PDA

View Full Version : MMA sub-forum?

CaptinPickAxe
02-24-2007, 04:59 AM
It would save the mods a whole helluva lot of trouble if you'd just give us a MMA sub-forum. That way we have a place dedicated to bickering about MMA vs. TMA and TMA used MMA. Gene...make it happen;)

David Jamieson
02-24-2007, 05:19 AM
it's called other related arts.

people don't seem to get that though. and they will constantly come back to this forum to discuss everything from videos of parachuting, to why the iraq war is a crime against humanity to trying to find martial training value from posting snuff films. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't put on a sock puppet forum to produce a sub forum for tea kettle polishing.

IMO this is a kungfu forum for and about kungfu. mma is only a tiny aspect of the world and has many forums dedicated to the subject.

besides people who bring bickering arguments about it here are just trolls. Most serious practitioners appreciate all aspects of all martial arts without having to put up with pugnacious and beligerent folks who impose their views for whatever reasons on others.

Shaolin Wookie
02-24-2007, 06:19 AM
Yeah, but when none of the whiny kung-fu guys went there to pick a fight, the MMA guys would come back to these forums to pick on the nerds......

David Jamieson
02-24-2007, 06:56 AM
I don't think it's about mma guys vs kungfu guys, it's about individuals who simply take to the activity of arguing on internet forums.

I train with anybody in any style. I don't care much for purists because there is an inherent flaw in purism. I don't care for lineage nit pickers and I don't care for mma absolutists.

It's all good and anybody who actually practices knows this. that's why it's easy to say that lineage nit pickers and mma nit pickers are not really actually training in anything but nonsense.

people who copy and paste other peoples ideas to support their narrow views are ...well, they're idiots to begin with. :p

shuaichiao
02-24-2007, 07:34 AM
It would save the mods a whole helluva lot of trouble if you'd just give us a MMA sub-forum. That way we have a place dedicated to bickering about MMA vs. TMA and TMA used MMA. Gene...make it happen;)

Wouldn't the least amount of trouble come from the mma guys simply going to an mma forum?

Shaolin Wookie
02-24-2007, 08:57 AM
They cross train in MMA. Only makes sense they're going to cross-train in KFM.

Oso
02-24-2007, 09:15 AM
nope, not if I can't have my martial arts business forum.

Vash
02-24-2007, 08:25 PM
Jeet Kune Do Forum (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)

Meat Shake
02-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Wouldn't the least amount of trouble come from the mma guys simply going to an mma forum?

Who do you train shuai chiao with?

And to answer your question. I trained Shuai chiao for a few years with Sifu Kirk Woeller under Master John Wang and occasionally Master David Linn. (Not the fraud from ATL)
And with kirk we often trained ground and muay thai style clinch work.
MMA is indeed intelligently trained TMA.
Shuai Chiao is traditional.
Muay Thai is traiditional.
BJJ is not quite, but none the less effective.
Kung fu is mastering an art, Kung Fu is time and practice, and this is a kung fu forum. MMA in this essence, is indeed kung fu.

shuaichiao
02-25-2007, 09:20 AM
Who do you train shuai chiao with?

And to answer your question. I trained Shuai chiao for a few years with Sifu Kirk Woeller under Master John Wang and occasionally Master David Linn. (Not the fraud from ATL)

I trained primarily with Huang Shao Dong, a little with Liang Shao You, and I spent a few months in China and trained with Zhang Fang.

I thought the guy in Atlanta was the real deal and the guy in NY was the joke! I know a lot of people who are going to be p***ed off to find out other wise.

I got no problem with cross training or people who choose non cma but in response to the initial post if people post here just to brag about how great they think mma is they should just find an mma forum.

B-Rad
02-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Isn't the guy in Atlanta the real deal? At least that's what I've heard from pretty much... everyone who does Shui Jiao :p Or did I get them mixed up?

Oso
02-25-2007, 06:21 PM
i'm pretty sure that

http://www.combatshuaichiao.com/acsca.html#wu

is the legit guy

i attended a seminar of his in 97-98 here in NC

a typo by MS for sure as Sifu Kirk is on the page there with Master Lin and Master Wang

Meat Shake
02-25-2007, 07:42 PM
Yeah, woops. My apologies to the real deal.
I got too much sh*t on my mind to remember where lin lives.
And yes, that is the one and only kirk. Attitude like a surfer, throws like a **** bull.

Anyhow...
Shuai chiao, that wasnt a challenge just a question. And MMA people dont think they are that great, they just realize that a lot of CMA that is taught and people bost as "the ultimate real deal" is fundamentally flawed and the part of the point of forums like these are to bicker about it. Its what people like me do when we have a few free minutes and we are bored, and if there was an MMA forum, there wouldnt be people picking on the TCMA guys here quite so much.
Wow... Lots of blanket statements in there....

That shuai chiao page makes me sad. I miss those guys.
Lin is a little guy, but he moves like the wind and hits like a train....

Oso
02-25-2007, 08:31 PM
yes, I remember Master Lin as smallish. but, there was this white dude that was even smaller...a regular little gorilla though...he did most of the hands on with us at that seminar.

CaptinPickAxe
02-26-2007, 12:14 AM
We should go elsewheres? What a "Closed-Door" attitude. Very stereotypical to TMA. Some of these hardcore "practitioners" are too worried about what's better and fail to see we have a lot to learn from eachother. I believe MMA should be welcomed to this forum because, in essence, it's perpetuates the arts. It's keeping them alive by showing it to the world. I'm talking Martial Arts, not Kung Fu, BJJ,TKD,KKM,etc.

DJ, everyone knows that the ORA is for vandals and perverts.

Vash
02-26-2007, 04:27 AM
DJ, everyone knows that the ORA is for vandals and
perverts.

w00t!

but Seriously, the JKD Forum would cover this . . .

GeneChing
02-26-2007, 04:23 PM
I usually think I should move them to ORA, JKD or SF/R, but then I get lazy and don't bother. It's the current big thing in MA, so it feels better here in the main forum. At least, that's the excuse for my laziness.

Mr Punch
02-26-2007, 05:39 PM
The JKD forum for MMA? Why on earth would that make sense?

Given that probably every style under the sun who has some grandmaster say that cross training is the way forward (including Wong Shun Leung who first instilled this in Bruce Lee) and also given that a lot of JKD seems to have as many lineage quarrels, McKwoons and dead training drills as many of the more traditional arts, why should MMA go there?

Not ranting, just a question.

BTW, personally I think it would be great if MMA threads were all moved to ORA. That's what it's for, and the 'general' and 'kung fu' threads could stay on the main board... and with two such active boards you'd probably get more traffic and more traffic means... more customers... right Gene?! ;)

GeneChing
02-26-2007, 06:25 PM
If you're looking for sense on a MA forum, you'll be disappointed. :p

Moving threads into different forums is really for the peace of mind of the moderators - or sometimes just a way to pass the buck. It doesn't affect our traffic nor our customers. And many are hard to classify, like does the 'how would Bruce do in the Octogon?' question - is that main forum or JKD or media or what? I'm Californian, so I prefer the organic method of web organization. I don't kill weeds with pesticides and I let some fruit go back to seed. Same with the forum.

Mr Punch
02-26-2007, 06:54 PM
Fair enough.

It is a hippy forum after all! :D

But surely if you have two thriving boards (the main and ORA) you'll get more hits!?

As for 'Bruce in the Octagon' it would be general: it's hypothetical and therefore general nonsense!

SifuAbel
02-26-2007, 07:27 PM
'how would Bruce do in the Octogon?' .

Didn't he already star with Chuck Norris once already? Why prolong the agony of bad acting. :D

Shaolin Wookie
02-27-2007, 07:51 AM
I'm Californian, so I prefer the organic method of web organization. I don't kill weeds with pesticides and I let some fruit go back to seed. Same with the forum.

But as a Californian, I bet you hate it when you get a bunch of seeds in your weed, right?;)

unkokusai
02-27-2007, 09:38 AM
Hey, abel could have a lot to contribute after his big up-coming fight!

unkokusai
02-28-2007, 08:21 AM
Ooops, never mind. Looks like he backed out again.

unkokusai
02-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Really shamelessly too. Wow.

unkokusai
03-16-2007, 04:32 PM
............................................wow.

sunfist
03-17-2007, 06:38 PM
In terms of caring sharing and learning from each other, I fail to see how segregation would further that goal at all.

Were it the awful truth that MMA people actually came here for a bit of sport (pardon the pun) in arguing with the more whacked out members of the CMA community, putting them in seperate forums would still make no sense :p

Meat Shake
03-17-2007, 11:24 PM
"I'm Californian, so I prefer the organic method of web organization. I don't kill weeds with pesticides"

Gene kills weeds with papers and a lighter.

drleungjohn
03-20-2007, 08:46 AM
Greetings ,my name is John Crescione and have been a member for a short time as compared to sum-

Would you consider/adding a forum on Throwing,Grappling,Groundfighting since the Chines Martial Arts include that-???

Thank you

GeneChing
03-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Not just here, but also with the forum that sticky here now (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45469). For the record, we are seriously considering it.

But the way things are going here on the main, I'm thinking a GENE forum might be more useful...;)