PDA

View Full Version : need a good school in china

danMilwaukee
02-28-2007, 06:27 PM
hello
i need some help in choosing a martial arts school in china
i want to stay for 1 year and am willing so spend around $4000-5000/year
i have basic skills in wing chun and northern kung fu/tan tui so i would like to stick to kung fu and not too much wushu
i have seen 3 schools that have caught my eye
1.)yantai shaolin martial arts academy/http://www.chinashaolins.com/ not to sure about this one price is right @$3900/year 2.)siping city shaoling martial arts academy/http://www.shaolins.com/price is lil higher @4800/year 3.)wudang daoist traditional internal kung fu academy/
http://www.wudanggongfu.com/
the most expensive out the 3 @$5800 the kung fu looks smooth
i am looking for good hard training for one year anyother schools if better would help thx
ps the wudang school is internal but if its better then the rest i will consider as the kung fu there looks good
ps sorry one more if there is a good wushu school that teachers good kung fu i would consider too thx again

spiralstair
03-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Hi Dan,
Check this out:
http://www.chinawushu.org/info/schools/shaolin_nanyuan

Private training with your own coach 4hrs per day.
Private room with private toilet.(worth a lot in China)

Room+ Board+ Private instruction= approx. $4800. yearly

Good Luck with your search

Shaolin Wookie
03-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Just out of curiousity....

How does anyone train in China?

You have to 1). have the money, 2). quit your job, or gain permission for a year's leave, 3). find a place to store your ****, b/c you won't be able to maintain an apartment, 4). Find a job when you get back and a place to live.......

It seems impossible....

5,000 a year is not a lot......well, it is....to me......but not for a year's tuition (does that include living expenses?).....but severing all financial and economic security in America is huge.......

danMilwaukee
03-06-2007, 06:24 PM
thx alot school looks very nice,are those shaolin monks as coaches!
i might just check this out and go here for 6 months then wudang for 6 months

spiralstair
03-07-2007, 12:02 AM
Hi Dan,
The truth about training Kung Fu in China is often different from how one may imagine it. Wise Sifu's imparting 'ancient' knowlege to young dedicated MAist to master, thereby shortening the 'path' to mastery...

China training is a "whole" experience, one can't turn off the set after the kung fu part and go eat your usual food and sleep in your usual bed.

The Chinese seem to believe less in the necessity of the rest/recuperation part of training then is typical in the west, their trainers 'push' more... here is an example from Monday morning of a Western student during his 'stretching' session at a Kung Fu school in DengFeng:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PusTOVzQ5wE

different, no?
It can be great fun, absolutely an oppurtunity not to be missed for a young person, because it's real.
Good luck, and PM me if you want a good english speaking contact for the school linked in my first post.

danMilwaukee
03-08-2007, 05:13 PM
:)hehe some good stretching there maybe alil pushing it put hey life is a big push in the ass besides i like being pushed i just row with the flow
the main reason im going to china well is for the martial arts but also to explore and just get away from this grown up full or worry life for a while(6months-1year)i have messed up my body so much with drugs(only marijauna but still bad),sitting around and just plan bull****.when i was young i played so much sports i was in great shape tell around 17 then i fell in love started using drugs
that was 10 years ago anyway sorry for talking to much but this is something i really want to do and been wanting to do it for awhile
i feel if i dont be lazy,train smart and be nice to others and eat good food i should be alright and come back with a healther mind and body
long live martial arts!thx peace

EarthDragon
03-08-2007, 08:53 PM
danmilwaukie, be careful you will surley waste your money.
you must realize that true chinese shrfu will not teach the general public mush less if thwy have a ciriculum already established in a school setting.

These are just MA factories a true shrfu will not charge you to train ro provide you wil a place to sleep, you work for trade chores, etc etc.

unless you have a chinese friend living IN china that knows people you are flushing your money down the drain and you will learn nothing. you would be better off learning here.

It is not what you think trust me. do some serious investagating, they do not care for lazy americans that try to buy thier kung fu it can only be obtained by hard work, dicipline and loyalty by the time you find this is will be to late.

sorry to sound so harsh i commend your ambition and it sounds like you know what you want just realize they are there to take advantage of you. A true teacher can be found in the park for FREE! all you must do is go there and pratice he will see your devotion and teach you the real deal. Look up Shu Ming in Bejing park he is there every saturday and sunday monring but he wont speak to you for a few months then he will come around..

spiralstair
03-09-2007, 05:30 AM
EarthD:
It doesn't have to be that way. Check this school out:
http://www.chanwugongfu.com/
Traditional Shaolin, emphasis on appls., great reviews from Western students.

For some people having the structure of room, meals. and regular training time works well, freeing them up to concentrate on the training without outside worries.

Yeah, there's lots of cr@p Kung Fu businesses in China, just like the West, but good stuff too. One just needs to be pointed in the right direction. The school I recommended in my first post above is one way to go, the one in this post is another. You could do much worse at a zillion places in the West, and be out a lot more money and time.

EarthDragon
03-09-2007, 07:44 AM
spirialstair, you may be correct and perhaps I was a little harsh. I am sure there are kwoons over there that really care and teach the correct arts and take the time to teach non chinese, though very rare indeed.

my point is you must really know where and whom to trust in a situation that costs 4-5 thousand dollars to learn kung fu. these are not true teachers but factories set up to take advantage of eagar people who think you must go to the source to learn the real deal.

sapboy
03-09-2007, 03:57 PM
Hello Dan,

There is a Wing Chun Brother of mine that is living in China right now. He is cofounder of a Chinese Cultural/Martial Arts Center in China. You may contact him through this website.

www.freewebs.com/jingxinyuan/

His name Lin Aiwei.

Please let him know that Lawrence Ramirez referred you.

Peace, and Much Respect,

Lawrence Ramirez:D

danMilwaukee
03-09-2007, 08:22 PM
hey!thx its odd u mentioned wing chun that was my first real style i learned and i like it also i will look more into this thx peace out

danMilwaukee
03-11-2007, 03:13 AM
****!i feel u earthdragon and believe me i am going to do plenty of research before i go and i will go:)but the main reason i want to go is simple not to just learn kung fu,which i have about 2 years in it already but to get away for a year and just train most of the day and relax.u see here in america thats alil hard with all the **** going on!if i have the money china is so cheap for tuition and food that its really a bargin to go over there and relax and live!when i go for a year or so my kung fu will improve ill have a ton of time to catch up on my training and learn new stuff!and i really need to just get out of the city!

unkokusai
03-11-2007, 10:50 AM
It would be a valuable experience for you to go, I'm sure, but I wouldn't bet on living in China being as "relaxing" as you seem to think.

ling hou
03-19-2007, 12:53 PM
Something to think about is if you are under 30 then the Chinese look at you like you are a kid. So, you could not possibly know what you want (their thinking, not mine) and you must be supported by your parents, so you must have lots of money to spend.
There is also a standing order not to teach any lao wai any real gong fu. So, you have to prove to them that you are for real and worthy of teaching.
Remember most of the schools in China are backed by the government, or have ties with the government. Be careful that they are not just looking for your money. You would do a lot better finding someone in a park that ends up trusting you. They might teach you because you know someone, they see your character or they see how much passion you have for the art.

Good luck, if I can answer any questions about training in China, please ask.

Kurt Yungeberg
www.meridiangatekungfu.com