PDA

View Full Version : spear forms

Laukarbo
02-21-2007, 05:16 AM
I recently learned a new spear form called"siu lam chin fa cheong"
in this form a lot of movements are single handed and if u use a heavy spear ,like we do ,it can be really a tireing form..good for the wrist and forearm though...
but somehow i must admit Im not a big fan of the spear..
how about you guys,do u like to play the spear? (Im talking about the chinese weapon..just to avoid some dodgy comments):D

PM
02-21-2007, 05:37 AM
Hello,

i love our Hung Kyun "spear" - Ng long's eight diagram long pole (Ng long baat gwa gwan) - drills, set, 2-man drills, 2-man set.

Laukarbo
02-21-2007, 06:07 AM
the 8 diagram pole is my favorite weapon form..in general the long pole is my favie weapon..and thats so strange cos ng long derived from the spear..
still ,playing the siu lam spear is somewhat different..oh well maybe just a matter oftime..:rolleyes:

Satori Science
02-22-2007, 09:13 AM
I play two Bak Hsing CLF/Bak Siu Lum hybrid spears that my Sifu set up based on about 5 different spears that he learned. He learned a Bak Hsing Spear from my Sigung, a Hung Sing spear from the Sifu in vancouver that taught him lion dance some Bak Sui Lum spear from Sigung Chan Woo Lueng, a bit from Tam Fei Pang and he even learned a bit of wushu spear but he swears up and down that it doesn't show in his forms,

in any event I'm a long thin dude, so I love spear and gim. They're the long people weapons. I also find for what ever reason that even with all the jumping in my forms that spear is less tiring than other weapons like broadsword. But all in all, I do Bak Hsing CLF so we work a lot of Chop Choi and "for me" the spear expresses the motion and concept of chop choi the best of the weapons I've learned and practice. That might be cause I still suck at gim though...

does anyone play double endded spear? That's on my list for one of the next weapons I learn.

gotta love the spear!!

CLFNole
02-22-2007, 09:42 AM
I love playing spear as well as single-end staff.

In my lineage we have 3 CLF spear sets (not including 2-man weapon sets) and a northern spear set that was taught to my sifu by Shek Kin. I learned a Pek Kwar (northern) spear set from Sifu Chow Keung (student of Chan Sau Chung) and I also know learned a Double End Spear form that is a bit of a northern & southern mixture.

CLF spear sets are basically cheung/kwun forms and have characteristics of single-end staff play. I enjoy the northern spear sets more as they are more difficult and demanding and have more of a traditional spear flavor.

The double-end spear is okay but I prefer the traditional spear.