PDA

View Full Version : stunt

anthony123
03-09-2007, 11:48 AM
while watching the tony jaa movie ong-bak(excellent movie) i seen tony do a stunt where he is on lies on his back then flicks himself up onto his feet. can anyone tell me how this is done as i would really like to incorporate it into my training incase i fell in a street fight. thanks, anthony

doug maverick
03-09-2007, 11:59 AM
thats kinda hard to explain but any breakdancer could show you how to do it.

anthony123
03-09-2007, 12:55 PM
i really don't know what it's called but i thought it would have combat application if you fell to the ground. thanks for the help i'll try looking it up. Anthony

viper
03-09-2007, 06:34 PM
yeh its called a kip its a explosive mvment the body kinda coils up an then explodes on a upper angle i dont use my hands tho thats way they r up when i change postion. Look up kip

Jeong
03-12-2007, 01:18 PM
Sure, kips are a nice addition to MA training. Basically here's how to do it.

Start lying on your back. Roll your weight back onto your shoulder blades and pick your feet up off the ground. Your hands should reach back by your ears and place your palms flat on the ground. When I do it I bend my knees and point my feet somewhere around upwards. (Breakdancers will tell you to keep your legs straight and point your feet behind you, but this will slow the kip down a lot; removing any sort of martial application as I see it).

The next part is the most important step. You're going to to kick your legs up and out (the direction you want to go basically) with as much power as you can and at the same time push with your hands. The goal here is to lift your entire body off the ground, so push hard.

Once you're in mid-air pull your legs back and try to curl them under your butt. Pulling your legs back under will make the difference between a kip where your feet touch the ground and your fall and a kip that lands succesfully.

Try it out, it's really not a difficult thing to learn. Make sure you're doing it in a soft place though, I pretty much guarantee you'll fall on your butt a number of times.

If you want to you can try and learn how to do it without your hands. This is a lot harder. For that you really gotta push with your neck when trying to get up, and I definitely recommend a soft spot there. If you're going to try and learn this make sure you can kip with your hands in your sleep first.

SevenStar
03-13-2007, 06:05 AM
dude, you don't wanna do that in a street fight...

RedLine
03-13-2007, 08:07 AM
What if there is a roundhouse kick going for your head while you're on the ground? :eek:
j/k yeah i don't think it is practical, but never tried it so can't say for sure...

doug maverick
03-13-2007, 09:19 AM
i remember when i was a kid we use to spar in my friends back yard bare knuckle and whoever was dumb enough to do a kip up off the ground would get punch right in the face. many a bloody nose use to come out of there, we use to challange all the naborhood kids who went to martial arts schools (cause we didn't we just learned from these three older guys who knew martial arts, and would torture us) and alot them tried the kip up and got punch in the face.

Chief Fox
03-13-2007, 09:43 AM
dude, you don't wanna do that in a street fight...
I agree, you would be putting yourself into a couple of undesirable positions during the move.

1. Rolling your legs back over your head. You're taking your eyes off of your opponent and are asking to be kicked.

2. Exploding up into a standing position. Again, your eyes are off of your opponent and very few people can actually land in a standing, solid, fight ready position. So you're just asking to be knocked down again.

Here's how you stand up in a street fight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZsZTLRY_4Y

doug maverick
03-15-2007, 09:53 AM
that a pretty good way to stand up but not the only way and certainly not the best. cause your still open to attack. i've been in a few scrapes myself and noticed that attack your oppenant before getting up is always a good as it distracts them.