PDA

View Full Version : Interested in Lama style

Aeturnal
02-08-2007, 02:17 PM
i was on the nylama.org site and it looks interesting, though ive never heard of this style before, can anyone give me a bit more detail as to what they know about it, and its effectiveness, as well as maybe how it differs from some other styles.....also i believe someone on this site has some information but it appears to be unison with nysanda....does this mean they teach or incorporate both? i would call myself but do not have access to a phone at the moment, so if anyone knows any info, lemme know :) thanks

djcaldwell
02-08-2007, 02:42 PM
i was on the nylama.org site and it looks interesting, though ive never heard of this style before, can anyone give me a bit more detail as to what they know about it, and its effectiveness, as well as maybe how it differs from some other styles.....also i believe someone on this site has some information but it appears to be unison with nysanda....does this mean they teach or incorporate both? i would call myself but do not have access to a phone at the moment, so if anyone knows any info, lemme know :) thanks

Could just be me but with the I don't know about San Da and now the I don't know about Lama Pai I'm curious...

Anyway, in case you're truly sincere - check out

http://www.lionsroar.name/site_map.htm or www.lamakungfu.org

Then if you still have interest in learning more you can PM or email Lama Pai Sifu or check out nykungfu.com OR if you evenutally find access to a phone (which if you can get on a computer there has to be a phone somewhere) call the school and someone will be more than happy to help you.

lkfmdc
02-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Could just be me but with the "I don't know about San Da" and now the "I don't know about Lama Pai"

my lord, I never noticed that! do you think? Extraordinary! :cool:

Yao Sing
02-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Speaking of which, when are you Lama guys going to have another seminar?

There was one about a year or so ago that I was hoping to get to but got pre-empted by my nephew's wedding in Jersey. Same day as the seminar and I was hounded to attend the wedding.

I couldn't say I couldn't make it to Jersey for the wedding then travel to NY for the seminar. Anything coming up soon?

lkfmdc
02-08-2007, 05:01 PM
We are doing our 3 day san da/bjj/fighting camp (our annual event) March 9-11...

go to www.sanda-mma.com for details

Aeturnal
02-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Could just be me but with the I don't know about San Da and now the I don't know about Lama Pai I'm curious...

Anyway, in case you're truly sincere - check out

http://www.lionsroar.name/site_map.htm or www.lamakungfu.org

Then if you still have interest in learning more you can PM or email Lama Pai Sifu or check out nykungfu.com OR if you evenutally find access to a phone (which if you can get on a computer there has to be a phone somewhere) call the school and someone will be more than happy to help you.

well i thought coming onto this forum would be a good way to find out about different styles, that would be the point of me asking such questions. there seems to be some bad blood or annoyance amongst all of you. im just researching, thanks for the info.

lkfmdc
02-08-2007, 05:20 PM
when a new face with very few posts starts asking open ended sorts of questions, with little side lines about "inferior" etc people tend to think they are troll posts.... perhaps if you had a more specific question we'd answer it more directly

Aeturnal
02-08-2007, 05:24 PM
i said something about san-da being inferior because i read it in a journal of chinese martial science and i wanted to see what everyones take on it would be... i can show u the article if yur interested at all....im interested in starting a CMA that combines internal and external elements and is effective and can maybe used in sport....there seems to be a connection btwn this ny lama pai school and the ny sanda school, though im not sure what the curriculum for this place would be....so if anyone knows anyhting about that id be happy for the info

djcaldwell
02-08-2007, 05:29 PM
Speaking of which, when are you Lama guys going to have another seminar?

There was one about a year or so ago that I was hoping to get to but got pre-empted by my nephew's wedding in Jersey. Same day as the seminar and I was hounded to attend the wedding.

I couldn't say I couldn't make it to Jersey for the wedding then travel to NY for the seminar. Anything coming up soon?

I'm not sure when Sifu is having another "Lama" seminar but we have open seminars throughout the year. I'll see what sifu has planned for this year as I think the schedule is already in place.

djcaldwell
02-08-2007, 05:31 PM
well i thought coming onto this forum would be a good way to find out about different styles, that would be the point of me asking such questions. there seems to be some bad blood or annoyance amongst all of you. im just researching, thanks for the info.

You're new to the forum so there is some history you missed and it may very well have just been coincidence and if that's the case then you'll definitely find people willing to help you including myself. As David said though with certain questions and statements it just made me wonder.

But check out the sites and then ask away and you'll be sure to get some answers.

Aeturnal
02-08-2007, 05:32 PM
ahh i understand, well i do apologize for coming of as a "troll" but i can assure you im genuinely interested in chinese martial arts....thanks for the info :)

David Jamieson
02-08-2007, 05:39 PM
styles in and of themself are only effective when the practitioners make them so.

for instance, while many tout mma as highly effective, very few make it so.
while many will tout wing chun as effective, very few will make it so.
The same can be said of Hung Gar, Choy Li Fut , Mantis, Black tiger, White tiger, Lama Pai, White Crane...you name it. They are empty bowls which are made useful by their emptiness and renedered effective by what is put inside of them.

having said that (for the 18 millionth time) There's a few guys here who practice the lama pai and teach it and ross also teaches the san da along with it. so if your intention is to snipe, then ross is the one who is your target and what a target he is.

prepare for a textual lashing if you are insincere. lol :p

Aeturnal
02-08-2007, 05:40 PM
so i guess maybe this question should be applied more in the direction of lkfmdc....being that u have experience in both lama pai and sanda, how exactly do they compliment eachother and how effective do u find it to be? at the nysanda school, do they teach both sanda and lama pai? any light u can shed is appreciated, thanks :)

Aeturnal
02-08-2007, 05:41 PM
styles in and of themself are only effective when the practitioners make them so.

The same can be said of Hung Gar, Choy Li Fut , Mantis, Black tiger, White tiger, Lama Pai, White Crane...you name it. They are empty bowls which are made useful by their emptiness and renedered effective by what is put inside of them.

having said that (for the 18 millionth time) There's a few guys here who practice the lama pai and teach it and ross also teaches the san da along with it. so if your intention is to snipe, then ross is the one who is your target and what a target he is.

prepare for a textual lashing if you are insincere. lol :p

which one is ross and how do i get in contact? thank you very much :)

David Jamieson
02-08-2007, 05:51 PM
ross = lkfmdc

other lama pracs here are mike parella and greencloud and a couple of others. I'm sure they'll pipe in any minute now... 5,4,3,2... :p

just keeping it warm. lol

Yao Sing
02-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Ross is lkfmdc (still haven't figured out the mdc part).

We are doing our 3 day san da/bjj/fighting camp (our annual event) March 9-11...

go to www.sanda-mma.com for details

I'll have to think about that one. It's really the Lama I want to check out.

I'm not sure when Sifu is having another "Lama" seminar but we have open seminars throughout the year. I'll see what sifu has planned for this year as I think the schedule is already in place.

Gene will tell you to post it in the events calendar which I don't think anyone actually looks at but I'd appreciate it if you post it here or a link or pm me if you like.

As I said above it's teh Lama I'm interested in, hands not weapons.

lkfmdc
02-08-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm on the way out the door, but I"ll say what I always say, which no one believes me

My san da is simply the Lama, done for fighting....

SifuAbel
02-08-2007, 06:55 PM

Nice, but people don't listen. :(

Aeturnal
02-08-2007, 10:50 PM
from what ive read, it seems it bears a strong resemblance to pi kua chuan? it also seems that alot of practicioners crosstrain in choy li fut, anyone know why?

Ben Gash
02-09-2007, 01:52 AM
Because most of the big names in US Lama trained under Chan Tai San, who learned CLF before he learned Lama (he also learned Mok Gar, Hung Fut, Jow Gar, Bak Mei and others). The styles are fairly similar technically, but with a very different flavour.

bodhitree
02-09-2007, 05:21 AM
Aeturnal
Last Activity: Today 06:01 AM

Add Aeturnal to Your Buddy List Add Aeturnal to Your Ignore List User Options Give Infraction

Forum Info Contact Info
PostsTotal Posts: 29 (4.00 posts per day)
Wow, somebody is busy.

lkfmdc
02-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Like I said, people have issues with grasping this, but I teach Lama, I just don't teach it "traditionally"... I've taken the fighting techniques and principles and created a program which makes these skills accessible, and efficient, to average people... or, something like this (from my web site)

Today, there are literally thousands of different martial arts being practiced around the world. Most identify themselves by their country of origin; Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino, Russian, Brazilian, French, Thai, Vietnamese, etc. There is an astounding diversity of traditions yet they all share basic elements of kicking, punching, wrestling etc. Are there really differences? More importantly, should we concern ourselves with these differences?

We concern ourselves in our organization with only two issues, practicality and functionality. We want to know if the technique, once developed and perfected, will work in a real situation against a moving, resisting, trained person. We want to know if the technique can be developed and perfected by a majority of people in a reasonable amount of time.

In the past, traditional martial arts systems always produced an elite few who were the great fighters of their time. However, not only were these individuals a select few, they usually also had to devote their lives to practice. Today, we want a modern martial art that can benefit the majority, not the minority. That is why these guidelines have been established for training.

If training follows these guidelines, you will be able to discover which techniques are both practical and functional, and a majority of the student body will see appreciable benefits in a reasonable amount of time.

Guideline #1: "Structure"
The foundation of the program is learning the proper position and the proper execution of the techniques. Most of the problems students have in applying technique is found in the incorrect execution; the wrong position, the wrong distance, the wrong angle, etc.

Guideline #2: "Movement"
Since an adversary will not stand in one place during a real fight, all the drills must incorporate movement to replicate real conditions. This includes, but is not limited to, footwork, real distance, distance control, level control and head movement.

Guideline #3: "Impact"
While many traditional martial arts place a heavy emphasis on doing techniques without impact, the reality is that hitting an adversary is quite different from hitting the air! Our program includes a significant time devoted to working with various pieces of equipment so the student becomes familiar with the feeling of impact and develops power and focus.

Guideline #4: "Resistance"
Each drill must include or simulate the resistance (or counter attack) of a real opponent.

Guideline #5: "Context"
Each drill must include context; why the technique is being used, when the technique is being used, how the technique is being used, etc. This also includes discussion of our basic theories such as "leaks", "continuousness", "gates", "bridges", etc.

Eddie
02-09-2007, 12:31 PM
Like I said, people have issues with grasping this, but I teach Lama, I just don't teach it "traditionally"... I've taken the fighting techniques and principles and created a program which makes these skills accessible, and efficient, to average people... or, something like this (from my web site)............................................. .................................................. .........

...........context; why the technique is being used, when the technique is being used, how the technique is being used, etc. This also includes discussion of our basic theories such as "leaks", "continuousness", "gates", "bridges", etc.

aaaahhhh thanks for that. great post as usual. :cool:

Aeturnal
02-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Aeturnal
Last Activity: Today 06:01 AM

Add Aeturnal to Your Buddy List Add Aeturnal to Your Ignore List User Options Give Infraction

Forum Info Contact Info
PostsTotal Posts: 29 (4.00 posts per day)
Wow, somebody is busy.

and uhh wow, obviously someone has too much time on their hands, ya think.....hey thanks for the info ross, im nyc when i have some time i would like to check out yur school, much appreciated

LeeCasebolt
02-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Ross is lkfmdc (still haven't figured out the mdc part).

Lama Kung Fu Modern Defense Concepts.

Yao Sing
02-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Lama Kung Fu Modern Defense Concepts.

Thanks. I was fixing to make one up and it probably wouldn't be flattering. :)

Actually I'm an old guy and every time I see it I think of lsmft from the Lucky Strike commercials.

Oh hell, let's make some up anyhow.

Lama Kung Fu Means Decent Credilibility

Lama Kung Fu Makes David Cranky

Lama Kung Fu Most Direct Crippling

Lama Kung Fu Makes Defense Cleaner

Lama Kung Fu Mans Deadliest Creature

lkfmdc
02-09-2007, 02:55 PM
it was supposed to be DMC as in Devastating Mike Control, but I typed it wrong and now I'm stuck with it :mad:

Yao Sing
02-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks for clarifying that it doesn't mean "Man Dat's Crunk".

cjurakpt
02-09-2007, 03:46 PM
:mad: he always told us it was Lama Kung Fu's Manly Drippings Congeal - and that's why we had to undergo all the "special training"...

whata gyp...

IronWeasel
02-09-2007, 04:18 PM
:mad: he always told us it was Lama Kung Fu's Manly Drippings Congeal - and that's why we had to undergo all the "special training"...

whata gyp...

Well, that certainly supports the 'Herpes from Wrestling' story...

I'll just Tap out from WAY over here...