PDA

View Full Version : Short Hoi Jong Comparison Clip

hskwarrior
03-06-2007, 03:43 PM
THIS IS A CLIP I PUT TOGETHER THIS AM TO SHOW THE DIFFERENT OPENINGS FROM EACH BRANCH....

WATCH THIS CLIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbLGov7MooA

hskwarrior
03-07-2007, 12:02 PM
I know there be people out there who quickly misinterpret the purpose of posting this video cllp.

let me make it clear. typically chan family hoi jongs up to the bow are performed in a straight line pattern. as the video showed. not all the openings are the same as the one but the pattern is the same.

fut san lineage hs and bs lineages typically perform their hoi jong's in the same "L" shape pattern. although the tech's in the hoi jongs don't have to be the same, just each one is connected to specific branch.

iron_silk
03-07-2007, 02:23 PM
and I noticed after watching the video closely of the child Prodigy that Buk Sing tends not to do the three bows like in family.

I.e. in my experience chan bow front back front...either in lok gwai ma or diu gerk

Buk sing....from the videos i've seen....bow once forward...then thrust palm (chang jerng) behind...and then swing fist forward...all in lok gwai ma?

this is only from memory...

and cool vid Frank....I think you should do more commentary like videos in the future...definitely make you stand out more

hskwarrior
03-07-2007, 04:26 PM
whats up iron silk, and thanks for your compliments.

yeah about the buk sing bow, that is one of the earmarks of their branch in my opinion. then there's the part right before the bow where the feet are together and a left palm is out shoulder level and we would use thrusting fingers at the throat while buk sing uses a crane's head to strike before stepping back ing the tip toe horse kick jump and bow.

at the same time within the fut san hung sing branch the typical left palm right fist bow, the elders to us that that is what Chan Heung did, but Jeong Yim's bow was with the right palm open left fist closed. i think that bow is in one of my video's on youtube.

as we should all well know, there are different techniques in each bow, but hung sing and buk sing always use the "L" shape pattern. in the video you see my Si-hing do an opening of Prof Lau Bun's lineage then came an opening from the fut san lineage under chan ngau sing. the pattern is the same. we just don't do our bows out in a straight line as done in Chan Family CLF. Don't get me wrong, I HAVE NEVER SAID ANY ONE WAS BETTER OR WORSE, ONLY POINTED OUT THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN EACH BRANCH.

yet, that's what makes CLF so great. im speaking about the versatility of it.

frank

hskwarrior
03-07-2007, 04:32 PM
oh, i have a favor to ask of my Hung Sing folks including DFW's lineage.

in that video, my sihing is the first hung sing bow. my question is this, in chinese how would you describe whats done in that bow. it sucks not knowing chinese, but, hell i wasn't born chinese.

thanks to anyone who helps out with the desciption of moves.

peace

frank

iron_silk
03-07-2007, 04:46 PM
I am not certain if this is what you are looking for...

but I heard that the "Hoi Jong" for CLF sets is called "But Sing Tak Daw"

...again this is from memory...I dont' really know chinese that well but maybe this is a start?

Eddie
03-08-2007, 01:35 AM
Im even more confused than before. Not completely sure what you were trying to show, but it will get to me eventually. Although the movements between the chan family and the kid's video might differ slightly, the overall structure and composition of the set seems pretty similar to me.

anyways... frank, you sound like a hip hopper. :cool: You'd be a legend down here. ;)

Infrazael
03-08-2007, 06:01 AM
I think you should keep the mustache. :D

Nice vid

oasis
03-10-2007, 08:12 AM
in our opening, we also have three salutes done in kneeling stance. according to my sifu's interpretation they represent the three foundations of choy lay fut (ie, fut gar, choy fook's teachings and Lee Yau Shan's teachings). frank, do you think that difference may explain why your branch or buk sing might only do two?

Eddie
03-10-2007, 09:47 AM
there was a post about the three salutes on here a few years ago. I think the poster was sisuk (Howard Choy).

Some schools or performers onyl do one - just to shortern the form a little for performance.

hskwarrior
03-12-2007, 12:10 PM
Oasis, in all actuality Professor Lau Bun's lineage only did one bow, but in that one bow we bowed to the left, to the right and then to the center.

when we began picking up the rest of the fut san stuff we noticed they do 3 bows, and one bow as well. they also as i said earlier use the open left palm and right fist bow. something from what i understand is its the hung sing way.

regardless if buk sing only bows twice, there is still 3 movements. front back and front.

another thing i learned is that in fut san hsk they will also tap three times on the floor with their foot while bowing.

but typically when three bows are done it does represent choy lee fut.

frank