PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Broadsword techniques

hskwarrior
02-24-2007, 11:36 AM
I've been doing a lot of CLF comparison on youtube lately, which brought me to the question i'm about to ask.

Via youtube I've noticed most CLF schools-although the sets are different-have the same techniques.

My question is this, are there sword techniques inherent to CLF, and CLF only?

if so, what is CLF flavor while doing these sword sets that differ from other styles?

Frank

shuaichiao
02-24-2007, 12:31 PM
I only know one CLF sabre set but I don't see any really unique techniqes in it.

The Xia
02-24-2007, 06:20 PM
What about the flavor of Choy Lay Fut lightsaber sets? :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3ENt65c2Kc

CLFNole
02-24-2007, 09:48 PM
I can't believe that made it on to Youtube, that was just some screwing around one day after doing a seminar. It took Joe a long time to make it look like lightsabers.

On to Franks question. Frank: I am not sure about all CLF doing broadsword the same but personally I think it is more of a southern style thing rather than just a specific style. I have seen other styles like hung gar, hung fut and jow gar do broadsword and you will see the same similarities in techniques.

Watching northern broadsword sets is where you will see a different flavor.

Olaf
02-25-2007, 01:12 AM
I heard from a sifu who trained in Hongkong that their CLF didn't have weapon sets in the past and the weapon sets that are around now were borrowed from other systems like praying mantis.

David Jamieson
02-25-2007, 06:29 AM
my personal observation is that the shape of the blade, it's weight and form, will dictate it's correct functions.

hate to sound all text book, but dao techniques will have aspects that are same/same across the board and across the styles.

parrys/draws/lifts/drops/thrusts ...and so on.
How these are carried out is determined by the shape of the weapon.

I think the differences in techniques will not really be about the weapon, but in the ways of advancing and retreating, evading and rerouting.

linear v. circular type stuff. but big knife is mostly a hack and slash kind of weapon and teh techniques will all revolve around that for the most part.

CLFNole
02-25-2007, 08:18 AM
I agree the techniqiues are all generally the same a there are only so many ways to cut and block, but northern broadsword definately has a different flavor or feel than southern.

ftgjr
02-25-2007, 08:35 AM
I have only learned one broadsword form, the Hang Yuet Darn Do (moon flow single broadsword) but from watching other styles, I can see many of the same techniques. The biggest difference I see is that northern style seem to have a lot more flash and flowery moves. I can definitely see many more hand and knife techniques in Southern styles.

I think each weopon has it's limitations due to design and weight. A few years ago I studied Aiado and that weopon has it's own techniques due to its own dynamics. That was the most intense weopons training I have ever endured.

ngokfei
02-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Having trained and seen sets from both northern and southern styles I don't particularly see differences in techniques that exist in both.

But yest the nature, flow or spirit of the sets are very different. Most definetly tied to the particular style/foundation that the set is being performed in.

ngokfei
02-25-2007, 10:15 AM
this was a really good thread on the Dao

http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/index.php?showtopic=8377

hskwarrior
02-25-2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks folks, let's keep it going.

Anyways, just like the comparison between northern and southern swords, i've also realized this about CLF. While ALL CLF schools contain the basic ten seeds of CLF, we all basically execute them in the same way, one of the major differences is that CHan Family CLF throws in hella techqniques (instead of one chop, throw 6 or 7 while the buk sing and hung sing branches tend to be more on the lines of "ONE HITTER QUITTERS."

so CLf NOLe, in your opinion what is it that northern broadswords have in their way that differs to southern? what are some of the more difficult aspects that you previously mentioned?

it's your fault now, i'm going on a trip to compare northern and southern swords.

report my opinion later

CLFNole
02-25-2007, 12:41 PM
I never said anywhere where northern broadsword was more difficult than southern. Personally I find southern more practical and have seen some rather "interesting" moves in northern forms. ;) I don't think either is more difficult than the other as the generally have the same main techniques aside from nothern splits, not sure how useful that one is to begin with but hey whatever.

I have always felt northern is generally better for gim and spear while southern is better for staff and broadsword. Not trying to offend anyone it's just my opinion.

hskwarrior
02-25-2007, 01:07 PM
sorry, for some reason i was under the impression you felt northern was more difficult than southern, but it's of no matter anyway.

About your last comment, do you feel that northern gim and spear are better to perform or for usage or both?

I won't be offended since i don't usually carry around a spear or gim with me;) where ever i go.

CLFNole
02-25-2007, 01:34 PM
Performance really comes down to the individual.

Spear is more well known in the north, whereas long staff is more well known in the south. Southern spear forms are very akin to our staff forms and share the same style and techniques. Northern spear is more extended, flexible and quick. I feel northern spear is more developed just the same as I feel southern long staff is more developed.

I think in terms of gim that the northern styles really understand the usage of the wrist and their techniques utilizing the wrist are superior to southern gim. In truth southern styles don't have many gim sets and it was never a primary weapon of the south, that is why you will see more butterfly knives and broadsword sets. Development of weapons is somewhat of a regional thing and both north and south have equal merit.

I think what I am trying to get at is some weapons are more developed in the south and others in the north.