PDA

View Full Version : Internal Power Special of Kungfu Qigong Magazine

GeneChing
10-07-2001, 06:58 PM
Our current issue of Kungfu Qigong focuses heavily on Xingyi and Bagua. We used Jet Li's new movie - The One - as an excuse to highlight these two arts. Hope you like it!

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com (http://www.KUNGFUmagazine.com)

razakdigital
10-08-2001, 04:08 AM
Hello Ching,

I brought the issue and I enjoyed the article on Jet Li and your coverage of Internal Martial Arts. I have some questions...

What are your qualifications for the writers that were involved with the Internal Arts articles? Can anybody just write for the magazine? Do you have to have a school?

Thanks

EARTH DRAGON
10-08-2001, 06:00 AM
also I sent you an email a while back about my qigong teacher Yen Chu Feng, she is a very famous qigong healer in china, singapore japan, germany and now the U.S, she has been on TV in tokyo and in buffalo NY for her amazing skill and I would like you to consider writing a editorial on her and her family art of jin gon tzu li gong qi gong please let me know if you are interested one way or the other just email me thank you!

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Repulsive Monkey
10-08-2001, 11:11 PM
I don't wanna sound funny or anything, but if the article was on Internal Arts why on earth did you interview Jet Li of all people???? Why didn't you get an internal stylist?

Daniel Madar
10-08-2001, 11:57 PM
I know, I know!!!!

It's because Jet Li will be performing both governmentalized Xing Yi and governmentalized bagua in the movie "the One".

Actually, I've never seen him perform either, so I should shut up, but I did see him look dazed and confused by Li Ziming and Wu Tunan(?) in Dragons of the Orient.

Merciless is Mercy.

TaoBoxer
10-09-2001, 05:47 AM
Well.....give them a break...Jet Li isn't exactly captain internal, but publishing is abt selling copy, and he is famous. Name recognition, face recognition.... 13 y/o kids pick up the magazine. The advertisers are kept happy, they keep paying for space and it gives us a venue to see new stuff and get exposed to new martial artists. The Wing Chun article abt Augustine Fong was great. So was the one on the 11 ft pole.

razakdigital
10-09-2001, 06:54 AM
With all that information he was receiving from what is the considered the college of martial arts I guess you can't blame for looking dazed and confused. How would you look getting high level information like that?

Mr. Nemo
10-09-2001, 06:58 AM
You consider the beijing wushu team to be the college of martial arts?

EARTH DRAGON
10-09-2001, 07:13 AM
I think what dainel madar was reffering to is when jet li was video taped learning tai chi chuan from the elders in dragons of the oreint, a excellent documentary of mainly wu shu but some excellent kung fu. He looked like a kid in a candy store as the explained fa jing and wei chi to him. and yes although he is not the best person on the subject as tao boxer said it sells! why is there an article or page about bruce lee in every inside kung fu mag? it sells to the general public by the millons.

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

razakdigital
10-09-2001, 04:25 PM
When I was referring to college of martial arts I was referring to the art of Pa Kua Chang

thanks earth dragon

GeneChing
10-09-2001, 08:59 PM
But let's be honest, martial arts ain't nearly that big. Not by a long shot.

Writers only need one qualifiaction - to be able to write. This is much more rigorous than you might think. For more info, you will find our article submission guidelines posted on our website at www.KungfuMagazine.com (http://www.KungfuMagazine.com). Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "write for kfm."

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com (http://www.KUNGFUmagazine.com)

RAF
10-09-2001, 10:14 PM
Gene is right. The reader must be discriminating and that is tough. One of the best journals, The Pa Kua Journal, died. Journal of Asian Martial Arts has an impressive editorial board and review process but it spans all types of martial arts. Tai Chi magazine seems to do quite well but most of the articles are about self-promotion, very little subtance is written. Internal Arts, very short but reasonably good pieces. Journal of Chinese Martial Arts (formal Wu Gong Journal)greatly improved but lacks a good distribution Channel. Inside Kungfu and Black Belt, again, good for self promotion. Its a tough road to hoe.

What is is lacking is a magazine that translates articles from China and Taiwan. There are a lot of interesting pieces but they are not translated. The Japanese have some pretty good journals of traditional Chinese martial arts but again, they are not translated into English.

You need a magazine that combines flash, scholarly works, and translated material from China and Taiwan.

Gene is correct. Martial arts, in the U.S. population at large, is not a winner. Chinese martial arts is even more of a niche market.

Is a shame but its reality

razakdigital
10-09-2001, 11:06 PM
Gene,

Thanks for answering my question. The only qualification is to know how to write and that seems to be correct with this particular issue. Nevertheless I enjoy your magazine as always

RAF

You are correct - Pa Kua Journal had it all for the internal arts. It was a great publication.

Daniel Madar
10-09-2001, 11:17 PM
How do I look getting information like that? I think I look pretty good. But then, I have a background in dealing with the internal side of the arts, and no one is filming me. I only look that dazed when I deal with lower level "masters" who are giving instructions counter to what I learned. :)

Merciless is Mercy.

razakdigital
10-10-2001, 02:32 AM
Mr. Nemo clear up my confusion on your statement

Daniel Madar
10-10-2001, 05:30 AM
I should have read the rest of the posts.

Merciless is Mercy.

[This message was edited by Daniel Madar on 10-10-01 at 08:42 PM.]

razakdigital
10-10-2001, 06:40 AM
What is your opinion of this issue of kung fu mag? Do you think it did justice for the internals?

friendly question...

Daniel Madar
10-10-2001, 08:05 AM
I haven't had a chance to read it yet. Or buy it even. :) But thanks for reminding me I have a coupon to Barnes and noble I keep forgetting...

Merciless is Mercy.

wujidude
10-10-2001, 05:41 PM
are Yang Fukui's (with Bob Feldman) on spear/pole training, and the Wing Chun article with Joy Chaudhuri and Augustine Fong. I think it would be really interesting to train with both Yang and Fong, if those were my arts.

Razak, what do you NYC guys hear about Yang Fukui? It's interesting that, not only is he apparently in the Yang family of taijiquan fame, but he's got the same first name as the first generation of that line, Yang Luchan (a.k.a. Yang Fukui). In any event, I've seen three articles featuring him now, and they seem to indicate good knowledge of basic practices. He seems to have strong, solid postures in the photos accompanying the articles. Know anyone who's trained with him?

RAF
10-10-2001, 10:21 PM
Wujidude:

I don't want to get into history, lineages and marketing because its a real rat's nest but I met Yang Fukui on 3 separate occasions when he came to our tournament and publicly ate with us.

He is a very fine gentleman. He performed his ground fighing techiques at our 3rd annual Hall of Fame Tournament and also did his Xing Yi. It was very good. I trust Tony's take on his power and Tony (Yang) told me this guy has got real power. He was supposed to teach a ground fighting seminar this year but got delayed in New York and never made it down.

I don't know the truth about his background and I hate how we have to market traditional martial arts training in order to make a living but I really respect him. Years before I found out about his relationship with the Yang's taiji, he told us about his Grandfather teaching him much of the material besides what he learned at the University in Tianjin.

He is extremely friendly, smiling and enjoys a good beer. I liked his Xing Yi but the ground fighting techniques were brutal, having to throw yourself onto the wooden performance stage from a good 3 feet off the ground. That ain't my cup of tea but I sure can appreciate his demonstrations. ;)

razakdigital
10-10-2001, 10:52 PM
I think TBT met him but I have to find out. I've seen his pictures before but I don't ever recalled meeting him before.

I will get back to you...

Daniel Madar
10-11-2001, 06:27 AM
I bought the wrong magazine with Jet Li on the cover, but I did get to laugh at a terrible article on hsing-i.

I won't be spending the money now though.

:(

Merciless is Mercy.

thumper
10-11-2001, 06:51 PM
Oh boy. Did yall see the application in this article? How unrealistic! The opponent leaves his jab out there for the Pa Kua guy to do his thing. C'mon now, like I'm gonna leave my jab out there for you to circle me and arm bar!? I've yet to meet someone who can move that fast.
Frank Allen is another comic book hero. Do you see the pic of him in that Chinese get up? People take too far. Lose the robe man, it won't make your skills any better. I did enjoy the Wing Chun article though. And the Self Defense and Young Children article was good as well. I'll definitly be saving this issue, but only for that child safety piece.
I see Jet Li's new flick as something that's gonna boost Pa Kua's and Xing-I's popularity. What do yall think? I think that will mean a little cha-ching for all you Pa Kua teachers out there.

"...either you like reincarnation or the smell of carnations."
- Cannibal Ox

Daniel Madar
10-11-2001, 09:33 PM
I have one of those robes...

I even have a cape I used to wear. It looked cool!

I also wear a trenchcoat like Neo's, but I had it since "heathers" came out.

I'm actually afraid of what "The One" will do to internal martial arts. Anyone who picks their martial arts by the "cool factor" has a ways to go. I honestly think my style makes me look like a *******, put as long as it works, I don't think I'll complain.

Merciless is Mercy.