PDA

View Full Version : SF Bay Area Xingyiquan

Fighting Hawk
10-08-2001, 07:15 AM
Hi. I'm looking for a serious teacher of xingyiquan in the San Francisco Bay Area, preferrably one who's focussed just on xingyi, though baguazhang would also be fine. I don't mind working my butt off.

If anyone knows of anyone, preferrably in the east bay (though weekends in SF are possible), it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Brian :D

- Build a man a fire and
he'll be warm for a
night. Set a man on
fire and he'll be warm
the rest of his life

[Censored]
10-08-2001, 10:38 PM
I know there is a SF Xing-I practice group, under Li Tai-Liang of NY. I would recommend you get in touch with Li or his school to get the group's contact info; I don't have it.

wujidude
10-09-2001, 12:25 AM
Check with the guys at EBM Kung Fu (www.kungfu.net) (http://www.kungfu.net)). They are in Oakland, and teach Sun Lu Tang's xingyiquan. They also teach other arts as well.

Joe Crandall (stma@ev1.net) knows about a number of teachers in the Bay Area. He might have a recommendation for you.

Jack Man Wong may still be teaching at Ft. Mason in SF. For contact information, check with EBM or possibly Joe Crandall.

Good luck. Xingyi is a great martial art.

stephenchan
10-12-2001, 03:41 AM
a friend and I lead an informal Xinyi practice in Palo Alto on Monday nights. For now, it is Xinyi basics, like zhan zhuang, squatting monkey, footwork, and the 5 elements. As people get better at it, we'll do more of the 2 man stuff.

None of us are Xinyi instructors (most of us come from a Taiji background) but we like it a lot, and we keep the group going to work on Li TaiLiang's material that he teaches us. If you're interested, you can contact me via email syc@onebox.com and I'll give you details.

--
Stephen Chan

Daniel Madar
10-12-2001, 09:20 AM
Last I heard Wong Jack Man was indeed still teaching at fort mason.

Merciless is Mercy.

Stranger
10-12-2001, 03:47 PM
Adam Hsu teaches Hsing i in the SF area.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

Kumkuat
10-12-2001, 05:48 PM
Adam Hsu knows Xing yi also?! Man, is he and George Hsu having a contest over there to see who knows more CMAs?

Kumkuat
10-12-2001, 05:49 PM
Hey stephen, didn't Forrest Chang move over to that part of the country? he's a xing yi guy isn't he?

Daniel Madar
10-13-2001, 12:39 AM
Is adam hsu even in the area anymore? Last time I was at his class I was told that he was spending all his time in Taiwan.

Merciless is Mercy.

stephenchan
10-15-2001, 06:35 AM
Forrest is down in So Cal, down between LA and San Diego. In East coast terms, he is about as far from the SF Bay as Miami, FL is from DC.

I know that back east, California may seem like just one big happy fault line, but its actually a pretty huge place (and lots of distinct fault lines).

Forrest was really into Xingyi, and I think he probably still practices it, but he's working a lot, and I think trying to get in some MMA training before he gets too old for that stuff.

--
Stephen Chan

Kumkuat
10-15-2001, 05:21 PM
is forrest learning bjj or stuff like that for his mma training or is he gonna try to use his xingyi and taiji?

Fighting Hawk
10-23-2001, 06:55 AM
Thank you one and all who replied to my post. I went to my first class last night. Excellent form, amazing power generation, and most of all a great rapport with the teacher.

Life is once again my friend. =)

- Build a man a fire and
he'll be warm for a
night. Set a man on
fire and he'll be warm
the rest of his life

Daniel Madar
10-23-2001, 08:14 AM
Who was it?

Merciless is Mercy.

baji-fist
10-24-2001, 02:33 AM
Adam Hsu is currently living in Taiwan. His students are maintaining his school in SF. About Sifu Hsu knowing Xingyiquan, he does. From what my sifu has told me, there was an older fellow who used to live at the Wu-Tan training hall in Taiwan. He was an expert in Hebei Xingyiquan. Grandmaster Liu Yun Qiao encouraged his students to pick up some Xingyi from this man and I believe that Adam Hsu was one of them.

You must eat bitter before you can taste sweet.

ngokfei
10-25-2001, 10:50 PM
Not to just pick on Sifu Adam Hsu but what is he actually proficient in. I've always been told that it is impossible to be proficient in numerous arts?

boy if I was to advetise all the minor systems I dabbled in I'd be laughed at and called the ultimate master. Not to sound racist but why is it okya when chinese people do this and not when non-chinese make the same claims?

eric Hargrove
ngokfei@juno.com

Fighting Hawk
10-28-2001, 04:15 PM
I contacted Joe Crandall and it turned out he runs a very small class doing xingyi and bagua. I went down and met him and he's doing the things I'm interested in learning, not just forms and qigong, but also power generation and application.

He's pretty much the teacher I've been searching for since I got into the internal side of things 12 years ago. Life is happy.

- Build a man a fire and
he'll be warm for a
night. Set a man on
fire and he'll be warm
the rest of his life

wujidude
10-28-2001, 09:33 PM
Glad you made the connection, FH.

Fighting Hawk
10-29-2001, 03:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Not to just pick on Sifu Adam Hsu but what is he actually proficient in. I've always been told that it is impossible to be proficient in numerous arts?

boy if I was to advetise all the minor systems I dabbled in I'd be laughed at and called the ultimate master. Not to sound racist but why is it okya when chinese people do this and not when non-chinese make the same claims? [/quote]

I tend to prefer someone who has great depth of knowledge in one style. As Hsu Shifu himself once said. You could climb to the top of a 30-story building or 10 floors up 3 different buildings. I tend to prefer the view from the 30 story building. It's just a matter of finding the right building to climb.

It's like this whole cross-training thing going on. No one bothers with depth any more. Seems only us Chinese stylists are doing depth when I look at the rest of the martial arts world. Why is that?

- Build a man a fire and
he'll be warm for a
night. Set a man on
fire and he'll be warm
the rest of his life