing. Of course if I misread your post my apologies.

1) Mantis including most Chinese combat systems are both external and internal. I know you said this too.

2) Internal refers to internal energy training or qigong training. Mostly for health purposes. External refers to all other training which of course is fighting training. Any combat system that only trains qigong is not a combat system. It is a health system. By default all combat systems are external and as I mentioned most Chinese combat systems include internal qigong training as well.

3) On a side note, qigong training can also be divided into external and internal but that is a separate thing.

4) When talking about techniques most people end up confusing the words external and internal with the intended meaning direct (hard) and indirect (soft). But internal and external has nothing to do with techniques as I mentioned in point two. When talking about attacking methods we can talk about them in terms of direct or indirect.

5) Talking about fighting methods as passive or aggressive is confusing and gives the wrong impression. All attacking methods are aggressive. Even indiret meothods. There is nothing passive about intending to punch someone in the face, kick them in the knackers, or throw them to the ground. It is just a question of how you get there.

6) Traditional systems like Tai Ji, Baji and Xing Yi are both external and internal (fight training and qigong training). They use both direct and indirect techniques. Traditional training is neither soft nor gentle looking. It is tough and rough. Of course many Taji schools these days could not be considered combative as they only do forms and focus on the health aspects.

Just few thoughts.

BBK

mantis108
02-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Oops... I swear it's the burbon, man, it's the burbon. :o

But then again I could easily get lost in America (shame on me being from the land of the Thirsty Traveller). :eek: So Asheville, eh?

Warm regards

Robert

Oso
02-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Michael: give my your address. Although, I'm not going to send you a Red Stripe. I've got to do better than that. Every had a Barleywine style ale or a Scottish Wee Heavy ?

Robert

#1 it's Bourbon. ;)

AVL:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=US&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&addtohistory=&cat=&address=&city=Asheville&state=NC&zipcode=28805

;)

mantis108
02-04-2007, 07:09 PM
Michael: give my your address. Although, I'm not going to send you a Red Stripe. I've got to do better than that. Every had a Barleywine style ale or a Scottish Wee Heavy ?

Robert

#1 it's Bourbon. ;)

AVL:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=US&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&addtohistory=&cat=&address=&city=Asheville&state=NC&zipcode=28805

;)

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the direction and the spelling lesson. So I am going to share with you what my good friend Mantid1 had shared with me his ultimate internal+external style's secret training tape (for free)!

This is top secret stuff, you understand so .... hush.... ;)

Ultimate Secret Style Training of All Time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPyxstgk8oM&mode=related&search)

Now, remember this stuff is too deadly for the street so once you learned this you must - forgeta bout it!

Yo, teachers leave the kids alone (what music group is that?)

Warm regards

Robert

Oso
02-04-2007, 09:08 PM
WHAT????? you mean you don't believe in the Force?

tsk, tsk...Canadians...I guess I shouldn't expect any more....

;) :p :D

and, it's Pink Floyd.

but, it seems the young jedi is not satisfied with our answers....

Oso
02-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Styles are different expressions of the same energies. :)

Heed Oso's advice about a good teacher. I would train with the best teacher regardless of what he taught, EVEN TKD!! :D

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, please....not TKD!!!!

actually, somewhere around here, i have a yellow belt i got from a guy that in retrospect, was a good TKD teacher...though that was long ago, in a universe far, far away.

RandyBrown
02-06-2007, 01:09 AM
My personal view on Internal/External is that every style starts out being external and evolves to internal. When moves are first studied and practiced they are usually unbalanced, uncoordinated, and performed with tension and resistance (in the muscles/tendons) from not being accustomed to moving in such a fashion. As time goes on and you do the move over and over and over again you develop the proper conditioning and you become more efficient with your moves. If you fight, you MUST do this or you become tired after 1 or 2 minutes of continuous fighting and you can't 'stay alive'.

Example: When first learning to punch, students usually have stiff shoulders, bad posture, try to add too much power (creating resistance), and lack any type of waist movement. As time passes and they've thrown the same punch thousands of times they begin to relax the shoulders, they realize they tire quickly with trying to tighten the arm muscles, and begin to incorporate the waist for more power. Eventually they learn to develop power with the entire body behind a strike creating even more power.

When I began Taijiquan and Xingyiquan I kept hearing - "internal, internal, the moves are supposed to be internal". No matter how slow or soft you perform a style it takes repetition of movement and more repetition of movement, to build strength, conditioning, and become relaxed enough to internalize it. A Taijiquan practioner that only does forms can call 'Peng' all they want in the front arm, but if they never train any type of resistance then the tendons will not be strong enough to deflect or ward off anything but a tuna sandwich. External leads to Internal, no matter the style. That's my thinking.

hokfumantis
02-06-2007, 01:25 PM
I have been taught that 7-Star Mantis is perhaps the most rigid of all Northern Mantis styles. Yet it is classified as an internal style because of how the Chi should flow. What most internal styles have in common is how thier Chi Gung is practiced. Usually, the muscles of the upper extremities are relaxed throughout thier movements during the exercise; thereby training the energy to flow internally independent from muscular exertion. In some internal styles like 7-Star Mantis, the energy is released at the final release of air in the lungs (at the end of the exhale), which creates a short subtle snap before the arms are completely extended. Whereas in most external styles, the Chi Gung is practiced with their muscles in the upper extemities slightly or completely tensed; training the energy to travel within the muscles, (anatomically an external channel). Both internal and external styles have "rigid and soft" attacks. However, these types of attacks has nothing to do with what makes an internal or external style. In simple terms, its how the Chi is cultivated and used within the style, which classifies whether it is external or internal. I hope this helped!

Three Harmonies
02-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Qi should flow naturally guys or you have a little problem called DEATH. All living things have qi. It has nothing to do with martial arts other than the living thing.

Baqualin
02-06-2007, 02:49 PM
In simple terms, its how the Chi is cultivated and used within the style, which classifies whether it is external or internal. I hope this helped!

This is the most accurate statement yet. I never seen anything soft about a good Hsingi or Baqua fighter.

Baqualin
02-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Qi should flow naturally guys or you have a little problem called DEATH. All living things have qi. It has nothing to do with martial arts other than the living thing.

:confused:

Oso
02-06-2007, 03:48 PM

yea!

qi happens.

Oso
02-06-2007, 03:51 PM
the number one thing killing chinese martial arts in america is the shroud of mystery and hoopajoo that people want to surround it with.

Aeturnal, i hope you have a good experience if you try out Master Su's classes. I think you'll find some good kung fu. Let the question of 'internal vs. external' go for now. If you stick with it long enough, have an open mind yet aren't a sucker...you'll find out for yourself.

TaichiMantis
02-06-2007, 04:09 PM
My personal view on Internal/External is that every style starts out being external and evolves to internal. External leads to Internal, no matter the style. That's my thinking.

I think you come closest to the heart of the matter. My sifu says much the same thing. The potential is there, however, many people, even black belts never truly "get" the internal side of things. Internal is the deeper understanding of movement and biomechanics, as "known" by your own mind/body connection. Some people can never make that connection, either through injury, stress, mental blocks etc....

Of course some styles have forms, excercises, whatever that help you make that mind/body connection more easily...Some people, no matter what the style are able to make that connection more intuitively.

mantis108
02-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Here's a post that I find quite interesting with regard to the internal Vs extrnal differences:

External Jing
External Jing is where the Jing is derived from the three external elements of musculature (jin), bones (gu) and skin (pi). This kind of jing is delivered through the exertion of the muscles, hardness of the bones and the toughness of the skin. It relies on hard physical impact and physical exertion to bring its effects to bear.

Internal Jing
Internal Jing is where Jing is derived from the three internal elements of essence (jing), vital energy (qi), and spirit (shen). This kind of jing is effected through the strengthening of the essence to provide the generation of qi which nourishes both the musculature, bones, organs and the mind which is the seat of the spirit.
The body's essence (jing) is built up to ensure a plenteous supply, this is transformed into qi which nourishes and provides the vitality to the musculature, bones, organs and also the mind.

Qi in traditional Chinese medicinal theory is the basis of life in the body and its presence and relative volume determines the health and vitality of the body. Qi itself is directed by the Mind/Spirit which is itself dependent on qi for its mental capability.

The Spirit is an expression of the thought, knowledge, feelings and intent (mental focus) of the mind. A strong spirit makes for clear thought, enhanced perception, better intent (Yi) which are assets to all situations, including martial ones. Intent brings about the physiological changes which opens the blood and qi flow along the path and at the point of focus. Hence the theory the mind leads and the blood and qi follows.

With increase circulation and qi flow, the musculature attains better tonus which results in the 'filled' feeling that is experienced by those who do some form of internal work (nei gong). It is this increased tonus and tenacity that serves as the origin of Internal Jing. It gives Internal Jing its 'propelled' and 'hydraulic' characteristics. This increase qi flow is directed by the mind which results in the creation of Internal Jing. The musculature remains relaxed with no undue tension.
Internal Jing transfers the strength smoothly into the opponent, not relying on hard impact to damage. This transfer of energy/force into the opponent's body and structure can cause injuries that are not obvious externally.
http://www.itcca.it/peterlim/neijing.htm

this definition works well in my own work and is one that I follow.
for me they really are very different and very distinct. I dont belive one can train in both or that one becomes the other as is commonly thought others might find differnt.

the differences are due to level of the person, with people at the higher end of the scale having very clear and differnt skill sets. the problem for many not being able to tell the differences is because they have not been exposed to the higher levels otherwise it would be pretty clear there would be no questions about it.

The main difference in leaning something like taiji for example is that first one must insure that one really has a solid grasp of what is meant by inner skill sets if as in taiji the art depends on these for its operation.

This alone is quite hard to do which makes learning very different then the other arts based on developing a more physical based approach making them a little more easer to understand and develop.

I do not ascribe to the theory that at some point what is called external develops into internal work nor do I feel that those that practice internal arts need to do the same conditioning as those that do not. Different approaches requiring different practices. each way quite hard to if one is really developing usable true skill.

Before I further address this in my next post I would like to share some thoughts about my understanding of Chinese pugilistic anatomy first.

When it comes to the earthly physical body, it's Gang (rigidity - fire) and Rou (fluidity - water) not Ying Yang used in the case of celestial bodies such as Sun, Moon, and Stars. I don't think someone in this day and age will tell me that human body has nothing to do with carbohydrate (fire and water). The Yin Yang attribute (not Qi) in the physical body is Yang Qi (vital energy) and Yin Xue (blood). From the perspective of blood, this relationship is like master/teacher/commander and slave/student/troop. From the perspective of Qi, the relationship is like mother and son (Muzi). These relationships are there every single second that one is alive. BTW this I believe is what Jake alluded to. Unless you don't own a physical body, then you don't need to worry about Yin Yang Gang Rou. Now if you do have a physical body and you are about to do a physical activity, then all these "internal" stuff are of importance IMHO.

When it comes to the physical body from Chinese martial arts rather then a medical perspective, it is about the attributes of Gang Rou. In Chinese worldview, a human body consists of 8 Gang and 12 Rou which reflects the number (20) representing Liang Yi (two archetypes - yinyang) which is commonly and erroneously known as Taiji. The 8 odd vessels of the body correspond to the 8 Gang and the 12 paired meridians correspond to the 12 Rou. The 12 meridians (6 yang and 6 yin) are connected to Wu Cang (5 yin organs) and Liu Fu (6 yang organs) where the Qi Xue constantly flows through with a timed schedule. Similar to plants and animals behavioral responses to the changes of the seasons of the year, the meridian becomes "active" during the 12 Shi (a period of 2 hours) of the day alternately. For example the Gull bladder meridian will be most active during 11 p.m. to 1 a.m.; while Heart meridian will be most active during 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. This BTW is where the centerline theory came from IMHO. When the meridians and organs are functioning properly, they will produce surplus Qi which will flow into and "store" in the Ren and Du vessels and when the meridians and organs are deficient, the Qi from the Ren Du vessels will be returning to the system to compensate the deficiency. For martial arts and spiritual meditation practice, it is the Qi that is in the Ren and Du vessels that matters. That's Qi flow for martial arts in a nutshell. Now this is the reason that 8 rigids and 12 fluids as a theory is so important in Mantis and my believe that mantis literally is as internal as if not more so than any other MA claims.

Mantis108

lapu_squared
02-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Sometimes when people say "internal" they refer to strictly mental practice, such as qigong. Other times, people mean "physical internal" which refers more to training the mind to coordinate the body in a way that's more efficient. Generally, when I use the word "internal" I'm talking about "physical internal." The benefits of the efficiency of physical internal training generally include both greater power/effectiveness and reduced energy spent.

Internal principles can be applied to any style. However, the people practicing or creating a particular style may place a higher or lower value on cultivating internal principles. This is why some styles are said to be "internal" and others "external." It's not that the styles themselves are more internal. "Internal styles" are just made and practiced by people who want to focus their practice more on internal principles. Ultimately though, all internal principles can be applied to any style.

Given that any style can be an "internal style," here are some tell-tale signs of practice techniques that are generally associated with learning internal principles (regardless of style):

1. Slow practice. Practicing slowly allows you to analyze every movement in enough detail that you can fine-tune very small movements and positions that might go completely unnoticed otherwise.

2. Few, small, simple forms. Emphasis on details means your focus is on body movements and coordinations more than complete applications. Therefore, memorizing many applications contained in many lengthy forms is counterproductive. So styles that emphasize learning internal principles generally include relatively fewer forms with relatively fewer applications.

3. Simple movements. The movements practiced tend to be fairly simple and straightforward, the sorts of movements that are somewhat universal, such as a few basic punches, a few basic kicks, etc.

4. No set applications. Ultimately, internal principles lead a person to respond automatically to the opponent's movements in a natural way, based on the body movements and coordinations practiced. The result is that an application/technique emerges naturally based on responses to the opponent, rather than the person deciding what application to use and then playing that application on the opponent. Practicing "externally" usually involves practicing applications rather than practicing body movements and coordinations. The advantage of practicing "externally" is that you can develop useful skills a lot faster--months rather than years.

Personally, I don't think internal is necessarily better than external. It's all subjective. If you want to be more effective quickly, external is the way to go. If you find it boring to practice very slowly and to analyze every little detailed movement, external is the way to go.

Just food for thought on this interesting thread.

TaichiMantis
02-07-2007, 06:25 AM
Personally, I don't think internal is necessarily better than external. It's all subjective. If you want to be more effective quickly, external is the way to go. If you find it boring to practice very slowly and to analyze every little detailed movement, external is the way to go.

I think that is why, as some martial artists age, they depend less on the external training and more on the internal. Physically, you can last longer and remain effective that way.

hokfumantis
02-07-2007, 11:36 PM
As you were quoting bambooleaf saying "External Jing
External Jing is where the Jing is derived from the three external elements of musculature (jin), bones (gu) and skin (pi). This kind of jing is delivered through the exertion of the muscles, hardness of the bones and the toughness of the skin. It relies on hard physical impact and physical exertion to bring its effects to bear.

Internal Jing
Internal Jing is where Jing is derived from the three internal elements of essence (jing), vital energy (qi), and spirit (shen). This kind of jing is effected through the strengthening of the essence to provide the generation of qi which nourishes both the musculature, bones, organs and the mind which is the seat of the spirit.
The body's essence (jing) is built up to ensure a plenteous supply, this is transformed into qi which nourishes and provides the vitality to the musculature, bones, organs and also the mind.

Qi in traditional Chinese medicinal theory is the basis of life in the body and its presence and relative volume determines the health and vitality of the body. Qi itself is directed by the Mind/Spirit which is itself dependent on qi for its mental capability."

You have explained in detail what I was saying about the flow of Chi (Qi). There are Kung Fu styles that has adopted the means to enhance the body's essence (jing), to be transformed into Chi and manipulate this force =Gung (the power or force of Chi). Some styles concentrate on the external jing while others on the internal. I believe these approaches define a partcular style as such (Internal or External). We all know that "Chi happens". Its all around us! Harnessing the power for health, protection and enlightment is another thing. Likewise, electricity is all around us in the air, but when it has been harnessed, its manefestation of power unquestionable. Stick your finger into an uncovered live socket! Get my drift?

mantis108
02-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Sometimes when people say "internal" they refer to strictly mental practice, such as qigong. Other times, people mean "physical internal" which refers more to training the mind to coordinate the body in a way that's more efficient. Generally, when I use the word "internal" I'm talking about "physical internal." The benefits of the efficiency of physical internal training generally include both greater power/effectiveness and reduced energy spent.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Lapu squared. I would think a strictly mental practice is more of a meditation than Qigong. Meditation is a deeper layer of Qigong practice IMHO. Personally, a simple breathe awareness exercise accomplishing slow movement (then explosive actions followe) and/or simple staying still while standing, sitting or lying down, wouldn't qualify as Qigong by default. This however is most people's definition of Qigong. If we establish that as the definitive description of Qigong, then a lot of the western sports would be qualify in the category of Qigong. So there has to be something, or a meaning if you will, other than a breathe awareness induced state of focus to distinguish Qigong from sports that share similar dynamics.

By the same token, your definition of "physical internal" would have to better qualify to make the distinction of being internal IMHO. Are we taking, body mechanics? If so how is it different from a baseball player who swing a bat or pitch a ball with the proper physcial body mechanics as dictacted by physcial principle. If he pay attention or rather mind the details of his body mechanics, wouldn't it qualify as physcial internal already? Again, is there something or meaning other than minding or cultivating the body mechanics that differ that physical internal activity (ie an internal martial art) to sports.

Internal principles can be applied to any style.

The same truth can be said about body mechanics.

However, the people practicing or creating a particular style may place a higher or lower value on cultivating internal principles.

Not to neat picking but what is there to cultivate? Principles can be observed but not cultivated. If we are talking about something that can be cultivated (ie a fruit from a plant), it would be the employment of the principles to bring about the desired result. So are we talking simply minding of the principles or are we talking something transcendental?

This is why some styles are said to be "internal" and others "external." It's not that the styles themselves are more internal. "Internal styles" are just made and practiced by people who want to focus their practice more on internal principles. Ultimately though, all internal principles can be applied to any style.

What exactly, would the internal pricinples be and how different are they from another other sports? Body mechanics are body mechanics and focus is focus; why go through the whole charade if it is just simple as that? There has to be something more meaningful to it but what would that be?

Given that any style can be an "internal style," here are some tell-tale signs of practice techniques that are generally associated with learning internal principles (regardless of style):

I got the impression that this statement would mean that if a Wing Chun or Tibetant Lama stylist incorporate internal principle into their styles then theirs would be internal styles? If that's the case, then would then that make all the "internal styles" always the winners of any match? But how is it possible that styles like Wing Chun and Tibetant Lama could pretty much hold their own against the internal styles? Shouldn't all the CMA styles be cross training by now?

1. Slow practice. Practicing slowly allows you to analyze every movement in enough detail that you can fine-tune very small movements and positions that might go completely unnoticed otherwise.

The same process can happen in all Kung Fu style. Now whether the Sifu taught in this manner is another thing.

2. Few, small, simple forms. Emphasis on details means your focus is on body movements and coordinations more than complete applications. Therefore, memorizing many applications contained in many lengthy forms is counterproductive. So styles that emphasize learning internal principles generally include relatively fewer forms with relatively fewer applications.

Well, Wing Chun comes into mind right away. Right now, I am focusing on 3 forms of my style (lanjie, Bazhou, wooden dummy) would my mantis be qualify for that?

3. Simple movements. The movements practiced tend to be fairly simple and straightforward, the sorts of movements that are somewhat universal, such as a few basic punches, a few basic kicks, etc.

If we focus only on 8 or 12 simple single combinations in Tanglang (ie one step three punches , yuanyang jiao, etc), wouldn't it more or less the same as you outline here?

4. No set applications. Ultimately, internal principles lead a person to respond automatically to the opponent's movements in a natural way, based on the body movements and coordinations practiced. The result is that an application/technique emerges naturally based on responses to the opponent, rather than the person deciding what application to use and then playing that application on the opponent. Practicing "externally" usually involves practicing applications rather than practicing body movements and coordinations. The advantage of practicing "externally" is that you can develop useful skills a lot faster--months rather than years.

By that, I take it you meant no 2 men drills or sparring as internal practice? But the same result (natural responses) can be obtain through Judo, Ju Jitsu, Boxing MMA type of sports. So there is no really "advantage" of internal over external there is it?

I agreed but I would think there is something you touched on and meant to say but seems to have been burried in your post there while making an argument for "physical internal" IMHO.

Warm regards

Mantis108

mantis108
02-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Hi Hokfumantis,

As you were quoting bambooleaf saying "External Jing

Internal Jing

Qi in traditional Chinese medicinal theory is the basis of life in the body and its presence and relative volume determines the health and vitality of the body. Qi itself is directed by the Mind/Spirit which is itself dependent on qi for its mental capability."

You have explained in detail what I was saying about the flow of Chi (Qi). There are Kung Fu styles that has adopted the means to enhance the body's essence (jing), to be transformed into Chi and manipulate this force =Gung (the power or force of Chi). Some styles concentrate on the external jing while others on the internal. I believe these approaches define a partcular style as such (Internal or External). We all know that "Chi happens". Its all around us! Harnessing the power for health, protection and enlightment is another thing. Likewise, electricity is all around us in the air, but when it has been harnessed, its manefestation of power unquestionable. Stick your finger into an uncovered live socket! Get my drift?

You are most welcome. I think there is merit in Bamboo Leaf's post but at the same time I would think there should be a caveat about the quote that I made. While it gives an interesting and quite descriptive view about external and internal power generation, which is of course one of the most important issue (pun intended) surronding the debate, it also perpetuates the polarized perspectives of Kung Fu practice. Frankly, that doesn't nothing more than creating a rift in the Kung Fu community in the long run IMHO. Having said that I don't think that is Bambboo Leaf's intention. Personally, I work towards a unified theory of Kung Fu practice. So to me there is no such a thing as this style is internal and that style is external. You have one body and one truth should apply. It is more important in my mind to first have a holistic approach to make sure we have a pragmatic practice regardless of style. We can then go beyond the expression of the human body through combative form and perhaps even transcendent into a more spiritual realm.

Warm regards

Mantis108

hokfumantis
02-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Hi Hokfumantis,

While it gives an interesting and quite descriptive view about external and internal power generation, which is of course one of the most important issue (pun intended) surronding the debate, it also perpetuates the polarized perspectives of Kung Fu practice. Frankly, that doesn't nothing more than creating a rift in the Kung Fu community in the long run IMHO. Warm regards

Mantis108

While I agree with your intentions, I don't understand why there should be a rift. If there is, it is because there is a mis-understanding of the essense behind internal & external gung. From the above postings we saw how this is possible. As I have said before, "soft & hard" methods of attacks are in all Kung Fu styles. Some people seem to confuse these attacking methods or other physical applications with the principles of internal or external gung. The two is not like Star Wars (Dark force against the Light force). The use of one gung is not more superior than the other. Its about how the Chi gung is executed or applied. Fu Jow Pai (Tiger Claw) is commonly known as an external system. No one would argue that this style is inferior. It has a reputation that speaks for itself.
In a circuit there are positive and negetive charges. Without them both there is not charge. This is the Yin/Yang principle of Chi. While one gung is called external it is not totally absent from the internal vice versa. In my opinion, education of jing and Chi Gung is the key in unifying such a rift. Knowledge indeed is power!
Thanks again!

lapu_squared
02-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Mantis108:

I apologize. It seems my post was too vague and caused confusion. Too much pompous, "holier than thou" BS surrounds internal martial arts, and the people who preach it usually use deliberately vague or confusing language that can't be fully understood. It's sort of like abusing Chi as the answer to all questions. (It usually means they don't know what they're talking about, or if they do, they just don't want to tell you.) So, I apologize if my post sounded too vague. I'll try to clarify with some more specifics here.

Yes, I agree with you that meditation is part of the "mental practice" I was reffering to.

Yes, internal martial arts principles can be applied to many activities having nothing to do with martial arts, including baseball. You can apply these principles to walking, opening or closing doors, lifting heavy objects, and countless other boring activities, in addition to martial arts. That's why style doesn't really matter--Wing Chun or otherwise. For a more concrete example, there is only one most efficient movement to generate power by moving an arm forward against an opposing force. That method is what it is, regardless of why the arm is being moved forward--moving forward to punch, to push a door open, to move a heavy object, etc.

Yes, ultimately "physical internal" does come down to body mechanics. But then again, external kung fu practice also comes down to body mechanics, too. What makes internal different from external is that the focus is less on physical conditioning and more on mental control of the body. Take power generation for example. External practice focuses primarily on building muscles and conditioning the body for endurance and toughness. Internal practice focuses primarily on coordinating many very small movements so that bones and joints are the most important element used in generating power, and the muscles are used primarily for guidance of the bones and joints. So (more concrete example), if I were to train with a focus on external kung fu, I would practice punching a bag as hard and as often as possible, I would do conditioning exercises, I would lift weights, and I might do some iron body training. Or, if I were to train with a focus on internal kung fu, then I would first and foremost find a teacher with knowledge of internal principles, then I would practice very basic movements and stances very slowly to try to maintain a very precise level of control over every angle my bones and joints make until these unusual body coordinations become second nature to me. As you can see, these are very different ways to practice. The end goal is the same--more power. The way there is just different.

So why practice internal vs. external? Simple: Different pro's and con's. Go the external route and you'll become more effective a lot sooner, but you may peak somewhere in your 20's or (maybe) 30's. Go the internal route and it may take you 5 or 10 years to catch up with the external guys, but you'll peak in your 50's. If you already like lifting weights and conditioning, external is the way to go. If you're small and not muscular and never will be, then internal is a great way to generate power despite your physical limitations. If you enjoy lots of fast, rigorous physical exercise when you practice, go the external route. If you prefer very slow, thoughtful movements where your mind has to concentrate on every little angle at all times, go the internal route. If that sounds boring or tedious to you, go external.

If a Wing Chun person incorporated internal principles into Wing Chun, then yes, Wing Chun would be an "internal style." However, an internal version of Wing Chun would also look quite different. As for who wins a match, it's the best fighter. An external guy can beat an internal guy, and vice versa. Regardless of how you practice, different people will have varying levels of skill.

The 4 "tell-tale signs" I wrote are just that, not a definition of internal practice. If you do all of the 4, it doesn't mean your practicing internal martial arts. But, if you practice internal martial arts, you're almost certainly doing all of the 4. Put in a more general way, when you know how to do something, it's easy to look like you're doing it (because you are), but if you don't know how to do something, you can still sometimes look like you're doing it (even though you aren't). More concretely, my 10-year-old likes to play with his plastic swords. It doesn't mean he knows how to use a real sword. But, someone who knows how to use a real sword almost certainly also knows how to play with plastic swords.

As for #4 ("no set applications") that's a tough one to explain. I didn't mean to imply that there is no 2-man drills or sparring in internal practice. There are two ways to approach applications/techniques: (1) You learn an application, then when you're in a sparring situation you try to think of what application to use at that moment. (2) You learn basic body movements (not an application), then you learn basic responses/reactions to the feeling of an opponent's movements, then when you're in a sparring situation you just respond to the opponent's movements using your own practiced body movements, and the result just happens to be an application. The advantage of #1 is that you can learn a useful application faster. The disadvantage is that it's very difficult to think of what application to use next in a fast-changing situation. The advantage of #2 is that you have an infinite variety of variations and can change at any point in the application to adjust to what the opponent is doing (without having to really think much about it). The disadvantage is that it takes a very long time and a lot of work to get there. (I personally am not there yet, although my teacher most certainly is.)

I hope this offers more concrete examples than my first post. If not, contact me if you're ever in the San Francisco Bay Area, and I'll be happy to show you what I mean by any of these points. It's often a whole lot easier to understand when you get the "feeling" rather than just listening to words.

mantis108
02-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Hi Hokfu Mantis and Lapu Squared,

Thank you for the detailed clarification and reply. I really appreciate it. I was just playing devils advocate. It would be great to meet up even just for dim sum. :)

Warm regards

Mantis108