PDA

View Full Version : Pan Qing Fu - Mantis?

Oso
03-15-2007, 07:51 PM
I didn't know he was a mantis exponent.

Northern? Which line?

Southern?

I can't seem to find anything on the net.

Thanks.

Three Harmonies
03-15-2007, 09:05 PM
I think he is mostly a Chang Chuan cat, most of which was wushu I believe.
Jake :)

Aussie SHaolin
03-15-2007, 11:58 PM
Hi All

Pan QIng Fu knows Northern Praying Mantis. He is so fast and his fingers are like iron!

Oso
03-16-2007, 03:45 AM
ok...we get the Iron Hand bit. No disrespect intended, but, I'm curious about his lineage in NPM. Thanks.

Aussie SHaolin
03-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Hi

sorry i am not to sure of his exact TL lineage i do know though he learned in Shandong, more than likely 7 star or Mei Hua. Sorry i couldnt help!

Oso
03-19-2007, 01:07 PM
that's ok. thanks.

do you have a good web address for him? I thought he had a website but I can't seem to find it.

ninjaboy
03-20-2007, 07:03 AM
for the record, i trained with him on a few occasions and had several friends train with him on a more full time basis and, at the time (late 80s, early 90s), he promoted himself as an eagle claw stylist.

PangQuan
03-20-2007, 02:55 PM
dont know anything about him.

just read that book Iron and Silk: Mark Salzman (sp) who recieved a couple years of private instruction. at that time he was the first supposedly to get such instruction.

dunno if there is a lead you could follow on that line to get more direct information.

Oso
03-20-2007, 07:36 PM
neenjaboi!!!! :D ;)

what up? hey, when you going to be stateside again? fwiw, I'm pretty sure I'll be at the GLT this year with some students. i owe you, you hit me in the head too many times at Biggie's school. :D

I'd always thought he was Eagle Claw...but, there's a huge crossover with mantis there so....

PQ, thanks. I&S is a good book, imho. reread it several times now. Haven't seen the movie though.

I was just looking for some general info on what his mantis was out of curiosity. I've a prospective student who says she studied mantis under him for 5 years and that was sorta 'news' to me.

ninjaboy
03-20-2007, 07:57 PM
what's shakin' oso?

i know what you mean about the crossover between eagle claw and mantis but i don't think the serious crossover began before jingwu in shanghai and he was mostly a beijing guy (to the best of my knowledge) but, as you so eloquently put it, "i could be completely wrong"...lol.

no chance for coming back to north america for a while, i'm enjoying pseudo-communism too much here in china. while i would love to give you a shot at revenge and retribution, i just don't think you're ready yet....lol....kidding. that sure was a great weekend whichever way you slice it. i still haven't seen anyone's video coverage of that day....you guys get that sorted out yet?

regardless, have a great time at the GLT. hit someone for me. i don't even care who : )

neil

ninjaboy
03-20-2007, 08:00 PM
sorry, one more thing.....regarding the prospective student, ask her to show you some applications from her mantis forms....if they work, you know he (and, consequently, she) has some mantis knowledge. if not....well, you know the rest...

peace

neil

Three Harmonies
03-21-2007, 06:19 AM
I smell wushu :D

Aussie SHaolin
03-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Hi All

In regards to Grandmaster Pan Qing Fu his training is authentic. He has trained with over 1000 masters in China and is a disciple of over a dozen. He is very rich in knowledge of many styles of Chinese Martial Arts and mantis is just one of them. I have personally seen him show a little, and how to use it.

GM Pan Is very much a person who believes in usage. Yes he is a Contemporary Wushu Master aswell as he was involved in development and producing teams and champions during his time as a coach in China.

I would suggest that you train with him and experience his mantis for yourself, it is hard to describe and as many of you know it is always better to feel and experience it in person.

Oso
03-21-2007, 05:51 PM
yea, i knew that the crossover was mostly post jingwu...but, Pan is not that old so he would have been training as a youth post jingwu...

as far as the student...kinda weird...she's emailed asking for private lessons because she can't train at night...so I quoted her and she doesn't seem fazed by the price (not that I charge a great deal for private lessons) but hasn't committed yet.

have you not gotten a copy of the MQ DVD set? It's 4 discs for...$40 I think, maybe $50. I think it's totally worth it and Steve and crew did a great job in post production. There's one or two scene's I'm particularly fond of...but, I won't start any wars by telling :D

you're probably right...I'm not ready...the shoulder surgury has taken a toll for sure. :(

I'm definitely in 'coach' mode for the GLT. I've got 4 guys and 1 gal going up for san shou...strictly 'C' division this year but it's a start.

besides, we need to make it a group thing so Gary gets a chance to dump me on my head :D

Be nice, Jake. :)

Aussie, I'm just seeking info for my own curiosity. Do you know any of the mantis teachers he's trained with?

ninjaboy
03-22-2007, 03:41 AM
i'll have to check into the dvd's, i'd love to get them.....a must see, for sure. i didn't even know they were available yet.....very cool.

sory to hear about your shoulder bugging ya....take care of that....

be good broseph,

neil

Oso
03-22-2007, 04:27 AM
there is a page on mantisquarterly.com where you can make a secure purchase.

the shoulder, both of them, are just going to be a long time issue until I have at least two students capable of running the whole program for a year. I didn't take enough time off after the last surgury and basically just screwed it all up.

take care

yu shan
03-22-2007, 06:47 AM
neil

I took the video of the sparring duel between you and Matt. Keep the pressure on me so I will put this together for you. I still owe a teacher up in NY some stuff he asked for, must find the time. Hey Matt, I have the VHS of "Iron and Silk". Actually I think it is a good movie, but you are much more critical than I. Also I got a sneak peek at Shifu`s copy of the MQ gathering, and it is a must, very well done by Cottrell. I`m just broke right now, still trying to pay off 06 travel expenses.

Redfish
03-22-2007, 08:15 AM
Sorry to be an a**e but I spat out my drink on the keyboard (metaphorically) when I read "1000 masters".

If we do the rough math then in a, say, 9 year period, you could spend a total of 3-4 days with each teacher. If you trained for 20 years you might be able to get in a week per teacher.

And if it's not equal distribution then some of the training time per master might drop to down to a few minutes.

@ninjaboy

Played chess in that cafe by my house again today, it missed you.

yu shan
03-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Redfish, I did the same... wondered about that to.

Three Harmonies
03-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Redfish, this is perhaps the first time you and I are in total agreement ;) :D
1000 masters.......... :rolleyes: I sincerely doubt any such claim. He most likely spent all of his time meeting these people, rather than learning anything from them. Good marketing for the ignorant masses though! I guarantee he has more students than any of us who have only trained with one or two guys! :p
Jake :cool:

B-Rad
03-22-2007, 01:23 PM
I've heard from a couple different teachers who knew him that he's a bit prone to exaggeration from time to time (think of how fish stories get bigger with every telling, lol)... which I think is pretty obvious going by this comment :D. But he is very skilled, and did learn from some quality teachers :p

I'm not sure what his whole background is, but I think Pan Qing Fu was actually a classmate of my teacher's for a time back in China when they were young, but I didn't think to ask their teacher's name. It might have been for mizong quan though, as my teacher had mentioned him when drawing out some kind of chart for me showing different mizong quan teachers. I'm not 100% sure on everything, as I speak very little Chinese, and he speaks very little English :p Next time I get to see him I'll try to get some more details. Might be awhile though.

Three Harmonies
03-22-2007, 02:06 PM
Their is a Mizong guy in Columbus??? Interesting.
Jake

B-Rad
03-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Yeah, though he mostly sticks to teaching taiji quan, bagua zhang, and baji quan.

Three Harmonies
03-22-2007, 07:30 PM
May I ask whom it be?
Jake

B-Rad
03-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Yeah, sorry, it's An Tian Rong

SoCo KungFu
03-23-2007, 07:33 AM
Not sure of the relevance to this thread but found this in the magazine here:

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=679

"Two years later, recognized as one of China's brightest young wushu stars, Zhao Changjun was considered for the historic White House tour. The year was 1974, and wushu athletes would serve as the second group of ambassadors from the People's Republic of China to ever set foot in the United States. History labeled it "ping pong diplomacy," since the first emissaries had been ping pong players. Unfortunately for Zhao, he was kicked off the team at the last moment. Many great masters failed to pass the communists' rigorous background checks, so outstanding masters like Yu Shaowen , Ma Xianda and Pan Qingfu were cut from the tour, regardless of their skills. Their families weren't workers or they were related to landowners or they had a higher education; any such smudge on their communist record would result in rejection. But Zhao's family met the requirements. He was rejected for something entirely different. Zhao's specialty was monkey and drunken style. At the last moment, the government decided that neither form was appropriate for such a momentous demonstration. "They asked me, 'How can you represent Chinese like monkeys or drunk all the time?'" recalls Zhao. "So I was pulled. Because of that rejection, Pan Qingfu told me to change my style. Based on drunken style, we built ditang quan (falling style). Ditang had existed before, but it was lost. We hadn't seen it." This was the origin of modern ditang quan, which is what all ditang is based on today - a politically-motivated permutation developed by Pan and Zhao. The original traditional ditang quan remains hidden or lost."

Anyways I always thought his traditional stuff was from Eagle Claw....dunno why, I guess it might have been from some Disc. Channel special years back and it looked like he was trying to show some chi na or something.....

mawali
03-23-2007, 01:53 PM
A lot of the forms, at least those associated with Northern Fist and Beijing (as the capital) tend to be wushu inspired. There is alot of 'degree of difficulty' added to make flash for performance! For judging the authenticity of Northern forms, if they are over 2 minutes, and are part of competition, they are usually wushu.

B-Rad
03-24-2007, 06:30 AM
Wushu forms are usually under two minute. Time is a pretty poor way to judge a form's authenticity as traditional though, as traditional forms run from very short to very long :p

Citong Shifu
03-26-2007, 07:33 AM
When and where is the GLT? It is a tournament, right?

Oso
03-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Google for "John Irvin Cleveland Great Lakes Tournament" don't have the link handy.

it used to be a full on kung fu tourney but is now just amature san shou and shuai chaio

Citong Shifu
03-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Google for "John Irvin Cleveland Great Lakes Tournament" don't have the link handy.

it used to be a full on kung fu tourney but is now just amature san shou and shuai chaio

Ok, Thanks!

Aussie SHaolin
04-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Hi All

sorry to have taken so much time but in relation to Pan Qing Fu he has studied with 15 Famous masters and has interacted with about 1000 individuals not all wushu related.

He was born in Shan Dong and started learning from his father.

I hoepfully will have more in the future, sorry about the misunderstanding earlier in the thread.

my bad!!