PDA

View Full Version : Shozuya Kung Fu?

zhangxihuan
02-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Hey anyone ever hear of Shozuya Kung fu in Torrance, ca?

Just wondering.. i can't seem to find any good schools in my area.. they either stress not enough form, or not enough fighting, or overemphasize fighting and not form.....
its crazy.

just curious.

they supposedly teach Five Animals style and Praying Mantis along with Taiji..

shinigami
03-14-2007, 09:25 PM
I'd also like to know if anyone has been there or knows anything about them, also has anyone heard of Shaolin Temple Kung Fu in Lomita? What do you think of them if you have?

jigahus
03-15-2007, 09:41 AM
I'd also like to know if anyone has been there or knows anything about them, also has anyone heard of Shaolin Temple Kung Fu in Lomita? What do you think of them if you have?

Forums has some pretty good things to say about the Shaolin Temple in Lomita. Do a search for shaolin in LA.

Have not heard of the one in Torrance...sorry :(

ShaoliNeophyte
04-02-2007, 11:55 AM
I trained at the Shaolin Temple Kung Fu School in Lomita for about a year and a half before I had to stop due to an injury. I've never trained anywhere else, so my opinion may be biased, but I personally loved going there. There are three types of classes there: Northern Shaolin/Mantis; Southern Five Animal; and Taichi.

I trained in the Northern class which teaches Ku Yu Chang lineage BSL as well as Seven Star and Taiji Praying Mantis. Classes typically were half hour of stretching and warm ups followed by stance training, basic drills, and techniques. Then the final half hour was usually for forms practice and the instructor would go around and do some one-on-one time with everone as time allows. Always got a great workout and learned very good techniques.

BTW, if you're interested in sparing they don't usually do that in the daily classes. Sometimes there will be back and forth techniques drills, like three kicks or punches back and forth, but rarely full on sparring. On fridays they have a fighting and weapons class though that I hear they do some full sparring with gloves and pads. I never made it to a friday though, so I can't tell you anything about it.

My suggestion would be to show up one day and try a class out. Everyone there is really friendly and there are some really talented MA's there. I'm looking forward to getting back after I'm all healed up.

www.shaolinlomita.com

ShaoliNeophyte
04-02-2007, 12:04 PM
BTW, I don't really know anything about the shozuya school other than I've seen them associated through the local community college teaching shaolin and taichi and I drove by there Kwoon once(was kind of small). I believe just a few years back she was associated with another school and after the main sifu retired she took over the classes. Don't quote me on that though :-)

Looks like they recently put up a website:
http://www.scholarwarrior.net/index.htm