PDA

View Full Version : bagua knife defense in da hood

Black Jack II
02-05-2007, 04:20 PM
I found this on youtube. I believe black daoist used to post here a long time ago. It showcases bagua used in knife defense situations with a lot of rbsd flavour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-uH93EQzKs

xcakid
02-06-2007, 08:17 AM
I love how he keeps slamming the dude against the metal door. That is some pretty realistic knife defense techniques.

FlyingCrane
02-06-2007, 11:14 AM
That's nice stuff Black Jack II. Very realistic looking training sequences.
I went and checked out BlackTaoist's web site. He is selling some books and a DVD on the system of Baquazhang that he learned. There is another link there to another clip on YouTube that shows what must be his teacher demonstrating some Baquazhang self defence applications. Very nice.

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-06-2007, 11:32 AM
better quality than you'll find at a typical mcdojo or mckwoon, but i feel that it's still far from realistic.

if someone wanted to cut him and had any capacity to do so i think he'd get cut and get cut bad.

FlyingCrane
02-06-2007, 02:14 PM
True, but it is stiill a realistic LOOKING training sceanario, when compared to most that I've seen. The vast majority of these types of staged attacks that I have seen on other instructional martial arts DVDs are basically laughable . This at least makes a real attempt at some realisim.

SanHeChuan
02-06-2007, 02:38 PM
When facing a knife you encounter three different paradigm, each of which must be approached differently.

You have the knife threat, that we saw on the video. Where the primary intent in not to cut you but to scary you. The knife will be presented out before the attacker to threaten the victim. Defense usually involves the immobilization of the weapon, and control of the attacker, until release of the weapon. This is what we see in BT video, and since the intent from the beginning was not to actually harm him he was able to gain control without major harm.

Then you have the stabber, where the intent is to stab and kill you. The attackers confidence is high and he will fully commit to the attack. You will not always see the knife before the attack. If you see the weapon before the attack the attacker probably didn't intend to stab you from the outset, but threaten you. Sometimes you get he psychos who want to see the fear in your eyes before killing you. Defense usually involves a parry, immobilization of the weapon and so on.
If you did not see the weapon before the attack you situational awareness has already failed. Defense usually involves, "Don't do stupid **** that gets you stabbed!"

Then you have the cutter, where the intent is to cut you until an opening occurs for the killing strike. The attacker is hesitant to fully commit to an attack and will slash as whatever is closest to them. If the weapon was not presented first, the engagement has probably already started when the knife wielder pulled the knife out of fear. Hardest to defend, and least likely to be covered in self defense scenarios. Defense usually involves a quick ingress accepting any cuts to get in close enough to immobilized the weapon, etc...

The psychology and intent of the attacker determines the likelihood of successful self defense.

Black Jack II
02-06-2007, 04:52 PM
The psychology and intent of the attacker determines the likelihood of successful self defense.

To showcase how true that statement is, here is a interesting clip. No warning, no challenge...a guy just looking to accomplish his goal.

http://www.nothingtoxic.com/media/1152703743/Innocent_Man_Stabbed_for_his_Wallet