PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Internal Martial Arts Schools/Teachers in Portland, OR and Denver, CO

johnmcole
10-27-2001, 10:02 PM
I'm considering a possible move to either Portland, OR or Denver, CO - and one of the factors that I'm considering is the availability of quality internal martials arts instruction in these areas.

Can anyone recommend or provide some insight into Tai Chi, Pa Kua, Hsing I schools/instructors in these areas?

Thanks very much!

John

OldFatBaldGuy
10-28-2001, 06:18 AM
Marcus Brinkman - Gao Style Pa Kua in Boulder. A fellow down in the Colorado Springs area teaches Jiulong (Dr. Painter's style) Pa Kua. Chen style Taiji - Liang Bai Ping teaches in Observatory Park on Saturdays - from what I understand, he's very good. Mike Bingo teaches Xing Yi at a school around Broadway and Mississippi....they also offer Pa Kua and Tung Family style Taiji there. I'm not familiar with the Taiji teacher. My teacher's teacher runs a school in Fort Collins (Yang/Chen/and some other esoteric forms); he was one of Waysun Liao's first group of students. Supposedly that group got the 'good' stuff; everything since then has been watered down a good bit according to rumor. I would recommend my teacher, but he doesn't have a school. He was teaching at a community rec center, but his contract was recently cancelled so we are without space right now. Pity, he really is very good

I just noticed that your profile says Hakko-ryu jujutsu - Dennis Palumbo has his school here in Aurora. I think I read somewhere that he is the highest ranking Black Belt in Hakko-ryu outside of Japan....but I could be wrong about that. Thought you might like to know. Maybe HoneySmacks will read this and have some thoughts. He's from Denver also. Good Luck.
"Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

[This message was edited by OldFatBaldGuy on 10-28-01 at 08:33 PM.]

MonkeySlap Too
10-28-2001, 07:05 AM
Outside of Denver (Glendale I think, or Aurora, can't remember) there's Chas Clements - he teaches Kun Tao Silat.

His teacher is there too - Wellem DeThouras - they don't get along anymore. Wellem is amazing to watch, but hard to understand.

Chas is crystal clear.

"Poor is the pupil who
does not surpass his
master" - Leonardo Da
Vinci

hkphooey
10-28-2001, 07:38 PM
in terms of bagua...

outside of boulder there is a yin style group i believe. check www.traditionalstudies.org (http://www.traditionalstudies.org) for a list of events.

in vancouver, wa (right across the river from portland) one of master park's students has a class i think. i can get more info if you need it.

as a seattle-ite, i am surprised at how few internal stylists there are up here in this corner of the country. =(

good luck!! (culture wise...i vote for the west coast!! i've lived in both CO and WA. i love them both, but WA wins out for it's culture and outdoor recreation.)

MonkeySlap Too
10-28-2001, 09:32 PM
Isn't Mike Sigman in Colorado too? He's an excellent Chen style player.

"Poor is the pupil who
does not surpass his
master" - Leonardo Da
Vinci

OldFatBaldGuy
10-29-2001, 01:33 AM
I think Mike moved down to Durango, CO. last year. You are right, though. He used to be in Golden. If you aren't familiar with Colorado, Durango is down in the 4 corners area (SW corner of the state).

Respectfully,

OFBG

"Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change."

eightgates
11-09-2001, 04:59 PM
Gregory Fong is in the Portland area and is knowledgeable in Yiquan (his picture is in Paul Dong's book, "Empty Force"), Wu and Chen Taijiquan, Seven Star Praying Mantis, Xingyiquan, Liuhebafa and other styles.