PDA

View Full Version : barehanded fighting rings in china? true or false?

zhangxihuan
02-26-2007, 08:39 AM
Ok, here is a quick question...

some people have claimed that they fought in bare handed fighting rings in China... if this is the case, isn't it illegal, and moreover a "cage" fight" without any ligit certification by the Chinese government?
:confused:

Shaolin Wookie
02-26-2007, 08:54 AM
Sounds like Frank Dux Kumite stuff.........

zhangxihuan
02-26-2007, 08:55 AM
probably...

Shaolin Wookie
02-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Falun Gong is wishy washy internal stuff......no cage fighting....and look what the PRC did to them....

SPJ
02-26-2007, 10:02 AM
San Da is a better format.

they tried bare hand or with garden gloves on to avoid scractching or pinching from nails in the 80's at Kuo Shu meet in Taiwan.

a lot of "fatality" or injuries occured. not a pretty picture.

they quickly changed the rules the very next year.

--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhOQq-n32yk&mode=related&search=

:eek:

Shaolin Wookie
02-26-2007, 10:28 AM
There was an American guy who made up a martial art called Cheng Hsin and wrote an interesting book based on it......Peter Ralston....who said he was in the last full contact martial arts tournament in China, and he was the first non-Asian guy to win it.

I've run searches everywhere to find info on that tournament, and on Peter Ralston. I couldn't find anything.

I'm not saying it's BS, 'cuz I don't know. But why isn't there info on it? Anyone know?

The book actually has good training/rooting tips. I've never actuallly "seen" Cheng Hsin though. It sounds like a bunch of internal arts bundled together. But if he won a full contact tourney with it....it would seem legit, right?

zhangxihuan
02-26-2007, 11:03 AM
thats interesting....my first instructor claimed to "win" at a so called "bare handed fighting competition" bunch of crap eh?

i thought it sounded fake to begin with... then again it seems like I went to a really whacky place 1st time around.

what year did they stop these so called tournaments?

Shaolin Wookie
02-26-2007, 11:10 AM
I think Ralston said he did it in the late eighties/early nineties.

He made it sould like a huge international competition.......which is why I thought it was wierd I couldn't find anything on it. Again: not saying it's not true. I want info on it b/c I find it interesting, and think it would make interesting reading.

He said the last one before his had to be stopped when the competition pool dwindled down to the last thirteen fighters. There were numerous fatalities, and they didn't want any of these best and finest MA's in asian martial arts to kill each other off, as it would be a huge loss of martial knowledge.

Shaolin Wookie
02-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Personally, I think these guys might just be "blowing up" the venue, know what I mean? Like, maybe they won the SanShou or SanDa events at a national or local tournament or something....

GeneChing
02-26-2007, 04:11 PM
They are usually illegal because no one wants to have any one die in their ring. Take it from me, it's a ***** to bury a body. But in many countries, especially communist Russia and China, unsanctioned or illegal events exist. Challenge matches, although officially discouraged, still occur regularly in China. It's just not something you hear about much because no one wants to bring the attention of the law upon such proceedings.

This being said, most of these matches are more like street scuffles or low level smokers than Enter-the-Dragon-kick-Bolo-in-the-crotch-to-win matches. I'm particularly skeptical of foreigners claiming to have participated in these because like I said, it's a ***** to bury a body. It's even a bigger ***** to bury the body of a foreigner in China. No fight promoter wants that responsibility, no matter how much they make selling tickets at the door.

PangQuan
02-26-2007, 04:33 PM
look at gene own you all with his common sense again.

noobs

lkfmdc
02-26-2007, 05:10 PM
like I said, it's a ***** to bury a body. It's even a bigger ***** to bury the body of a foreigner in China.

That's why, when I was in Shanghai, we just threw them in the river, oh, wait, I've probably said too much......

GeneChing
02-26-2007, 06:27 PM
...makes for a good crab harvest down stream, doncha know?

Yum Cha
02-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Whattt?????

Don't you guys eat your enemies????

I thought you were "traditional"....... :(

SanHeChuan
02-26-2007, 06:41 PM
I think that Peter Ralston guy has a commune where he teaches kung fu outside of Austin. A dude from my kung fu class was telling me about him. He said he was bald? with a big funny mustache, and wore a big scarf that he would hide his hands in. Dude said he was very fluid though. I imagined the guy from Mythbusters, but you can see what he really looks like here.

http://www.chenghsin.com/

VIDEO III: FIGHT-PLAY-DEMO

The "Fight" aspect is footage from Ralston's first fight in the 1978 World Tournament. The quality of the video is terrible. It is still visible, however, and you might find it interesting.

It looks like you can buy a video of his fights from that toury.

Some of his clips look very akido-ish.

LeeCasebolt
02-26-2007, 08:36 PM
But in many countries, especially communist Russia and China, unsanctioned or illegal events exist.

I would be stunned if there were a country in which unsanctioned or illegal events didn't exist.

Shaolin Wookie
02-26-2007, 09:45 PM
I think that Peter Ralston guy has a commune where he teaches kung fu outside of Austin. A dude from my kung fu class was telling me about him. He said he was bald? with a big funny mustache, and wore a big scarf that he would hide his hands in. Dude said he was very fluid though. I imagined the guy from Mythbusters, but you can see what he really looks like here.

http://www.chenghsin.com/

It looks like you can buy a video of his fights from that toury.

Some of his clips look very akido-ish.

Well, he moved pretty fluidly. But I was right......

The venue for the 78 tournament was straight out of Bloodsport. I wonder if he knew Frank Dux?:D

zhangxihuan
02-27-2007, 12:28 PM
haha...prob his brother....

SanHeChuan
02-27-2007, 06:29 PM
But I was right......

The venue for the 78 tournament was straight out of Bloodsport. I wonder if he knew Frank Dux?

How so? I didn't see anything about it other than what I quoted.