PDA

View Full Version : REVISED Shaolin Encyclopedia!

Sal Canzonieri
02-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Just got the Revised Shaolin Encyclopedia by Shi De Qian! 2volumes, over 2,000 pages. Conctrating on the forms and the history of the forms, rather than the other stuff that was in the 4 volume version.

Forms (most of them) are shown new with b&w Photos, very clear and many corrections were made to the forms from the previous edition.

Just got it in the mail today. Took less than a week to arrive here, though they said it would be 4-6 weeks! Came directly from Shi De Qian's school.

I'm very happy with they way they cleaned up the forms and made them much more comprehensible!

Shaolin Wookie
02-23-2007, 05:54 AM
Is it still only in Chinese, or is there an English language version?

jason.
02-23-2007, 06:56 AM
how / where can i buy one?

Sal Canzonieri
02-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Is it still only in Chinese, or is there an English language version?

Still in Chinese.

Alas.

Sal Canzonieri
02-23-2007, 10:30 PM
how / where can i buy one?

There are various places selling them for over $300 a set, which is too much.

The cheapest and fastest place to get them from is direct from the source:
http://www.shaolins.com/2encyclopedia/

You can use paypal to order from that site.

Shaolin Wookie
02-24-2007, 06:09 AM
don't have that kind of cash right now......but if I cannot read chinese (working on that soon), would the investment be worth it?

ngokfei
02-24-2007, 08:43 AM
Don't you think its time to learn? If its important to your training/research.

Got the 4 volume set and it contains a plethora of information. Still haven't gotten through 1/3 of it yet.

Sal. How clear are the photos (who's demonstrating)

Shaolin Wookie
02-24-2007, 10:50 AM
Waitin' to learn, waitin' for grad school/scholarships/fellowships/assistantships .... see if I can learn for free. Otherwise, I'll just buy the college textbooks off an online seller and learn it myself. Taught myself level 3/4 French in independent study during my last two years of college......I figure it's not that much harder, just without hte grades. But the whole writing thing......that's different. No alphabet....and pictographs get me all fudged up.....

Sal Canzonieri
02-24-2007, 05:50 PM
Don't you think its time to learn? If its important to your training/research.

Got the 4 volume set and it contains a plethora of information. Still haven't gotten through 1/3 of it yet.

Sal. How clear are the photos (who's demonstrating)

If you are just interested in the forms and qi gong stuff, and the monk's history this new two volume set is best for you to get.

The photos are very clear and they are all revisions of the forms in the previous editions. They spent a lot of time and energy to compare how the forms were being done by descendants of Shaolin monks (from the 1928 diaspora) from around the country and they corrected the forms.
I think it is really worth it getting this edition, if you are going to use it to research the forms and so on.

Not all the forms are now photos but they are a major part.

Also, the forms have been rearranged in a more logical order, AND knew ones were added.

What's a strange thing to me is that a while back I made a long comparison list between all the books and videos and vcds out of Shaolin forms and I compared all the Louhan and related forms and shows how they were ALL wrong in some way or another. I posted this long comparison here and at many other Shaolin discussion groups.
Well, coincidence(?) but all the ones I mentioned have been revised!
And, new ones have been added.
The Luohan section is worth the price of the book itself!
I've never seen a complete set like this before in such books from China.

I dont know who is doing the forms, it is 3 different people.

I've seen one of them before in either the vcds by Liu Zhen Hai and Si Yan Ci (Liu Zhen Hai learned Shaolin styles from Shi Degen (1914-1968), one of the last old generation warrior monks of Shaolin Temple.

Royal Dragon
02-24-2007, 05:54 PM
Are the Tai Tzu 1,2 & 3 all in there?

Sal Canzonieri
02-24-2007, 06:22 PM
Are the Tai Tzu 1,2 & 3 all in there?

Nope, unfortunately.

There must be a reason they are keeping that under wraps.
It's still listed in the "lost forms" section.

jason.
02-26-2007, 08:44 AM

Thanks a lot! :)

GeneChing
02-27-2007, 10:43 AM
That's very interesting. I'll have to pick up a copy. Thanks for the heads up, Sal.

Shaolin Wookie
02-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Shaolin likes money.....they need it to fund their studies, lifestyle, schools, right?

Why in the hell wouldn't they contemplate a translation? I'm probably gonna get a Mandarin one anyway....as I learn foriegn languages better when I've got a goal (ex: learning French to read Dumas in his native tongue). Plus, there's pretty pictures, right?

Anyways......an English translation would probably get a large revenue, wouldn't it? And it would spark interest in Shaolin, right?

GeneChing
02-27-2007, 11:16 AM
The Shaolin Encyclopedia is from Shi Deqian, who is a former monk of Shaolin. The profits from the Encyclopedias don't go to Shaolin Temple. They go to Deqian. Deqian now runs his own private school on the western edge of Dengfeng City.

I just did an article on him, The Shaolin Scribe: Shi Deqian and the Shaolin Encyclopedia, in our 2007 Shaolin Special (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=687). If you check out that article, Deqian discusses his issues with English translations of his work. He was ripped off a long time ago by an English translator and it has left him bitter and wary.

Shaolin Wookie
02-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Well, we westerners are some unscrupulous *******s, when we start ripping off monks.....:o

Sal Canzonieri
02-27-2007, 03:23 PM
The Shaolin Encyclopedia is from Shi Deqian, who is a former monk of Shaolin. The profits from the Encyclopedias don't go to Shaolin Temple. They go to Deqian. Deqian now runs his own private school on the western edge of Dengfeng City.

I just did an article on him, The Shaolin Scribe: Shi Deqian and the Shaolin Encyclopedia, in our 2007 Shaolin Special (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=687). If you check out that article, Deqian discusses his issues with English translations of his work. He was ripped off a long time ago by an English translator and it has left him bitter and wary.

Boy, I'd love to translate it into english!
And I wouldn't rip off the guy! I revere him!

GeneChing
02-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Talk to Deqian. He's very approachable. He asked us if we wanted to do it, but it's too big of a project for us in terms of financial investment and return.

Sal Canzonieri
02-27-2007, 03:27 PM
That's very interesting. I'll have to pick up a copy. Thanks for the heads up, Sal.

The photo versions of the forms are so great, it is well worth it for that alone.
Also, many of the forms that I know have missing moves now added that really seem to help the flow of the forms.
I was pretty surprised to see them.

I'd say the first 2/3 of the previous edition had the drawings replaced with photos.
The rest have been colored while drawings still the same, some with corrections.

Sal Canzonieri
02-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Talk to Deqian. He's very approachable. He asked us if we wanted to do it, but it's too big of a project for us in terms of financial investment and return.

Does he read/speak english?

I'm impressed how I got the books in less than a week, when I was told it was going to take 4 week at least.

ha, ha, maybe he likes my articles?

GeneChing
02-27-2007, 03:35 PM
It's strictly Dengfenghua with Deqian. I'm curious as to that supplier. Santa Cruz PO Box? My old martial brother Ted Mancuso's Plum Publishing is based in Santa Cruz, but this seems unconnected.

oasis
02-27-2007, 05:03 PM
i cannot remember the guy's name, as i had bought the encyclopedia's about 2 years ago. he was an older and friendly gentleman that called me back after i emailed him at the address listed on this website. so you can contact him for more details about how you supplies it.

it would be nice to see the updated version, but now that i'm in choy lay fut i think i can save my cash and hold off on the shaolin research for now ;)

kingboxer
11-24-2007, 04:51 PM
I am auctioning on ebay the 4 volume shaolin encyclopedia. Like new, with no missing pages.

anyone interested please visit, search Shaolin or member ID yinggong. 9 days left in auction.

Thanks

kingboxer:D

ittokaos
11-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Is it all in chinese?

bawang
11-24-2007, 05:34 PM
you can read it for free online.

kingboxer
11-24-2007, 05:35 PM
Yes,

Illustrated forms covering dozens of barehand and weapons forms, excellent translation material.

Kingboxer

kingboxer
11-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Where is it posted online?

Kingboxer

:confused:

bawang
11-24-2007, 05:52 PM
why would you buy the shaolin encyclopedia for pictures of forms? its useless unless you can read chinese, the written stuff are fantastic

kingboxer
11-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Excellent translation and reference material

:D

kingboxer
11-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Cost new from china, $300 to $360, my current bid $75. nice savings

bawang
11-24-2007, 06:50 PM
bury it for a year or two and put mold on it so it looks old, wrinkle the pages a little then you can sell an ancient shaolin manual for big money. i hope you bought it for 300 RMB, if you paid 300 dollars for that you got ripped off badly.

Lucas
11-27-2007, 11:00 AM
I think hes saying thats the average going price. My guess is he got it for less than 75$

kingboxer
11-27-2007, 03:53 PM
It sells new for $300 to $360 for the 4 volume set. I think there is a 2 volume set for $275, i'm not sure

kingboxer

Sal Canzonieri
12-03-2007, 01:47 PM
you can read it for free online.

Where? No you can't. Only the table of contents is online for both versions of the sets of books.

bawang
12-03-2007, 03:37 PM
it's technically not free, you have to pay a membership fee to beijing online library, then you can read all of its books online, including shaolin encyclopedia.

here is a sample, i googled it
http://www.wushu-health.com/wushudianji/shaolinquanpu.htm

Royal Dragon
12-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Really? I wish I could read Chinese, I'd sift through and copy everything related to the Tai Tzu Chang Chuan system. Then I wouldn't need to buy the whole set, just what I am interested in.

Crushing Step
10-21-2012, 12:16 PM
This post seems about five years too late... Back in the day I was a member of Cyberkwoon. One thing that Fabien used to have available for download was these PDF's of shaolin forms. I recently came across a collection for download on torrent, so I grabbed it for old time's sake.

My question is, has anyone tried to work out these forms? I am also curious as to what exactly they are, and where they came from.

JamesC
10-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Wow... I remember joining that sight probably over ten years ago. Maybe longer because I think it was wen I first got into martial arts as a kid. The Shaolin form drawings are familiar to me. I think I've seen at least comparable drawings in a book somewhere. I'd be interested to learn their origin as well.

bawang
10-23-2012, 04:19 PM
i think they scanned from shaolin encyclopedia

SHemmati
10-24-2012, 07:36 AM
The line drawing forms in the PDF files available in cyberkwoon.com are extracts from the 4-volume set of "Encyclopedia of Shaolin Martial Arts" by monk Shi De Qian. Those barehanded forms are from the 2nd volume.

Crushing Step
10-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Very cool to know. I've always thought thy were interesting to look at, though I never tried to work through them. I imagine they would be good reminders for people who already knew the forms.

Hanak
10-25-2012, 05:26 AM
Can somebody who have those books, scan a few pages from it and show me once an example?

Thx

Songshan
10-25-2012, 05:47 AM

broken link :(

ngokfei
10-28-2012, 02:24 PM
here are some links to where you can still buy the 4 volume original sets.

http://shop.shaolingongfu.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=99

I don't know if these links still work for content material
http://www.biblio.nhat-nam.ru/shaolin1.pdf
http://www.biblio.nhat-nam.ru/shaolin2.pdf
http://www.biblio.nhat-nam.ru/shaolin3.pdf
http://www.biblio.nhat-nam.ru/shaolin4.pdf

SHemmati
11-01-2012, 08:54 AM
http://www.biblio.nhat-nam.ru/shaolin4.pdf

thanks, a very good website. but the 4th link is a mislabeling, it is not the 4th vol, but it is only an extraction of the last sections of the 3rd vol, which are on the rare and hidden Shaolin weapons.

SHemmati
11-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Encyclopedia of Shaolin Martial Arts, 4 volume set + searchable text & English index bookmarks (read or get online): (http://www.scribd.com/collections/4133108)

1. Encyclopedia of Shaolin Martial Arts (少林寺武术百科全书) vol.1/4: Shaolin history and culture (少林护身暗器秘传)

2. Encyclopedia of Shaolin Martial Arts (少林寺武术百科全书) vol.2/4: Shaolin boxing (少林拳术图解)

3. Encyclopedia of Shaolin Martial Arts (少林寺武术百科全书) vol.3/4: Shaolin weapons (少林兵器总谱)

4. Encyclopedia of Shaolin Martial Arts (少林寺武术百科全书) vol.4/4: Shaolin skills (少林绝技) (no pages 3-18)