PDA

View Full Version : San-Da? what exactly is it....there seems to be controversy

Aeturnal
02-06-2007, 11:05 PM
where exactly does san da have its roots in kung fu? it seems to basically just be modern day kickboxing. im just curious as where its kung fu roots come in....ive read that its somehow inferior to muay thai and doesnt really have its roots in chinese martial arts. im just curious thats all.

Ultimatewingchun
02-07-2007, 07:09 AM
Always been curious about this, myself...

Have never seen ANY kung fu system resemble "San Da".

MasterKiller
02-07-2007, 07:26 AM
Ross will answer this better, but San Da as a sport originated with the Russian military. It was brought to China as a method to train the military in a safe, realistic fashion.

from wikipedia:

San Da originally described barehanded fights in which no rules existed. However, San Da as a modern sport developed in the military, where bouts were commonly held between the soldiers to test and practice barehanded martial skills, abilities, and techniques. Rules were developed and the use of protective equipment was adopted to limit injuries while still allowing for hard contact.

San Da was originally used by the nationalist party (KMT) at the first modern military academy in Whampoa in the 1920s. Later, it was also adopted as a method by the People's Liberation Army of China.

If your kung fu system doesn't have punching, kicking, and throwing techniques, maybe you should look for another system.

lkfmdc
02-07-2007, 09:57 AM
This has got to be a troll post :rolleyes:

ive read that its somehow inferior to muay thai .

I'm glad we never read that before all those times we've competed in Muay Thai and won :rolleyes:

and doesnt really have its roots in chinese martial arts. .

Even something as limited as Wing Chun (hey, Victor, shouldn't you be shutting down a catch forum somewhere?) :D has side kicks, uppercuts and hooks. TCMA is supposed to have "Ti" (kick), "Da" (strike), "Shuai" (throw) and "Na" (submission, now trademarked by Zuffa by the way!)...

If your kung fu doesn't have kicking, punching and throwing, get a new system, I think someone said that already?

im just curious thats all.

Sure you were

FlyingCrane
02-07-2007, 10:16 AM
lkfmdc, you mention using shielding and parrying as defenses in San Da. Does San Da also utilize limb destructions as defenses, the way that Muay Thai and various other arts do? I know that Lama Pai does use limb destructions, so being that you're from that background, I was wondering if those have been incorporated into your San Da as well.

lkfmdc
02-07-2007, 11:04 AM
"Jit" means to intercept and is used in San Da quite a lot... as for "limb destructions" it really depends what you mean, catching a strike mid air isn't gonna happen.... we use stuff like kneeing the leg once it's captured, which is what Muay Thai does also....

Pork Chop
02-07-2007, 11:42 AM
I remember last year sometime, going back to my original Chinese Sanda tapes after spending a lot of time in Muay Thai and was amazed to see how different the basic approaches to fighting are.

There are huge differences in the approach to punching & kicking between Muay Thai, Sanda, French Savate, and American-rules kickboxing; these differences go beyond different approaches by individual gyms/coaches.

People denying that sanda has anything to do with kung fu is getting kinda old; it's obvious the connection & differences if you know the other fightsports well.

lunghushan
02-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Sanda is basically just kickboxing with some non-grabbing throws put in. Non-grabbing due to the big gloves they wear.

Makes the Chinese think they're great because they can beat the Muay Thai, TKD and karate people who aren't used to doing non-grabbing throws.

lkfmdc
02-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Sanda is blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

stick to posting about germs, much more in your area of knowledge

lunghushan
02-07-2007, 04:59 PM
stick to posting about germs, much more in your area of knowledge

Dude, I had to sit through hours and hours of Chinese sifus boasting about China beating people at Sanda and then making me watch videos of it.

At least you're back, though. I thought you decided to be nice, but then I found the flame war about the charity work going on in the other forum. LOL

lkfmdc
02-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Back? I never left... but you really are a f-in idiot aren't you?

lunghushan
02-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Back? I never left... but you really are a f-in idiot aren't you?

Or a non-f-in. idiot ... LOL

At least I'm not a chipmunk faced sell-out who freely admits he does nothing to protect his students from disease in the school, freely admits he waters down his CMA as Sanda/MMA, freely admits he keeps his school open with $ from people who don't really matter -- will never do any fighting and probably drop out ... etc. etc. etc.

You know, I've kindof missed your flame wars.

Aeturnal
02-07-2007, 05:17 PM
uhh i posted this mainly cuz i was interested in what the differences and similarities are btwn sanda and other forms of kung fu. people seem to be more interested in bickering though. so if anyone can shed some light on the subject, please do. if not please get a grip :)

lunghushan
02-07-2007, 05:19 PM
uhh i posted this mainly cuz i was interested in what the differences and similarities are btwn sanda and other forms of kung fu. people seem to be more interested in bickering though. so if anyone can shed some light on the subject, please do. if not please get a grip :)

They have a grip ... on their weenie. LOL

Like I said, it's basically just kickboxing with some throws. Why don't you look at some Youtube clips and judge for yourself?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzIegyvLGiI

lkfmdc
02-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Lung, you're the lowest form of internet life, a guy who talks crap from behind a blank screen name. We both know you'd talk way different if you were in the same room, so cut the crap... oh, wait, you wouldn't be in the same room with anyone else, not without sterile masks, germs and all... loser

lunghushan
02-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Lung, you're the lowest form of internet life, a guy who talks crap from behind a blank screen name. We both know you'd talk way different if you were in the same room, so cut the crap... oh, wait, you wouldn't be in the same room with anyone else, not without sterile masks, germs and all... loser

LOL. I was seriously ready to come out because my last lesson with a certain teacher is this week. But why bother ...

How about insulting my mommy ... oh, wait, she's fat anyway. How about daddy? He's a lunatic anyway.

LOL LOL LOL You got nothing ... because it's obvious what's truly pathetic and that's SANDA.

Oh, wait, no, Sanda is the state of the art, along with MMA. Sorry, I forgot. LOL

lkfmdc
02-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Yeah, it's real easy to act tough and insult from behind your keyboard. You're a bore, not even an enterataining troll....

lunghushan
02-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Yeah, it's real easy to act tough and insult from behind your keyboard. You're a bore, not even an enterataining troll....

You finally figured that out?

LOL Dude, I'd insult you to your face but you're not even scary. That Lophopkuen guy is scary. The Blacktaoist is scary. You're just a pudding man. LOL

lkfmdc
02-07-2007, 05:34 PM
did you think you are looking tough with the continued trash talk? You're a joke, it's blatantly obvious that you will only talk that way because you are behind a screen someplace. NO, you wouldn't talk that way if we were in the same room. YOu'll prove that by continuing to post crap a few hundred more times.

lunghushan
02-07-2007, 05:38 PM
did you think you are looking tough with the continued trash talk? You're a joke, it's blatantly obvious that you will only talk that way because you are behind a screen someplace. NO, you wouldn't talk that way if we were in the same room. YOu'll prove that by continuing to post crap a few hundred more times.

You're so funny ... you want to know what I'm doing at this exact moment? I'm chugging down a beer, and trying not to think about some work that I have to do because it's an even more inane, boring task than trading stupid insults with you.

Bottom line is we're both not as scary as anybody thinks YOU are ... you're a big white puff ball. I'm a slightly less heavy white puff ball ...

If we were to meet, and who knows, we even might at some point, yeah, we'd probably shake hands and get over it ... LOL

lkfmdc
02-07-2007, 05:43 PM
I don't care what you are doing at this moment, I don't care what you did in the past, I don't care about your plans for the future... if we met, and I knew it was you, I wouldn't shake your hand, and it seems you wouldn't either unless you were wearing a rubber glove. I've grown tired of internet trolls, and you qualify big time... keep posting your nonsense, but it's obvious what you are

Aeturnal
02-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Sure you were[/QUOTE]

http://crane.50megs.com/index6q.htm

this is why i asked

SifuAbel
02-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Did you just post this over at truthmartialarts.com?

Black Jack II
02-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Lung sounds like a old troll who came back for some fun. Prob Neal Cameron for all we know. :confused:

lunghushan
02-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Sure you were

http://crane.50megs.com/index6q.htm

this is why i asked

Aeturnal, what are you really on about? Pretty much everybody will claim their method is better.

Are you looking for real fighting and self defense skills? Are you looking for ring fighting? Or what?

Sanda is basically just kickboxing with some throws. Muay Thai is basically just kickboxing with a lot of striking each other hard so they can take more punishment.

Neither one is necessarily better than the other -- it depends what you want to accomplish.

And please learn to throw some insults around. It's more entertaining that way.

Aeturnal
02-07-2007, 06:02 PM
i guess im more of a traditionalist trying to validate the effectiveness of CMA. its just alotta research ive been doing thats all, just trying to pick peoples brains, no harm done :)

lunghushan
02-07-2007, 06:30 PM
i guess im more of a traditionalist trying to validate the effectiveness of CMA. its just alotta research ive been doing thats all, just trying to pick peoples brains, no harm done :)

I'm not supposed to be having serious conversations about technique anymore because otherwise I'll get ridiculed by the MMA people. So ...

MMA is the bestest best of the best and Sanda is of course most bestest of the best of the best. You should obviously learn just MMA and/or Sanda because only then will you be able to test your stuff and get L3TH4L.

G0T 1T? ... G00D.

SifuAbel
02-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Lung sounds like a old troll who came back for some fun. Prob Neal Cameron for all we know. :confused:

ya think? The child molester is back?

Edit: Nah, thats not him. If it were, he'd be all up about BJJ and wing chun supremacy.

lunghushan
02-07-2007, 07:04 PM
ya think? The child molester is back?

??? Neal Cameron ??? No, I'm Cameron Crowe ... LOL

SifuAbel
02-07-2007, 07:15 PM
I thought you were Cameron Diaz. Or am I thinking Daisy Fuentes?

shaolinsky
02-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Is it even worth posting "its the artist not the art that matters" anymore? Everyone knows this by now I'm sure...

But I think that sums it up - I'm sure some Sanda students could take out some Muythai - or vise versa. Its just about how much experience and actual practice the individuals have imo.

lkfmdc
02-07-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm sure some Sanda students could take out some Muythai -

never! that's un-possible! not in a zillion years :rolleyes:

Aeturnal
02-07-2007, 07:37 PM
i keep hearing "its the artist not the art", but i think the art u take def. makes a difference.....i dont think someone like royce gracie at his size would have been able to beat someone the size of dan severn using somehting like TKD, or karate....i mean its always possible but i really doubt it.....i dont wanna get into another MMA debate but i think the art u take def. makes a difference

lunghushan
02-07-2007, 07:42 PM
i keep hearing "its the artist not the art", but i think the art u take def. makes a difference.....i dont think someone like royce gracie at his size would have been able to beat someone the size of dan severn using somehting like TKD, or karate....i mean its always possible but i really doubt it.....i dont wanna get into another MMA debate but i think the art u take def. makes a difference

Some guy took out Dan Severn with a simple round kick to his leg ... but that was MMA. Only MMA works. Nothing else works or has been proven in modern combat.

Black Jack II
02-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Abel,

Yeah your right.

But man his writing style seems oddly familiar somehow. I just don't know where to place it yet.:confused:

Anyway, why would he be here, he would be at Cyberkwoon. heheh

lunghushan
02-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Abel,

Yeah your right.

But man his writing style seems oddly familiar somehow. I just don't know where to place it yet.:confused:

Anyway, why would he be here, he would be at Cyberkwoon. heheh

I got banned off Cyberkwoon years ago ... anyways Kung Lek is on here now. He's mellowed out quite a bit.

BTW, I never thought anybody's take these if it isn't MMA arguments seriously but it appears that appealing to the lowest common denominator in fighting arguments is the only way to win. I guess pugilists must have small brain stems or something. Or maybe they've just damaged their cerebral lobes past the point of return.

Yeah, Sanda is where it's at. Sanda and UFC/Pride. The only way to fight. Sprawl and brawl ... SPRAWL AND BRAWL, FING YEAH!!!!!!

FuXnDajenariht
02-07-2007, 11:32 PM
lol i dont care what u guys say. this guy is entertaining. seeing you all go into a hissy fit whenever he posts.... :D

lunghushan
02-08-2007, 01:41 AM
lol i dont care what u guys say. this guy is entertaining. seeing you all go into a hissy fit whenever he posts.... :D

They are hissies ... they just need an excuse to have a fit.

msg
02-08-2007, 02:37 AM
Lung, you're the lowest form of internet life, a guy who talks crap from behind a blank screen name. We both know you'd talk way different if you were in the same room, so cut the crap... oh, wait, you wouldn't be in the same room with anyone else, not without sterile masks, germs and all... loser LOL... the truth must hurt lung.. some people do more typeing and negitive talk than training

lunghushan
02-08-2007, 02:49 AM
LOL... the truth must hurt lung.. some people do more typeing and negitive talk than training

??? Do you think I really care what anybody on here says about me ... ??? Especially the chipmunk king of Sanda.

msg
02-08-2007, 02:51 AM
Yes You Do

lunghushan
02-08-2007, 02:55 AM
Yes You Do

No, not really. It would be nicer I guess if they had more intelligent conversations but that would be hoping for too much, I guess.

lkfmdc
02-08-2007, 07:26 AM
Lung must not have much of a life, because he is desperate for attention here on the forum. It's fun to watch him do exactly the predictable, he continues to post, continues with the same blah blah wah wah....

Others need to learn to spell correctly

Eddie
02-08-2007, 01:43 PM
All this fuzz about san da? Maybe you guys should actually spend more time either watching san da or training it…. Either way would be better than *****ing about it.

Im sure allot of san da players here can show you how traditional Chinese Martial Arts fits into San Da. Best thing for you would be to visit a san da school, and talk to people, get hands on experience, and experience it for your self. The internet wont get you much info.

And once the san da bug bites, your hooked for life im telling you.