PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a school.

sbutcher79
09-30-2001, 10:09 PM
Does anyone know any Tai Chi schools in Washington D.C. or practice in the city? Which style Is thought to be the most martial. I.E. fighting oreiend as opposed to health oriented?

Sum Guye
09-30-2001, 11:09 PM
sorry, I don't know teachers/schools in that area.

But I do know that all styles of Tai Ji are fighting oriented. It's just that there are tons and tons of 'teachers' out there who don't understand that. (The health benifits are a side-effect of the martial abilities in all the internal arts)

When you go to observe a class, or call around,
just ask the teacher if they teach applications..
or if they only teach forms.

Good Luck,
Sum Guye

taijiquan_student
10-01-2001, 12:08 AM
If you're in DC, go see Scott Rodell, at the Great River Taoist Center. I study there, and it's great. I kinda hate to shamelessly promote my school like this, but it is a great school. The taiji taught there is martial. Real Deal. In the beginning(first year) you learn the cheng man ching form, and basic excercises(not too much heavy martial stuff in the first year, although you do learn applications with the form). When you are generally about half-way through the form you go into push-hands. After working working on push-hands skills for a while, you can go into sanshou(free fighting--not sanda/sanshou, they are different) class, if you want to learn to really use your taiji. It is done pretty much full contact once you get into it, and you don't use gear or padding(except for in November, when we use headgear and light gloves because we REALLY go at it.) Scott used to be a wrestler and his martial skill is pretty much amazing.
Sorry to rant on about my school and teacher like this, but if you're in DC, then I urge you to check it out.
--T.S.

"Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

Kumkuat
10-01-2001, 03:37 AM
Isn't forrest chang in that area? Or did he move?

toddbringewatt
10-01-2001, 10:36 AM
I'd say Small Frame Yang is the most martial. Check it out: www.beijingkungfu.com (http://www.beijingkungfu.com)

Email Daniel Wang. He is very friendly. Perhaps he could recommend a teacher in NY.

Also, if you are in the D.C. area you SHOULD NOT miss out on the opportunity to check out Jook Lum Southern Praying Mantis.

Go to the Southern Kung Fu board and ask for Hungmei. He'll probably give you a free lesson.

This Kung Fu is Internal like T'ai Chi and AMAZING martially speaking.

"Bruce Leroy. That's who!"