PDA

View Full Version : OT: Lead singer of band Boston dies

rogue
03-09-2007, 08:11 PM
I remember seeing them at Madison Square Garden back when I was in high school. That first album still blows me away. RIP Brad Delp.:(

David Jamieson
03-10-2007, 04:49 AM
Well I'm takin' my time, I'm just movin' on
You'll forget about me after I've been gone
And I take what I find, I don't want no more
It's just outside of your front door.

R.I.P Brad

I rocked a lot to that group.

rogue
03-10-2007, 02:02 PM
I was starting to get out of the regular rock genre at that time but Boston dragged me back in. That was a really fresh sound and the man could sing.

On another note, Eddie Van Halen is finally in rehab. A great talent drinking himself to death.

BoulderDawg
03-10-2007, 06:59 PM
Too clean of a sound for me. The one thing I remember is that they put out that first album then nothing for years.

VanHalen? Dam! I thought he was about dead with throath cancer.

BM2
03-10-2007, 10:27 PM
I think I was a freshman in HS when the first album (:eek: what are they called now:confused: ) came out. Man that was a bad azz cover on it too. It was a guitar shaped UFO. EVERY song on it rocked. Alas, by my senoir year, the second came out and sounded too much as a rehash of the first. The third wasn't much better,if I recall correctly.
You know, no one had that sound:cool:

BruceSteveRoy
03-10-2007, 11:33 PM
the band rocked and it is a sad passing.

Li Kao
03-11-2007, 02:36 AM
Boston did have a great debut album -- I think it's at around 17 million sold and definitely one of the best selling debut albums ever.

Brad was definitely a great singer who continued to make music and perform until the day he died, so you can say he definitely stuck with his passions.

I have alot of respect for Boston's guitarist, Tom Scholtz. Very intelligent guy -- graduated from MIT with a Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering, formed his own firm and eventually made over 20 patents in the field of mechanical and electrical design. He eventually sold his business line to Dunlop, but many people don't realize that he basically spearheaded the modern guitar sound via analog signal processing. All of the DOD, BOSS, and Digitech pedals and effects processors came about due to his pioneering work.

rogue
03-11-2007, 06:00 AM
I remember that Boston was working on their follow up when the tapes were ruined in a flood or something, and it set them back years. Never understood why.

Li Kao, Scholtz is definably a genius that changed the entire stomp box industry. I remember the Power Soak (wanted one) and the Rockman practice "amp" (had one).
He wasn't a technically great guitarist but I was blown away by how he mixed super distorted guitars with clean acoustics in some of those songs like Peace of Mind. Every time I pick up an acoustic that's still one of the first things that I play.

BoulderDawg, Van Halen had just announced a summer tour with Roth.

Ronin22
03-15-2007, 11:30 AM
They were ahead of thier time with that first album, such a distinct sound. Did you guys ever hear Brads other band? Orion the Hunter, check it out if you can find it......not too bad

GeneChing
03-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Rocker Brad Delp's death was suicide. (http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2007/03/14/family_rocker_brad_delps_death_was_suicide/)
By Associated Press Writer | March 14, 2007
CONCORD, N.H. --The family of Brad Delp, the lead singer for the band Boston, said Wednesday his death was a suicide.

"He was a man who gave all he had to give to everyone around him, whether family, friends, fans or strangers," the family said in a statement relayed by police. "He gave as long as he could, as best he could, and he was very tired. We take comfort in knowing that he is now, at last, at peace."

Delp, 55, died Friday at his Atkinson home. Police have said his fiancee, Pamela Sullivan, found him.

Toxicology tests by the state medical examiner's office showed that Delp committed suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning, said Lt. William Baldwin. Delp also left two notes taped to a door and letters to his family and Sullivan.

Baldwin said police do not know the contents of the letters because they were sealed.

Props to David Lee Roth. He had a decent tornado kick in his day. If Van Halen successfully reunites with Roth, I'll have to check that out.

The Willow Sword
03-15-2007, 07:06 PM
was saddened to hear of that news.

Gonna hitch a ride
Head for the other side
Leave it all behind
Never change my mind
Gonna sail away
Sun lights another day
Freedom on my mind
Carry me away for the last time
Oh yeah

Peace,TWS

Bagua8
03-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Brad delp was in a cover local (boston, m.a.) band for the beatles called beatle juice. my drum teacher is/was the drummer for that band. They played small venues that always sold out.I don't like the beatles but they sounded just like them.

R.I.P. Brad Delp.