PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Dummy Technique

Chuanfa@sbcglob
03-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Would like to hear thoughts on this guys dummy technique. Looks impressive initially but it seems that he's definately attacking the hands instead of body. Still, it looks pretty impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGGX7-niZz8

Matrix
03-02-2007, 08:07 PM
Just curious. What about this video seems impressive to you?

Chuanfa@sbcglob
03-02-2007, 08:15 PM
At first glance, what looks impressive is what this guy has on a purely physical level. As one looks closer, it appears that he's doing some of the things that one should not do (i.e., attacking the arms, moving in "performance aesthetic", optimizing breathing, etc.).

I've never seen anything like this before. What are your thoughts?

t_niehoff
03-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Calasanz is "a Legend" -- if you don't believe me, go read his website: it says so right there.

Matrix
03-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Well, for starters I see too much tension and force being used. I'm also not keen on when he hunches over and torques his upper body. Now that's just my opinion. I could be totally off base here.

By the way, I can see from your profile that you're a new student of Gary Lam's, so I want to offer you congratulations on that. He's one of the best in the business, IMO. You might want to ask him what he thinks, or one of his students who frequent this forum may want to offer some opinions.

I can say with some degree of certainty, that this doesn't reflect what Sifu Lam was showing me when I was training in LA last summer.

Chuanfa@sbcglob
03-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Thanks Bill. Proud to be a member of the wing chun family after so many years in other arts.

Matrix
03-02-2007, 08:56 PM
You're welcome.
Like I said, you're in a great school. The other students are great to train with.
Enjoy the journey.

anerlich
03-02-2007, 10:22 PM
The guy has very impressive flexibility and some pretty amazing physical abilities, but gives off a strong vibe of weirdness.

There's a conditioning video of his doing the rounds of various forums - some very strange stuff on it, especially of him doing aerobics in a purple half-leotard half-wrestling outfit that reminds me of nothing more than Borat's yellow swimsuit.

I can't find that one, but here's another one which give a wider picture of his talents:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1ld_qG8Z-s

With the dummy vid, IMO it's too much like Sanchin kata (nothing wrong with that, except that it's meant to be WC) ... and that stance is just begging for an uppercut or shovel hook to the jaw.

Plus ... man, that HAIR ...

Matrix
03-03-2007, 07:19 AM
Plus ... man, that HAIR ...

Andrew,
You seem to have this "thing" about hair. First it was TJ's pony-tail and now it's Calasanz's 'fro. ;)

The one thing I like about this guy is that if you look at his comments on Youtube, he seems for the most part to be very civil and polite. He seems open to sharing and discussing ideas, not just trying to push his own agenda. :cool:

Matrix
03-03-2007, 07:25 AM
Calasanz is "a Legend" -- if you don't believe me, go read his website: it says so right there. I was just chatting with my friend Bigfoot and he says it's true.
But you know Bigfoot is still hanging on to the flat-earth theory, so I guess you can't win 'em all.

t_niehoff
03-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Calasanz's chi is so strong that it makes his hair stand on end. He is the living proof of the Ermei/HFY connection.

Liddel
03-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Man that link Andrew provided was something else...

I thought the action could have done with different music though.
Perhaps something from the collection of 'Hewy Lewis and the News'.

The dummy vids been around here before huh, at first glance i thought it might be his screen test for the part of BLANKA in the new street fighter movie :rolleyes:

Hes certainly flexible although his flashy approach or as Matt Hughes might put it
' Show boatin ' is a bit OTT though !

You can tell the physical conditioning hes been through has affected his ability to perform certain actions, his timing or sence of it is very much out of touch with reality IMO.

On the plus side - i like the pad work shown with the guy in red (simple as it is), it looks like with time and training he 'COULD' teach you how to throw your hands at least.

Just MHO ;)

Chief Fox
03-03-2007, 06:45 PM
First the most impressive thing about the video is the guy's hair.

The second most impressive thing is the force at wich he hits the arms of the dummy. This is impressive not because of his technique but because his arms are pretty well conditioned and that is it.

I'm certainly no wing chun expert but when I think of a wing chun practioner, the word fluid comes to mind. This guys form was anything but fluid. Too ridgid and kinda slow if you ask me.

anerlich
03-04-2007, 12:48 AM
thing about hair ...

You left out Brian Lewadnys mullet.

Not having much myself, I cringe when I see people blessed with a perfectly good head of hair turning it into such monstrous travesties.

t_niehoff
03-04-2007, 06:12 AM
You left out Brian Lewadnys mullet.

Not having much myself, I cringe when I see people blessed with a perfectly good head of hair turning it into such monstrous travesties.

This is what happens when you have too much chi.

Dave P
03-04-2007, 07:11 AM
There is a simple solution to this overactivity problem.......ritalin...:-)

Matrix
03-04-2007, 08:20 AM
Not having much myself, I cringe when I see people blessed with a perfectly good head of hair turning it into such monstrous travesties.Ah, so now it's all clear. It's hair-envy that we're talking about here.
It's good to know that we have so many people on the hair-vigilante squad. Gi patches are in production. :rolleyes:

t_niehoff
03-04-2007, 01:57 PM
I have a full head of hair, thank you -- so no hair envy here. This is because I orbit my chi, have opened my channels, and activated my ren and du. The WCK alchemy grows hair -- and in advanced stages makes one's hair stand on end: a sign of enlightenment. In fact, Ch'an is the ancient Chinese cure for baldness (why the bald monks practiced Ch'an in the first place). I would tell you how to do this for yourself, but unfortunately this process has the side-effect of making a person's communication unintelligible -- hence why the Tao that can be spoken is not the true Tao. (Not to mention, you'd need to sign a nondisclosure agreement).

If you have doubts, I can prove it with a biofeedback machine -- brainwaves don't lie.

anerlich
03-04-2007, 02:37 PM
It's hair-envy that we're talking about here.

I have plenty of hair ... chest, shoulders, nostrils and ears.

(there's a mental picture to ruin your appetite for a whole day)

I don't need gi patches, my body hair acts as a builtin rash guard.

t_niehoff
03-04-2007, 03:27 PM

(there's a mental picture to ruin your appetite for a whole day)

I don't need gi patches, my body hair acts as a builtin rash guard.

This is because you have not properly orbitted your chi -- it isn't getting to the top of your head (an incomplete orbit effect). So your chi is unbalanced. You must activate your ren and du. It is important to understand how the ancient chinese approached baldness, only with that mindset can you grasp the SLT alchemy of hairgrowth (not the Shaolin view of hairgrowth, but the Ermei view of hairgrowth). As the kuit says, "if your yi is correct, your hair grows by itself."

Matrix
03-04-2007, 09:19 PM

(there's a mental picture to ruin your appetite for a whole day)I can handle it. Let's face it, it could have been a whole lot worse. :eek:

Terence,
You seem to be exhibiting some very clear symptoms of chi-sickness. Take two asprins and get a good night's sleep.

Peace,

planetwc
03-05-2007, 01:43 AM
That dummy must feel violated after this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBDAprhIjAo&NR

His kiai grunting is just disturbing. It is like gollum wing chun.:eek:

t_niehoff
03-05-2007, 06:02 AM
Terence,
You seem to be exhibiting some very clear symptoms of chi-sickness. Take two asprins and get a good night's sleep.

Peace,

You only feel this way because you have not activated your ren and du. So you mistake profundity for silliness. If you only performed the SLT correctly all would be clear.

There was a farmer who had a dog,
And Bingo was his name-o.
B-I-N-G-O
B-I-N-G-O
B-I-N-G-O

There was a farmer who had a dog,
(clap)-I-N-G-O
(clap)-I-N-G-O
(clap)-I-N-G-O