PDA

View Full Version : old kung fu masters fight

Black Jack II
03-18-2007, 04:14 PM
A couple of posts down Knifefighter was asking for an example of actual kung fu techniques used in sparring, so I came across this dozy, its a exhibition fight from 1953 between two kung fu masters, one is white crane and the other tai chi ch'uan.

The film is a grainy and the fight starts at the 1:50 mark but the real question is why does this match for the most part, look oddly worse than half the high school slugfests you see on youtube??

Plus were is this form specific technique a lot of people say one can see from good kungfu in a sparring match, I see a lot of haymakers, some wheeling chain punches which may or may not be part of the one guys system, some horrible kicks, hardly any defense.....:confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S19VsB7__v0

lkfmdc
03-18-2007, 04:23 PM
The 1953 clip is a GREAT EXAMPLE of what happens when you practice in your school, with your classmates, never compete and base your perception on that experience. The hype leading up to this debacle was amazing, both guys said they would decimate the other, people worried there would be a death, many feared the evil "death touch".....

The white crane guy, Chan Hak Fu, was so disgusted by his performance that he formed his own organization and changed the way they practiced. They started sparring with boxing gloves ...... back then there were also people who said "real kung fu has no gloves"... yet when the Thai's started showing up at the Hong Kong open, at least Chan's students held their own, the "real kung fu" guys got frequently KO'd in under a minute

Black Jack II
03-18-2007, 04:31 PM
Ah, if anybody would know the backstory on that chinese boxing match it might be you lkf, good info.

Wonder what peeps are going to say?

David Jamieson
03-18-2007, 05:36 PM
it's crap and that clip is an old rube.

Black Jack II
03-18-2007, 05:42 PM
That was so horrible, I thought it might be better to put a quick collection up of a real martial artist doing his thing in the ring. The one...the only...the Manassa Mauler himself.

King of the Heavyweights and skilled man of combat judo.....:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4BSSWN335c

Knifefighter
03-18-2007, 07:11 PM
I came across this dozy, its a exhibition fight from 1953 between two kung fu masters, one is white crane and the other tai chi ch'uan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S19VsB7__v0

This is a good example of styles that are set up along theoretical parameters of how fighting "should" be. These styles train along the parameters of how they think fighting should be. However, they rarely, if ever, test out their theories in realistic situation. Because of this, on the rare occassions when they do fight, their fighting is completely different from their training.

While that is an example of a style made up based upon the realities that are observed from constant testing... because of this, training and fighting techniques are almost exactly the same.

CLFNole
03-18-2007, 08:06 PM
For the longest time the fighting tournaments in Hong Kong had no "official" winner. This way no sifu lost face. I know my sifu was involved in starting tournaments that had fighting with a winner chosen and he took a lot of heat for it from older masters who like it the old way.

The Xia
03-18-2007, 08:23 PM
If anyone wants to use it as a weapon to knock Kung Fu, there are retorts for that. Sifu Lai Hung has an impressive ring record and defeated Muay Thai fighters. That's a good one. What now Knifefighter? :p

neilhytholt
03-18-2007, 08:27 PM
This is a very famous old fight. A terrible example of martial arts of any type.

You know, I bought gear for safe partner training, gloves, pads, etc., but when I tried to do partner training people would do bad aikijitsu/wing chun type of stuff and they spent 90% of the time talking and 10% training.

And that was when people actually trained. A lot of the time they just want to teach -- not really train give and take.

I don't know the solution. Problem with a boxing sparring partner is they just punch.

Anyways, if anybody figures it out, let me know. And please don't mention these:

a) throwdowns. (Not enough sparring practice beforehand -- how are you supposed to fight?)

b) partner practice. Are you really willing to give and take, or are you just gonna talk a lot and want to teach?

c) schools. I don't give a crap what your school has to offer or signing up for your monthly program, so just save your breath.

It really seems like the old adage is true. CMA guys just like to argue.

Royal Dragon
03-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Yeah, once you make black sash, it's all down hill!!

lkfmdc
03-18-2007, 08:49 PM
it's crap and that clip is an old rube.

How so? It is two very famous masters from very famous lineages.... just because they look like crap and it isn't conveinant to accept that, you want to dismiss it?

neilhytholt
03-18-2007, 09:07 PM
How so? It is two very famous masters from very famous lineages.... just because they look like crap and it isn't conveinant to accept that, you want to dismiss it?

They're crap. You know, there are a lot of stories about different masters going and training with different people, Li Cunyi, Sun Lu Tang, Dong Hai Chuan, Cheng Ting Hua to trade techniques and stuff.

But try to do that today and you get a sales pitch from whatever school you want to train with. Nobody wants the random person coming in to train with them.

Partner training -- people are too greedy. They want to teach or do their techniques but they don't want to trade off.

So you have the combination of schools trying to sell, people who are greedy, and what you have is a low skill level because people can't cross-train effectively. Every new school they have to start over learning a bunch of worthless forms.

So if you figure out the solution (and I bet lkfmdc will say study sanda with big puffy gloves ... as will any sanshou/sanda advocate ... LOL ... I think we should call him Puff Daddy) let me know.

neilhytholt
03-18-2007, 09:08 PM
Yeah, once you make black sash, it's all down hill!!

Once you make black sash, you dare never fight because if you lose, you'll lose face and all your students.

lkfmdc
03-18-2007, 09:27 PM
They're crap. You know, there are a lot of stories about different masters going and training with different people, Li Cunyi, Sun Lu Tang, Dong Hai Chuan, Cheng Ting Hua to trade techniques and stuff.

But try to do that today and you get a sales pitch from whatever school you want to train with. Nobody wants the random person coming in to train with them.

Partner training -- people are too greedy. They want to teach or do their techniques but they don't want to trade off.

So you have the combination of schools trying to sell, people who are greedy, and what you have is a low skill level because people can't cross-train effectively. Every new school they have to start over learning a bunch of worthless forms.

So if you figure out the solution (and I bet lkfmdc will say study sanda with big puffy gloves ... as will any sanshou/sanda advocate ... LOL ... I think we should call him Puff Daddy) let me know.

Suddenly, I am beginning to think you are Neil/Lung......

1. Your post has nothing to do with mine
Chan Hak Fu was a senior student of Ng Siu Chung, who was a student of Wong Lam Hoi, who was a student of Sing Lung

Wu Kung Yi was of THE "Wu" family that started Wu style, ie he was a close to the source as you could get

2. We do MMA with 6 oz gloves. Hardly "puffy"...

how many ring or cage matches have YOU had? :rolleyes:

neilhytholt
03-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Suddenly, I am beginning to think you are Neil/Lung......

1. Your post has nothing to do with mine
Chan Hak Fu was a senior student of Ng Siu Chung, who was a student of Wong Lam Hoi, who was a student of Sing Lung

Wu Kung Yi was of THE "Wu" family that started Wu style, ie he was a close to the source as you could get

2. We do MMA with 6 oz gloves. Hardly "puffy"...

how many ring or cage matches have YOU had? :rolleyes:

Oh, give me a break. Of course I'm Neil.

You said, these guys suck because they didn't cross-train. I was AGREEING with you.

Anyways, why do I waste my typing on you people, anyway? Whatever.

Knifefighter
03-18-2007, 10:05 PM
If anyone wants to use it as a weapon to knock Kung Fu, there are retorts for that. Sifu Lai Hung has an impressive ring record and defeated Muay Thai fighters. That's a good one. What now Knifefighter? :p

Well, we have the clip of that not so great fight... so, we have evidence that, at least on one occassion, he didn't fight so skillfully.

Now show one where he is fighting a MT fighter to provide some evidence that there might have been an occassion where he showed more skill.

Sifu Lai Hung has an impressive ring record and defeated Muay Thai fighters.

Can you list the events in which he fought and which opponents he beat please?

neilhytholt
03-18-2007, 10:14 PM
Well, we have the clip of that not so great fight... so, we have evidence that, at least on one occassion, he didn't fight so skillfully.

Now show one where he is fighting a MT fighter to provide some evidence that there might have been an occassion where he showed more skill.

Here's an idea ... all the CMA fighters face off against all the MMA fighters ...

... and whoever wins, can take on the sport hunters.

Okay? :)

Anyways, this entire debate is kindof pointless, isn't it? Lkfmdc wants more sanshou/sanda/mma students. Knifefighter wants more who knows what ... fights ... personal training students? He is a BJJ black belt after all. Hung ga wants more hung ga students. Yang taiji wants more yang form students... of course you're not going to agree because you all have conflicting agendas.

Water-quan
03-19-2007, 02:50 AM
Well now, seeing is believeing! Very funny... The biggest lesson is to see the process here - now, on this forum that causes that disgraceful show...... the process of making excuses instead of learnig the lessons. There's no excuse for that kind of thing - none. The process of making excuses is killing CMA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-ZBR51Tewg

golden arhat
03-19-2007, 03:56 AM
That was so horrible, I thought it might be better to put a quick collection up of a real martial artist doing his thing in the ring. The one...the only...the Manassa Mauler himself.

hey wasnt that the guy who knocked joe louis down ? u know the nazi ?

Water-quan
03-19-2007, 04:16 AM
Max Schmelling?

Black Jack II
03-19-2007, 10:09 AM
Lkf, I don't know much about Neil, but Lung used to finish his musing with the exact same ending as Neil just did...

Anyways, why do I waste my typing on you people, anyway? Whatever

No, that was not Jack Dempsey. Dempsey was one of the finest heavyweights in existance, he broke attendance and financial records for the period, his most famous fight would be that of the Long Count between himself and Gene Tuney, a lot of his past is written down in many books at this point.

During World War II, he became a commander in the U.S. Coast Guard and put in charge of crafting a hand to hand combat/physical fitness program for its soldiers, he was adept at stripped down jujitsu, having studied with Bernard J. Cosneck who wrote the book American Combat Judo and Andy Filosa who was a wrestler, boxer and jiu jitsu player. Jack wrote what some call the finest manuel on boxing ever created, its called Championship Fighting: Explosive Punching and Aggressive Defence, its part of my own collection and he also wrote with Frank Menke a book titled How to Fight Tough, it is a instructional on pier six style cqb for the soldiers.

He said something really wicked once that became a famous quote-"I can't sing and I can't dance, but I can lick any SOB in the house."

neilhytholt
03-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Lkf, I don't know much about Neil, but Lung used to finish his musing with the exact same ending as Neil just did...

There's just no point to these arguments. People just want to further their own agenda, and that isn't exactly cooperation. There is no benefit to cooperation because most people want to make money from martial arts, or do so eventually.

Besides, this clip is OLD ... it's been brought up on forums many times over the past 10 years or so, and always went nowhere.

cjurakpt
03-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Anyways, why do I waste my typing on you people, anyway? Whatever.

a question asked many times, yet apparantly never answered, since you do keep comming back

it's certainly not for the stimulating intellectual exchange, since you repeatedly decry the lack of that (in your opinion)

my guess is that, despite what you profer, you are simply addicted to the attention that your polemics generate, nothing more, nothing less; you maight be bored, lonely, whatever, so you come here to supplement what is missing in your life...

neilhytholt
03-19-2007, 10:36 AM
a question asked many times, yet apparantly never answered, since you do keep comming back

it's certainly not for the stimulating intellectual exchange, since you repeatedly decry the lack of that (in your opinion)

my guess is that, despite what you profer, you are simply addicted to the attention that your polemics generate, nothing more, nothing less; you maight be bored, lonely, whatever, so you come here to supplement what is missing in your life...

Actually, the reason I came back this week is that I had to quit my teacher because he refused to have partner practice, and I was looking for some training options. This isn't the only board that I went to the past couple of weeks.

Unfortunately, as usual, I didn't find a solution to this problem.

SevenStar
03-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Ah, if anybody would know the backstory on that chinese boxing match it might be you lkf, good info.

Wonder what peeps are going to say?

I actually posted that clip a few years back, I used to host it on my server. It's been posted here several times since then. I can't remember where I originally found it, but It's circulated A LOT over the years. That clip was from a fight in macau around 1954. Apparently, one of the guys was a taiji master, and the other white crane. If I remember correct, the taiji guy is the son of the man credited with founding that particular style of taiji...

cjurakpt
03-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Actually, the reason I came back this week is that I had to quit my teacher because he refused to have partner practice, and I was looking for some training options. This isn't the only board that I went to the past couple of weeks.

Unfortunately, as usual, I didn't find a solution to this problem.

so I guess your business here is concluded then?

neilhytholt
03-19-2007, 10:58 AM
so I guess your business here is concluded then?

I guess so.

Look at the arguments. It always comes down to the same players. You have:

a) Sanshou/sanda (lkfmdc, GoldenArms, etc.) essentially saying that CMA doesn't fight, so do sanshou/sanda.

b) MMA/BJJ (knifefighter and whoever else) saying CMA sucks so do MMA

c) Traditionalists who claim just forms are all you need and maybe a few drills and point sparring.

d) Taiji people who are constantly defending their turf.

It pretty much goes nowhere because this is just a sales board, after all. People come on here to sell their programs, evidently, so if you're not selling anything it's kindof pointless.

PangQuan
03-19-2007, 11:06 AM
you forgot a section of individuals.

e) people who arent concerned with the arguments and train as best they can with what hey have available.

MasterKiller
03-19-2007, 11:08 AM
f) People who obsess about mat-herpes.

PangQuan
03-19-2007, 11:13 AM
g) those funny b@stards that make me spit water on my monitor.

neilhytholt
03-19-2007, 11:20 AM
you forgot a section of individuals.

e) people who arent concerned with the arguments and train as best they can with what hey have available.

Do you think it's because as a society, we don't do well with cooperatives? If you look at the dominant organizational structures, there businesses, corporations, governmental institutions, educational organizations, but there are very few cooperatives.

Cooperatives are usually social events, so of course when people get together for cooperatives they would probably organize it like a social event. That's probably why outside class practice sessions turn into social events.

neilhytholt
03-19-2007, 11:21 AM
f) People who obsess about mat-herpes.

Laugh while you can, but soon most MA classes will probably have modify their protocols (bare feet, etc.) due to MRSA and mat herpes, etc.

cjurakpt
03-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Laugh while you can, but soon most MA classes will probably have modify their protocols (bare feet, etc.) due to MRSA and mat herpes, etc.

repent, for the end is indeed nigh...

(I guess it's only a matter of time for the judo people as well - I mean, they might have gotten away with their unsanitary habits for the 1st hundred years or so, but that's probably right about to change...)

also

h) people who can't fathom that the reason why they continually alienate large cross-sections of on-line forum members might actually have something to do with their attitude and method of how they present themselves, rather than a conspiracy against them by society at large...

neilhytholt
03-19-2007, 11:45 AM
repent, for the end is indeed nigh...

(I guess it's only a matter of time for the judo people as well - I mean, they might have gotten away with their unsanitary habits for the 1st hundred years or so, but that's probably right about to change...)

Yep, MRSA is pretty nasty business. Even Judo will have to change what they're doing unless they come up with some better drugs for it soon.

http://judoforum.com/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=32&showentry=303

(This, BTW, is of a girl who broke her ankle doing judo and had to have surgery and got a bad staph infection ... meantime her judo gym is in quarantine due to a MRSA outbreak from the wrestlers that train there ... afterwards she continues training judo with a staph infection, evidently. Pretty messed up stuff.)

h) people who can't fathom that the reason why they continually alienate large cross-sections of on-line forum members might actually have something to do with their attitude and method of how they present themselves, rather than a conspiracy against them by society at large...

There's no conspiracy. There's just a lot of people who like to put up attitude and put people down rather than really discussing things.

SevenStar
03-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Well now, seeing is believeing! Very funny... The biggest lesson is to see the process here - now, on this forum that causes that disgraceful show...... the process of making excuses instead of learnig the lessons. There's no excuse for that kind of thing - none. The process of making excuses is killing CMA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-ZBR51Tewg

sticking with that example (yiquan) look at at his forms, then look at his drills - his bag work is basically jabs and crosses with his footwork - If I had no clue it was a clip of a CMA guy, I'd guess that he was an entry level boxer. (Note that I am not saying his skill level is entry level - I have no clue who he is. I am saying that from a boxing perspective, as opposed to a yiquan perspective, there are some things that are wrong) His forms looked like what you saw in his push hands, but his drilling was way different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7s0PNHdAB8&mode=related&search=

in the above clip, you can see the form work in the push hands - but it looks good, as it is cooperative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs8HWoSoS6U

that clip is not cooperative, so understandably it looks much less like the form.

this clip is of san shou training, supposedly from the yiquan style. It looks nothing like anything you see in the forms, but it does look like ring fighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIun2B_I-s0&mode=user&search=

This is why people question the necessity of forms practice...

The Xia
03-19-2007, 01:18 PM

Just because something isn't on video doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I'd have to do some digging for the specifics but if you run a search on Lai Hung you'll find many mentions of these fights. I believe one of the fighters he competed against was Bing Leung who was a top-notch Cambodian boxer. I remember reading that the fight ended without a winner being decided and there was a miscommunication with the referee.

Water-quan
03-19-2007, 01:27 PM
sticking with that example (yiquan) look at at his forms, then look at his drills - his bag work is basically jabs and crosses with his footwork - If I had no clue it was a clip of a CMA guy, I'd guess that he was an entry level boxer. (Note that I am not saying his skill level is entry level - I have no clue who he is.

Did you mean the link that I put up? It's all getting confusing! The link I put up was the Yao brothers - famous in some quarters - training when they were younger.

Dude, say what you want! Honesty - that's what we need!

Their father, Yao XongZun, incorporated a lot of boxing drills in to his Yiquan method, hence the boxing connection. They do their bag work, seemingly, very relaxed. Not sure it's a lack of power though - more a training way. Interestingly, I've been thinking that myself lately - if maybe excessive power work on the bag might be harming me, and maybe I should do it a bit more like that Yao brothers.

By forms, you mean the movemnts and stuff at the beginning? It's not forms, SS - Yiquan has no forms - it's called shili and mocabu - trial of strength and friction stepping - it's an exercise desgined to improve the body's ability to move and act as a whole, integrated unit. Well, in theory.

I am saying that from a boxing perspective, as opposed to a yiquan perspective, there are some things that are wrong) His forms looked like what you saw in his push hands, but his drilling was way different.

Ok. I think myself the push hands argument tends to go in the wrong direction. To me, push hands is a training exercise - quite a useful one, just for learning about the feel of movement and how people push you and pull you. I think most of us have probably had encounters known as "shirt grabbers" lol - that niggly, pre-fight grabby pushy thing. I think that's where push hands teaches useful things.

Punching is always going to look different to the push hands stuff because it has a different purpose. A punch isn't ever going to look like a push hand technique - but I still think both are useful. Point being that we have to know if the criticism is aimed in the right direction. As in, does push hands training need to look like kick boxing training - or are they two different things, for two different types of dealing with a person?

But - good - that's what we need, honest, open criticism - everything should be made to justify it's appearence in the training regime. If it can't justify itself, then why is it there! Myself, I find push hands, and the shili stuff to have improved my level a great deal - a hell of a lot more than forms trainign ever did!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7s0PNHdAB8&mode=related&search=

in the above clip, you can see the form work in the push hands - but it looks good, as it is cooperative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs8HWoSoS6U

that clip is not cooperative, so understandably it looks much less like the form.

Well, that's fair comment. I think in training, push hands needs a certain level of cooperation, because it's like beign a training dummy for your partner, allowing him to feel and react at his own level. I think for the competition shown, they should just have a fight if they are going to have those rules - I can't see the point in it.

this clip is of san shou training, supposedly from the yiquan style. It looks nothing like anything you see in the forms, but it does look like ring fighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIun2B_I-s0&mode=user&search=

This is why people question the necessity of forms practice...

Well, Yiquan doesn't have forms of course. But, the questuion is a good one - I also totally reject the need for forms - in fact, I think they cripple people. But, what you saw the Yao brothers doing wasn't forms - it's the catchign of a certain feeling - it can be done with any movement, or freedom movement. I'm not saying it works or has mystical powers - just saying that that's the rationale behind it. I don't practice Yiquan.

Knifefighter
03-19-2007, 01:55 PM

Of course not... but if the only evidence on video is of crappy fighting, one has to wonder.

SevenStar
03-19-2007, 01:59 PM

That is true. But you gotta wonder about something like that... If you see a guy who looks like he has absolutely no skill, wouldn't it set off a red flag when you hear or read that the exact same guy stomped several thai boxers? While I'm sure there have been cma guys who have beaten thai boxers, After seeing that one vid, I would NEVER believe that he was one of them.

SevenStar
03-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Did you mean the link that I put up? It's all getting confusing! The link I put up was the Yao brothers - famous in some quarters - training when they were younger.

Dude, say what you want! Honesty - that's what we need!

No, I like the clip, and the drills. I am referring only to the difference between the way they look in push hands, the way they fight and the drills that they are performing.

Their father, Yao XongZun, incorporated a lot of boxing drills in to his Yiquan method, hence the boxing connection. They do their bag work, seemingly, very relaxed. Not sure it's a lack of power though - more a training way. Interestingly, I've been thinking that myself lately - if maybe excessive power work on the bag might be harming me, and maybe I should do it a bit more like that Yao brothers.

why and how would it harm you?

Ok. I think myself the push hands argument tends to go in the wrong direction. To me, push hands is a training exercise - quite a useful one, just for learning about the feel of movement and how people push you and pull you. I think most of us have probably had encounters known as "shirt grabbers" lol - that niggly, pre-fight grabby pushy thing. I think that's where push hands teaches useful things.

Punching is always going to look different to the push hands stuff because it has a different purpose. A punch isn't ever going to look like a push hand technique - but I still think both are useful. Point being that we have to know if the criticism is aimed in the right direction. As in, does push hands training need to look like kick boxing training - or are they two different things, for two different types of dealing with a person?

I wouldn't expect push hands to look like a strike anymore than I would expect clinch work to look like a strike. But, as you said, there are specific practices for that. Neither look like forms work. I wasn't aware that yiquan had no forms, however, I was thinking that the first part of that clip was from a form.

Water-quan
03-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Hi SS...

why and how would it harm you?

Well, just the genral impact of it on my arms, and fists and shoulders. I train a lot, and I suppose I hit quite hard now, so I just wonder if that could be damaging me with the impact of it.

I wouldn't expect push hands to look like a strike anymore than I would expect clinch work to look like a strike. But, as you said, there are specific practices for that. Neither look like forms work. I wasn't aware that yiquan had no forms, however, I was thinking that the first part of that clip was from a form.

No, it's caled shili and the step is macabu - they're all kinds of, or extensions of standing meditation. The idea is a bit like the taiji feeling, but freestyle.. althiyg there are some standard ones to teach people the basic idea - eventually leading up to free shadow boxing.... catching the relaxed feeling, trying to learn how to maintain the same relaxation when actually fighting. It's an interesting method and seems to work. Well, it worked for me, but, the reasons why I think are hard to put in to words - it's not enough to say practice slow then speed up - because it;s more to do with the feeling of total body integration. The punches are practice dlike that as well.

Yiquan is well known for an emphasis on relaxation and freedom.

No, no forms - Wang Xiang Zhai, the founder of Yiquan is the original "forms suck" guy - FROM TMA!

neilhytholt
03-19-2007, 02:33 PM
No, no forms - Wang Xiang Zhai, the founder of Yiquan is the original "forms suck" guy - FROM TMA!

You seem to be forgetting WHY he didn't practice forms, which was because the govt. didn't want him to be doing martial arts.

Basically, I don't remember the entire history but supposedly Wang Xiang Zhai was Guo Yunshen's best student, then met a xinyi guy, Huang Muqiao, who beat him, and decided that what he got from Guo Yunshen was unsufficient.

So supposedly he practiced and taught the methods he got from Huang Muqiao, which included a lot more partner work and some sort of dance, and developed it and called it Yiquan and then later Great Achivements boxing.

But supposedly he hadn't totally gotten rid of forms at this point.

He was very famous, and got lots of challenges, and had a school, and at some point around 1949 the Communists won and came to check him out. At that point he stopped doing martial arts and he published several articles talking about health and martial arts (sound familiar -- Yang Cheng Fu), and that was the end of the fighting and the forms entirely.

SevenStar
03-19-2007, 03:04 PM
Well, just the genral impact of it on my arms, and fists and shoulders. I train a lot, and I suppose I hit quite hard now, so I just wonder if that could be damaging me with the impact of it.

I dunno... over years of hitting a bag for several three minute rounds, several days per week - literally thousands of punches per week - I haven't seen any damage. Variation is great, and I do both speed and power training on the bag - but I wouldn't back off of power training from fear of damage to myself.

Water-quan
03-19-2007, 03:20 PM
You seem to be forgetting WHY he didn't practice forms, which was because the govt. didn't want him to be doing martial arts.

Basically, I don't remember the entire history but supposedly Wang Xiang Zhai was Guo Yunshen's best student, then met a xinyi guy, Huang Muqiao, who beat him, and decided that what he got from Guo Yunshen was unsufficient.

So supposedly he practiced and taught the methods he got from Huang Muqiao, which included a lot more partner work and some sort of dance, and developed it and called it Yiquan and then later Great Achivements boxing.

But supposedly he hadn't totally gotten rid of forms at this point.

He was very famous, and got lots of challenges, and had a school, and at some point around 1949 the Communists won and came to check him out. At that point he stopped doing martial arts and he published several articles talking about health and martial arts (sound familiar -- Yang Cheng Fu), and that was the end of the fighting and the forms entirely.

Reading this made me feel like I need to lie down for a day! If you are actually interested in the real truth, you can check this link:

http://www.jiayo.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4029

At the bottom of which is an interview with Wang.

Water-quan
03-19-2007, 03:23 PM
I dunno... over years of hitting a bag for several three minute rounds, several days per week - literally thousands of punches per week - I haven't seen any damage. Variation is great, and I do both speed and power training on the bag - but I wouldn't back off of power training from fear of damage to myself.

Well, I am not a spring chicken, so I wonder in my case. I do some, minimal weight trainign as well, which I've also cut, because it just doesn't feel in harmony with my body any more. I've not cut the bag work yet, just wondering if it could be harmful. Thanks for the advice.

Water-quan
03-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Reading this made me feel like I need to lie down for a day! If you are actually interested in the real truth, you can check this link:

And then this:

http://www.yiquan.com/v3/en/index.htm

Some times we hear stories, and assume that they are true. Wang's letting go of forms was due to wisdom, and a genuine interest in real fighting. I'm not sure who told you otherwise, but they were lying for their own agenda.

neilhytholt
03-19-2007, 03:30 PM

It was these types of interviews occurring after the Communists took over that made it seem like it was revisionist history, but who knows. I have no idea.

neilhytholt
03-19-2007, 03:30 PM
And then this:

http://www.yiquan.com/v3/en/index.htm

Some times we hear stories, and assume that they are true. Wang's letting go of forms was due to wisdom, and a genuine interest in real fighting. I'm not sure who told you otherwise, but they were lying for their own agenda.

Actually they told me what you said, and it seemed logical that they were lying for their own agenda because they were Commies. LOL

Water-quan
03-19-2007, 04:35 PM
It was these types of interviews occurring after the Communists took over that made it seem like it was revisionist history, but who knows. I have no idea.

All of the relevent information is in the public domain. Yiquan was more of a pre-JKD idea - nothing to do with communists.

Water-quan
03-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Actually they told me what you said, and it seemed logical that they were lying for their own agenda because they were Commies. LOL

Well, all you can do is trust your own intution.