PDA

View Full Version : Hidden center strategy

pilgrimsunwukun
02-13-2007, 09:00 PM
There is a quote from a Mantis sifu, or at least it was on the web site, that goes ,"The center must be hidden in a blur of movement like a dragon swimming in a cloud."

I can hide my center by changing a stance from left to right, change from one stance into another completely different stance, by changing elevations of my stance. Such can help me remain on them offensely, protect myself in defense, set up or complete throws. Those are examples of movements I can do.

I can hide my center by hitting, striking the opponent so that they're not looking at me but are looking at the ground, the ceiling, or by gettting them to blink/close their eyes. So my center can be hidden by doing something to them.

What do you think about that initial idea?

Steve

Adventure427
02-14-2007, 10:03 AM
I think you get the idea =)

EarthDragon
02-14-2007, 10:09 AM
The higher levels you reach when doing your martial arts ther are different strategies that follow.

For instance when we are begginers we block in big circles and try to race or catch up to the punch and we use and see alot of body telegraphing.

Then when we reach intermedaite levels we use smaller circles and more efficient movements and move with the punch redirecting or parrying and its harder to see and react to the slight body language.

Then after many years we learn to read the Yi of the punch and just not be there rather than race it as well your attacks and defenses are harder to read and only given up by the direction of the 3 dantiens.

It may be diffucult to understand this and what i have said at first, but many years of practice will illuminate the intent from the slightest movement, remember the move starts in the mind then goes to the center then outward to the extremidies. if you can red the "Yi" before it goes internnal then you are light speed ahead of your opponent.

RonH
02-15-2007, 10:33 AM
To add to what ED has said, you will have oppoenets that will try to read your intent before you ready yourself to act. A dragon swimming in the clouds is like a shark not being able to stop swimming or it will die. When it stops, it dies because its center can be found by what's around them, such as fisherman going after shark. The idea is to learn to also give false signals to deceive your opponent to help better read his intent.

Adventure427
02-15-2007, 07:17 PM
Dang sifu (Earth Dragon)....why didn't you just say that on my post about stances? =) Makes so much sense.

EarthDragon
02-16-2007, 06:55 AM
LOL beacuse you must learn this through practice ....... not read on internet