PDA

View Full Version : Samurai Jack's All-In-One Blog

Samurai Jack
02-09-2007, 10:50 AM
I'm keeping records of all of my workouts here now. I've gotten good results with weight-training records here, but I'm really interested in keeping track of my aikido and iaido workouts too. So it's all going here now.

I've put on close to 15 pounds in about a month and a half with 20 rep Deadlifts, so I'd like to give that routine a break for a cycle. I'm going to a more balistic lift now, hoping to develop a little explosivity. I've done John Davie's Renegade Bear in the past. For those of you who are curious to know what it's all about, here's a link:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459657

I'm also continuing to graph progress in various training areas here:

http://trackstat.us/user/Samurai%20Jack

And I have a conclusion to make concerning the old time Squats and milk routines; a gallon of milk a day will make you a fat ***. Don't do it.

Samurai Jack
02-12-2007, 12:01 AM
2/11/07

Bear 50 X 6 X 3
Forearm curls 30 X 15 X 2
CoC #1 X 8 X 2

WinterPalm
02-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Is that 50 KG or pounds?
Doesn't sound like much weight.

I had a guy doing 35 pound dumbbell thrusters for ten followed by ten overhead lunges, 10 burpees, and 20 situps. Seemed pretty hard...

Samurai Jack
02-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Nope, 50 pounds isn't much at all. I never start a cycle with very much weight on a lift like the Bear. Doing so is a sure fire recipe for an injury and a short cycle in my experience.

In about three or four weeks I'll be hoisting some more impressive poundage, impressive to someone who has performed the Bear, anyhow. It's much harder than it looks.

Samurai Jack
02-14-2007, 12:38 AM
One hour Jo practice (took Ukemi for Sensei)

One hour Aikido basics (took Ukemi for Sensei)

Got a speech today about how my training has been too sporadic lately. Agreed to attend at least four days a week.

Ford Prefect
02-15-2007, 12:27 PM
The nature of the bear, especially if done for high reps, really makes gleaning any explosiveness in the hip extension difficult.

Samurai Jack
02-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Really? So do you recommend lower reps than what Davies suggests? If so, how low?

2/15/07
Aikido Basics, one hour;

Moroti Dori (backstretch)
Gyaku Hanmi Jodan Irimi / Tenkan
Gyaku Hanmi Shiho Nage omote
Gyaku Hanmi Kokyu Nage
Kokyu Dosa

Ford Prefect
02-16-2007, 03:00 PM
Not too sure as to what Davies is suggesting these days. If you want to focus on explosiveness though, I definately drop the complexes, or at least choose one exercise like a clean, snatch, or dynamic box squat to focus on and then finish with the bear.

Samurai Jack
02-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks Ford, I'll look into it.

2/16/07

Aiki Bokken one hour:

Kiri Otoshi # 6

First time with this Kata

Samurai Jack
02-20-2007, 02:36 AM
2/19/07

Aikido one hour:

Ai hanmi Ikkyo omote /ura
Ai hanmi kokyu nage w/ ikkyo opening (took ukemi and was exhausted afterword for the rest of class)
Ai hanmi Sumi otoshi
Ai hanmi Jodan Irimi nage (took ukemi again, and felt like I was going to puke)

Iaido one hour:

suburi (100 reps)
Tachi iai exercises (forward, turning left, turning right)
Sho hatto
Sato
Uto

Samurai Jack
02-21-2007, 12:44 AM
2/20/07

one hour Jo

Tsuki Basics, #1 - 5

one hour aikido basics

Ryote Dori backstretch
Gyaku hanmi ikkyo dosa
kata dori ikkyo dosa w/ atemi (emphasis on body connection through shoulder)
kata dori ikkyo omote (emphasis as above)

Samurai Jack
02-22-2007, 01:16 AM
2/21/07

Iron Lohan X 30

Samurai Jack
02-22-2007, 11:59 PM
2/22/07

Deadlift 200 X 5
Iron Lohan X 30
Iron Fist (steel-shot bag) X 50

bodhitree
02-23-2007, 05:50 AM
What is Iron Lohan? pardon my ignorance.

Samurai Jack
02-23-2007, 08:16 AM
It's a dynamic tension Chi Kung set I like to do.

Samurai Jack
02-25-2007, 11:42 PM
2/23/07

one hour of Bokken

I was struck on the right thumb during practice. I'll have to lay off the Iron Hand training until it heals up. Fortunately I *do* iron hand, because I was certainly hit hard enough to break the thumb.

Samurai Jack
02-25-2007, 11:59 PM
2/25/07

Deadlift 210 X 5

My thumb seems to be getting better fast. It looks ugly, but I've got some movement back (it was too swollen to move). Thank goodness for good Dit Da Jow.

Samurai Jack
02-26-2007, 03:23 AM
2/26/07

Iron Lohan X 31

Samurai Jack
02-27-2007, 05:42 AM
2/27/07

Iron lohan X 32

One hour Jo Class

Tsuki Basics #6-12

One Hour Aikido

Ryote dori back stretch
Gyaku Hanmi Soto Kaiten Kokyu Nage w/ atemi
Gyaku Hanmi Soto Kaiten Nage
Kata Dori Kaiten Nage w/ Atemi to back of neck and ribs
Kokyu Dosa

SevenStar
02-27-2007, 06:20 AM
are doing any lifting now other than deads? I think i've only seen one entry on your bear training.

Samurai Jack
02-27-2007, 07:21 AM
Not at the moment, no. I've been working extra hours and had to cut out a few things. Deadlifts are the most productive exercise I do, so I'm concentrating on those right now.

It's a bummer, but the $$$ is sweet. I'll be doing more lifting in the next few weeks. I'm struggling just to keep making it to the dojo right now.

Samurai Jack
02-28-2007, 05:42 AM
2/28/07

Iron Lohan X 33
Deadlift 215 X 5
Military Press 100 X 5

Okay I'm throwing in a set of military presses because Seven got all on my case and stuff. Reading back on my excuses... It's an accountablility thing. One of the best reasons for a workout Blog. Thanks Seven!

Samurai Jack
03-01-2007, 02:52 AM
3/1/07

Iron Lohan X 34
Renegade Bear 70 X 3 X 2

Samurai Jack
03-03-2007, 03:39 AM
3/3/07

Iron Lohan X 35
Deadlift 220 X 5
Military Press 105 X 5

Samurai Jack
03-03-2007, 05:01 AM
Also measuring my blood pressure now to try and get an average over a couple of weeks. I have been borderline hypertensive for a few years (runs in the family), and I need to know if I need meds per Doctor's orders. Crossing my fingers on this one.

3/3/07

128/85 70 BPM

Samurai Jack
03-05-2007, 11:41 PM
3/5/07

Deadlift 230 X 5

Aikido one hour

ai hanmi jodan kokyu ho
yokomen uchi ikkyo omote/ura
yokomen uchi shiho nage
yokomen uchi irimi nage

Iaido one hour

Shido Shinden Ryu 1-10

We discussed some changes return our practice to an older way of performing the kata, the reasons for implementing these changes, and the reasons that the forms were altered slightly in the first place. Both ways are martially correct, but our organization is trying to codify the more basic form, so that it is not lost to future generations. It is also considered to be good practice to be able to perform the kata in different ways to develop flexibility and aliveness in our exercise. Thus we are better able to respond to our partners when we do partner work with bokken.

Samurai Jack
03-06-2007, 11:40 PM
3/6/07

Deadlift 230 X 5
Military Press 110 x 5

Samurai Jack
03-07-2007, 06:16 AM
3/7/07

Iron Lohan X36

SevenStar
03-07-2007, 08:39 AM
How many reps of iron lohan are you going to work up to?

Samurai Jack
03-08-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm not sure. Mostly I'm just doing it for fun. I don't know at what point the exercise will become completely redundant, but it's traditional to work up to 108. I'm not putting a time limit on how long it takes to get there, but the highest I've ever been is 50 something. Honestly it's more important to me that I stick to just dragging my sleepy a$$ to aikido regularly. The Iron Lohan will be the first thing to go if I have to cut back somewhere, but I can do it at work, so the real question is whether or not it will be possible to recover from it and not affect my other workouts.

Samurai Jack
03-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Iron Lohan X37

We're having a Seminar this weekend with a few visiting teachers, and I am frustrated and embarrassed that I'm missing it. These events are very important for our organization, and there is a lot of pressure for a senior student to attend them. Unfortunatly I'm broke, so I've been working extra hours. I feel like I'm missing one of my kid's birthday parties.

:(

IronFist
03-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Sup Samurai Jack? Keep up the good work.

Samurai Jack
03-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks Iron.

Working on a PTP sorta thing again, trying to get my strength back up. I have an idea of how to get to my old goal of 320 X 20.

I'm going to PTP to the 320 mark, then add a rep or two until I hit the 20 rep mark.

Or I could just lie and say I did it. I can't believe I'm still trying to do this stupid thing.

2 + years and counting.

Samurai Jack
03-12-2007, 11:49 PM
3/12/07

Military Press 110 X 5 X 2
Renegade Bear 110 X 1, 100 X 3

Samurai Jack
03-13-2007, 04:31 PM
3/13/07

Renegade Bear 100 X 3 X 2

Conditioning Class

one hour pilates/yoga/aiki exercise

Weapons Class

Jyo basics, one hour

Samurai Jack
03-14-2007, 12:37 PM
I feel the need to vent, and am grateful for the opportunity to do so anonymously here.

This weekend we had a seminar at our dojo. I was unable to attend for a variety of legitimate reasons: I've been working extra hours because of my poor finances and because we've lost several people at work recently, and therefore lacked the time, not to mention the money. I had been acutely uncomfortable about the whole situation, and had struggled to figure out how to make it to the dojo right up until the last minute.

The next day I was able to make it to the dojo, I got into class early and had a short chat with my Sensei. He expressed that he was disappointed that I hadn't been to the seminar, and wanted to know why I hadn't called to tell him. I had actually told him on several occassions about the trouble at work, and about how exhausted I've been. He knows
I'm flat broke. I also told two other senior students who are on the seminar planning commitee that I wasn't goiong to be able to commit to attending. I had wrapped things up as well as I could, though I had planned on making it on the last minute if any opportunity arose. None did.

I took his critisizm in stride though. He asked me to phone him in the future if another situation like that arose. He was perfectly polite and matter-of-fact about it, and that was that.

Or so I thought.

All thoughout the two hours I was at the dojo, other students approached to tell me that they were disapointed that I wasn't there, that they missed me at the seminar etc. etc. I was beginning to feel more uncomfortable than I already had felt. Peer pressure is an intense fact of life at my dojo.

During class I made two errors on two seperate occassions and was publicly shouted at about it. I was told to pay attention. Actually the errors occured because I was paying careful attention, and I was confused by exagerated movements that were demonstrated for the class. They looked different, so I did them differently. This is actually par for the course at my dojo. I am routinely shouted at and berated during class. Interestingly, most other students are given simple instruction when a problem arises. I get the ol' Drill Seargeant treatment most of the time.

Near the end of class, Sensei gave a speech to the entire class about the importance of attending the seminar, how we'd "dropped the ball", how he had been embarrassed by people not showing support for the dojo, and so on. I couldn't help but notice that this critisizm was directed toward me once again. At that point Sensei walked off the mat in disgust and left us to train among ourselves for the last five mintues of class.

Two seperate people refused to work with me at that time.

One senior student who I look up to would not even speak to me.

It is true that I have missed a lot of practice in the last three months. On the other hand, this has been due to matters beyond my control: a serious two month long illness, and a serious setback at work.

I feel that I made the best effort I could to be there. I feel honestly that when I'm on the mat I'm giving 110% all of the time. I do not feel that I deserve to be treated this way.

What does one do in this situation? Suck it up? Take the abuse and move on? Do people actually find this sort of treatment motivating? I personally don't. This has me feeling like I should walk away.

WinterPalm
03-14-2007, 02:13 PM
If you have gone out of your way to explain to your Sifu, and not said you'd be there and then didn't show up, there is nothing more you can do. In my opinion, and I do not know his side, his actions were childish. Without a doubt the senior students have to suport the school more so than the other students, but sometimes you just cannot be there...and you were honest with him the whole time that you would not be there.

As to the other students, I would confront them immediately. No mindgames, no BS, just straight up talk and get it out. No sense in harboring ill feelings, people need to man up and just lay it out and deal with the issues. If they are upset then they should talk to you about it. It is supposed to be a comfortable learning environment.
Besides, why would it matter to them if you were there? They are still learning from the seminar instructor, aren't they? Sure it is nice to have your classmates but when I'm at class it is Sifu and Simo that I am there to see and to learn from. If other people do not come that is there problem...it is upsetting if people make up ridiculous excuses and do not call, especially to let Sifu know you will not be there, but you obviously did everything you could.
To me that is not a comfortable atmosphere...but I am lucky where I train. That said, sometimes we all have to have a big piece of humble pie and then go back for seconds.

Samurai Jack
03-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback Winterpalm. Honestly I could have called him. I didn't know that I wasn't absolutely not going to be there at all until the Seminar was well under way. I had indicated that I'd be there if I could. It's legitimate to ask me about it.

I guess what's got my dander up is that I am actually feeling my motivation to train sapped by the frequent brow beating. This is just an example of what it can be like. I know it's whiny. Nevertheless, I feel like it warrants discussion.

Samurai Jack
03-14-2007, 09:55 PM
3/14/07

Aikido one hour

Ryote dori kokyu ho
Ryote dori Tenchi nage
Ryote dori Kokyu nage
Jodan tsuki kokyu nage (tachi waza)
Jodan tsuki kokyu nage (drop to knee)

This was a really great class. Everyone there was advanced enough to be able to handle going full speed and power, and we all took advantage of that fact. I'm sure I will be bruised and sore tomorrow, but right now I have that nice euphoric feeling that comes after a day of hard work.

Iaido one hour

Shindo Munen Ryu

Iwa Nami
Ukigune Gaeshi
No Arashi Gaeshi
Utsu Semi
Matsu Kaze
Zangetsu Hidari
Zangetsu Migi
Doto Gaeshi
Raito Gaeshi
Yo To
In To
Inazuma Gaeshi

Again this was another good class. I feel my iaido training has suffered from the setback I experienced a few months ago concerning my health, but Sensei assures me it will return quickly. I need to work on my chuburi.

The Xia
03-14-2007, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the feedback Winterpalm. Honestly I could have called him. I didn't know that I wasn't absolutely not going to be there at all until the Seminar was well under way. I had indicated that I'd be there if I could. It's legitimate to ask me about it.

I guess what's got my dander up is that I am actually feeling my motivation to train sapped by the frequent brow beating. This is just an example of what it can be like. I know it's whiny. Nevertheless, I feel like it warrants discussion.
I don't think it's whiny at all. I find the occurrence you described to be rather odd. I'll preface this by saying I don't know the sensei or dojo in question so I'm not passing judgment. However, the actions of the teacher and students that you describe seem rather cultish to me. I also find it strange that they yell at you drill sergeant style and treat others better. I agree with you about this treatment. I don't find this motivating. A guess I will put forth is that maybe you are one of their prized students and they feel a need to train you differently (perhaps this can also explain the treatment you got after the seminar). Whatever it is, I think I'd want to get to the bottom of it. If I were in your position, I think I would be honest about how I feel about this and discuss it with the sensei and students that treated you that way.

Samurai Jack
03-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Thanks The Xia. Yeah, I guess I'm one of the more serious students, which does make a difference. I am a decent sized guy, muscular, and really into training hard. I also do little extra things here and there to help out. I think this makes a difference psychologically, in that people think "Oh he's in this for real, so he can handle it."

Our students who are more delicate and obviously not in this with the expectation that they are training to fight, do get treated differently, and I suppose that's the way it should be.

Everything seems to have smoothed over a bit since that last class, so I'm going to just see how it goes. In the future, I'm just going to make it really clear that I'm not 'slacking off', and perhaps that will be enough to keep things on the up and up. If not, I'll address it with Sensei.

Samurai Jack
03-16-2007, 08:11 PM
3/16/07

Aiki-bokken one hour

Private Class: Sensei and I worked on basics, and a kata shown recently at the President's day seminar. Just wish I knew what it's called.

Renegade Bear 100 X 3 X 1 (my hips are really sore, I just did these to help work out a little lactic acid)

Samurai Jack
03-20-2007, 03:09 PM
3/20/07

Renegade Bear 115 X 3 X 2
Coc #1 X 8 x 2
Iron Lohan X 20

Woke up with a sore throat yesterday. I'm not sure if I'm getting sick or not, but I feel a bit under the weather. Going to aikido tonight.

I'm doing Iron Lohan as a finisher now that I have time to lift and train MA regularly again. It actually feels much more difficult after lifting anyway, and gives a tremendous pump. I know that pump dosen't mean much in the big scheme of things, but a little extra vascularization is beneficial IMO.

I'm also going to be doing Iron Palm again soon. My thumb is almost 100% again.

Aiki Jyo one hour

First half of San-Cho #1

Aikido one hour

Morote dori backstretch
Gyaku Hanmi Irimi nage
Gyaku Hanmi Sumi otoshi
Gyaku Hanmi Sumi otoshi w/ Atemi
Ryo te dori Tenchi nage
Ryo te dori Kokyu nage
Kokyu dosa

Samurai Jack
03-25-2007, 08:38 PM
3/25/07

Renegade Bear 117.5 X 3 X 1 (personal record)
Iron lohan X 20
Coc #1 X 8

Mr Punch
03-25-2007, 08:53 PM
Renegade Bear 100 X 3 X 1 What's "Renegade Bear"?!

(my hips are really sore, I just did these to help work out a little lactic acid)And what does this mean?

And is your aiki-bokken kata the Yagyu-based one with 28 moves? I love that!

About the dojo situation, to some it seems cultish, to many JMA practitioners it seems par for the course...

First point is: I'd leave.

2) You seem to like the place, and it seems quite good from what you say, so

3) Be reasonable, as you are, and suck it up!

When my sensei berated me, I grew a thicker skin. Sometimes he berated me about something that I felt wasn't my fault and I spoke to him about it privately. When our self-styled shihan berated me, and other people (who were largely inneffective) at the HQ dojo, I just didn't go back for a while to see if they were growing up. They didn't and I stopped grading. Sad but true.

When I go back to the UK, I'll start at the old dojo again and, since I've weathered Japan (and certainly have the added mystique! plus some good techs and exercises), I can't see any problem. Sometimes a rest and going somewhere else is what you need. Doesn't have to be another country: when I was training really hard for shodan, I asked sensei if he minded my doing karate to sharpen up, and he said go ahead, so I did and it gave me a great perspective on what I knew and what I was doing in the aiki.

Samurai Jack
03-25-2007, 11:25 PM
What's "Renegade Bear"?!

Look at the link on my first post for this thread. I thought you had tried them... from your BLOG:

BTW Jack, tried your 'Bear' thing the other day with two 20 kgs DBs... harsh! Even at that weight I could only do 3 before I felt my form going...

Anyway, thanks for the supportive words. I was having a hard time there, but I'm over it now. As far as the lactic acid goes, it builds up in your muscles as a natural metabolic waste product in response to exercise. Performing a light set of weight bearing exercise pumps blood into the sore muscle, often helping to speed the recovery process i.e. relieve the pain.

Samurai Jack
03-26-2007, 10:27 PM
3/26/07

aikido one hour

Ai Hanmi Ikkyo, omote and ura

Before class worked free randori with Jaime. It was a lot of fun. We're going to do it more often between classes. I worked Ikkyo for an hour with a brand new student. Good "teaching training".

iaido one hour

Shoden

Shohatto
Satto
Utto
Atari to
Inyo Shintai

Private class with Sensei. Worked hard on basics. Trying to be less robotic, more lively.

Mr Punch
03-27-2007, 06:04 AM
Ah, OK, I didn't know (/had forgotten) it was called renegade.

Glad you've sorted your dojo problem.

So, is it the Yagyu 28 sword kata?

Samurai Jack
03-27-2007, 06:33 AM
I don't know. It was something demonstrated at an instructor's seminar by T.K. Chiba Sensei, and as far as I know, he did not give the name of the kata. I'm itching to know though. Do you have a link to a video or maybe a few photos to the Yagyu kata?

Mr Punch
03-27-2007, 06:35 AM
No I don't, and I've never looked.

I was thinking of videoing myself doing it one of these days, though, when I can borrow a vid cam.

I was taught it as one that Ueshiba taught. It's very nice indeed: a lot of good basic moves and a couple of real Errol Flynny buckles to swash! :D

Thinking about it though, it's a sword kata, not a bokken one: it starts with drawing it.

Samurai Jack
03-27-2007, 06:37 AM
I'd love to see it if you do.

The kata we were practicing were actually two person bokken kata. Is the Yagyu kata performed solo or with a partner?

Mr Punch
03-27-2007, 06:42 AM
It's solo.

In the middle, there's a neutral ready stance (happo no kamae?) after a 360 degree turn 'to check for any living enemies' (it's a nice expression of zanshin in the middle of the kata - and I've since learned the stance to be similar to a daito-ryu tanren kunren for... how do I say that in English - hatteiru 張っている) in Japanese? keeping the muscles taught?)... as it's a sword one I was told the 'body count' is high! :D

If it had partners, it would need about 25 of them, or one running around frantically attacking from different directions! LOL

Samurai Jack
03-28-2007, 08:25 PM
LOL Mr. Punch. I like the image. :)

3/28/07

I am sick again. Coughing up blood, with a fever. I had a lung infection about two months ago. I hope it's not back again, but it feels like it. So I'm missing class again.

I'm going to call Sensei and tell him about it in a few. Still have to go to work though. I really want to lift weights right now, but it's probably not a good idea.

Samurai Jack
04-05-2007, 12:41 AM
4/4/07

Renegade Bear 100 X 3 x 1

I've been sick for a few days, as noted above. Trying to recover still. I'm glad I dropped down to 100 lbs. I considered attempting my PR again, but was exhausted after a single set with 100. I probably would have hurt myself.

Samurai Jack
04-10-2007, 06:18 AM
4/10/07

Iron Lohan X 20

Isometric Grip Work

Coc Grippers # 1 X 8, #2 X 4

Renegade Bear 100 X 3 X 2

Samurai Jack
04-12-2007, 09:53 AM
4/12/07

Military Press 130 X 1
Deadlift 270 X 1

Samurai Jack
04-16-2007, 07:40 AM
4/14/07

Dive Bombers 3 X 10
Burpees 3 X 10

Played with 40 pound kid, flinging her through the air, tossing and catching, swinging in circles. 20-30 minutes. Great ab and upper body workout.

4/15/07

8-count Bodybuilders 3 X 10

Played with 40 pound kid, flinging her through the air, tossing and catching, swinging in circles. 20-30 minutes. Great ab and upper body workout. May do something similar with a 50 pound sand bag soon. It's killer.

20 minute walk

4/16/07

Farmer's Walk 160 X 2 flights of stairs (up and down)

Samurai Jack
05-03-2007, 02:28 AM
5/2/07

Six mile walk

One Hour Aikido
warmups/stretching
Ryote dori tenchi nage backstretch
Ryote dori tenchi nage
Ryote dori shiho nage omote/ura
Hanmi handachi Ryote dori shiho nage omote/ura
Ryote dori Kokyu nage Chudan omote/ura
Ryote dori Kokyu nage Jodan omote/ura
Kokyu Dosa

One Hour Iaido
Basic exercises / cuts for tachi waza Shoden

Supplementary Conditioning
Dive Bombers / Jump Squats / 10-Way Crunch circuit
10x10x100x2

bodhitree
05-03-2007, 04:45 AM
SJ

Do you know anything about Yoseikan Aikido?

Samurai Jack
05-07-2007, 12:15 AM
I'm sorry to take so long to reply, bodhitree, but I've not heard of that aikido style. Seems like a new one pops into my field of vision every week. Personally, I'd stick with Aikikai, but that's just because it's the founder's organization, still run by his Grandson, and therefore adheres to a reliable level of quality control. I hear Yoshinkan is very reputable as well, emphasizing a sort of free sparring randori, which is similar to your judo randori.

5/4/05

One Hour Aikido
I am embarrassed to say that after being awake for more than 24 hours, I can't remember precisely what we did in class. I'll update it after checking the dojo workout log (which I filled out, so I *should* know it).

One Hour Bokken

(See Above Comment)

5/6/07

Conditioning
10 Way Crunches
Bear 100 X 4 X 1

bodhitree
05-07-2007, 06:31 AM
thanks for the reply, I noticed a school here in pittsburgh that teaches judo and yoseikan, the school is really credible as far as judo goes. I might stop out and visit them for a couple classes.

Samurai Jack
05-08-2007, 01:03 AM
5/7/07

Aikido One Hour

Ryote Dori Tenchi Nage
Ikkyo Dosa
Gyaku Hanmi Sumi Otoshi
Gyaku Hanmi Ikkyo omote / ura

Iaido One hour

Chuburi
Nohto
Tachi Iai
Shohato

Samurai Jack
05-08-2007, 08:29 AM
5/8/07

Conditioning

Farmer's Walk:160 X 3 flights of stairs
Bear: 100 X 4 X 1

Aikido One Hour

Ryote Dori backstretch
Gyakuhanmi Gedan Tai no Henka
Gyakuhanmi Gedan Kokyu Nage
Gyakuhanmi Chudan Tai no Henka
Gyakuhanmi Chudan Kokyu Nage
Kokyu dosa

Samurai Jack
05-09-2007, 10:41 PM
5/9/07

Aikido

Ryote Dori Backstrech
Suwari Waza Shomen uchi Ikkyo omote /ura
Suwari Waza Shomen uchi Nikkyo omote / ura
Suwari Waza Shomen uchi Irimi Nage

Iaido

Shohatto
Satto
Utto
Atarito

Samurai Jack
05-11-2007, 06:03 PM
5/11/07

Aikido Weapons
one hour

Samurai Jack
05-15-2007, 12:11 AM
5/14/07

Iaido
Basic draws and cuts

Samurai Jack
05-15-2007, 10:33 PM
5/15/07

Aiki bokken
Basic Partner Drills
First six of Eight Count Suburi

Aikido
Suwari Waza Gyaku Hanmi Ikkyo
Gyaku Hanmi Ikkyo
Suwari Waza Shomen Uchi Ikkyo
Kokyu Dosa

Samurai Jack
05-16-2007, 11:27 PM
5/16/07

Aikido

Jodan Backstretch
Gyaku Hanmi Jodan, Chudan, and Gaidan Kote Gaishi Openings
Gyaku Hanmi Jodan Kote Gaishi
Gyaku Hanmi Jodan, Chudan, Gaidan Irimi Nage
Kokyu Dosa

Iaido

Basic Draws and cuts

Samurai Jack
05-21-2007, 11:15 PM
5/21/07

Aikido x 2 hours

I'm testing for Nikyu on Thursday, technically, but apparently the testing for folks at this level really takes place all week long. I got my butt kicked so hard during class I couldn't tell you what exactly we worked on... I just know that personally, I worked on trying to breathe and hold down my breakfast at the same time.

Iaido

one hour class (Yes, this was after trying not to barf for two hours.)

Shoden Tachi Dosa
Shoden openings

Samurai Jack
05-23-2007, 11:19 PM
5/23/07

Aikido

Two hours + 30 minutes of prep work for tomorrow's test.

Iaido

Shohatto
Satto
Utto
Atarito

SevenStar
05-24-2007, 12:53 AM
what does the test consist of?

Samurai Jack
05-24-2007, 03:02 AM
The official test consists of three main sections:

1. A technical syllabus that's too lengthy for me to write off the top of my head. For me I'll be demonstrating 38 advanced techniques.

2. A section of randori against multiple attackers.

3. A section that is tailored somewhat to the student is sometimes included also.

It's more than just physical, there are often challenges that the instructor is aware will "rattle" the student somewhat. A person who has trouble with high breakfalls may be asked to demonstrate a series of them. Or a student may be asked to perform techniques they have never done before without a demonstration. In my case I got a little extra hard thumping from Sensei on Monday. He may not have pushed me as hard as he could, but he pushed me to my limits without doubt. I don't know what he did, but I felt like I was caught in a blender at the time. There will probably be more of that.

The point is to work under pressure. At the Nikkyu level and above, there is enough variation as to what the student is asked to do, that I can safely say right now, that I don't know what all will be on this test. Many people fail thier Nikkyu test the first time around. I am not better prepared than the ones who have failed, so I guess that tells you where I stand.

Nonetheless, a senior student is expected to test when invited to do so, regardless of whether he thinks he will pass. Since we don't have competions, the stress of testing is intended to serve a similar purpose. The idea is to push yourself beyond the level where you thought you were, and learn from the experience.

I've trained and competed in several different athletic venues in the past. For me, the biggest difference between competing athletically and testing is that I have never looked forward to, or enjoyed a test. They are grueling, gut wrenching, sometimes frightening, and nearly always humiliating.

I'll post some highlights and the results tomorrow.

bodhitree
05-24-2007, 04:21 AM
Good Luck!

SevenStar
05-24-2007, 08:31 AM
bah. he doesn't need it. he will pass.

Samurai Jack
05-25-2007, 04:16 AM
Thank you guys. I am extremly pleased with how the test went. From the beginning I knew that I was not well prepared for this test, and I was very worried that I would freeze up on the technical demonstration. There were techniques on that syllabus that I have not seen before, but I had enough basic principles in my repertoire to be able to pull off good approximations smoothly.

I was not in particularly good shape for this test. I've been neglecting my cardiovascular work, and I gassed within the first twenty minutes for sure. Nonetheless, I managed to soldier on until I hit a second wind. I was particularly proud of my Koshi Nage (hip throwing) techniques, which I was asked to perform after I was completly exhausted. As far as I can tell, they looked very good and clean.

I was not asked to randori this time around, probably because Sensei could see that I was done about halfway through the demonstrations. My knees were raw at that point from the kneeling versions (Suwari Waza), and the ground work (Ne Waza), and spots were showing through my gi. I'm grateful for this courtesey, but I expect in a few months when I test again things will be a bit different regardless of whether or not I'm ready!

Unfortunately, I did not pass this time around. However, I am very pleased that in spite of the fact I knew I wasn't ready, I still did my best. I managed to pull off a nice enough test that several people thought I had passed. It was much better than I'd hoped, and I got a good lesson about conditioning and preparation.

I'm going to be meeting with several other senior students twice a week for the next few months speciafically to work on advanced work and randori, which we don't typically do enough of in class. We are all going to be testing very soon for Nikkyu, Ikkyu, and possibly Nidan, respectivly, and I think this arrangement, working with people advanced enough to challenge me, will assure my success in the future.

Samurai Jack
05-29-2007, 11:39 PM
5/29/07

Aikido

One Hour Basics Class:
Gyaku Hanmi Irimi / Tenkan Gaidan
Shodan Uchi Ikkyo opening exercise, Irimi / Tenkan
Shodan Uchi Irimi / Tenkan

Samurai Jack
05-30-2007, 11:12 PM
5/30/07 (Wed)

Aikido

2 1/2 Hours

Iaido

1 Hour

Conditioning

Bear 80 x 5 x 2

bodhitree
06-01-2007, 09:38 AM
congrats on passing the test!

Samurai Jack
06-05-2007, 12:33 AM
Unfortunately, I did not pass this time around.

I didn't pass. I'm still pleased with how the test went though. As a training tool, this was my best test ever. I learned more about myself, and had to work harder than I have in the last ten years. Technically there are things that need polish, but I showed strong spirit, and I was completly "in the zone" during the ordeal.

6/4/07

Aikido

1/2 hour test preparation
one hour class

Samurai Jack
06-06-2007, 09:39 AM
6/6/07

Conditioning

Bear 80x2x5

Samurai Jack
06-08-2007, 10:08 AM
I need to get a bit more serious with my conditioning work, because I'm not training regularly enough to make any progress. So for the next four weeks, I'll be doing the following workouts in addition to my regular training:

Mon: Bear Lift
Wed: Farmer's Walk on stairs
Friday: Deadlift (triples)

Mon-Friday: Iron Palm work

It dosen't sound like much, but that's in addition to 11 hours of Martial Arts per week.

Samurai Jack
06-08-2007, 10:11 AM
6/7/07

Aikido

Tenchi Nage backstretch
Kokyu Nage w/ Marshal (he gave me a hard time as usual, need to keep my bottom hand lower on that particular throw)
Kokyu Nage variation

Samurai Jack
06-08-2007, 09:18 PM
6/8/07

Conditioning

Deadlift 240x3x1, failed to pull 270 (attempted twice)
Proof that I'm weaker than I used to be!

Aikido

Morotedori Backstretch
Morotedori Ikkyo, Nikkyo, Sankkyo

Jo Class
Keisa basics 1-12

Mr Punch
06-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Bad luck on your test.

Did your sensei tell you exactly where you went wrong or is figuring that out supposed to be part of the process? And if so, what pointers did he give you?

I haven't failed a test yet but I've seen many who have, and failed a couple of people myself... ;) but we always make them do the randori anyway. To me that's the most important part of it: not whether they can do set techniques but whether they can apply it under pressure. We've usually been assessing them in class anyway, so we know if they have the technical ability whether they mess up a set tech on the day or not, and also if they mess up their technical stuff but can still pull it off under pressure they might still get passed.

Depends on the grade though: ikkyu for us is the most technically demanding, in terms of specific 'Do this, do that,' kind of stuff.

Myself, after shodan I would do away with the tech stuff altogether and just go for unspecified randori... but that would mean teaching all the ukes how to throw a decent combo... :eek: can't see that ever happening! :D

BTW, apart from the commiserations and general rambling I just came on here to ask about your suwari waza and newaza. I've never got the blood spots and I've done a lot of suwari waza... plus I have psoriasis on the knees which naturally makes them raw!

Two things that may cause this: 1) harsh mats! 2) bad technique! - make sure your weight is well distributed and you go down locking the hip out as you go on the first knee to hit the deck, and your knees are squared like you're squatting. When you pivot with a good squared stance and bring the feet right up under the hips, you don't skid around and skin your kees so much!

You might also consider changing your gi. If you have a heavyweight judogi, sometimes they have slightly thicker stitched pads on the knees...? That'll mess em up good. Judogi are not designed for spending so much time waltzing about on the floor! Smooth medium weight cotton is best I think. And hakama is really comfortable!

Samurai Jack
06-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the suwari waza tips! I definately plan on working on them more.

We wear heavyweight pants, with the extra layer of quilting. Also our mat is made of rough canvas. Combine that with my having... ahem... neglected my suwari waza lately, and the 45 minutes of suwari waza before moving on to hanmi handachi techniques, and my knees were hating me. My shikko is pretty good, I think. My technical work wasn't so bad either. Really, right after I was done I thought, "Wow! I passed! I didn't think I would!" When I heard I hadn't it wasn't a letdown at all, because I gave a much better test than I expected to. When you outdo yourself, to yourself, it dosen't matter so much what anyone else thinks.

As far as what I need to work on, Sensei gave no pointers. I know I need more mat time. I need to use my belly more, and I need to connect my bodyparts more solidly. Basically I need to make the "internal connections" necessary to move my technique up a notch. I know it's not that my gross movements aren't necessarily correct, it's that subtle "center" stuff.

For the next few months I'm working on all of the material on the test outside of regular class time. I'm working on my conditioning on my own time, specifically concentrating on anaerobic stuff, so maybe I won't gas so quickly and have to slow down. I'm also really concentrating on body mechanics during class. Instead of trying to just "get through" the next test, I'm thinking of it as my "comeback performance." I'm going to nail it. My goal is to give the best Nikyu test this dojo has ever seen.

Mr Punch
06-10-2007, 03:23 AM
Fair enough.

I've no idea why this vid is squashed, but try this deceptively easy-looking exercise: shintai jiku (http://youtube.com/watch?v=lsHm8umHpN4). This is my ex-teacher doing what he calls shintai jiku (body axis) or manji stepping. If you're doing it right it's brutal and perfect in terms of connectivity with your centre.

You should really avoid overconcentrating on your tanden IMO though. Read the rather annoying poster 'Upyu' on upper cross training and whatever on this thread, and you should get a good idea of where this training fits in with aiki and your need for connection to the centre.

Here. (http://aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10763&highlight=upper+cross)

And here. (http://aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10764&highlight=upper+cross)

This (http://aikiweb.com/forums/showpost.php?p=124197&postcount=81) is a good explanation as to why sumo's shiko exercise is good for aiki (and other martial connectivity development.

I'll get back to you with some other nice exercises for aiki-style core development: all of the ones I've linked to come from Yagyu Shingan Ryu via Daitoryu. Ueshiba would have definitely trained these, and if you listen to some of the old shihan, they used to too.

Edit: Example of using those solo exercises in demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4GOEdKyee4)

And his take on kokyuu dosa (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAJVQMCWeOA&mode=related&search=)

Samurai Jack
06-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Nice info on the aikiweb link. I've seen the first article, but not part two. Good things to work on.

Also the Shintai Jiku exercise looks a great deal like Taiji stepping to my admittedly inexperienced eye. I'm assuming it is strictly dosa, with crossover to "normal" aikido movements. Is that accurate?

Mr Punch
06-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Nice info on the aikiweb link. I've seen the first article, but not part two. Good things to work on.

Also the Shintai Jiku exercise looks a great deal like Taiji stepping to my admittedly inexperienced eye. I'm assuming it is strictly dosa, with crossover to "normal" aikido movements. Is that accurate?What's your def of a dosa here?

It's one of Takeda - Sagawa - Kimura's standard tanren kunren from Daitoryu... like I said, Ueshiba passed it on to a lot of his older shihan (and I suspect by his attitude to chiba too, though I don't know as i don7t know what specific exercises he does) and put a lot of stead by it before he got PTSD and turned cosmic!

That, and shiko from sumo, and a few others are the prime ways of moving in any daitoryu action, be it throw, punch, kick, pin, newaza or what have you.

Samurai Jack
06-10-2007, 11:36 PM
I meant "exercise" as opossed to "standard combat method of moving" (waza). Either way, I'll give it a whirl. I am just curious if you normally do the exaggerated heel-to-toe step when you move around in your training. Also I noticed an exaggerated horse stance in there as well. It's something I've seen often in taijiquan, but never in aikido.

Samurai Jack
06-10-2007, 11:39 PM
By "exaggerated" I mean a definate pause for emphasis in these movements, which to me indicates either that it's being done from the point of view of intensifying the exercise, or to emphasize the movement in order to work on a detail of a standard practice in the style.

Samurai Jack
06-11-2007, 06:20 AM
So to clarify the question:

I understand that it's an exercise with a long history in your tradition. Is it also the method that you generally move when performing technique?

Mr Punch
06-11-2007, 08:36 AM
I meant "exercise" as opossed to "standard combat method of moving" (waza). Either way, I'll give it a whirl. I am just curious if you normally do the exaggerated heel-to-toe step when you move around in your training. Also I noticed an exaggerated horse stance in there as well. It's something I've seen often in taijiquan, but never in aikido.No to heel-to-toe. He doesn't say it's wrong but there's no emphasis on it. His emphasis on the feet is on 'suction cupping' ('dragging'?) the ground, but in a way that shouldn't disadvantage you gliding movement. Actually he doesn't emphasize feet much, more the opening and closing of the thigh crease: this is what keeps the tension in the lower back and the arch of the legs. In the transitory feet together position he really stretches his arms... again with tension. This is not dynamic tension like in goju ryu karate: this is a feeling of haru (hatteiru) which is like a string stretched on a bow: as he says.

The exaggerated horse stance is purely a preliminary for his skill in being able to effortlessly change levels, squatting and shooting up at any point. He really does seem effortless, if you are touching him you don't feel any telgraphing or strain at all. The closest I'd come to it before was my MMA teacher dropping to shoot on me from clinch: didn't feel it.

So the horse is a developmental stance for that, and for the shiko: for the feeling of the arch in the legs - as that Upyu describes it: the feeling of the legs being the arch and the pelvic girdle being the keystone (even when there is no bend in the legs).

If you notice, he does shiko with someone on his back. We used to do that in our aiki school in the UK from a completely differetn line but it was never explained to us: just something for 'conditioning'! The way he does shiko is like it's explained on the Sumo Taiso website from the Sumo organisation, except he goes into more depth. He maintains Sagawa swore by it, and said that the Sumo-beya never did it properly anymore even.

You should lift the leg without pushing down on the other, thus you really get to feel the connection to the lower back (the 'keystone') and thus the tanden...

By "exaggerated" I mean a definate pause for emphasis in these movements, which to me indicates either that it's being done from the point of view of intensifying the exercise, or to emphasize the movement in order to work on a detail of a standard practice in the style...

So to clarify the question:

I understand that it's an exercise with a long history in your tradition. Is it also the method that you generally move when performing technique?So yes, it is generally the method that they use to move (I can't say we, since I don't train there anymore and although I use some aspects of their training in mine, I didn't reach any level to speak of, and I'm more aiki/chun based MMA in outlook anyway!).

Some examples:

when pushed, Akuzawa doesn't emphasise some nebulous nonsense about absorbing/dissipating the force into the tanden, nor some pseudo mechanical whathaveyou about c0cking the hip or directing the force into the ground through the 'back' leg. His structure is hard where he wants it and giving when he wants it. So when you push him, it's like your pushing nothing (and not just slow pushes either) and then it bounces back hard. Its the same when I kicked him or punched him: he just takes it, and sends it back. The way he does it is through that trained structure... his leg/legs or like the supports on the arch... OK, so the way I say it it does sound like pseudo scientific mechanics, but, I dunno, he's ****ing good.

If you wathc those seminar vids closely he's showing a method of side kicking through the target directly from that way of moving in shiko, and another of punching/kicking based directly on the shintai jiku.

It's the same for throwing, kicking, punching etc.

If you read Sensei William Coyle on Martial Arts Planet (Aikido board - discussing what was it... kuzushi maybe with Upyu) he explains that Abbe, Nakazono, Chiba et al all had similar forms of training which have gone by the board nowadays. These included ramming a bokuto down the back of your belt and tying another across your shoulders, and moving in horse stance to train the 'hatteiru' feeling in your tanden, upper cross (between the shoulder blades), and leg arch (+ lower back)... if you slackened off the bokuto would dig nicely into the base of your spine.

Not surprisingly, no-one does these kind of barbaric exercises in this day and age, which is maybe why aiki has degenerated into a pussified laughing stock for many people (not casting aspersions at yours of course - and I'm not as much an evangelist as Upyu, but Akuzawa's training is bloody hard).

Edit: he's also got one of the hardest punches and kicks of anyone I've met, from any range seemingly (even better than my shooto teacher left hook which was tasty and some of the short range chun 'experts' I've felt!). He can sit in low horse and kick you without changing the position of one of his legs, and it will knock you back./wind you a treat.

Mr Punch
06-11-2007, 08:41 AM
Hope that answers some of your qs. sorry mate, didn7t mean to hijack your blog... just give that shintai jiku and shiko a go for a month every day (just start with 10 manji steps and 20 shiko and work up from there),i tll help you with your tanden connection and general connectivity no end.

:)

Samurai Jack
06-11-2007, 10:34 PM
It does, thank you. I noticed today in iaido class a ton of different exercises and kata where we move identically to both of those exercises albiet at different points. I'll do them for awhile and see what happens. Thanks so much for the tips!

Samurai Jack
06-11-2007, 11:10 PM
6/11/07

Aikido

Test Preparation
Hanmi Handachi Kata Gatamei Uchi and Soto
Ukemi for Bill

Class #1
Condioning exercises
Gyaku hanmi backstretch
Shomen uchi Ikkyo omote/ and ura (half turn variation)
Shomen uchi Irimi nage
Shomen uchi Kokyu nage
Kokyu Dosa (continuous contact, very aerobic)

Class #2
Gyaku Hanmi Kokyu ho backstretch
Gyaku hanmi Chudan Tainohenka
Tsuki Irimi/Tenkan
Tsuki Kote Gaeshi
Tsuki Shiho nage (variation w/ pin)
Tsuki Irimi Nage (variation with *wicked* atemi)
Kokyu dosa

Iaido

Conditioning exercises (wore me out)
Shoden kata, with an emphasis on:
Inyo Shintai
Gyatei Inyo Shintai

Conditioning

Iron Palm 50 each hand
Sumo Shikko x 20

No Bear today. I'm too beat from the rest of the day's work to do anything but risk hurting myself. I'll try again Wednesday. Also I will work on Shintai Jiku tomorrow. It will require a little more concentration to learn to do it correctly than I have in me today.

Samurai Jack
06-13-2007, 02:35 AM
6/12/07

Conditioning

Iron Palm x50

Samurai Jack
06-13-2007, 11:51 PM
6/13/07

Conditioning
Bear 82 1/2 x 5 x 2
Iron Palm x50
Suburi x50
Working on Shintai Jiku (it's hard learning from video)

Aikido

Test Preparation
Tsuki Sumi otoshi
Gyaku Hanmi Sumi Otoshi
Ryote dori Tenchi Nage

Class #1
Tenchi Nage backstretch
Ryote dori Tenchi Nage
Ryotedori Tenchi nage (compressed)
Ryote dori (weird technique I don't know the name of)
Kokyu Dosa

Class #2
Morote dori Jodan Kokyu ho backstretch
Suwari waza Ikkyo omote and ura
Suwari waza Irimi Nage (irimi tenkan variation, tenkan on the throw, bringing uke straight down)
Suwari waza Kotegaishi (variation opening with tenkan)
Kokyu dosa

Iaido
Free Practice so I did Shoden for an hour.

bodhitree
06-14-2007, 05:10 AM
I didn't pass.

Wow, I don't know how I missed that. Sorry for not reading more carefully.

Samurai Jack
06-18-2007, 10:35 PM
6/17/07

Conditioning
Iron Palm x50

6/18/07

Conditioning

Bear 85x6x1
Suburi x150
Iron Palm x60

Iaido
Shoden (my cuts are improving) :D

Samurai Jack
06-19-2007, 10:26 PM
6/19/07

Aikido

Very tough class today for me. Sensei had me taking ukemi for a variety of techniques that were performed in such a way that I had to work very hard. He ordered me off the mat at one point for gatorade, which is the first time I've ever seen him do that to anybody. I was quite exhausted afterword. I overheard him say later that I'd done well. Which is good.

Zazen

30 minutes

Conditioning

In addition to the above super-tough class...

Iron Palm x60

Samurai Jack
06-21-2007, 02:38 AM
6/20/07

Aikido
Ryo Kata dori Ikkyo omote and ura (atemi to temple)
Ryo Kata dori Kokyu nage (jodan atemi to chin and/or larnyx)
Ryo Kata dori Irimi nage w/ various atemi (namely rising palm heel to chin and/or nose, pinch upper lip, finger jab into suprasternal notch)

Iaido

A private class with Sensei. We worked on a set of five kata which I have not seen before. They are not officially part of our system, but Sensei learned them during a seminar with Mitsushige Sensei in 1991. Chiba Sensei considered them too different from our other kata to include in our official curriculum, however Thoms Sensei has preserved them. They are police kata from the late Tokugawa period (early 1800's).

They contain an unusual shifting "slide" step, that I take was designed for working in tight quarters. Also there are transitional differences that are interesting; when preparing for Shomen cuts the tip of the sword is brought over the shoulder, rather than past the arm. The last kata in the series contains a series of cuts in four directions. It is challenging, but enjoyable. I shall work on these outside class, as they are quite rare, and I expect I will not see them again for a long time. I am grateful for this precious gift.

Conditioning
Iron Palm x60
Iaido Police Kata x10 each (in addition to the above mentioned class)

Samurai Jack
06-22-2007, 08:32 PM
6/22/07
Iron Lohan x30

Samurai Jack
06-23-2007, 10:42 AM
6/23/07

Conditioning
Iron Lohan x30

Mr Punch
06-23-2007, 10:43 PM
I notice you've already given up on the shintai jiku and shiko! Is that because of time constraints (you have a serious workout eh?), lack of adequate instruction or have you discussed it with someone who told you not to bother?

As an exercise I'll put up a detailed description of how to do them when I can make enough time...

Samurai Jack
06-24-2007, 10:33 PM
As always, it is a matter of time. I don't FEEL busy, but I am having to make time at work in order to get in everything I need to do training wise. So yeah. I wouldn't say I've given it up though. I do Shiko every day I attend aikido class, and honestly, my iaido practice seems to contain much of the same moving mechanics as the Shintai Jiku exercise, so I'm trying to kill two birds by working on the new Police kata I just learned. In short, I'm bowing to time constraints at this point.

On the plus side, I am making major improvements in general at least in the last week. So I must be doing something right.

Samurai Jack
06-25-2007, 12:05 AM
After all the excuses, I saw the results of the Kimbo-Mercer fight, and felt inspired. Nothing like seeing a respectable boxer get mauled by a street thug to get you into the mindset to train harder!

I am a firm believer in being better at what I do than the other guy is at what he does.

Soooo...

6/24/07

Conditioning
Iron Palm x60
Iron Lohan x30
Suburi x100
Shintai Jiku x10 (thanks for getting on my case Mr. Punch)

Samurai Jack
06-26-2007, 12:07 AM
6/25/07

Aikido

Class #1
Irimi Backstretch
Ai Hanmi Ikkyo omote and ura (sideways)
Ai Hanmi Nikkyo (exagerated hip movement really helped me "connect")
Ai hanmi Irimi Nage
Ai Hanmi Kokyu Nage

Class #2
(I led warmups, and took ukemi.)
Kata Menuchi Tenkan Tainohenka
Kata Menuchi Ikkyo
Kata Menuchi Irimi Nage
Kata Menuchi Shiho Nage

Iaido
Advanced Conditioning Exercises
Basic cutting practice (tachi waza) for Ryuto and Giachuto
Ryuto
Giachuto

Conditioning
Iron Palm x60
Iron Lohan x30

Mr Punch
06-26-2007, 06:55 AM
Shintai Jiku x10 (thanks for getting on my case Mr. Punch)That's the way to do it!

:D

Wasn't meaning to get on your case, it's just that I'm no longer active in aiki, but I could appreciate what shintai jiku improved in me and where it applied to aiki, so I was sure it would help you with your 'connectedness problem' and wondered if it was doing...

If you can fit it in and keep it up (ideally you want to be getting to 20 or so reps a day according to my teacher) it should benefit you...

Anyway, I was going to get a detailed description of it up today, but work and baby called...

Later.

Good luck.

Samurai Jack
06-26-2007, 07:36 AM
I'm still working out the kinks on it, but I think I can see how it works. Like I said, many of our iaido movements have similar body work. I will give it an honest try.

:cool:

Samurai Jack
06-27-2007, 05:00 AM
6/26/07

Too... tired... from... yesterday's workout... (pant)... (pant)... :o

Iron Palm x60

Samurai Jack
07-02-2007, 11:42 PM
7/2/07

Aikido

Test Preparation
Nobody showed today, so I worked on Iaido Police Kata instead.

Class #1
Morote Dori Kokyu Ho backstretch
Gyaku Hanmi Chudan Kokyu Nage
Gyaku Hanmi Chudan Kotegaishi
Gyaku Hanmi Jodan Kokyu Nage
Gyaku Hanmi Jodan Kotegaishi
Kokyu Dosa

Class #2
Ai Hanmi Irimi backstretch
Ai Hanmi Ikkyo omote/ura
Ai Hanmi Nikkyo omote/ura
Ai Hanmi Sankkyo omote/ura
Kokyu Dosa

Iaido
Sensei had me set us up for Zazen tonight. We then practiced the Tachi waza versions of the first four Shoden Kata. Afterword, we sat zazen for about 20 minutes, then practiced four new tachi iai kata I havn't seen before (although all of the movements were familiar).

Conditioning
Iron Palm x60
Shintai Jiku x15

bodhitree
09-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Where've you been man?

Mr Punch
09-17-2007, 09:02 PM
?

And where is he now...? Did you just see him online or something?