PDA

View Full Version : Is Hsing-I a good intro to Internal arts?

kennysci
03-17-2007, 06:56 AM
Hello,
I am going to have to give up my training in Karate due to injuries. I'd still like to train in a martial art that is a little similar, but not as ####### the body. I've read up and it sounds like Hsing-I is a good bridge between Karate and Internal Chinese Kung Fu.
Would you recommend me starting with Hsing-I, given my backround and state of health? I am nearly 40 and have problems with knees and shoulders. Could Hsing-I help with my health while also being a practical martial art?
Thanks
Ken

Royal Dragon
03-17-2007, 07:36 AM
Yes, absolutely!! If you are in Chicago, look for Wai Lun Choi's people.

Justaguy
03-17-2007, 08:17 AM
1. Yes Xingyi is a great place to start. In my own experience studying internal arts, it was hard for me to use power in taiji and softer styles. Xingyi was easier for me to get a feel for internal power because it uses the same posture and principles as taiji (at least how I was taught both arts), but does it in a more obvious way. Once I could get a feel from it in xingyi it was easier for me to get a feel for it in bagua and taiji.

While I'm sure that this is just a question of what's personally suited for me - some people may find taiji an easier place to start- considering that you're already doing Karate it might be a good place to start.

2. Doing xingyi well won't be a problem with your injuries. Doing it poorly, on the other hand ... I've seen people have problems. One student in my teacher's school got a lot of back problems doing xingyi. Nobody else at the school had the same problems, so it was probably how he was practicing, rather something in the xingyi itself. Which is just to say the obvious with any exercise - pay attention to your body and know your limits.

Mas Judt
03-17-2007, 08:55 AM
Xing Yi is considered a very practical, direct, brutal method.

It was a prefferred art for bounty hunters and caravan gaurds.

taught properly, it is a very vigorous practice. The thing that makes it better for people with some types of injuries, is that you learn to use your body in a more natural way, than say in Karate. The sophisticated body movement can correct many errors that result in self-damage.

However, if you are looking to fix your health, go find a good physical threapist and do some pilates.

Also note, the Karate training will work against you in groking the unique nature of most Xing Yi.

I'm not sure Xing Yi is the solution for people 'too old' for Karate. Although I am also sure there are plenty of new age Xing yi guys out there...

JetLi'sFearless
03-17-2007, 11:30 AM
IMo I was never impressed at all by the vids of this style on the internet. It looks pretty weak imo, bagua and event tai chi just seem alot better and have alot mroe to offer (even if its only push hands in tai chi). They block with like two hands at the same time and dont really sue a guard at all, and their strikes are kinda weak vertical fist type to the body you cans ee coming form miles away. Bagua seems really awesome though as they train the coordination and balance of the bdoy by semi sparring on bricks whil;e moving aorund, and conditioning all their body parts to strike like even the calf.

Royal Dragon
03-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Try crossing hands with a good Hsing I guy and com back and tell us it's weak....:rolleyes:

Hsing I is a awesome art. Even if you wish to explore other internal styles, I recomend first learning and drilling the Five Fists of Hsing I, and learning to fight with them. It's like a gateway to understanding the other internal styles.

If you have issues with old injuries, Hsing I will help as it teaches a more natural body structure, and how to use your power much more efficiently thorugh a more in depth study of body structural alignment, and mechnanics.

JetLi'sFearless
03-17-2007, 02:29 PM
didnt a bunch of sanda guys in china beat them up already?

Royal Dragon
03-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Hsing I guys do fight sanda sucsessfully.

Did you know that in 50% of MMA fights, an MMA guy loses?

MMA can't be that good if it only gives you a 50/50 edge.....:rolleyes:

JetLi'sFearless
03-17-2007, 02:39 PM
name some hsing yi guys who fight sanda using xingyi and not sanda (sanda isnt just a format its also a style).

Justaguy
03-17-2007, 03:34 PM
name some hsing yi guys who fight sanda using xingyi and not sanda (sanda isnt just a format its also a style).

I haven't heard of any such fight - do you have the details? How would that show that sanda was superior to xingyi? I would take it to mean that an individual sanda fighter beat an individual xingyi fighter.

sunfist
03-17-2007, 06:27 PM
I'm not sure Xing Yi is the solution for people 'too old' for Karate. Although I am also sure there are plenty of new age Xing yi guys out there...

Yi Quan is definitely the place to look if you are wanting a more theraputic feel to your training.

JetLi'sFearless
03-17-2007, 07:22 PM
I haven't heard of any such fight - do you have the details? How would that show that sanda was superior to xingyi? I would take it to mean that an individual sanda fighter beat an individual xingyi fighter.

Ill look for mroe info but I would suggest as emptyflower, if I rememebr right it was a smal meet where xingyi guys were to spa each other abnd they all looked like bad sanda guys, and a few sanda guys came in and cleaned house or something.

PangQuan
03-17-2007, 09:44 PM
one incident does not decide totality.

perhaps this situation has happened. perhaps not.

this would not describe the style as a whole, only those particular practitioners.

you seem to vaguely recall this situation at best, i dont think ill take your word from that shady description to discount many mens hard work toward developing a martial art that was round long before you were.

JetLi'sFearless
03-18-2007, 12:32 AM
I havent seen a single vid from that style online that looks remotely good. Its the worse kung fu style of all imo.

Prairie
03-18-2007, 01:31 AM
Assuming their is good instruction available, xingyiquan is not only a good bridge to CMA but an excellent end point as well. Substitute baguazhang or taijiquan and the sentence would be equally correct.

Quit hurting yourself and start building yourself back up. No need for people to beat you down if your training does it already to the point of injury.

Judge Pen
03-18-2007, 01:47 AM
I havent seen a single vid from that style online that looks remotely good. Its the worse kung fu style of all imo.

We all know what opinions are worth....:rolleyes: Let's judge everything from what we can find on youtube!

blackmantis
03-18-2007, 04:55 AM
Xingyi is an amazing martial art. At a very basic level, I would say it takes about 6 months for a student to be able to fight with some confidence. Xingyi's simplicity covers up the incredible depth and subtlety of what I believe to be one of the finest fighting systems in the world.

Aside from fighting however, Xingyi develops the mind like no other system I have ever practised. The mental training, qigong, visualisation and especially the honing of intent has positive effects on daily life - in particular confidence. The mind is capable of transforming the physical body, whether through placebo or other means, and Xingyi uses this to move qi and develop high level skills.

Xingyi is not the most visually impressive art, especially when compared to modern Wushu, most Shaolin systems and Bagua; the Chinese are aware of this however - "Bu hao kan, hen hao yung" - "it doesn't look good, but it works VERY well".

People who have had no experience with the art, and whose knowledge of the system goes as far as a "xingyi" search on Youtube really are not in the position to comment, and clearly should be ignored. Talking of Youtube however, here is a short demonstration of the immense power Xingyi can create - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hia5zi0-oXU

Hope this helps,

S

JetLi'sFearless
03-18-2007, 08:19 AM
We all know what opinions are worth....:rolleyes: Let's judge everything from what we can find on youtube!

even the books onm it showing techniques like the yang jwing ming book look like crap. Its funny how just like in karate the main punch (beng quan) has one fist on the hip chambered.

Judge Pen
03-18-2007, 09:29 AM
even the books onm it showing techniques like the yang jwing ming book look like crap. Its funny how just like in karate the main punch (beng quan) has one fist on the hip chambered.

That's right, karate stinks too and you can learn all you need from a style by reading a book. I'd give you a .02. Pretty lame, really.

Royal Dragon
03-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Is the guy in the Youtube vid named Alex?

Royal Dragon
03-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Xingyi is an amazing martial art. At a very basic level, I would say it takes about 6 months for a student to be able to fight with some confidence. Xingyi's simplicity covers up the incredible depth and subtlety of what I believe to be one of the finest fighting systems in the world.

Reply]
Agreed.

blackmantis
03-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Is the guy in the Youtube vid named Alex?

Yes, Alex Kozma - one of the most skilled martial artists I've ever met!

As for JetLi'sFearless' comments on Beng Quan and Yang Jwing Ming I have the following to say; Beng Quan is without doubt one of the most powerful techniques in the martial arts, and to quote B. K. Frantzis, "it is often considered to be the most powerful straight punch in all the Chinese martial arts". Reading a book by Yang Jwing Ming, an individual who does not practise Xingyiquan as his primary or even secondary art, does not put you in any position to even consider commenting on Xingyi. Instead of watching videos and reading books, I suggest you cross hands with a Xingyi person and then make up your mind.

It's not really necessary to defend Xingyiquan, as it is clear that it is respected among high level martial artists. I suspect however that JetLi'sFearless doesn't quite fit into that category...

Royal Dragon
03-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Have you been exposed to Alex's Southern Tai tzu?

kal
03-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Hi Ken,

I see from your other thread(http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45424)
that you are looking at joining a school affiliated with James Mcneil.

As I wrote, you will be in very good hands, especially if the teacher is in close contact with sifu Mcneil.

Mcneil is very well known in internal arts circles (no pun intended!) and his lineage in Hsing-I Chuan comes from two masters in taiwan I believe. He used to write a lot for Inside Kung Fu magazine, back in the days before it turned crap.

Why not get his book on Hsing-I (you can get it on Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hsing-i-James-McNeil/dp/0865681554/ref=sr_1_1/202-9690409-5537449?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174239812&sr=8-1) ) and see if it sounds like something you want to do?

Where in England are you based? In London there is Alex kozma.

Good luck

blackmantis
03-18-2007, 11:34 AM
I've never seen Alex's Southern Tai Tzu, I wasn't aware he practised it. I've seen and felt his Xingyiquan and Baguazhang, both of which are incredible.

As for him being in London.... if only! Like most high level teachers I've met he tends to be going around the World most of the time, and home for him is in fact Thailand.

The problem with Xingyi is that there's a lot of fake nonsense out there. I live in Bloomsbury in Central London, and there don't seem to be very many high level people around...

Justaguy
03-18-2007, 12:17 PM
Yi Quan is definitely the place to look if you are wanting a more theraputic feel to your training.

Or try to find a teacher that has some background in either TCM or western medicine, so that he'll be able to know what to look out for. I can think of at least 2 or 3 xingyi teachers in NYC that practice or teach massage or related things - I don't know if you'd be able to find someone with that kind of background in your neck of the woods.

JetLi'sFearless
03-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Yes, Alex Kozma - one of the most skilled martial artists I've ever met!

As for JetLi'sFearless' comments on Beng Quan and Yang Jwing Ming I have the following to say; Beng Quan is without doubt one of the most powerful techniques in the martial arts, and to quote B. K. Frantzis, "it is often considered to be the most powerful straight punch in all the Chinese martial arts". Reading a book by Yang Jwing Ming, an individual who does not practise Xingyiquan as his primary or even secondary art, does not put you in any position to even consider commenting on Xingyi. Instead of watching videos and reading books, I suggest you cross hands with a Xingyi person and then make up your mind.

It's not really necessary to defend Xingyiquan, as it is clear that it is respected among high level martial artists. I suspect however that JetLi'sFearless doesn't quite fit into that category...

if its so respected why arent any mma or even sanda guys cross training in it. and jang jwing ming's book on bagua actually looks really good, unliek the xingyi book there is sparring in the bagua book.

Water-quan
03-18-2007, 02:54 PM
Well, this thread makes me laugh - and cry, lol. "My stlye is better than your style..."

All styles have benefits, and the highest level, it's irrelevent who does what, or how the path was, in my view.

Focussing on my style is beeter than your style is focussing on the scum - the top of the water - the surface form - not the insight and ability that it is intended to lead to.

For someone interested in learning a so-called internal martial art, Xing Yi is as good as any of the others. Which answers the question actually posed. Bagua, for example, would really bad for someone with shoulder and knee problems, whereas Xing Yi's direct line method is quite un-taxing on the physical.

Originally, Xing Yi had no forms, and was sometimes called Yiquan, so it certainly has the gateway potential for deep insight in to internal method training.

fa_jing
03-18-2007, 04:35 PM
if its so respected why arent any mma or even sanda guys cross training in it. and jang jwing ming's book on bagua actually looks really good, unliek the xingyi book there is sparring in the bagua book.

Heh. What Sanda and mma guys are training any TMA? Bagua maybe?

Hsing -yi guys hit hard, I can tell you that.

blackmantis
03-18-2007, 04:55 PM

Your posts are painful to read; Xingyi isn't an art to "cross train" in. Xingyi is an art that takes time to develop real skills, and an art that requires devotion.

MMA and Sanda people are not training in Bagua either, and yet because you've seen pretty pictures you seem to think a lot of Bagua.

It's really pointless responding to you as you've clearly never crossed hands with a Xingyi player. If you want to feel the power of Xingyi, you're welcome to visit me any time.

Judge Pen
03-18-2007, 05:23 PM

Isnt' it past your bedtime? Since there's no sparring in the book, then the xing-yi guys obviously can't spar! :rolleyes: Go troll somewhere else.

Royal Dragon
03-18-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally, Xing Yi had no forms, and was sometimes called Yiquan, so it certainly has the gateway potential for deep insight in to internal method training.

Reply]
Actually Yiquan is rather new, and may have ben influanced by Hsing I.

Hsing I goes back as far as the Sung dynasty and was around cenruries before Yiquan.

JetLi'sFearless
03-18-2007, 07:03 PM
have you guys saw those taikaken vs karate vids where the karate whipped on them? taikiken is some derivative of yiquan cause the founder is form Japan and he was one of the yi quan founders top students, also yi quan comes directly form xingyiquan.

JetLi'sFearless
03-18-2007, 07:14 PM
here are some:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkC35VbWGvw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pBquv4-VV8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFqV2zZ50SU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX_U28_qmZw

the old guy I think is that kenchi sawai dude.

D-FENS
03-18-2007, 07:43 PM
If you're over 40 with joint problems, I'd probably start with something like Tai Chi or some mild Qigong to build your health up, and only then get into the harder, more physically demanding stuff. The thing about Hsing-i is that it's a great starting point, however you MUST have a good teacher. It looks simple enough on the outside, but internally there is a great amount of detail. And if one link in the chain is weak, then everything else will be "off" so to speak.

Best of luck on your chosen path

blackmantis
03-19-2007, 12:50 AM
have you guys saw those taikaken vs karate vids where the karate whipped on them? taikiken is some derivative of yiquan cause the founder is form Japan and he was one of the yi quan founders top students, also yi quan comes directly form xingyiquan.

Taikiken is not Xingyi. Therefore any comments you make about Xingyi when you refer to Taikiken videos (yet again looking towards Youtube as a source of knowledge) do not apply.

Xingyi's awesome whether you want to believe it or not. The problem with it is, you actually have to experience it rather than looking on the internet... (But then I would have thought that is the same with all TMA)

JetLi'sFearless
03-19-2007, 12:56 AM
I thought most people on this forum even the kung fu only people already admitted mma and spport styles are superior? Again why are there impressive clips of muay thai, boxing, wrestling, etc. all easily accessable on the itnernet but hardly any cma and none at all of xingyi? dont you think there is a reason for this? dont you think if it was a good style tito ortiz would be travelling deep into china seeking it out since mma fighters ar elooking for that extra edge?

blackmantis
03-19-2007, 01:04 AM
Superior at what? Certainly not at fighting - I for one have used TCMA on the streets several times and can vouch for its effectiveness. Fighting in a ring with boxing cloves, learning how to cuddle your opponent lying on the floor doesn't really appeal to me. Besides, if it goes to the floor then you clearly haven't delivered enough power... but then MMA guys don't know how to do that.

JetLi'sFearless, what martial art do you study? Do you study from a book?

JetLi'sFearless
03-19-2007, 01:05 AM
but almost all the topics I see on this forum praise mma, and this is embarassing imo considering even kung fu people make fun of their own style or think its ifneiror to their competition, I find that kinda odd. Actually on other kung fu forums its kinda similar, and they keep making threads why their heroes dont fight in the ufc.

blackmantis
03-19-2007, 01:08 AM
dont you think if it was a good style tito ortiz would be travelling deep into china seeking it out since mma fighters ar elooking for that extra edge?

The kind of people into MMA are not the kind of people for whom Neijia appeal. If you like wearing boxing shorts and wrestling with other men, you are probably not interested in the psychological and spiritual benefits of the Neijia. Two different audiences.

blackmantis
03-19-2007, 01:10 AM
but almost all the topics I see on this forum...

Again, you're using an internet forum as some sort of conclusive evidence. Besides, why would people practise KungFu if they thought it was worse than MMA - there's no logic in your argument.

JetLi'sFearless
03-19-2007, 01:16 AM
actually alot of them seem to switch, alot of users on this forum for instance who were die har dkung fu now learn mma (like that ray guy who was all about itnernal kugn fu),c asue of all the peer pressure on these forums finally turning their thinking aorund, so these forums really do have a large ifnluence on the ma community and there is probably alot of kung fu and tma people switching to mma all the time because of these forums.

JetLi'sFearless
03-19-2007, 01:17 AM
The kind of people into MMA are not the kind of people for whom Neijia appeal. If you like wearing boxing shorts and wrestling with other men, you are probably not interested in the psychological and spiritual benefits of the Neijia. Two different audiences.

the psychological and spiritual aspects of neija should not be a motive to learn it as according to its history the past people who learned it neve cared about it and only learned it to fight, so it is competing for studentship with other fighting styles imo if it claims to fight better.

blackmantis
03-19-2007, 01:30 AM
These higher qualities of Neijia are not distinct from fighting; a sharpened mind has heightened reflexes, and increased qi circulation leads to more power. Neijia is not Yoga - it is used for fighting.

I also suggest that people who spend all day on internet forums are not the most enlightened experts on kung fu.

But hey, if you want to learn kickboxing then go for it - you don't strike me as someone for whom Neijia or high level traditional martial arts would be suitable. Go learn how to do roundhouse kicks, hooks and wrestling on the floor (preferably not from Youtube).

But hang on... what do you think of Baguazhang?

JetLi'sFearless
03-19-2007, 02:25 AM
baguazhang looks alot more impressive to me, I really dont dig the weak ass straight ebng quan punch with the other hand at the hips.

Water-quan
03-19-2007, 02:31 AM

Reply]
Actually Yiquan is rather new, and may have ben influanced by Hsing I.

Hsing I goes back as far as the Sung dynasty and was around cenruries before Yiquan.

Hi Royal Dragon - thanks for taking the time to respond. We've probably just got a bit of confusion creeping in there. Modern Yiquan, as founded by Wang Xang Zhai dates from the thirties and fourties, as I'm sure you know. However, according to Wang, Xing Yi originally had no forms, and "Yiquan" was already being used to describe Xing Yi before Wang, by his teacher. Hope that clears that up.

blackmantis
03-19-2007, 02:32 AM
Well then you undermine everything you stated about MMA being superior.

Xingyi trains form - the rear hand moves back to create power. When fighting, a Xingyi player does not use form - it's like practising scales for a musician. I didn't realise you did not know that; it's kind of basic...

Many great masters in time have practised both arts (Sun Lu Tang, Wang Shu Jin...etc.), if Bagua was better then they would not have practised Xingyi.

By the way, I practise both Heibei Xingyiquan and Cheng Baguazhang, and can honestly say neither is superior; they work beautifully together.

blackmantis
03-19-2007, 02:33 AM
I'm talking to JetLi'sFearless by the way!!

Water-quan
03-19-2007, 02:34 AM

You mean this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkC35VbWGvw

There's an edited version about that only shows the karate guys hitting the Taikikken guys - very funny. In fact, Kyoukushinkai is also related to Yiquan - they are actually martial arts cousing, sharing a lineage through sawai.... interestingly enough.

Water-quan
03-19-2007, 02:36 AM
I thought most people on this forum even the kung fu only people already admitted mma and spport styles are superior? Again why are there impressive clips of muay thai, boxing, wrestling, etc. all easily accessable on the itnernet but hardly any cma and none at all of xingyi? dont you think there is a reason for this? dont you think if it was a good style tito ortiz would be travelling deep into china seeking it out since mma fighters ar elooking for that extra edge?

Maybe they are.

Water-quan
03-19-2007, 02:44 AM
actually alot of them seem to switch, alot of users on this forum for instance who were die har dkung fu now learn mma (like that ray guy who was all about itnernal kugn fu),c asue of all the peer pressure on these forums finally turning their thinking aorund, so these forums really do have a large ifnluence on the ma community and there is probably alot of kung fu and tma people switching to mma all the time because of these forums.

In my view, there's really no difference. All that matters is goal. what is a person's goal. Superficial characterizations like Chinese and foreign, external internal mean absoloutely zero.

Personally, I say, over and over, Western boxing, a lot of karate, MMA, Muay Tahi are light years ahead of 99.999999 of CMA - light years.

And yet, I've been watchign tons of MMA recently - most MMA fighters aren't actually technically brilliant. I was watching two fatties have a knocabout on the UFC, and I thought, well, they;re not actually all that good - and to be honest, they weren't - they weren't great boxers or wrestlers, but they were up for it and they were in the ring. I figure a good boxer would have knocked either of them clean out, or a good judo guy would have taken them down.

The first part of the equation is to get CMA back in to reality. The second part of the equation is to not let that process go too far in to saying MMA is the total answer, in my view - because I don't think it is. There's still a massive depth of knwoeldge in CMA, once the scum is taken away, leaving the distilled stuff.

MMA also needs approaching with a relaity check - dis-appoint expectations before we appoint them. Some MMA guys are exceptional, most aren't, actually - there's thousands of so so... but, all the so so ones are alos really tough, and could defeat 99.999999 % of CMA stylists.

Personally, i say fusion of the correct methods from all styles, but with a foundation based not on learning vast amounts of techniques, but with the TRUE philosophy of formlessness that comes from CMA.

JetLi'sFearless
03-19-2007, 02:47 AM
well actually the other day I saw a street fight between two ex cons, one I wouldnt want to mess with just looking at his tatoos, and they actually threw straight punches at each other (didnt see any haymakers) before the tie up, and it looked really brutal adn violent (I never saw a mma or sport fight that had me shocked like this), I think in streetfights unlike sport fights the person who is willing to become more violent and agressive due to adrenaline and fight no matter how many hits they take and use their size advantage will win, skills dont matter that much as size and pure agression cause theyll just egt close to you so you wont be able to use any footwork or anything esp in a crowded street so itll be just a slug fest anyway. How many of you can admit that when you saw a streetfight that particualrly looked violent you were a bit shocked by the brutality vs the sparring you are used to or watching on tv, and questioned your own training? or you gotten into a fight and everything you learned including simple boxing went out the window in a second? Thats hwo it goes, unless your supremly confident and violent and big and have alot of streetfight experience using your style, it will generally go out the window. mma fights ar emore like sparring, they feel each other out and are afraid to get hit, a real crazy streetfighter who has been in alot of fights and is really violent adn can throw straight punches and is really confident will just sue his adrenaline to take any of those jabs or leg kicks and jsut ruin through you.

Judge Pen
03-19-2007, 03:01 AM
Are you still trolling this thread?

This thread is about a karateka wishing to train in neijia and specifically xing-yi. The consensus is, of anyone with any real experience with xing-yi, is that its an excellent art to train in. The guy isn't interested in being an mma fighter (or a street fighter for that matter) nor does he care about your aestic misunderstanding of Xing-yi. You want to dig up the whole spart vs street vs TMA topic and jump on that merry-go-round, start your own thread.

golden arhat
03-19-2007, 03:58 AM
in a word

yep :D

blackmantis
03-19-2007, 04:17 AM
I'm very sorry to reply - I just can't help myself. However...

About a month ago I was attacked in London by a group of people near Euston. I was punched at, but blocked the punch and hit my agressor in the mouth. I then ran as things were getting very dangerous... however, I used a TCMA technique on this ocassion, and it worked pretty darn well.

So when people refuse to accept TCMA' effectiveness, they are simply wrong.

JetLi'sFearless
03-19-2007, 04:24 AM
that guy was probably really weak though, most people cav ein after tkaing one punch, however those two ex cons fighting I saw on st patricks day got hit straight on in the face with straights and kept fighting really violently too, the tatood up mother fuka had a shirt ripped and everything, and he kept wlaking toward the other dude the whole time ebfore the other guy even hit him, to his face and everything, and the other dude kiept trying to elave and the tatood up criminal looking dude (which scared me just looking at him) kept going at him toward him, thant ook a hti to the face lamsot without flinching before it started. lol the way that guy looked, the size advantage of both of them over me, the agression they displayed, and the fact I felt powerless to sotp it before occuring even though i knew it would, made me realize just how unimportant ma comapred to mental toughness and hardness in life really is. And I really doubt I would have even been able to step in if one of them was getting killed in that situation, nor do I doubt any neija or any of that other crap would have helped me or a neija guy would have stepped in in a 2 on 1 even (or 1 on 1 with oen guy getting beaten to death) with such beasts.

blackmantis
03-19-2007, 04:29 AM
Why was he probably really weak? Because it suits your purpose? I hit him so hard that there was blood coming out of his mouth. I think I knocked out a few teeth...

You sound quite a lot like Mega_Fist...

JetLi'sFearless
03-19-2007, 04:30 AM
ok Im not syaing hes weak, but did he actually fight you or just take a punch and lose his willingess to fight, anyway its alot harder to punch someone taller than you with a long reach advantage.

Judge Pen
03-19-2007, 04:45 AM
Look at the sign: "Don't feed the trolls"

blackmantis
03-19-2007, 10:12 AM
ok Im not syaing hes weak, but did he actually fight you or just take a punch and lose his willingess to fight, anyway its alot harder to punch someone taller than you with a long reach advantage.

He was the same height as me. He attacked me and lost. Your posts are as ignorant and foolish as Mega_Fist's, but without the humour.

Is Xingyi a good intro to the Internal Arts? Yes. End of story.

Water-quan
03-19-2007, 11:48 AM
the tatood up mother fuka had a shirt ripped and everything, and he kept wlaking toward the other dude

WITH a ripped shirt???? Wow! One tough hombre!! ;)

shaolin_allan
03-22-2007, 03:32 PM
Any internal art can be transitioned into. Don't forget, aikido is considered an internal art as well. Me personally my background was in hard external styles as well having done traditional taekwondo. I now currently do sun bagua and xingyi and have had no problems with moving to these arts.