PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu in Vancouver, B.C.

Infrazael
03-08-2007, 10:45 AM
I'm looking for a good Kung Fu school in Vancouver, Canada. I know there's a CLF club there and I'm going to check them out, but from looking at the website they don't seem all that . . . enthusiastic about getting down n dirty (with a bit of pain). But like I said, I'll need to check them out first.

I'm also extremely curious regarding Hakka Fists. Anyone teaching SPM, Bak Mei, Lung Ying there?

Not really interested in learning a Northern Art at this moment, although I've also been interested in Baji Quan.

Not interested in Hung Kuen, btw, so you guys don't need to look for any Hung schools.

I've been searching all over google.

Thanks guys.

Infrazael
03-08-2007, 10:50 AM
This guy looks interesting. Is he legit?

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/whitecrane/

Thanks. White Crane looks pretty cool.

I also found Lung Ying!!!

http://www.yinping.cjb.net/

This looks really tight, I think I will check it out!!! :D

CLFNole
03-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Vancouver has multiple CLF schools with most coming from Sifu Wong Ha, who has retired from teaching. I would check with iron_silk and firepalm, as I think they both live there.

Three Harmonies
03-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Hu Xi Lin is up there, but you stated you are not looking for any Northern. Too bad, his Mantis and Shuai Chiao is top notch. If you change your mind www.sixharmoniesmantis.com

Cheers
Jake :)

firepalm
03-08-2007, 12:53 PM
Good Resource Page
Western Canada Chinese Martial Arts Ass'n website - www.kungfu-canada.org

CLF
Shung Ying Vancouver - www.shungying.ca
Shung Ying Richmond - www.clfcanada.com
Hung Sing Hall Richmond - www.choylaifut.com
Seto's Choy Lee Fut - www.setokungfu.com
Qun Ying Ass'n - located in North Burnaby @ Willingdon Heights School
Hon Hsing Ass'n - Pender St across from Chinese Cultural Center & branch location in Richmond operating out of www.westerncma.ca

CLF & Hakka Arts Wilson Wu's Kung Fu Ocean (located in Richmond) - www.kungfu-ocean.com Note - does application training (if this is what you mean by down & dirty)

Bak Mei, Lung Ying & Hakka Arts
Wilkie Wu's Bak Mei (located in Chinatown @ the Gee How Oak Tin Society) - www.bakmei.ca Note - does application training
Yin Ping Athletic Ass'n (Chinatown) - www.yinping.cjb.net/
Dragon Sign Athletic Ass'n (Neil Chan & Ritchie Chow) @ Kerrisdale Community Center Note - does plenty of application training
Kong Han Kung Fu Canada (located in Coquitlam) - www.konghankungfu.com

Down & dirty?....
Wuji Kung Fu Club - www.wujikungfu.com Note this club is taught by Ayron Howey 3 time member of Canadian National Sanshou teams & coach of the 2005 National team.

Shaolin Temple Canada - www.shaolintemple.ca Note this club does a lot of Sanshou training

Vancouver has a lot more to offer including various Northern Shaolin clubs, Hung Gar, Wushu, San Shou, Internal styles, etc...

Hope this helps!

firepalm
03-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Regarding your question about Master Vincent Chow, he is very legit and has been teaching White Crane for many years now. He is also a student of the late Grand Master Kwong Poon Fu, one of the top White Crane masters out of Hong Kong.

In the past he has also taught persons who went on to become full contact kickboxing champions. :)

Infrazael
03-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Firepalm man your links were awesome, you are now my hero hahaha. :D

I want to check out all those CLF schools! However, which Sifu/Teacher do you think will offer the most application and sparring, full-contact training? Thanks. :)

Infrazael
03-08-2007, 06:34 PM
So many choices, I don't know what to choose!!! THIS IS LIKE CMA HEAVEN FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

firepalm
03-09-2007, 12:40 AM
Well I can only give you my opinions which may not be 100% accurate but in so far as CLF goes;

Seto's CLF School would probably be the most application training oriented.
I can not be 100% but I believe that the others like Hung Sing Hall, Qun Ying & Hon Hsing don't do much if any Full Contact.

Wilson Wu's Kung Fu Ocean, Dragon Sign Athletic Ass'n, Shaolin Temple Canada, Kong Han Kung Fu & Ayron Howey's Wuji Kung Fu would probably give you the most application / Full Contact training.

Outside of the CMA spectrum for Full Contact training visit Chris Franco @ C Franco Pankration Kickboxing www.francokickboxing.com/. Main instructors Chris Franco & Paul Lazenby are serious straight head Full Contact / Mixed Martial Arts fighters that will probably, I hate to say it, take the heads off of most local Kung Fu teachers.

But best thing would be to check them out for yourself as I myself don't regularly visit these schools.

;)

Infrazael
03-09-2007, 02:14 AM
What is your opinion of the Bak Mei club?

I'm not interesting in MMA right now as my MMA trainer in Kirkland is among the best in the world (trains Pride & UFC fighters), so I would like focus on my Kung Fu.

However the San Shou looks really interesting, I might be giving that a go.

BTW if I may ask, what style do you train in Firepalm? Thanks.

firepalm
03-09-2007, 02:35 AM
The Bak Mei club is in my opinion one of the finer traditional clubs in Vancouver. I know that they train applications to their art but I can't testify if they go hard into Full Contact or Sanshou at this time. I do know that Sifu Wilkie Wu outside of Bak Mei has experience in San Shou (among other things).

San Shou at Ayron Howey's is top notch.

As to my own style, I no longer train in specific style but have done a couple of different southern styles and a smattering of Northern over many years. Now I just content myself by quietly practicing common CMA fundamentals, do bag work and stretch & condition for my health. I prefer to stay out of some of the politics of style and no longer align with any school.

Infrazael
03-09-2007, 04:26 AM
I will most likely train San Shou as I am preparing for this summer's Kyokushin Karate tournament.

I might go check out the Bak Mei if time allows, but I think focusing on CLF and San Shou would be best if I want to fight this summer. I think Howey's school would probably be best.

The Wuzu Quan school looked very good but hell if I was gonna do San Shou then why not just do strictly San Shou instead of going into another CMA style . . . . I mean I am still practicing CLF.

Thanks. :)

Fu-Pow
03-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Go for any school that is going to give you lots of time practicing with a person in front of you.....avoid "forms factories!"

iron_silk
03-09-2007, 10:52 AM
I wanted to post something...but with firepalm around there was no need.

but...

I just wanted to add that Shung Ying school does sparring...and from the way they perform you can tell they really focus on basics and really make sure every student has a standard of quality...quite impressive as a whole

Infrazael
03-09-2007, 11:14 AM
I will most likely train San Shou as I am preparing for this summer's Kyokushin Karate tournament.

I might go check out the Bak Mei if time allows, but I think focusing on CLF and San Shou would be best if I want to fight this summer. I think Howey's school would probably be best.

The Wuzu Quan school looked very good but hell if I was gonna do San Shou then why not just do strictly San Shou instead of going into another CMA style . . . . I mean I am still practicing CLF.

Thanks. :)

What I've been trying to do ever since I started martial arts. :)

Infrazael
03-09-2007, 11:16 AM
I wanted to post something...but with firepalm around there was no need.

but...

I just wanted to add that Shung Ying school does sparring...and from the way they perform you can tell they really focus on basics and really make sure every student has a standard of quality...quite impressive as a whole

I'll see to them . . . . you guys wanna meet up and we can have like a Field Trip day or 2 to all the local MA schools? :D

Yum Cha
03-11-2007, 04:44 PM
I've heard good things about both Ming Chan and Wilkie Wu. Good reputations, traditional perspective and practice, and many years of experience.

But, keep in mind, if you want to learn Pak Mei or Lung Ying, you don't do it by slapping on pads and going the kick boxing route.

I guess thats why our style is considered so ineffective...:p

Infrazael
03-12-2007, 12:24 AM
I've heard good things about both Ming Chan and Wilkie Wu. Good reputations, traditional perspective and practice, and many years of experience.

But, keep in mind, if you want to learn Pak Mei or Lung Ying, you don't do it by slapping on pads and going the kick boxing route.

I guess thats why our style is considered so ineffective...:p

Well that's also why I've decided to not do any Bak Mei or Lung Ying for the next few years. I really enjoy competition-oriented styles like MMA. That's why I'm going to the San Shou school instead and also continually work on my Choy Lee Fut.

I don't think I'd enjoy it very much if I didn't get to put on some gloves and duke it out here and there.

Yum Cha
03-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Fair enough, you seem well informed and motivated. Good luck. The most important thing is to find the best fit.