PDA

View Full Version : tai chi and aikido

Aeturnal
02-26-2007, 11:23 PM
seems like they would compliment one another. theyre both soft styles that rely on using the opponents force against them....i think maybe a taiji fighter would do good to have something like aikido in theyre aresenal

ftgjr
02-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Yes. They do definitley compliment one another. I studied Yoshinkan Aikijujitsu for a couple of years and have been studying Tai Chi for the past 6 years. I have no doubt that O Sensei (founder of Aikido) was influenced by Tai Chi & Bagua. Both have re-directing and off balancing techniques. Both use horizontal motions to move an opponent and sagital to counter Chin na (locking,grappling). Tai Chi will help greatly develop an Aikido practitioners sensitivity.

shaolin_allan
03-01-2007, 10:32 AM
In aikido's advanced stages of learning you should be developing internal aspects already. Even though tai chi is a good complimentary art for many styles, the aikido should be giving you what you seek already if the instructor is good. I like japanese and chinese arts equally but it's not always a good idea to cross train in both at the same time.

Finny
03-01-2007, 06:59 PM
I studied Yoshinkan Aikijujitsu for a couple of years and have been studying Tai Chi for the past 6 years. I have no doubt that O Sensei (founder of Aikido) was influenced by Tai Chi & Bagua. Both have re-directing and off balancing techniques. Both use horizontal motions to move an opponent and sagital to counter Chin na (locking,grappling).

Yoshinkan Aikido - not Aikijujutsu.

The notion that Ueshiba Morihei was influenced by Bagua or Taiji has been pretty thoroughly discredited.

Everything found in Ueshiba's Aikido came from his studies with Takeda Sokaku in Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu.