PDA

View Full Version : Lao Kim

ChuangkTzu
02-16-2007, 11:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tItmXHc-qwI

I really enjoyed this clip of Lao Kim. On the old Southern Fist Forum, there was a long thread on the Hong Cha style of Kung-Fu that Lao Kim taught. There was a lot of talk about Lao Kim, Johnny Chuiten and Rene Navarro by a man originally from the Philippines, named Jopet. I do not remember his last name, but I do know he was a veterinarian. He talked about the way he was trained by Lao Kim and it was very enjoyable reading. I wish I would have printed the pages of that thread that I enjoyed the most. He did mention the names of at least five of the sets he learned from Lao Kim, and I remember one of them being a Tiger and Dragon set.

Rene Navarro wrote a very good article about his experiences training with Johnny Chuiten (Lao Kim's best student) and Lao Kim. It is available at http://www.beta-sigma.org.

Would anybody on the forum know the name of this set or the time frame when it was filmed?

If Jopet happens to come upon this thread, I would love to hear about your training experiences with Master Chuiten and Lao Kim once again.

Chuang Tzu

Laukarbo
02-17-2007, 02:28 AM
Hi,
Im the one that uploaded the clip on youtube..
I once studied for 4 months at George Ramos school in Malate,I learned a form which came from Lao Kim.Its called sap gee kuen...
I find the hung gar from Lao Kim completely different in comparison to my Hung gar...

ChuangkTzu
02-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Hi,
Im the one that uploaded the clip on youtube..
I once studied for 4 months at George Ramos school in Malate,I learned a form which came from Lao Kim.Its called sap gee kuen...
I find the hung gar from Lao Kim completely different in comparison to my Hung gar...

Laukarbo,

I want to thank you for responding and also for uploading the clip onto
youtube. I never thought I would have the privilege of seeing Lao Kim
perform. Would you happen to know the approximate year it was filmed?
Also, was it filmed by Master Chuiten?

Thanks,

Chuang Tzu

Laukarbo
02-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Hey chuanktzu,

today i have a meeting with the one who gave me the video..he probably can answer ur questions...i will post them here later.
For uploading this onto utube no need to thank me..i share everything i have cos i dont like keeping things secretely in a treasure box ..:D

ChuangkTzu
02-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Hey chuanktzu,

today i have a meeting with the one who gave me the video..he probably can answer ur questions...i will post them here later.
For uploading this onto utube no need to thank me..i share everything i have cos i dont like keeping things secretely in a treasure box ..:D

Laukarbo,

You have a great attitude regarding your treasures. I look forward to your
post later today. Thanks again!

Chuang Tzu

ChuangkTzu
03-21-2007, 01:42 PM
Hey chuanktzu,

Laukarbo,

I was just wondering if you had the meeting with the guy who gave you the
video? Please let me know if you did.

Thanks,

Chuang Tzu

Laukarbo
03-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Laukarbo,

I was just wondering if you had the meeting with the guy who gave you the
video? Please let me know if you did.

Thanks,

Chuang Tzu

Hey,
sorry for my late reply...i honestly forgot about the thread.Nevertheless I meet this guy almost daily and I indeed asked him and also I met Grandmaster George Ramos who was a direct student of Lao Kim.
The video-guy didnt know much..even he got the video from another person..This is what I found out..Lao Kim was quite poor so the cantonese association in Manila supported him with accomodations and food in return lao Kim taught his kung fu. Nobody knows where the video originally came from or who filmed it..
it was certainly filmed in the philippines. I will meet Sifu Alex Cothese days and ask him..he might know some more..

Erasmus Mingatt
03-27-2007, 02:34 PM
Lao Kim is performing some of the 2 shadow fist in the clip. At least this is what someone who has studied Hung Fut in the Philippines has told me recently.

Sorry I cannot add more..

PangQuan
03-27-2007, 02:40 PM
sorry to intrude, but this clip is amazing.

the individual performing seems to be elderly, i cannot tell for sure due to the quality. is this the case?

if so his vitality and power are increadable for someone in their winter years.

best regards

Golden Arms
03-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Yep, he is an old Hung Ga guy if I recall correctly.