PDA

View Full Version : Starting over......

xcakid
02-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Alright how many of you have started over in MA? I am sure some of you here have for one reason or another. Not liking the instructor, moved to another city/state/country, injury, etc.

I left MA about 12yrs ago and am now starting back over. Although I am less flexible, and a bit out of shape. I still seem to have the skills intact. Looking back, I seem to be collecting belts. I have studied, Sil Lum Five Animals, Ying Jow Pai, TKD, Shaolin Kempo, Kali/Arnis and now starting back up with Shaolin Long Fist. I have achieved Black in TKD and Shaolin Kempo.

Now I am getting frustrasted at starting back up from white belt. I sure could use the refresher course but wish I could move up faster and learn more advanced things that can challenge me. Am I being impatient?

How many of you have started over and feel this way?

Ben Gash
02-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Yeah, I felt like that when I first started Choy Li Fut, but I look back now and shudder at how little I actually got it. Look beyond the sequence, and analyse the mechanics and the principles of what you're doing, as ultimately that's what the advanced stuff is at the end of the day. If you're finding the basic training intellectually unstimulating then you're not thinking about it hard enough.

Knifefighter
02-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Alright how many of you have started over in MA? I am sure some of you here have for one reason or another. Not liking the instructor, moved to another city/state/country, injury, etc.

I left MA about 12yrs ago and am now starting back over. Although I am less flexible, and a bit out of shape. I still seem to have the skills intact. Looking back, I seem to be collecting belts. I have studied, Sil Lum Five Animals, Ying Jow Pai, TKD, Shaolin Kempo, Kali/Arnis and now starting back up with Shaolin Long Fist. I have achieved Black in TKD and Shaolin Kempo.

Now I am getting frustrasted at starting back up from white belt. I sure could use the refresher course but wish I could move up faster and learn more advanced things that can challenge me. Am I being impatient?

How many of you have started over and feel this way?

If you are starting a new style, you should start at the beginning.

A black belt in Judo is not a black belt in BJJ, just a a black belt in BJJ is not a black belt in Judo or karate.

Having a background in one style may or may not help one to advance quicker, depending on the particular styles.

Going back and working on the basics with beginners is a great thing to do and can benefit anyone, no matter what level.

Royal Dragon
02-12-2007, 11:16 AM
All I do is basics. Well I do the form too, but I mostly do basics.

My favorites are holding the ball, the 5 basic stances right now, and Taiji Ruler Qi Gong. I have been lifting a little bit lately, but other than that I mostly just drill some kicks and stretch in addition to what I previously listed.

PangQuan
02-12-2007, 11:18 AM
i dont believe in "starting over"

once your journey has begun, it is never over.

you may have taken a break, but as you say, your skills still seem to be present.

as a martial artist you will always have your abilities and capabilities.

its just picking backup, IMO, not starting over.

just start adding more to that game you got.

Royal Dragon
02-12-2007, 11:20 AM
HOLY SMOKES!!!
We actually agree 100% on something!! :eek:

Going back and working on the basics with beginners is a great thing to do and can benefit anyone, no matter what level.

xcakid
02-12-2007, 11:26 AM
If you're finding the basic training intellectually unstimulating then you're not thinking about it hard enough.

Hmmm....I like that outlook.

SenseiShellie
02-14-2007, 01:27 AM
Personally, I am always going back to the basics. There is always something to be gained. I have started over in other arts because I prefer it that way. I sometimes don't even say I've studied at all. Why? To get a new perspective on the basics...that's what it all boils down to.

xcakid
02-14-2007, 07:43 AM
Ya know last night, my sifu showed me a new way of practicing my material and breaking them down. Posed a new challenge for me. I like it.

And I tweaked my dang knee again. It was starting to get better too. :(