PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about this Baji school?

premier
10-13-2001, 01:35 AM
I just heard there's a new baji school in town. I'm not familiar with the style or this instructor, so I can't really tell if he's good or not. So I'm asking what do you think.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/baji/introduction.htm

It's not like I'm switching school or anything. I'm just interested =)

HuangKaiVun
10-13-2001, 03:16 AM
The Chinese instructor's arm work is solid, but his stance could be stronger and deeper.

I don't know if this instructor smacks trees regularly with full body strikes the way I've seen real Baji men do, but the reality of trying to maintain a proper structure after physical contact would change his leg mechanics.

RAF
10-13-2001, 04:17 AM
Go for it!

It looks like the Huo style and if you watch the clip Bu Cuo!

I have seen An Tian Rong perform a similiar set and I think that is the xiao baji form.

I have seen all of the Wu Lianzhi's baji and this looks as good if not better!

Good luck

Daredevil
10-13-2001, 02:25 PM
Having seen this teacher demonstrate Baji (and Taijiquan), I can say he is very impressive. You have to see it for yourself, though, don't take my word for it nor except the clip on the 'net as the final word (even if it is okay). I strongly recommend coming to the next demo.

premier
10-13-2001, 05:06 PM
Yeah. I'd go, but I can't because I'll be running around in the woods with my assault rifle and rocket launcher next week =) Lovely outdoor life.

MonkeySlap Too
10-14-2001, 11:46 PM
Could be Zhang family style too - this looks a lot like 'Monkey King Leaves The Cave' from Zhang style.

But I could be wrong. I'm not completely familiar with the different 'flavors' of Baji.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

Daredevil
10-15-2001, 01:57 AM
There's different lineages in Baji? Didn't know about that, but then again there's varied lineages in all styles.

What're the main ones and what're the key differences?

les paul
10-15-2001, 02:38 AM
Looks solid to me. I'm not an expert on Baji, and I don't like to make comments about videos. However, I saw fluidity, good fa-jing etc. (the normal things you would expect to see from a qualified teacher)

MonkeySlap Too
10-15-2001, 08:51 PM
Yeah there are. Liu Yun Chiao (sp?) is obviously the biggest exporter of Baji, but it appears there are several 'family' styles as well as 'villiage' styles.

The guy I trained under so briefly I won't mention his name studied two different 'family' styles. His 'flavor' was distinctly different from what I have seen from the Taiwan group, and it definitly was NOT the modern wushu 'style'.

Kinda neat. I suppose it will be like Shuai Chiao, where you mostly see Chang Tung Sheng's students, but here and there you find somebody from a different lineage doing a *different* interpretation.

I loved the stuff, I was bummed when he moved away.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.