PDA

View Full Version : 7 Star Praying Mantis / Mantis Kung Fu in Arizona? (Phoenix Area?)

djcetra
02-08-2007, 07:42 PM
After scouting many style of Kung Fu I simply fell in love with the 7 Star Mantis style, I began going in Southern California for a few months and had to move unexpectedly to Arizona.. Does anyone know a Mantis studio around the Phoenix, AZ area? I'm having trouble finding one and I really have my heart set of this style.. Thanks ahead of time.

TaichiMantis
02-09-2007, 08:11 AM
I believe there is a guy named Shirkers on this board that studies in Phoenix. Hopefully he can answer your question...

yu shan
02-09-2007, 08:57 AM
I was going to say the same, PM "Shirkers" (Mark) His teacher is very good so I trust he was taught well.

Three Harmonies
02-09-2007, 09:22 AM
Nothing other than Shirkers, and I am not sure if he is teaching. The SW has an extreme lack of Mantis compared to the rest of the country.
I know some good Wing Chun in Mesa.
Cheers
Jake :)

shirkers1
02-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Hello, as stated by Jake I really don't teach any more officially, I train "basement style" so to speak with the guys I already know. It's more laid back and the guys I work out with out of my house I know will show up so I don't have to deal with riff raff. I teach mantis basically so I can have someone to work out with and keep up with my skills, so in a way I do teach but not for money or as an "official school".

There is absolutely NO good mantis in this area that I know of, It's mostly MMA and american boxing schools here in the area. Some random WC, and traditional KF schools around so depending on what you're looking for I might be able to point you in the right direction if my situation isn't what you're looking for. Send me a PM and we can talk there.

Mark

djcetra
02-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Heh wow guys this is really depressing. I don't think I would mind the basement training, my main concern is just becoming very good at Mantis Kung Fu. I'm not very experienced though, I've only had a couple months before I had to move. I'm not sure who you're willing to accept into your groups etc. are most of the people that train with you pretty far along in their training or? I'll go ahead and send you a PM with some questions Mark.

Three Harmonies- Perhaps you could suggest something for Wing Chun if I can not find any Mantis students to let me join them.

Three Harmonies
02-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Shirkers is good, you can learn from him.
If WC is what you want, there is only one guy to train with IMO www.tempewingchun.com
Joy is one of the nicest people I have ever met or had the honor of training with, and his skills are second to none. I have lost touch with him over the years, but I believe he is still plugging along teaching and training. He has been doing WC for longer than most of us have been alive!
Good luck,
Jake :)