PDA

View Full Version : Yin Style Bagua (Dr. Xie Peiqi)...

baji-boy
10-09-2001, 01:07 AM
I have a few questions regarding Dr. Xie Peiqi's Yin Bagua. I was wondering, what are everyone's thoughts on this style of Bagua? I've had the chance to taste some of the Lion system, and found it very interesting but I rarely hear anything about this somewhat rare style...

Hello to all the Wutang-ers out there, it's been a while! In reference to the Ohio Tournoment, I have a pretty good excuse of why I didn't go: School and my Mom!

count
10-09-2001, 02:01 AM
Grandmaster Liu spoke highly of Xie!

Count

Kabooom.com (http://kabooom.com)

Chi Kung International (http://chikungintl.com)

http://kabooom.com/af.gif

RAF
10-09-2001, 02:29 AM
Hey Baji-boy:

The door is always open, don't sweat it. Are you a student of Richard Miller? He had a great seminar going that weekend with Dr. Xie Pie's top students.

You are always welcome to come down for seminars and the like.

Keep on stompin! ;)

baji-boy
10-09-2001, 03:51 AM
RAF- Actually, I AM a student of Richard! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to practice with him lately as I'm forced to focus on school as of now...but I do practice regularly! :D Thanks for the invite, I'll try to make it next time!

count- phew...I passed the test! ;)

Give my regards to everyone, and Happy training!

yin lion
10-11-2001, 06:19 PM
well 10 days but he is very, very good. He knows a lot about things I have never thought of. I learned dragon and some lion I think very highly of the yin fu style of bagua it's quite practial. the training methods are very differant than anything I see before. The system's most basic practious is also the most advanced. Jinbao said that there are three main types of practious circle walking, standing postures, and changes(short forms). Each of the 8 systems lion, bear, dragon... are made up of 8 postures, one(sometimes 2) is the circle walking posture. the other postures havethree applactions pluss others contained in the 7 changes; one for each of the other animals(each system contains parts of all the other systems). The changes are done while walking the circle, Jinbao said that walking in one direction without changing is where you gain the most skills(as well as in standing postures) the changes are only when you get tired or find you have a blockage in your energy. A change is just that changing direction. you can change and start walking in the other direction, or in the forms you can find 7 moves with tons of applactions. steeping methods are quite cool if you ask me. there is triangle steeping, circle(as I've mentioned), square, and straight line. all of them are different from each other but contain the same thoery. sink weight, grip floor, knees together when passing eachother, steep evenly onto foot.....

hope my rambling had an affect of some kind

you must unlearn what you have learned then and only then will you be wise and have knolage

yin lion
10-11-2001, 06:19 PM
well 10 days but he is very, very good. He knows a lot about things I have never thought of. I learned dragon and some lion I think very highly of the yin fu style of bagua it's quite practial. the training methods are very differant than anything I see before. The system's most basic practious is also the most advanced. Jinbao said that there are three main types of practious circle walking, standing postures, and changes(short forms). Each of the 8 systems lion, bear, dragon... are made up of 8 postures, one(sometimes 2) is the circle walking posture. the other postures havethree applactions pluss others contained in the 7 changes; one for each of the other animals(each system contains parts of all the other systems). The changes are done while walking the circle, Jinbao said that walking in one direction without changing is where you gain the most skills(as well as in standing postures) the changes are only when you get tired or find you have a blockage in your energy. A change is just that changing direction. you can change and start walking in the other direction, or in the forms you can find 7 moves with tons of applactions. steeping methods are quite cool if you ask me. there is triangle steeping, circle(as I've mentioned), square, and straight line. all of them are different from each other but contain the same thoery. sink weight, grip floor, knees together when passing eachother, steep evenly onto foot.....

hope my rambling had an affect of some kind :D

you must unlearn what you have learned then and only then will you be wise and have knolage

Braden
10-11-2001, 07:03 PM
Hey YL, can you share your experiences with the Dragon system for us? I'm pretty interested in Xie's stuff, particularly that kua.

wisdom mind
10-11-2001, 09:13 PM
good stuff, please do expound on the lovely dragon if you would!

yin lion
10-12-2001, 09:20 PM
I know a little more about the lion sence I've used it for a few years I don't spar yet though the tech is quite addvanced and I still have to think quite hard to do a move corectly. The system of lion is very agressive and mean. The lion is very straight forward in taking the centerline the main strike(as all the systems have) is a sweeping strike as it's one of the postuers there is three vareations of applaction one you closeline the person by hooking with your front leg moving backwards to threr front leg as you "toss a diskis" with the arm on the same side of your body the are crosses there chest or back and in helping the leg to deroot there foot sending them down and I meen down (onto there back or face). The striking surface is the forarm in the lion system and for dragon it's the heal of the palm mainly. the lion moves tend to be long and very poverful but the power is emited very quickly.
the dragon has two postuers that are grabs giving six applications and one posture that out of three one of the applications is a grab as well. giving seven basic graples I find very effective. It is a lot smaller posture wise not as opened and streched as lion, and the power is very long. In pushing(main strike of dragon system) the push is never ending you push the person with the extending of your arm but hide the strike by appling a pushing force, at any point in the strike you let go a burst of energy but still retain some pushing power and continue to press towards them. The pushing arm is never drawn back and thus contains pushing(outwards) energy. If you were to pull your arm back you are no longer pushing, and have broken the energy.

that's all the time I have for now, reply if you have questions I can try to answere with my limited knolage.

Daniel Madar
10-13-2001, 12:36 AM
Hey,

Yin Lion, do you know where the Yin study group in SF is? I did/do Ba Xing Bagua (Liu Feng Chun), and I've been interested in comparing the form taught in the yin 8 form system to my own. We also have a lion and dragon form, though they seem different in written format.

Merciless is Mercy.

yin lion
10-13-2001, 06:40 AM
I don't know where your school is but I know jinbao is going to be doing three workshops in San Francisco during Nov. It looks like there is a person in your area to contact about taking the class'. The contacts name is Chris Jeong and the phone # is (415)585-5716. There is a few different training class'

nov. 10-11 he's doing a in depth training looking at lion and the bear systems.

nov. 12-13, 15-16 doing large saber intensive (this you may have to be in a group for) I saw him teach a few of my class mates a few forms the saber is huge!

nov. 17-18 he'll be teaching phoenix one day and dragon the next

If you get a chance go to as many of the class' you can he's really skilled and a good teacher.

Daniel Madar
10-13-2001, 10:20 AM
I have a pathological aversion to "seminars", so if they are free events, I'd be delighted to attend, and will likely bring my teacher as well. If they are pay events, most likely I will pass. I'll try to contact Mr. Jeong though.

Merciless is Mercy.

Braden
10-13-2001, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the info, YL! Sounds like great stuff.

Have you played with the bear or pheonix systems at al?

yin lion
10-14-2001, 06:29 AM
I have not played eather bear or phoenix. I have seen then both but know very limited moves with both. I teacher has visited the DR. in china and learned the phoenix from him, so I've seen quite a bit of that. I've only seen jinbao do a few changes in the bear system but I like what I see.

Bear has a lit of body strikes like sholder and hip bumps, from what I've been told the bear's front is your back and vice verca. It looks like the bear is retreating, then you get hit (when you lower your gard). Better for biger framed people.

Phoenix's main strike is the dodging strike, so you can guess there is a lot of quick moves evading and then striking. Better for smaller people or ones with longer arms.

Which reminds me dragon is good for all people of all sizes and shapes, no body size gives an advantage. :D