PDA

View Full Version : punching with rings on?

neit
02-13-2007, 07:41 PM
ok not the most serious of threads. so i`m not looking for absolutely concrete answers. i was just thinking about the chance of really messing up your hands if you had to punch someone wearing rings.

ive seen some guys train with wedding bands on. i also imagine strikes like backfist and chops woudnt change. i could however see a superbowl ring breaking your finger upon hard contact. thoughts?

Xiao3 Meng4
02-13-2007, 07:50 PM
If I had rings on and I remembered that I had 'em on, I'd use 'em to claw and gouge more so than strike.

CSP

EarthDragon
02-13-2007, 07:54 PM
they can do more damge to your opponent then you might care to do.
everyone can get into a fight and get punched and shake hands the next time they see one another.

However if you get hit in the face with a ring it can tear the skin, cut badly deform and leave scars permanatly.

so you may want to think about this instead of what it can do to the rings.
If you have to set someone straight one night it should'nt end up in a lifetime scar on their face, plus there are law suits and revenge to think about.

I saw a kid get hit and cut by a ring in a bar fight when I was bouncing, you know that bars are local hang outs and the same people come back night after night.... well the kid who got cut up waited a few months then came back and cut the other guy with a straight razor and shouted as he was cutting now you can look at your face everyday and remember me M.F

So take them off before you fight is my suggestion to you...

Black Jack II
02-13-2007, 08:26 PM
Rings can be nasty undercover self defense tools. Go back a few pages and I have a post which showcases some rings.

neit
02-13-2007, 08:32 PM
oooh good point. not sure if the simple band type i`d go for could actually cut. but you never know. if you are voluntarily involved in a fight there should be time to take them off.

ive hit the heavy bag with my wedding band on before with no worries.

TenTigers
02-14-2007, 12:44 AM
the only reason to take them off before a fight is if they would injure YOU, not the other guy. If you are worried about inflicting too much damage to your opponent, then obviously, the stakes are not that high, and You shouldn't be fighting at all in that respect.

EarthDragon
02-14-2007, 10:21 AM
ten tigers you said.....
the only reason to take them off before a fight is if they would injure YOU, not the other guy. If you are worried about inflicting too much damage to your opponent, then obviously, the stakes are not that high, and You shouldn't be fighting at all in that respect.

I disagree but then I am older now and speaking from a teachers point of view perhaps I had a differnt point of view when I was younger.

However we all must realize that we practice and train in self-defense. This means you protect yourself from harm and use reasonable force to do so.

I watched a kid get his head stomped in the sidewalk 4 times after he was already unconscious. I dont think that was necessary to defend yourself. Nor do i think that cutting a persons face is the best way to hanfdle a situation, unless of course it is a life or death situation then anything goes, but really how fights are life and death? most of them are form ego's woman and alcohol. i know i have done security for over 20 years.

Law suits and facial scars pay and cost big money. I wouldnt want that on my conscious for the rest of my life just to say I won a fight....

TenTigers
02-15-2007, 12:43 AM
"most of them are form ego's woman and alcohol"
in which case, we as Martial Artists, should not be fighting.
We try to avoid conflict at all costs. If you can't talk your way out, then walk away.
If you can't walk, run
If you can't run, then fly. But if it is your head that may be curbed stomped, do what ya gotta do. Which would you rather be?
(btw, I am not advocating wearing rings specifically to maul someone, and I know plenty of people who do. I am speaking strictly of a him or me situation)
that being said....http://www.donrearic.com/engage.html

http://www.alhambra-shop.de/shop/english/index.html?gothic_biker_rings.htm
pretty tacky stuff right there...

neit
02-18-2007, 08:18 PM
wow, the ones in those links are a bit much. i`m just concerned about not breaking my hand. luckily i live in a city(tokyo) where there is almost no fighting outside of gyms. at least not with fists.

Mr Punch
02-18-2007, 09:14 PM
I got punched in the face with a ring in the street once and it opened my cheek up quite dramatically. Luckily it only left a miniscule scar.

If you wear big rings it will deform your hand and mess up your fist.

My wedding ring is a simple band but I take it off to train as it is sharp enough to tear.

Where do you train Neit, and what kind of 'pole'?

neit
02-19-2007, 06:51 AM
Mr. Punch, I train at "Fortis Shibuya" gym. Not far from the station.

I don`t study any pole/staff/cudgel officially yet. I do however practice some single-head and double-head pole that I had learned before. All I know is downward strike and a coiling motion. The reason I have included it on my profile is that it is my ideal main focus of study, should I have the chance.

Su Lin
02-19-2007, 07:36 AM
Freaky!!! I was having a discussion about this with my bf at the weekend.I wear a couple of large rings,that could certainly inflict damage if I were to punch someone whilst wearing them,but we concluded that it may injure me more.
As a woman,if I got attacked,tried to punch someone (which would be unlikely as I would prefer to run away,but that may not be possible) and I injured my hand,I wouldn't be able to attack or defend myself again properly.

Thing is I dont always think "Oh Im going out now I must take my rings off" ,so not entirely sure about that one.I try not to put myself in dangerous situations in the first place,I dont walk through town at night on my own etc,but yes it may happen.

Becca
02-19-2007, 08:57 AM
Freaky!!! I was having a discussion about this with my bf at the weekend.I wear a couple of large rings,that could certainly inflict damage if I were to punch someone whilst wearing them,but we concluded that it may injure me more.
As a woman,if I got attacked,tried to punch someone (which would be unlikely as I would prefer to run away,but that may not be possible) and I injured my hand,I wouldn't be able to attack or defend myself again properly.

Thing is I dont always think "Oh Im going out now I must take my rings off" ,so not entirely sure about that one.I try not to put myself in dangerous situations in the first place,I dont walk through town at night on my own etc,but yes it may happen.
More damage from blocks than from punches. I figured out the first time I had to have a ring cut off my finger to not wear them while training. (I was just a kid, so it was a dinky little fashion ring, thank god) As a young Jar head, I got to see one of my sargents' fingers peeled like a banana when his wedding ring got hung up on a weapon's rack. (sturty ring; didn't give).

You want to scare up an opponat's face? Use your finger nails. That, al least, could be called self-defence.

neit
02-20-2007, 06:54 AM
Becca, thats gruesome. :eek:

Shaolin Wookie
02-21-2007, 08:40 PM
I hate rings, man. I've been fighting my girlfriend over that issue for the past year. She insists I wear one when we get married, but I refuse. I'm not looking to cheat, I just know I'll lose it, cuz I'll have to take it off every day to train. Man, can you imagine the **** that would raise, losing a wedding ring?

And my girlfriend is mad scrappy, dude.....

:D Martial arts don't do jack when you've got a ****ed off female slapping you...and all you can do is say "I'm sorry!!" as you get whacked back and forth. You catch her hand mid-slap, and she only gets angrier, like you just assaulted her!:D

I remember I caught my mother's slap one day when I was in high school.....two seconds later she had me in a one-handed chokehold up against the wall, and I was like twice her size.

Women are a trip........they've got the devil in 'em....:D

neit
02-22-2007, 05:20 AM
yah most guys ive worked in the food industry with have some clever system of keeping their ring on a rope firmly attached somewhere on their person. i would have rather got a really cheap band in case i lose it. but i doubt the wife would share my wisdom.