PDA

View Full Version : Punching with weights... (oh no, not this again!)

Mr Punch
03-18-2007, 11:39 PM
OK, I know what you're all thinking... but I've now seen lots and lots of MMAers and some boxers training on youtube (can't look for any egs now cos I'm at work) by punching with weights... I don't mean straightening the arms out but just cycling lots and lots of short, non-extended uppercut type movements, or shorter jab-type movements...

So apart from for freaks like Bas Rutten, does anybody have any experience/opinions on this?

Chief Fox
03-19-2007, 07:45 AM
I think punching with weights is okay. I think kicking with weights on your ankles is okay. BUT and this is a BIG BUT. If you are careless and let the weight control your motion instead of you controlling the weight, there is potential for injury. There is potential for injury in any kind of physical activity if you use poor form. You just have to use your head and some common sense.

SevenStar
03-19-2007, 09:51 AM
I don't see a problem punching with light weights. Boxers have been doing this for years. I wouldn't recommend doing it with heavy weights, nor would I recommend kicking with any weights. The legs are so strong that I just can't see kicking with a 2lb weight adding any serious benefit. Kicking with heavy weight is dangerous.

Samurai Jack
03-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Here's a third vote for punching with weights. I used to do it all the time. I suggest going slow and light. The purpose of such exercise isn't to go quickly anyway; all you'd be doing in that case would be throwing the weight... which by the way is an AWESOME exercise for punching power: I sometimes go to the park and throw a dumbbell shot-put style for reps.

SevenStar
03-19-2007, 03:09 PM
throwing the weight... which by the way is an AWESOME exercise for punching power: I sometimes go to the park and throw a dumbbell shot-put style for reps.

agreed. I do something similar with my medicine ball. I mimic punches with it though, as opposed to a shotput or discus style.

AJM
03-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Been doing it for forty years and never hurt myself.

stricker
03-19-2007, 05:07 PM
i think this is one of those things of HOW you do it. throwing the weight out and then snatching (not in the oly sense) it back would make sense to me.

steve morris is big into the punching with weights thing, i'd have to find my way through his long dvds to dig up his exact method and rationale. maybe nick f could chime in?

my guess is punching to full extention could damage the shoulder, so using shorter punches and pulling the weight back might alleviate that.

also one fighter i know likes to go running with dumbells held up in a high thai guard, he finds it helps him keep his hands up.

Mr Punch
03-19-2007, 06:03 PM
You just have to use your head and some common sense.Are you being a smart-arse, or do you just not know me?! :D

Thanks for all your answers, chaps.

Been wanting a medicine ball, but don't have the dough for it yet... I do some explosive exercises with 5kg bags of rice sometimes (mostly underhand throws and grab catches) but there's always the danger they'll split on me, then all the kung fu wouldn't be enough to save me from my wife!

The running with a high guard and weights I've tried, but I have recurring problems with some kind of damage round my t6 so I have to watch that.

AJM, how do you do it?