PDA

View Full Version : Good or bad idea

xcakid
03-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Ever take 2 style at the same time?

Been kicking around the idea of signing up for a distance learning program with Doc Fai Wongs Choy Li Fut to augment my Long Fist training. I am just not getting too much out of the group classes. Its great to go back to basics and refresh, but would also like to received more advanced concepts. Which I am not getting attending beginners group classes. I could probably breeze through the beginner level and concentrate on intermediate level within the distance learning course.

Anyone have any thoughts on wether or not this is a good idea? (probably goes along the lines of "cross training" threads that have popped up lately). Anyone ever take to styles at once? Or started another style mid stream.

If it helps in suggestions, my back ground consists of: 8yrs Shaolin Kempo(2nd Black), 4yrs TaeKwonDo(1st Black), 3yrs of Sil Lum, 1yr of Ying JowPai(would love to study again but no schools around my area), 15yrs off and on in Arnis.

Ben Gash
03-12-2007, 09:32 AM
There's not really anything wrong with studying 2 systems at the same time, the bad idea is trying to breeze though the beginner's level. The basics in Choy Li Fut are pretty involved, and if you skim over them you'll just be doing longfist in a Choy Li Fut sequence. The key to doing 2 systems is to keep them separate in your head (until you're good enough at them that they both just become you).

SevenStar
03-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Are the priciples of the two systems similar? If not, it's possible you can confuse yourself somewhat.

xcakid
03-12-2007, 10:05 AM
the bad idea is trying to breeze though the beginner's level. The basics in Choy Li Fut are pretty involved, and if you skim over them you'll just be doing longfist in a Choy Li Fut sequence. The key to doing 2 systems is to keep them separate in your head (until you're good enough at them that they both just become you).

Good advise. Thanks. I can see how that would tend to jumble things up.

Are the priciples of the two systems similar? If not, it's possible you can confuse yourself somewhat.

They are not night and day, if thats what you mean. There are concepts that are different from one another, afterall we are talking northern and southern styles. As far as I can see, LF tends to be a bit "harder" of the 2 styles.

Thanks for the opinions.