PDA

View Full Version : Attn Dedalus (unbelievably OT)

boy_analog
10-14-2001, 03:30 PM
Dedalus:

I noticed in your profile that you're a med student with an interest in philosophy and brain sciences. Well, I'm a philosophy student with an interest in brain sciences.

I'd really appreciate it if you could write to me off-list at asw@acay.com.au. In particular, I'd like to know about any journals you could recommend that span these domains.

Thanks!

Andrew.

dedalus
10-15-2001, 03:31 AM
NP. Braden digs this stuff, too.

Braden
10-15-2001, 03:35 AM
Currently reading Chalmers' books on consciousness and preparing my apps for clinical and experimental neuropsychology doctorate work. Good stuff.

Dedalus - I haven't forgotten about you, I just haven't had a class yet! I will get that info for you though.

les paul
10-15-2001, 05:15 PM
Hey, have any of you guys checked out the mental and physical exercise they give people who are ADD. Much of those exercises resemble Nei gung. When I was taking a few classes in psychiatry, I learned about these exercises. They were designed to increase response of the nurons, etc.

dedalus
10-16-2001, 03:33 PM
Interesting, dkms... most of the psychiatrists I've met go straight for the amphetamines!

On a similar note, the Australian Institute of Sport has apparently recognised that training peripheral vision (much like taiji does) shortens reflexes, and so they've got certain of their athletes doing eye exercises!

Braden - how odd that a neuropsychologist should be interested in David Chalmers' philosophy... or is it (?)... unfortunately I can't recall our previous discussions on the topic :rolleyes:

Braden
10-16-2001, 06:39 PM
No so much... He is skeptical of any classical scientific approach being able to offer any answers to the 'hard question' of consciousness, but that doesn't make his philosophy any less interesting or applicable to someone using classical scientific approaches. The converse is also true, as he seems to be interested in quite a bit of classical scientific approaches as 'brain food' for his theories. If you check out his online bibliography on consciousness, there is ALOT of neuropsychology papers on it.

Personally, I'm interested in cases of "sick brains" with altered consciousness. Surely they can teach us something about normal consciousness. I think neuropsychology is a better approach for these goals than the other clinical mind/brain approaches.