View Full Version : OT: Mini Game Console

Oso
03-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Which one?

And why?

Which one has better RPG's?

RedLine
03-05-2007, 09:15 PM
LoL i like the last one, i do own not even one handheld game, and as far as i'm concerned, i don't want to own. With a computer i can make everything. So no thank you. :)

Oso
03-05-2007, 09:18 PM
so why didn't you vote?

***doh, my bad...late...***

I own a computer too.

no...wait...i'm doing this via the astral plane...learned this shiat from Little Butterfly's book...yea, that's it...the astral plane...

hellooooo...B-rad....WHY?

BruceSteveRoy
03-05-2007, 09:20 PM
dude if you are looking for a good rpg go to world of warcraft. although i hear vanguard SOH is awesome if you have 2g RAM and can afford the 20g footprint. but as far as handhelds go i personally think the cost to fun ratio is in favor of gameboy. the psp is friggin rad but it has a big pricetag. it does a lot that the other handhelds dont but if you are looking for just a portable game console i say nintendo ftw.

SevenStar
03-05-2007, 10:11 PM
kingdom hearts: chain of memories. nuff said.

I am a kh freak. I can't wait for kh3.

PangQuan
03-05-2007, 10:18 PM
i play wow, i like it. if you ever play it get on my server and ill hooks you up with some shiznat biotch!

PangQuan
03-05-2007, 10:21 PM
oh, btw i didnt vote cause computer is the answer, but then if you want it portable you need to have a wireless card and what not

B-Rad
03-05-2007, 10:51 PM
PSP has excellent PS2 quality graphics, beautiful screen, can play movies (though, most studios no longer support the UMD format), and can be easily set up for emulation giving you access to NES, SNES, Turbographics, Genesis, etc... basically giving you access to a massive back catalog of classic games if you have no issues with that legal/moral gray area, and can figure out how to get it to work ;) Some nice online functionality too.

Some things I don't like about it: The "nub" control just isn't as good as a normal PS2 controller and results in a lot of poorly controlling PS2 ports. The UMD format results in pain in the @ss, sometimes game killing, loading times. Very short battery life (maybe 2 hours) with no fix that I know of. Not a huge amount of good games, though things seem to be improving on that front. And of course it's over $100 more than Nintendo's machine.

Nintendo DS Lite has a larger quantity of quality games, longer battery life, A wider variety of game types (due to the touch screen possibilities), is backwards compatible with GBA which had many excellent rpg's, and will be getting more rpg's in the future like:
Dragon Quest IX
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Heroes of Mana (a Secret of Mana sequel)
Lunar Knights
Tales of the Tempest

I can't think of too many current RPG's right off hand on DS, other than the Mario and Luigi one, and the Final Fantasy 3 remake. Lots of good GBA rpgs you can get for it though (like the Golden Sun games).

A GBA is good if you really don't feel like spending more than $100, since they're pretty darn cheap now. DS will play all the GBA games though.

B-Rad
03-05-2007, 10:56 PM
kingdom hearts: chain of memories. nuff said.
I forgot about that one! My PS2 died before I finished the first game. Was afraid it wouldn't make much sense, without getting to far into the big brother versions... I revived it and rented the second, but my machine still has so many issues I couldn't justify the purchase :p Should've picked up a new PS2, but instead wasted my ca$h on an Xbox 360. I like it now, but that thing was pretty much a $400 paper weight the first few months, lol.

Oso
03-06-2007, 05:25 AM
thanks. I'm getting stuck in traffic a lot these days...I was sitting still for over 40 minutes once last week.

I don't think I want to step back to NES level graphics though.

SevenStar
03-06-2007, 09:57 AM
thanks. I'm getting stuck in traffic a lot these days...I was sitting still for over 40 minutes once last week.

I don't think I want to step back to NES level graphics though.

The GBA doesn't have NES level graphics - it's got SNES quality or better. They are 32 bit.

SevenStar
03-06-2007, 10:07 AM
I forgot about that one! My PS2 died before I finished the first game. Was afraid it wouldn't make much sense, without getting to far into the big brother versions... I revived it and rented the second, but my machine still has so many issues I couldn't justify the purchase :p Should've picked up a new PS2, but instead wasted my ca$h on an Xbox 360. I like it now, but that thing was pretty much a $400 paper weight the first few months, lol.

yeah, man. I jumped on the KH train late - I just copped the first one last year. I had seen the commercials when the first one originally came out - loved the music - downloaded it and have since been an utada hikaru fan - but was thinking, "FF meets disney?? Nah, that's a kid's game." One day last year I was in game stop and noticed that used, the game still held a high selling price. On a whim I bought it and got addicted to it that night. This was right around the time that KH2 came out, so I bought a copy of KH2 the week after it came out and sat on it until I beat KH. After I beat KH2 I started on chain of memories, and am now awaiting KH3, especially after seeing the trailer at the end of KH2...

I will say though, that CoM should be played BEFORE you play KH2. I was lost about a lot of the things in KH2, like the origin of roxas and what happened to sora, what the nobodies and org 13 were, etc. It came clear as I progressed through the game, especially toward the end, but playing CoM beforehand would have already given me that knowledge.

Oso
03-06-2007, 03:28 PM
The GBA doesn't have NES level graphics - it's got SNES quality or better. They are 32 bit.

ah, check.

caught in traffic today...downloaded Galaga to my phone...

BlueTravesty
03-06-2007, 03:38 PM
yeah, man. I jumped on the KH train late - I just copped the first one last year. I had seen the commercials when the first one originally came out - loved the music - downloaded it and have since been an utada hikaru fan - but was thinking, "FF meets disney?? Nah, that's a kid's game." One day last year I was in game stop and noticed that used, the game still held a high selling price. On a whim I bought it and got addicted to it that night. This was right around the time that KH2 came out, so I bought a copy of KH2 the week after it came out and sat on it until I beat KH. After I beat KH2 I started on chain of memories, and am now awaiting KH3, especially after seeing the trailer at the end of KH2...

I will say though, that CoM should be played BEFORE you play KH2. I was lost about a lot of the things in KH2, like the origin of roxas and what happened to sora, what the nobodies and org 13 were, etc. It came clear as I progressed through the game, especially toward the end, but playing CoM beforehand would have already given me that knowledge.

I read in EGM that KH2 Final Mix will have a 3D Chain of Memories-mode... I might just have to try to pick that up... I beat the first one, but never had the pleasure of playing #2...

B-Rad
03-07-2007, 10:04 PM
New DS game coming soon:

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/6792/hs1lxo4.jpg

:D