View Full Version : totally ot and mild rant

Oso
03-07-2007, 08:31 PM
what a bunch of dumbazzs

Crews rescue three ASU students lost during hike
by The Associated Press
published March 7, 2007 4:14 pm
Read 1 comment » e-mail this Print this
CHARLOTTE — Authorities rescued three Appalachian State University students late Tuesday after they got lost during a hike in the mountainous Linville Gorge area.

The freshmen students, two men and a woman, used cell phones to call the Avery County Sheriff's Office as darkness fell and temperatures dropped into the upper 30s and lower 40s. The hikers were wearing shorts and sandals, authorities said.

Rescue crews located the students shortly before 11 p.m. and lifted them to safety before midnight.

#1 Linville Gorge is just barely 'wild' (point: they could call out on cells)

#2 There is one trail at the bottom paralleling the river on the south side

#3 There is one trail on the south rim of the gorge

#4 There are multiple trails on the south side of the river that run from the bottom to the top.

That's it. If you walk far enough downstream to get to highways. If you walk far enough upstream to get to a big waterfall you can't climb and the westernmost trail to the upper rim trail.

the trails up and down are no doubt steep and a biotch but a little preplanning and maybe a MAP would have solved all issue.

this used to be one of the places I hiked/ran...way back when I was young and limber.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=35.92067&lon=-81.90375&s=100&size=l&u=4&datum=nad27&layer=DRG25

Royal Dragon
03-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Looking at that topo, The higway runs parallel to the river. If they crossed the river, all they had to do is walk back to it. Looks like there is a ridge between too.

No need for a map, just go UP, and look around for the road....

Oso
03-07-2007, 09:28 PM
basically yes. note the elevation difference. LG is one of the sheerest 'gorges' on the east coast. not an easy hike out but very easy navigation. we used to hike down the trail closest to the falls and run down the river trail and then make the best time we could up a trail called 'Sandy Flats'...a misnomer at best.

just oh, so typical freshmeat at ASU. used to watch them come and go for over a decade.

sandals and shorts at that.

FuXnDajenariht
03-07-2007, 10:15 PM
lol yea i noticed hikers have been getting lost in record numbers too. or atleast its been making the news more often. i guess they wanted in on the glamour. :rolleyes:

TenTigers
03-07-2007, 11:32 PM
I was a Boy Scout as a kid, and the lessons I learned about survival,tracking, trailing,finding food, water, shelter,direction,first aid,etc have stayed wih me. My Dad had a boat, and growing up, he made me take courses in basic piloting,seamanship,and navigation. I feel that these should be a basic part of parenting a child, right along with stranger danger, and calling 911.

rogue
03-08-2007, 05:29 AM
The hikers were wearing shorts and sandals, authorities said.

Dumb and I'd bet they were from out of state. When I first moved to the central south the local TV stations were running reminders in the spring time that while the day time high was 50+ the night times would be below freezing.

Royal Dragon
03-08-2007, 07:51 AM
I never hike in shorts, even when it's blazing hot out. I wear the hot weather BDU's. I tend to wander off the trails though, and often look for secluded places to do forms and Qi Gong. LAst year I started bringing a good twine with me because I discovered that I could use it to tie a fallen branch between 2 tress and make a solid pull up bar. Nw all I need to do is figure out how to make some good Caveman style locks, and I will be set!!

Black Jack II
03-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Let's just say some basic camping skills and how to navigate your surrondings would not hurt anyone. But more than that a little commonsense would be even better.:eek: