PDA

View Full Version : traditional ma and firearms

Black Jack II
02-14-2007, 01:17 PM
I have my own views and I am not trying to pigeon hole any system in specific as different traditional martial art instructors can vary greatly on there viewpoints.

Though there is a stereotype in certain traditional ma circles where schools claim they are teaching the full spectrum of self defense tools available, yet they do not advocate firearm education, ownership, nor recommend outside training avenues for those that wish to do so. This does not seem logical to me, actually it seems hypocritcal.

I think it could be based on bigotry or self interest on the instructors part in a number of cases to not recommend education in this field. So the question is, does your school talk about firearms education, where to get the training if desired, and its real world value in self protection?

xcakid
02-14-2007, 01:50 PM
I had an instructor whose mantra is: " A good martial artist always carries a gun cause an outside block just does not work on a bullet" :D

When I became an instructor, I use to talk about having complete knowledge of self defense including firearms and other weapons. I also knew another instructor that taught Arnis on the side as well as a LAPD SWAT and also taught PT at a tactical firearms school. I use to refer students that inquired about firearms training to him.

I am an advocate of the 2nd Ammendment. I am an NRA life member. I own numerous firearms in my collection. I take various tactical and safety firearms courses at least 2X a year. I have also shot competitively in IPSC and IDPA comps. However, the media has demonized firearms and firearm ownership, so I thread on that topic lightly. My current insturctor is a police officer, I have not asked his views on that yet.

In my personal life, I have always taught my previous GF's how to shoot and about firearms.

Yes I wholeheartedly believe that firearms is a big part in todays martial arts.

Ben Gash
02-14-2007, 01:50 PM
As possession of anything other than a single shot .22 is a crime here, and you're not allowed to carry them in public, it never really comes up.

Black Jack II
02-14-2007, 02:10 PM
I am an advocate of the 2nd Ammendment. I am an NRA life member. I own numerous firearms in my collection. I take various tactical and safety firearms courses

Same here:)

I am trying to state the question with a light touch but I believe that firearm education is a key to self defense.

As for the cop, you may be suprised, some are very anti-2nd Ammendment.

xcakid
02-14-2007, 02:38 PM
As for the cop, you may be suprised, some are very anti-2nd Ammendment.

:D Luckily I live in TX. Majority of cops here are pro 2nd Ammendment. I have a concealed handgun permit and it is sometimes known as a "get out of ticket free" card. Most cops know that if you have a CHL, you don't have a felony, outstanding warrants, and that you have passed an extensive background check. Providing of course you weren't doing anything like wreckless driving or drunk driving. :cool:

But you're right there are a select few here that only cops should have guns cause the have a badge and a whopping 20hrs of firearms training. Gonna have to pose that question to him in a roundabout way to see.

TenTigers
02-14-2007, 05:15 PM
"In my personal life, I have always taught my previous GF's how to shoot"
-ok, I was with ya up till there.;)

rogue
02-14-2007, 06:07 PM
Same here:)

I am trying to state the question with a light touch but I believe that firearm education is a key to self defense.

I love people who teach gun disarms that know zip to zilch about hand guns.

Black Jack II
02-14-2007, 06:31 PM
I love people who teach gun disarms that know zip to zilch about hand guns.

You tend to see some really complicated stuff out there. Should be kept as simple as possible.

rogue
02-15-2007, 04:55 AM
And even if that stuff works you end up with someone with a gun in their hand who doesn't know which end the round comes out of. Ugh!

xcakid
02-15-2007, 07:46 AM
And even if that stuff works you end up with someone with a gun in their hand who doesn't know which end the round comes out of. Ugh!

At my last school we had these fake guns we used for gun disarm techniques. They were pump guns and shot out a puff of powder(you can actually use any powder, talcum, flour, etc). They were great cause you would know if the technic worked. Bad part is that the powder we used was red and we wore white uniforms. :D

Anyways, we had this girl working one of the technics. She managed to disarm the person she was working with without him setting off the gun. She then, with finger on the trigger, look down the barrel afterwards. I yell "don't do that!!!" She got startled and pulled the trigger. The gun went -POOF- she had red powder all over her face. It was the funniest thing in the world.

MonkeyKingUSA
02-15-2007, 02:18 PM
As an NRA pistol instructor and CHL instructor in Ohio I push firearm safety and proficiency. And as a past sergeant (E-5) in the Northeast Ohio Defense Force I am trained with and teach the AR-15.
Here is a picture of a few members of our team in a pre-training photo with the Columbiana Co. Sheriff's SWAT team: http://www.neodf.org/page0029.html I am the bald one wearing cammies in four of the photos at that site.
Richard A. Tolson

RedLine
02-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Think about his, martial arts were "invented" much much earlier than firearms.

I will not explain nothing, i think people here are smart and can make conclusions.

Black Jack II
02-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Think about his, martial arts were "invented" much much earlier than firearms.

lol, yeah, and the horse drawn bugey was invented before the car.:cool:

btw, nice photo's monkey, thanks for sharing.