PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles schools.

ShaolinCyborg
02-05-2007, 03:36 PM
So, I am moving back to Los Angeles from Florida in April and I am looking for a good Kung Fu school preferably not too far from the Valley.

I spent much of my early teenage years as a Wah Lum student here in FL, and then again in my late teens before I moved out to LA the first time and sorta let my Kung Fu take a back seat for a few years. After taking the last year on a vacation here in FL i have decided that I want to seriously continue my studies of TCMA.

Now I just need to find a school. Looking for a something traditional, preferably that teaches internal arts as well. Something that would be an easy adaptation from Wah Lum wouldn't hurt either, but isn't necessary.

I'm sort of a hardcore student when I train (I used to be at the school ffrom opening till class started and then after some nights, and would spend from 9am till 2pm on saturdays and train Tai Chi as well) And I finally now have a job again that will allow me that time. w00t.

Mas Judt
02-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Go to Empty Flower and look up Dai Strongman - Sudan is his name, he's very good.

You can also look up Mark Cheng - he's a good player too.

Jason Tsao is out there too. Also very,very good.

I'm sure there is more...

ShaolinCyborg
02-06-2007, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the advice, i'm also looking into Harmonious Fist and Buck Sam Kong's Hung Gar school as well... i guess I am seeking recommendations or advice, I kind of want to get started again soon after being (thankfully) home in LA, so having a narrowed down list of places to visit will be helpful with that.

stricker
02-06-2007, 06:49 AM
andrew somlyo (on the forum as AndrewS, see his blog on the training page to get an inkling of how awesome training with him is)

ernie barrios (on the forum as Ernie. you HAVE to hook up with him)

ive trained with both and cant give either high enough praise, and they could read this anyway so i wont hahaha :p

they both teach and can also hook you up with their teachers gary lam and emin boztepe/ebmas who also teach and run classes in LA.

tim cartmells shen wu might also be worth checking out, really nice guy and apparently very good.

EarthDragon
02-06-2007, 03:22 PM
If you want to stay with mantis a must would be Paul lin and his father who was a 30 year student of the late Grandamaster Wei Xiao Tung of 8 step praying mantis. They teach for free in the park in LA

ShaolinCyborg
02-07-2007, 05:51 AM
guess i will check all of them out too...

D-FENS
02-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Bucksam Kong teaches in Griffith Park, up on Hillhurst. I'd definitely check him out. Very strong guy, and one of the few good "old schoolers" still around.

ShaolinCyborg
02-07-2007, 11:33 PM
fun, i love the idea of training with an old schooler.

jigahus
02-08-2007, 04:41 PM
If you want to stay with mantis a must would be Paul lin and his father who was a 30 year student of the late Grandamaster Wei Xiao Tung of 8 step praying mantis. They teach for free in the park in LA

Which park in LA?

EarthDragon
02-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Jigahus, I will inquire and find out for you

shaolincyborg, Master Lin is about as old school as it gets with 40 plus years. I would highly suggest meeting with him... that is if you are still interested in persuing mantis