PDA

View Full Version : Arts originating from the fuken shaolin temple

Kristoffer
02-05-2007, 06:34 AM
If you are practising or have any knowledge of arts originating from the temple or fuken itself, please share your knowledge. I'm specialy interested to see if there are any 5 animal practisioners around. A brief presentation of your art or the styles you know about, perhaps important figures, history, etc.

Oh and if you can, the name of the systems in mandarin aswell.
cheers

debo108
02-10-2007, 08:58 AM
Hi kristoffer.

i guess there should be a lot of people on this thread as many arts can trace thier history to the rich tradition of fukien martial arts.

the style i practice is tiger crane combination and as the name suggests it is a combination of Tai Chor and Bai He quan (tiger style and white crane). it was passed down to my master from Master Ang lian huat from quemoy off the coast of Fukien Province. i would be interested to hear from anyone with a similar lineage. although i am based in the UK , my master is in singapore and is the head of Nam Yang Puglilistic Assc. i have travelled to singapore to train there regulary and have been lucky enough to have gained much exposure to the real culture of southern temple arts. the fascinating thing about the place is that many of the chinese immigrants there are hokkien and brought thier fukienese arts with them after the cultural revolution. there is a very rich tradition of authentic fukienese and southern temple arts there and in malaysia too. in, fact, many of the surviving clubs are pretty much undiluted styles from the southern temple tradition, and many were set up by the 'father of south-east asian shaolin kung-fu' - the venerable 'sek koh sam' (or Chi Gao Can as he is sometimes called)

i aslo do an internal form of white crane brought down from the southern chuan chew temple called shuang yang bai he rou ruan chaun( sun / frost white crane soft art) - i haven't met anyone outside of my clubs founding master's tutelage that does this style so would love to hear from anyone who does anything similar.