PDA

View Full Version : Anybody seen "The Kumite"?

Jimbo
02-08-2007, 07:59 PM
I saw the DVD but refrained from buying it yet. It's a new film by the director of The Black Mask and is about a mixed martial arts contest in Asia. I saw Gordon Liu and Ti Lung listed in the credits. Since it's a new movie, I'd like to know what anyone who's seen it thinks of it.

I hesitate to buy before seeing it because I got burned when I bought "Anna in Kung Fu Land" just because the cast included Yasuaki Kurata, Lau Kar-Wing, and Lo Meng. That one blew big time.

Any info is appreciated.

jethro
02-08-2007, 09:10 PM
I have passed this up at Hollywood Video many times now. I have only heard the very worst things. I heard Billy chow and Chin Kar lok are also in it. I think kungfucinema.com has a review of it under star runner.

lonewolf
02-26-2007, 12:48 AM
the guy at my video rental place said "dude you don't want to get that" he was very insistant on not wanting people to see it. not good for a place that make money on people renting movies. :eek:

Jimbo
02-26-2007, 07:30 PM
I kinda figured it would be a bad one. Thanks you guys...I'll be passing that one up.

Seems like if you see most newer movies that feature some old-school kung fu film stars, chances are it will suck. *sigh*. Guess you can't recreate the Shaw days.

jethro
02-27-2007, 02:04 AM
I know you only asked for opinions from people who have seen it, but I figured someone would have. I looked on Amazon and they seem to think it's good. I have heard plenty of opinions on this movie, it's just that none of them were good. Did you check kungfucinema.com for Star Runner? That is the best rating for it I have seen from a kung fu fan.

ittokaos
03-13-2007, 03:25 PM
It wasn't good. Kind of a love story thing. But some pretty good KF training montage.