PDA

View Full Version : General Kung fu question

Aeturnal
02-16-2007, 01:20 AM
just so i clear this up now, this is a bit of an open ended question and is not at all meant to be a "troll" post. i say that now because i do not want this to be percieved as such, i am simply intrigued by chinese martial arts and wish to understand as much about them as i can, being that i do not have too much experience in them except from movies and the media :)

now my question is what exactly does traditional kung fu look like during sport combat? ive seen Sanda (which i know is not traditional), but what about something like traditional hung gar or mantis? am i to assume that every kung fu master in the 1800's fought like they were in a jet li movie? it seems that the skill and precision of action in such fighting would fare well in combat if one did in fact have the skills to fight as such. but that seems not to be the case as i constantly hear about traditional kung fu not being practical?....so what would traditional kung fu look like if a practicioner was fighting say a karateka? yes this is very general and i know i might be lambasted , but again its something i do not see except in movie magic so i am interested to see what traditional kung fu actually looks like in the ring or any professional sport setting.......(dont kill me, ive just seen too many chop sockey flicks!!)

SevenStar
02-16-2007, 03:39 AM
in the ring it will all look about the same.

Hitman
02-16-2007, 06:29 AM
Try Grandmaster Wong kiew kit's web site. His students can use traditional kung fu in a fight.
There is a praying mantis school in London, England. I have lost contact with the praying mantis's teacher. Both teacher and students can use praying mantis in fight.
How do I know they can use their tradition kung fu in a fight?
Answer - I had sparred with some of the students from both schools. I had also sparred with the praying mantis teacher.
There are very few schools that teaches you how to use the traditional kung fu in a fight. You have to spend time looking for them.

Hitman

Shaolindynasty
02-16-2007, 08:26 AM
Sanda isn't really a style. It's a competition format. Allof of traditional guys compete in it. Especially at Taiji legacy. Of course some styles have to adapt techniques especially for the competition. Some would say thats not traditional. Some say it doesn't matter.

Really there is no "non traditional" martial art. There are schools that train realistic and those that don't.

Look at the Ng Family Demo reel in my sig. That's how we fight and we consider ourselves "traditional".

Shaolinlueb
02-16-2007, 08:31 AM
in the ring it will all look about the same.

pretty much the best answer you will get.