PDA

View Full Version : Erle Montaigue's Bagua and taiji??

Harlequin
10-24-2001, 10:41 AM
Hi all, i have found an Erle Montaigue school of Bagua and Taiji in Sydney as has been recomened to me and will be going to have a look next week. Can anybody give me a bit more information on Erle montague's conections with the internal arts and his particular style etc. Would like to know abit more info before i dig in in especially from people outside of his system. Any information would be appreciated as his website was not that informative.
Thanks
Matt

brassmonkey
10-24-2001, 12:32 PM
There's a few threads concerning Erle on here if you do a search plus he used to have an online book for free that us4ed to be on his site not sure if it still is. He has some video clips but the speed of it is f'd up on my computer so it really has to take a discerning eye to understand what he is doing on them. There's a real question as to whether he does Tai Chi Chuan but even if its not and you go see the man and you think he has something to offer that's all that matters. If you have any more questions I don't know if I can help but you can email me from my profile.

dedalus
10-24-2001, 02:43 PM
You'll hear both good and bad things about Erle Montaigue - here and elsewhere. The good things will largely come from people who've met him, the bad things from people who haven't.

In my opinion you're looking at an individual with a very high level of skill - wherever he got it. Why not tell us what you reckon once you've been along?

Water Dragon
10-24-2001, 03:39 PM
I say, you're in Australia and will be learning from a teacher and not a video. Also, you will have access to the man. Go for it. Keep an open mind but keep you're bull meter up as well, you'll be OK.

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

gazza99
10-24-2001, 10:43 PM
I prefer his Taiji over his bagua. He has very practical applications, and most of his stuff is realistic for the street. like his sudden violence stuff ,The Wudang Qi disruptive katas, the 12 deadly katas etc.., are all nice and explosive. Just check it out for yourself.
Gary

"Of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong"-Dennis Miller
www.pressurepointfighting.com (http://www.pressurepointfighting.com)

Sam Wiley
10-24-2001, 11:32 PM
Hi Harlequin.

Erle runs a commercial website, selling books and videos and stuff. But if you e-mail him, he'll answer within a day or two about whatever you wrote him.

But if you want to know for the record about his styles:

Both Old and New Yang styles, including Small and Large San Shou forms, push hands, Da Lu, Old Yang Taiji Sword and Dagger, and Taiji short staff form, as well as some lesser known training and fighting methods such as the fa-jing ch'uan dim-mak methods and the 12 circular palm methods. He learned the old Yang style from Chang Yiu-chun, and the newer Yang style from Chu King-hung.

He also teaches Chiang Jung-chiao's Baguazhang, as well as Yen Te-hwa's (not sure about that spelling) linear Bagua form. In addition to these forms, there are also the Double Dragon Swords, the Dragon Staff, Bagua push hands and San Shou, and a whole host of other stuff. If I remember right, he learned his Bagua from Ho Ho-choy.

He also teaches a style he picked up in the Wudang Mountain region from a man named Liang Shih-khan. This system includes 12 forms, 9 of which use qi disruption as well as Dim-Mak and 12 push hands methods.

Harlequin
10-25-2001, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the replys guys. I spoke to the instructor of the sydney school and he seemed very nice and keen over the phone, seems as though he gets more people interested in taiji than bagua and seemed very happy that i was interested in it. So i will go and watch a class this tuesday to have a look. I have no preconceptions about the art so i am pretty sure my glass will be empty when i go. The only real exposure i have had to bagua is a book called "walking meditation" by Paul Crompton which is very good and peeked my interest in the first place. As well as what i have seen on the net of course.

Matt

brassmonkey
10-25-2001, 10:58 AM
Sounds like a good plan. There's supposed to be a couple top notch Chen TCC teachers in Australia like Chen Xiaowang and I can't remember the other gentleman's name but I'd try to look into that also b4 you make any decisions.

gazza99
10-25-2001, 11:01 AM
Whats the instructors name at the sydney school? Is it Ken, or Jon B. perhaps?

Harlequin
10-26-2001, 12:14 PM
The instructors name is Keith Brown.

gazza99
10-26-2001, 04:59 PM
I beleive I met him in 98, nice guy, if I remember correct one of his eyes was a different color? He also does massage therapy? I think that was his name , anyhow if thats the guy im thinking of he should be a great teacher!
Gary

Harlequin
10-30-2001, 03:42 AM
Its the very same man Gary. I went and watched a class last night and was impressed with what i saw, especially the Bagua. The class size was very small which suits me and the instructor informed me that he teaches people individually, so concentrating on bagua would be absolutly no problem. He teaches the 8 palm changes, the linear form and the bagua staff form. What surprised me was how similar alot of the moves were with wing chun, the foot work is completely different but the upper body moves were only slightly different. I think it will complement my wing chunvery well so i look forward to start my training in it in the new year, i.e if i don't find a bagua school closer. It is 40 min to an hour drive to this school in heavy traffic.

Matt

Gluteus Maximus
10-30-2001, 04:46 AM
Sounds great, Harlequin. What suburb of Sydney is the school in?

Cheers,

Max

Yooby Yoody

Harlequin
10-30-2001, 01:14 PM
The school is at Glebe public school on a tuesday and thursday 7pm til 830pm. Which is great because my wing chun is on a monday and wednesday night. so since i shift work i will be able to do at least one of each class during the week. There were only 3 people in the class at the time and they told me it usually only goes as high as 10. Which is strange for the quality of the instructors kung fu that i saw. I have been training in the martial arts for 15 years now with a three year break after my disillusionment with TKD looking for a style that suited me. I found wing chun and it lack of buls% and its honesty (at least that is my experience). In that time looking i saw many Mc Dojos and poor quality instructors. It may be due to lack of advertisment, i had to get the instructors contact address by e-mailing Erle Montaigue himself.

Gary :- i was just wondering after re-reading some of your coments if there was any particular reason you prefer Erle's taiji over his bagua? Is it a personal preferance or is the bagua taught by Erle limited in its depth compared to what appears to his more deeply studied taiji? I must admit some of the bagua moves in the 8 palm changes form looked like greek dance moves from zorba the greek or moves the like of which is seen in a lebanese resuraunt with a belly dancer :) .

Matt

gazza99
10-30-2001, 05:23 PM
Matt:
Ive done the linear form, and a small portion of the circular form, but I just like Erles taiji better than his baguazhang (Most likely becuase its Erles main focus as well). So taiji has been MY main focus+all of the great odds and ends I can pick up (wudang forms..dim-mak apps.etc)
Plus Chris M.(who helps me with my class) is a bagua instructor, so when the time comes for me to learn more bagua It would be easier to pick it up from him anyhow.
Gary

dedalus
10-31-2001, 07:22 AM
By way of contrast, I'm learning the taiji now but have previously preferred to focus on the bagua. The circle form goes deeper and deeper as you get better... it's a real marvel.

Don't be surprised that there was no advertising. Teachers find it demanding to transmit these arts, just as students find it demanding to learn them (hence the small class).

Brad Compte
11-04-2001, 11:13 PM
I may be a little late but, i wouldnt even think about that question, id be there the 1st chance i got. From what ive heard about him and know about one of his teachers near me, he knows what he is talking about. He is also a 1st rate guy, very nice. I cant say enough about him.

P.S. Its my 1st post. :D