PDA

View Full Version : Chris Clugston's Combat JKD

D-FENS
02-04-2007, 09:48 AM
So I'm thinking of biting the bullet and ordering his 2-tape series from TRS, which also includes a free vid on knife fighting. What I'd like to know is, can anyone here tell me from experience if it's worth it? I was reading the testimonies, and a lot of people seem to swear by his methods. I'm also curious how his system differs from more "conventional" JKD and FMA in a tactical sense. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

LeeCasebolt
02-04-2007, 10:12 AM
I can tell you from experience that anything you buy from TRS is going to be very, very disappointing.

(Yes, I bought a SCARS tape once. I was young and didn't know any better.)

Merryprankster
02-04-2007, 10:19 AM
I saw him in a Martial Arts magazine once.

I make it a point to NEVER EVER buy anything from anybody who now or in the past wore their hair in a mohawk-mullet.

bustr
02-04-2007, 01:59 PM
It's okay. I liked the Comhrac Bas set better though.

RonH
02-04-2007, 05:20 PM
A mow hawk mullet? Are you for real?

rogue
02-04-2007, 07:14 PM
I have them and while they have their good points I can't really recommend them without reservation. They aren't bad but they weren't great.

BTW D-FENS, What are you looking for in a set of tapes?

BTW BTW, Yes his hair style was a bit strange.

yenhoi
02-05-2007, 08:00 AM
I havent noticed anything thats different from most of the rest of the JKD commercial folk. Try something newer like SBGi or Demi Barbito or even some Sayoc stuff.

:eek:

lkfmdc
02-05-2007, 08:12 AM
The TRS ads are just plain funny

John Saylor, former olympic judo coach, gifted wrestler/judoka/samboist said Clugston had some decent stand up and NO ground/grappling when they trained together... this was inbetween the combat JKD and Comrac-whatever phases

D-FENS
02-05-2007, 08:49 AM
I have them and while they have their good points I can't really recommend them without reservation. They aren't bad but they weren't great.

BTW D-FENS, What are you looking for in a set of tapes?

In a nutshell, a streamlined version of Kali/JKD concepts that can be learned quickly, adapted to any art and favors open hand rather than closed fist strikes. I practice traditional Hsing-i and 5 Family Gongfu, and was looking to cross-train in something a bit more modern and eclectic.

From what I gather, they are not bad tapes, but at the same time nothing out of the ordinary either. Would appreciate any further opinions/experiences with his stuff.

rgds,

Wes